RTA
Wordsmith
RTA
0 Kudos

Re: sara palin

[ Edited ]

Same here, Jon.  And, actually, with the whole market issue, I was expecting theater attendance this season to be on the lower side.  However, all the theaters, both the smaller and larger have been packed around here.  A theater in my area had to extend a run of Candide (not normally the most popular of productions) by a few weeks and I’m still finding it hard to get tickets.  My city also, in addition to all its commercial film theaters, has four independent houses.  Those are also quite busy.  Earlier this year I went to see a 10:30PM showing of The Rape of Europa, expecting the place to be empty.  At 10:30 at night I had a hard time finding a good seat to an art documentary. 

Neither our commercial or independent film houses, theaters, concert halls, (among them three dedicated to orchestral concerts), etc. are hurting for attendance. 

EDIT: And that doesn't include the numerous outdoor activities that would qualify as community social events.  My city and its businesses/organizations host tons of outdoor events; I couldn't possibly attend all the ones that actually attract me.  Just last week I was walking through the city and some of the restaurants and bars in the area were hosting an Oktoberfest.  The blocks were so packed, streets closed, etc., that I walked six blocks out of my way in order to get to my destination.  There are numerous outdoor festivals during fall, spring and summer, and even a few in winter, that attract hundreds of people. 

Message Edited by RTA on 10-07-2008 01:16 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Poor Sarah Palin.  Madonna has banned Palin from her show.  I'm sure that devestates her.
0 Kudos

Meh.

What's more interesting than this piece of non-news is that while we are all aware of what a voracious reader you are, I never would have taken you to be a Prefix reader!

Everyman wrote:
Poor Sarah Palin.  Madonna has banned Palin from her show.  I'm sure that devestates her.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: sarah palin

Maria_H wrote:

Meh.

What's more interesting than this piece of non-news is that while we are all aware of what a voracious reader you are, I never would have taken you to be a Prefix reader!

Everyman wrote:

Maria,

I don't know what the *word*  "Meh"  means. ?

My response to the Madonna article is, "who cares".  No sarcasm in what I say.  More food added to the already moldy fodder.  More like a suffix.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I'm not.  I read a squib about it elsewhere and looked up Madona and Palin in Google News.

Maria_H wrote:

Meh.

Everyman wrote:

0 Kudos

i have to disagree with all of you... Sara Palin is great, she has five children and still has to be a mother no matter how much money she has. I dont believe in disliking or judging someone because of their amount of income. If you read her book you would know she has done a lot in her community as mayor and governor... She has even gone up against her own party. I think the "change" Obama represents can be found in Sara.

Oh and by the way Some Mothers work harder than others.

SARA PALIN MAKES 160,000 combined income with her family for the year of 2007 where do you get off thinking shes rich? CAN WE SEE OBAMAS TAX RETURN FOR LAST YEAR?

New User
loveyourself
0 Kudos

Re: Sara palin

your opinion is respected . but if you have children you should know you can not control your kids once they walk out that door.. you can teach them right instill values in them, either way you can not be with them all the time. kids will be kids, i do not believe it is anyones buisness.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I guess, its where you are coming from, to me, 160,000 is way on the uprise of becoming rich. Government jobs pay to much especially at the top. If only the government would at least freeze the salaries even if they want lower the freaky high ones. Lawmakers,Senators,Vice presidents and Presidents, are suppose to be in it for their country and not to wallow in wealth. But they do. The salaries might sound high to some, which to me, they sound high, but still look at their benefits. They get free parking, free catering, free everything. It wouldnt surprise me if they didnt get house allowances in d. C. I know the president does of course. And does every congressman and senator get their salaries for the rest of their lives like the vice president and president. That is too much! Just look at the poor firemen,police officers and school teachers and social workers. They honestly have to be in it for to help their country's mankind and their salaries reflect that also.

loveyourself wrote:

i have to disagree with all of you... Sara Palin is great, she has five children and still has to be a mother no matter how much money she has. I dont believe in disliking or judging someone because of their amount of income. If you read her book you would know she has done a lot in her community as mayor and governor... She has even gone up against her own party. I think the "change" Obama represents can be found in Sara.

SARA PALIN MAKES 160,000 combined income with her family for the year of 2007 where do you get off thinking shes rich? CAN WE SEE OBAMAS TAX RETURN FOR LAST YEAR?

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

loveyourself wrote:

kiakar wrote:

I guess, its where you are coming from, to me, 160,000 is way on the uprise of becoming rich. Government jobs pay to much especially at the top. If only the government would at least freeze the salaries even if they want lower the freaky high ones. Lawmakers,Senators,Vice presidents and Presidents, are suppose to be in it for their country and not to wallow in wealth. But they do. The salaries might sound high to some, which to me, they sound high, but still look at their benefits. They get free parking, free catering, free everything. It wouldnt surprise me if they didnt get house allowances in d. C. I know the president does of course. And does every congressman and senator get their salaries for the rest of their lives like the vice president and president. That is too much! Just look at the poor firemen,police officers and school teachers and social workers. They honestly have to be in it for to help their country's mankind and their salaries reflect that also.

That's considered rich for my area too. Many of our living expenses are lower so it balances out but not all of them.  We live in the poorest county of our state and our state has the highest taxes. People can't afford to live here anymore and are moving away like crazy.
I absolutely agree that some professions are underpaid and Kiakar listed some of the biggies. There are some government jobs that deserve the pay they receive but we all know that many are unrealistic. If you only have to serve in a postion for a two or four year term but you receive outstanding benefits and perks for life that's unfair. The wage should match the work. We now have the average person who has spent their whole life saving for retirement, and it's recently been wiped out through no fault of their own. What happens now?
Maybe it was incorrect but I read recently that Sarah Palin's combined income was $250,000.00. They made $100,000.00 & $150,000.00. I'm not sure what I think about all of the candidates yet. I don't care for politics but I'm trying really hard to pay attention and learn as much as I can so I can make an educated vote. It's hard to dig through all of the mudslinging to find the facts but I'm trying.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hey, I think the first law that should be inacted and should have been ages ago, is to stop letting them vote for their own raises! I mean come on, if i said, hey wrighty, and kiakar, I vote that we get $25,000 more a year, how about you? You going to say ..hmmm nah, thats ok. What the heck kind of law lets the congressmen vote their own raises! I think it should have a set cap and then just maybe we should get to vote for their raises, by our own states. Maybe they would get off their butts, get into sessions more than a couple of times a year and DO something!

In the mean time, I am still trying to figure out how Linda still has her clouds and I lost my capital V! LOL, I don't want a stupid avatar like I am playing Clue with you guys! Especially when I don't even have a clue at times! :smileywink:

Wrighty wrote:

loveyourself wrote:

kiakar wrote:

That's considered rich for my area too. Many of our living expenses are lower so it balances out but not all of them. We live in the poorest county of our state and our state has the highest taxes. People can't afford to live here anymore and are moving away like crazy.
I absolutely agree that some professions are underpaid and Kiakar listed some of the biggies. There are some government jobs that deserve the pay they receive but we all know that many are unrealistic. If you only have to serve in a postion for a two or four year term but you receive outstanding benefits and perks for life that's unfair. The wage should match the work. We now have the average person who has spent their whole life saving for retirement, and it's recently been wiped out through no fault of their own. What happens now?
Maybe it was incorrect but I read recently that Sarah Palin's combined income was $250,000.00. They made $100,000.00 & $150,000.00. I'm not sure what I think about all of the candidates yet. I don't care for politics but I'm trying really hard to pay attention and learn as much as I can so I can make an educated vote. It's hard to dig through all of the mudslinging to find the facts but I'm trying.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Those women who object to Sarah Palin being on the ticket have only their gender to blame.

If we had never given woment the vote, McCain wouldn't have felt any impetus to put a woman on the ticket.  

But look at what women have done with the vote.

Before the 19th Amendment was passed, men elected presidents like Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Lincoln.  

Since then, have women been involved in electing any presidents of that stature?  

Who was the first president elected after women got the vote?   Warren Harding.   For heaven's sake, Warren Harding!  One of our least effective presidents of all time.

Did they do much better on the next election?  Only if you think Calvin Coolidge was a great president.

And while male voters had kept the nation in pretty good shape for nearly 150 years, let the women vote and what happens?   Just a few years later we slide into the great Depression.  

And the next step we get? Sarah Palin for VP.  

Ladies, it's all your fault. 

0 Kudos

Re: Sarah palin

Eman, I hope you're making a joke, here!  But either way,  I don't find it in the least bit funny!   I don't know what your intentions are in posting these statements, other than to make women angry!!  Your blame is sadly misdirected.
Everyman wrote:

Those women who object to Sarah Palin being on the ticket have only their gender to blame.

If we had never given woment the vote, McCain wouldn't have felt any impetus to put a woman on the ticket.  

Before the 19th Amendment was passed, men elected presidents like Washington, Jefferson, Adams, Lincoln.  

Since then, have women been involved in electing any presidents of that stature?  

Who was the first president elected after women got the vote?   Warren Harding.   For heaven's sake, Warren Harding!  One of our least effective presidents of all time.

Did they do much better on the next election?  Only if you think Calvin Coolidge was a great president.

And while male voters had kept the nation in pretty good shape for nearly 150 years, let the women vote and what happens?   Just a few years later we slide into the great Depression.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Sarah palin

Eman, I hope you're making a joke, here!  But either way,  I don't find it in the least bit funny!

My wife doesn't always appreciate my sense of humor either. 

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Everyman wrote:

And while male voters had kept the nation in pretty good shape for nearly 150 years, let the women vote and what happens?  

Yes yes great shape.   Except I guess for a few minor issues like rebellions, slavery, a bloody civil war, fist fights in congress, duels, lynchings, and an aggressive land-grabbing military/settler campaign bent on subjugating another people.  But yes aside from those little quirks everything was in great shape. 

Message Edited by Jon_B on 10-22-2008 08:53 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Men and women...it's war!

So, tell me, what's your wife's secret to putting up with you for all these years? :smileytongue:

Again, what was your intentions of posting those offensive remarks?  How would you like me to react to them?  Really, I'm serious. Politics aside. 

Do you want us to talk about men, and their involvement in wars, and killing, and every other known act of nasty aggressive behavior, shall we just go back a few bazillion years?!  Who's to take the blame for these acts of insanity?  The subservient little woman?  Ah, I think not!

Everyman wrote:

Eman, I hope you're making a joke, here!  But either way,  I don't find it in the least bit funny!

My wife doesn't always appreciate my sense of humor either. 

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

If you are referring to those woments, then I completely agree. 

No good woment.

Everyman wrote:

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Maria and Everyman, are you discriminating against woments?:smileyvery-happy:

Maria_H wrote:

No good woment.

Everyman wrote:

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Whudever.  Let them have their own woment, whatever the heck that means.

debbook wrote:
Maria and Everyman, are you discriminating against woments?:smileyvery-happy:

Maria_H wrote:

No good woment.

Everyman wrote:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

That's BN's fault for disabling Firefox's as-you-type spellchecker in the reply window.  Your spellchecker is much more awkward to use.   Jon has mentioned enabling  Firefox's spell checker through the right click, but first you have to remember to do athat for every reply, and second, it doesn't work all the time. 

I want my Firefox spellchecker active again!

Until then, you're just going to get typos.  Your fault!

Maria_H wrote:

No good woment.

Everyman wrote:

0 Kudos

:smileytongue:  Sorry, it's been a long week -- I couldn't help myself.