Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Community Room

Welcome to the Community Room, a catch-all thread for any side conversations that might distract from the ongoing discussion of Back on Blossom Street. Get to know each other here, share common interests (like Knitting!), and have fun!

Reply to this message to start the conversation.

Stephanie
New User
goldlocks03
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

Stephanie wrote:

Welcome to the Community Room, a catch-all thread for any side conversations that might distract from the ongoing discussion of Back on Blossom Street. Get to know each other here, share common interests (like Knitting!), and have fun!

Stephanie wrote:

I am knitting a prayer shawl for my doctor.
She was been wonderful in helping me deal with the big C. Two weeks ago I lost all my girly parts and my wonderful husband has sat by my bed and read BOBS to me and all the nurses who stop in to hear him. now that a great guy. I have read all Debbie's books I love them all.
keep reading, Dawn
Contributor
twinkbb42
0 Kudos

Dawn

br>I am knitting a prayer shawl for my doctor.
She was been wonderful in helping me deal with the big C. Two weeks ago I lost all my girly parts and my wonderful husband has sat by my bed and read BOBS to me and all the nurses who stop in to hear him. now that a great guy. I have read all Debbie's books I love them all.

Dawn, I am so sorry you are going thru this. I smiled when I read that your husband has been reading BoBS to you. That really touched me deep down. I'm not sure my husband would do that for me.

I hope everything will go well with you.

Contributor
Reenie5
0 Kudos

Re: Dawn

Dawn,
I know your doctor will love the prayer shawl because it comes from your own hands...what a wonderful gift. I am praying for your comfort and recovery. God bless you and your husband...I am touched by both of you for your willingness to give of yourselves during such a difficult time.
Stay positive, feel better and enjoy the book discussion.
Maureen
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

Re: Dawn

Dawn,
Best wishes to you. I have the same surgery two years ago. I am fine now. What a wonderful husband you have to read this book to you. Though,my husband was a rock to me.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Dawn,

Tell your husband the moderator of your online book group thinks he's pretty cool! What a great way to help you recover from your surgery.

I think your doctor will cherish the shawl you're knitting.

My thoughts and prayers are with you,
Stephanie
Contributor
DutchMoeder
0 Kudos

Dawn how amazing! You have a wonderful husband. Stay strong. If Lydia survived you can too!
Amanda
____
"If more people knitted and crocheted, the world would see fewer wars and a whole lot less road rage."
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

DutchMoeder wrote:
Dawn how amazing! You have a wonderful husband. Stay strong. If Lydia survived you can too!

Yes, Dawn, this is a wonderful book to read to help you thru this! You are in my prayers.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

goldlocks03 wrote:

I had the same surgery a few years ago but from a different condition. I still have several health issues and my husband is a saint too. He takes over and does everything at the drop of a hat. He works all day, gets the groceries and cooks supper. He never misses the kids' events either. I couldn't do it without him. I'm glad you have your husband to help you through this.

I've never made a prayer shawl but I've received one. It was a gift for me after a hospital stay. Some elderly nuns nearby knit them for people who need them. A friend thought of me. I will treasure it always and it has been used often. Your doctor will treasure it as well. Best wishes and good health to you.
New User
BMBstamper
0 Kudos

That is so wonderful of your husband to spend time reading the book to you. I don't think my husband would be that great. I am sending prayers your way for a quick recovery. I know your doctor will love the prayer shawl you are making.
New User
sgivens161
0 Kudos

Hi Stephanie,

My name is Stephanie too. This is my first time joining a book club and I'm very excited. At first I thought, wow I'm writing a lot and I just joined this morning. I soon realized that Stephanie is a common name. I'd like to start on this series but I need to know the title of part I.

Thx,

Stephanie2
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Steph,

Here are the series titles:

The Shop on Blossom Street
A Good Yarn
Back on Blossom Street

Also, for a full list (not sure if this is all of them or not, actually, I think Debbie said she has 150 or so titles out there!) go to:

http://www.debbiemacomber.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=4

Welcome - glad you're here.
Stephanie
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dawn,

It seems to me that you married a 'keeper'. (I did too!)

Debbie

goldlocks03 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

It is so wonderful to read about supportive husbands, espeically on a day like today--Father's Day--and know that there are still wonderful men in this world who are loving and giving toward their wives and families.

Debbie

Wrighty wrote:

goldlocks03 wrote:

I had the same surgery a few years ago but from a different condition. I still have several health issues and my husband is a saint too. He takes over and does everything at the drop of a hat. He works all day, gets the groceries and cooks supper. He never misses the kids' events either. I couldn't do it without him. I'm glad you have your husband to help you through this.

I've never made a prayer shawl but I've received one. It was a gift for me after a hospital stay. Some elderly nuns nearby knit them for people who need them. A friend thought of me. I will treasure it always and it has been used often. Your doctor will treasure it as well. Best wishes and good health to you.

Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room...prayer shawls and knitting

I first heard about prayer shawls about 2 years ago. I live in Florida, where it is HOT, so it kind of didn't make sense to me at the time. A few months later, my mom slipped and fell on ice (in New England) and fractured her hip and pelvis. I immediately visited the knitting group at my church and someone gave me a prayer shawl for my mom. My mom used it........and found comfort in it as she recovered. (Her house is quite drafty in the winter).

When I visited her the during the summer after her accident, she was up and about and had given the prayer shawl to another person in need.

My mom will be 84 this summer, and she is still knitting up a storm. I would say that is the one activity that brings her the most pleasure, despite her poor vision, poor hearing and being homebound. Whenever I visit, she shows me her pile of completed hats and mittens that she knits for the homeless people in her area.
When her sister and / or her 85+ yr old cousin visit, they sit and talk and knit. They have been doing that for 50 years or more. They were knitting when I was a little kid.......and when I was a teenager.....and long after I left home.

I just read the summary of Debbie's non fiction book which is being released in August, 2007. The book somehow incorporates knitting, life experience and faith. I will be interested in seeing Debbie's spin on the subject. I think there is something to it. Knitting and faith do not have to go hand-in-hand, but I think there are associations in some cases.

Janet......non knitter.....scrapbook maker...perhaps I inherited some kind of mutated gene ! LOL !
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

DebbieMacomber wrote:
It is so wonderful to read about supportive husbands, espeically on a day like today--Father's Day--and know that there are still wonderful men in this world who are loving and giving toward their wives and families.

Debbie

Wrighty wrote:

goldlocks03 wrote:

You know, Debbie. It is wonderful that there are so many great men in the world. I never was blessed myself but thank God My girls were lucky to have found wonderful husbands. They work together and share responiblies to gether.
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room...prayer shawls and knitting

Dear Janet,

Your mother sounds like one incredible woman. You are blessed to have her. It's amazing how the simple act of knitting acan affect a person and in many ways, as you noted, faith and knitting are associated. Thaqnk you for sharing your thoughts.

Debbie

homereader wrote:
I first heard about prayer shawls about 2 years ago. I live in Florida, where it is HOT, so it kind of didn't make sense to me at the time. A few months later, my mom slipped and fell on ice (in New England) and fractured her hip and pelvis. I immediately visited the knitting group at my church and someone gave me a prayer shawl for my mom. My mom used it........and found comfort in it as she recovered. (Her house is quite drafty in the winter).

When I visited her the during the summer after her accident, she was up and about and had given the prayer shawl to another person in need.

My mom will be 84 this summer, and she is still knitting up a storm. I would say that is the one activity that brings her the most pleasure, despite her poor vision, poor hearing and being homebound. Whenever I visit, she shows me her pile of completed hats and mittens that she knits for the homeless people in her area.
When her sister and / or her 85+ yr old cousin visit, they sit and talk and knit. They have been doing that for 50 years or more. They were knitting when I was a little kid.......and when I was a teenager.....and long after I left home.

I just read the summary of Debbie's non fiction book which is being released in August, 2007. The book somehow incorporates knitting, life experience and faith. I will be interested in seeing Debbie's spin on the subject. I think there is something to it. Knitting and faith do not have to go hand-in-hand, but I think there are associations in some cases.

Janet......non knitter.....scrapbook maker...perhaps I inherited some kind of mutated gene ! LOL !

Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 729 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: