Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
momlipetz
0 Kudos

Re: A Welcome from the Author

Dear Debbie:

I have never taken part in an online dialogue, but there is a first for most things.

I have read most of your books (25 - 30) and have greatly enjoyed them. I just finished Back on Blossom Street and thought it was terrific. Please keep us updated on Lydia, etc.

As for grandchildren - I always thought MINE were the smartest and most beautiful. I guess it is in the eyes of the beholder.

I am an active knitter - have just finished a baby blanket for my newest grandchild (5 weeks old) and am presently making him a sweater to wear in the winter. I have 4 other grandkids so will have plenty of projects to do.

Thanks for being so entertaining.
Marion
New User
LoisW
0 Kudos

DebbieMacomber wrote:

I'm so pleased you're here and that you're reading Back on Blossom Street. This is the third installment in the Blossom Street series, which has the distinction of being a series I never intended to be a series. The truth is I completely lost control of my writing career. Reader feedback on Lydia and her yarn store in The Shop on Blossom Street was overwhelming, so in A Good Yarn, I went back -- and now I've done it again. Not only that, I was more than happy to make the trip! I'm a dedicated knitter, and I'm crazy about yarn (which is another way of saying my personal stash fills a large part of our house).

As you might suspect, I'm a passionate person -- passionate about the things that are important to me. I love being a writer as much as I enjoy knitting. I'm sure you can also tell from my books that my family's the very center of my life and that my friends matter a great deal to me, as yours do to you. I have strong feelings about how people ought to behave toward others, and yet I'm completely realistic, too. I hope all of that comes across in my portrayals of the women (and men!) in my Blossom Street community.

If this is the first book of mine you've read, that's fabulous, and if it's your thirty-fifth, that's even more so. I look forward to getting to know you and I hope you'll get to know me, too -- Debbie Macomber, writer, storyteller, friend (and a person who hoards yarn!). Whatever you do, though, don't get me started talking about my grandchildren, who happen to be the cutest, most brilliant children in the known universe...

I'm honored and excited about being a guest author in the Barnes & Noble online book club. I promise a lively discussion and some laughter and friendship along the way, so sign in and let's get going!

Debbie Macomber

Debbie:

I encountered "A Good Yarn" earlier this year and then sped my way through Cedar Cove. I picked up a copy of "Back on Blosson Street" the other day and look forward to reading it this evening.

I know that I will find it especially rewarding, since I have been knitting prayer shawls for the United Methodist Women's group I belong to. I've fnished 6 shawls since we started the project last fall (I have 4 others in progress). My sister is planning to start a knitting circle to get more women involved in the project, so I will donate the copy of "Back on Blossom Street" to the church's library to make others aware of the value of knitting/crocheting together.

Thank you for giving me hours of pleasure. I suspect that I may have to get future novels in Audio form so I can knit while visiting Cedar Cove and Blossom St.

Lois
Contributor
bren_r
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie,

I'm so glad to be in one of your book clubs again. I enjoyed the SG book club so much.
I've been a fan of your's for quite a while. I've enjoyed the Blossom Street books, and I do hope you plan on many more
Well, I'm off to try to catch up on some posts.

Bren
Contributor
flynn31
0 Kudos

I just bought the book on Tuesday and I already have a quarter of it read. As a girl I spent many Saturdays with the neighbor lady sipping tea and learning to knit and reading this book is like wrapping myself in a prayer shawl for another moment with an understanding woman and friend in my life. I plan to buy the other books - A Shoppe on Blossom Street and a Good Yarn.
I'm going to make the prayer shawls for friends and sisters as well. I love the idea that knitting patterns are included in your books and website.

Gloria
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Debbie,
It is so great to be back chatting with you again. This book is better than ever. I love visiting Blossom Street where all the warm and wonderful caring shops are. Such a wonderful visit this time. Thanks.
Contributor
marymaca
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie,
My name is Mary and I'm from New York. I do more reading than knitting.
Thanks so much for all of your books,I find them all to be heartwarming and comforting. As a new knitter myself, I appreciate the patterns and can relate well to the struggles of the characters.
Contributor
hocki
0 Kudos

Debbie:
Thank you for the heart felt welcome. I'm looking forward to some fun chats and maybe some distraction from the LONG wait for number 74 :smileyhappy: Thanks again, "Betty" :smileyhappy:
Traci
New User
Countrylady09
0 Kudos

Debbie, it is so good to be able to chat with you. You seem so down to earth and just like a good friend. When can we expect another Cedar Cove book? I'm anxious to continue to series. I don't knit, but I used to do counted cross stitch. I think I will take up knitting, but I hope it doesn't interfere with my reading. I'm an obsessive reader! I sometimes have 3 books at a time going - one at work, one at home and one in my car for when I'm stuck in traffic.

Thanks again for your wonderful books.

Joyce
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Kathy,

Welcome! I'm pleased you enjoyed all three books. I never intended for Blossom Street to be a series but I kept hearing from my readers how badly they wanted to return and so I did and I'm pleased I listened.

Debbie

KathyH wrote:
Hi Debbie!

I spent a glorious Memorial Day Weekend (well, actually, just Saturday and Sunday) reading all three Blossom books. I'm ready to go! I was previously in your Suzanna book. I read The Friday Night Knitting Club a couple of months ago and enjoyed iut immensley - although I don't knit.

I'm looking forward to some great discussions!

KathyH

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Welcome Mary,

I'm pleased you're here too. I hope you've recieved the pattern books by now. I've been bpouncing around on topics and have enjoyed your comments. Thank you for being part of this.

Debbie

mimi1161 wrote:
Good Morning Debbie,

I was so excited to see that B&N was having Back on Blossom Street in yet another Book Club. I read it so quickly, that now I miss everyone in the book. I need a Cedar Cove fix now, I know it will be out soon, though.

I have just ordered your Cedar Cove and Back on Blossom Street knitting books from Leisure Arts. But they are taking too long to get here. I have all of the others and even sent them to my sister in New Jersey, who is an avid knitter just like you.

I can't wait to talk about this new book. I loved it as much as all the other 25 or 30 books that I have read of yours. You are the greatest, keep up the wonderful work.

Mary in FL

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Jeanne,

Wow, thanks for your kind words. I simply love Christmas. It's rather nuts around here in December because i put up FIVE Christmas trees--it's drives my husbamd looney. I can't help it and all that passion for the holidays spills into my Christmas books. I'm so pleased you've enjoyed them. This year's book features Shirley, Goodness and Mercy, my 3 favorite angels.

Debbie

Jeanne321 wrote:
Hello Debbie!
What a pleasure to be able to chat with you here, although I also check your blog on a weekly basis. I have read as many of your books as I can find in the library or buying at B&N! My favorites by far are your Christmas books - you capture my feelings about the holiday.

As for "BOBS" - your latest, I have just started my trip back to Lydia's and I am looking forward to it.

Jeanne

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Liesa,

Feel free to horde my books. I'm just happy that you're enjoying the stories. Thank you too for your comments which I've read and responded to a couple of times. You have good insights.

Debbie

cascadegypsy wrote:
Hi Debbie,
I'm so excited to part of this discussion group. This will be my 3rd time in a group with you and I love the insights that I gather from you and the other readers each time. I wait with anticipation for each book that you write to be published. You might say that I hoard your books much the same way you do yarn.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Welcome Penny,

There are a number of fabulous authors who might argue about me being the best but who am I to doubt such an insightful, talented, generous and clearly intelligent woman?

Debbie

bigcent wrote:
Good Morning Debbie,

I have been a really big fan of yours for a long time. I have not begun your knitting series yet, but I will now. You are the best!!! Keep on writing those wonderful books.

Penny

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Kathy,

If anyone asks be sure and mention thatI look exactly like my publicity photo only younger and thinner.

Debbie

Ktrink wrote:
Hello Debbie,

I am excited to follow another discussion with you. Especially after meeting you at a recent signing in Pittsburgh!! Thank you for taking time to do this book discussion. Your insights make my reading all the more enjoyable. Take care.....Kathy

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Hello Jeanne,

By now you've probably discovered that the knitting pattern in BOBS is a prayer shawl. You'd be surprised by how easy the socks are. No kidding. You might need to visit a yarn store in order to get started. That's how I happened to knit them. The blankets you knit sound absolutely lovely. I don't suppose you took a picture of the blue and gold one, did you?

Debbie

jeanneo wrote:
Hi, Debbie!

I spent my Memorial Day weekend knitting the crib blanket in your book for a new baby at church. I learned to knit when I was six but it one of those things I pick up only when I have a good reason due to time constraints. I hadn't had knitting needles in my hands for years until I read your book and thought 'I should try this one'. Well my first attempt is on the back of my couch as a throw , the second was begged for by a friend of my college aged son (I did it with that really thick cord in blue and gold - it turned out beautifully!) and now this is the third one for little Ronnie. Thanks for the inspiration to knit and for the great read. I haven't attempted the socks yet. I think they may be too advanced for me but I loved the book. I usually wait for the paper back(financial constraints)but I might have to go for this one. Is there a pattern in it? What for?

Thanks for the warmth of friendship that is evident in your books and the real characters. Along with the Blossom Street books I have read everything of yours in our library and bought some other paperbacks. I've never been disappointed.

Fondly, Jeanne

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear DL,

After all those kind words people are going to think we're related or something. I am truly honored that you're enjoying my books. I wish you could see the smile I'm wearing. These are words a writer could live on for a very long while.

Debbie

Dragonlady12 wrote:
Debbie,

A friend of mine at work introduced me to your books. When I complained that my favorite fantasy authors weren't writing fast enough to satisfy my insatiable need to read, she told me to quit whining and handed me "The Shop on Blossom Street" and "A Good Yarn." All I can say is halfway through "Blossom Street" and I was hooked. I loved the stories of these amazing women and the friendship that was nurtured in it.

I got "Back on Blossom Street" the minute it came out at my local book store. Needless to say, my friend just laughed at me. I read it so fast that I miss it. It was just as wonderful as the first two. Now my friend is handing me the Cedar Cove books and I am sure I will be just as thrilled as before. I never thought I'd be a "Romance" reader, but I guess I have converted.

Thanks for all your lovely stories. Stories that mean something. I love the knitting instructions and I may turn over my crochet hook and try to learn how to knit. After getting hooked on a different genre of books, I have learned that it is time to try more new things. :smileywink:

Thanks,
DL

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Oh Betsy, My heart goes out to you and every one associated with the school. For those of us who weren't personally touched by the tragedy it was a horrific news event that was the hot news item of the week, but then something else dreadful happens and the attention is focused elsewhere. But you, your husband and thousands of others are there to face this every day. I'm gratful my book has helped you in some small way. God bless you.

Debbie

Hokie75 wrote:
Hi, Debbie!

My name is Betsy. I cannot begin to tell you how much your books have meant to me over the past six weeks. You see, I live just three miles from the Virginia Tech campus and am a Tech grad. My husband and I have spent countless hours with the Tech students on the campus trying to get us all through this unspeakable tragedy. I find comfort in your books. They are my escape to a gentle, much-needed home place. I look forward to joining the discussion next week!

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Kate,

I was a housewife and mother long before I was a writer. You certainly have me pegged as a person too. I am friendly or at least I attempt to be. Your words warmed my heart. Thank you.

Debbie

KateNYC wrote:
Debbie,

Excuse the informality! Of course, I don't know you, but your books project a warm, concerned person with a significant gift for story-telling.

Two things have drawn me into reading about 7 or 8 of your books so far (not counting the 3 Leisure Arts ones!). One is your genuine respect for all women's work. Too many feminists despise anything that men don't want to do! Second is your concern with community-building; throughout the novels I've read, that comes through.

Thanks for your books! Keep them coming!

I'm hoarding your new book for a quiet weekend!

Kate

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Sherry,

I'm thrilled to have you as part of the discussion. I look forward to reading yur comments.

Debbie

CutieSherry wrote:
I'm thrilled to be "Back on Blossom Street"! I am an avid reader of all your books and looking forward to the discussion.

Sherry in Denver

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Amanda,

Thank you for your kind words and please thank the other mother who suggested that yu read my SHOP book. The best advertising I can ever get is one reader to another. I hope you enjoy the Cedar Cove books as much as the Blossom Street ones. CC is based on my own hometown of Port Orchard, WA. I'm having a map printed that should be available soon.

Debbie

DutchMoeder wrote:
Hello Debbie!

I read your book A shop on Blossom Street when another mother on a message board I'm a part of suggested it. She hailed the book saying it was smart and interesting and she said that though she had never considered knitting a day in her life she went and bought needles and a skein of yarn and signed up for a class to learn. I being an avid knitter couldn't wait to pick it up and I fell in love! Your character are so vibrant and interesting. I have Back on blossom Street sitting on my desk but I can't pick it up until I finish a sun dress I'm knitting for my little knitting business. Since I started reading these books I've read MANY of your other stand alone books such as Changing Habits and Thursdays at eight. You're such a personal writer and I enjoy your e-mail updates and yearly letters they keep me feeling connected to your stories.

Thank you so much for your stories. I can't wait to dive into the cedar cove stories next!

Amanda Snellink

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 669 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: