Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Early Chapters: Colette's Pregnancy

Colette is keeping her pregnancy a secret, but accepts (however reluctantly) a date with Christian. Why does she do this -- and do you agree with her reasons? What do you think of her decision not to tell him about the pregnancy? Does it seem logical to you under the circumstances?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through Chapter 14. Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after Chapter 14, please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

Stephanie
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters: Colette's Pregnancy

I think Colette is right in keeping her pregnancy a secret from Christian as he strikes me as a wandering soul who dates a lot of women and if one is pregnant, it won't matter to him. However, Colette is going to have to reveal her pregnancy soon as so goes along in the next few months.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
twinkbb42
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Colette is keeping her pregnancy a secret, but accepts (however reluctantly) a date with Christian. Why does she do this -- and do you agree with her reasons? What do you think of her decision not to tell him about the pregnancy? Does it seem logical to you under the circumstances?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through Chapter 14. Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after Chapter 14, please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

I felt the reason Colette accepted a date with Christian was to try to show him she was "over" him and possibly to prove to both of them that she can be civil, friendly and rise above, move beyond what transpired between them.

I've been in Colette's shoes and there was no way I was going to tell the man I was carrying his baby, so I agree with her not telling Christian. In the past he has pranced around like the playboy of the Western world and Colette's thinking is logical.

New User
RobertaP
0 Kudos

I have a problem with Colette's deception concerning her pregnancy. My greatest concern is that, in my opinion, it is irresponsible to the child to illiminate the father from the baby's future. Additionally, Colette not only has kept the pregnancy a secret, she lied, when asked by the father, by denying the pregnancy.
I am sympathetic to her situation and as a friend would support her decision to keep her baby. However, I would encourage her to commumicate more openly with the father.

Roberta
Staunton, VA
Contributor
Reenie5
0 Kudos

SPOILER ALERT!!

I didn't agree with Colette's initial deception about the baby, but felt all along that she intended to let Christian know at some point...I felt that she was trying to deal with the emotional state of it all, but would not, in the end, keep the baby from it's father. I think she accepted a date with him because deep down, she loved him and wanted things to work out.... even though she wouldn't readily admit it to even herself at that point.
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

I do not agree with Colette's decesion not to tell Christian about her pregancy.
However, I can understand it. She does know that he had had many girlfriends and will not probably make a commitment to her. Also sometimes telling a guy that you are pregnant still implies that he will marry you. She does not want him to have that
impression. I have seen couples marry because the woman is pregnant. The marriage
is usually a disaster that ends up with miserable marriage or divorce.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Johanna,

I didn't know how I felt about Colette not telling Christian she was pregnant. I think waiting through the first trimester was smart - after all, they weren't a couple. I wanted her to tell him, partly because I think he has a right to know, but partly because I felt that he was hoping she was pregnant. It was strange for him to come to see her and ask her straight out- most men don't think like that. Just a feeling I got.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

Stephanie,I did not realize that you are right. It is wise to wait through the first trimester. Of course, that is usually the time that a woman can miscarry. For my last pregnancy I wanted until I heard the baby's heart beat. I was 10 weeks. My second pregancy was a miscarriage. It was over 24 years ago.
Contributor
cascadegypsy
0 Kudos

Spoiler alert

In the beginning I was totally in agreement that Colette keep her pregnancy a secret from Christian, after all she believed he in was involved in something illegal and her first thought should be for the baby. However as I continued to read I had a feeling that Christian might be above board and when he went missing I wished that Colette had told him. I felt it might have given him something to hold on to.
Leisa
Contributor
DutchMoeder
0 Kudos

I don't think there is ever a good reason to hide a pregnancy like that. I think keeping it on the down low until after the first Trimester was smart but after that he had the right to know. Criminal or not the baby is flesh and blood and partially HIS flesh and blood. I can understand the difficulty but certainly don't agree with the reasoning.
Amanda
____
"If more people knitted and crocheted, the world would see fewer wars and a whole lot less road rage."
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Let's talk about: "Criminal or not, the father has a right to know." In Colette's shoes, would you be worried about your baby and yourself more so than the employer who got you drunk and seduced you when you were grieving for your deceased husband? Put that spin on it: does it look a bit different?

Remember, we're still in the Early Chapters section, so don't go too far with your answers!
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Early Chapters: Colette's Pregnancy

While, in principal, I don't agree with Colette keeping her pregnancy from Christian, I totally understand it. I did wonder why it didn't occur to her that he might have found out anyway, even if she did deliberately lie to him. After all, he tracked her down once ... couldn't he have tracked her down again later? At a point where her pregnancy was apparent or after she'd had a child.

She's truly drawn to Christian, although she fights it, and I believe that's why she accepts a date with him. Perhaps she also believed that it would be one date and then they'd never see each other again.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
DutchMoeder
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Let's talk about: "Criminal or not, the father has a right to know." In Colette's shoes, would you be worried about your baby and yourself more so than the employer who got you drunk and seduced you when you were grieving for your deceased husband? Put that spin on it: does it look a bit different?

Remember, we're still in the Early Chapters section, so don't go too far with your answers!

I still feel that I would have told him. There are other ways to protect yourself and your child from a criminal. Also she had no right to think that he was violent. Trafficking people from far up is a far cry from harming someone. I don't think I would have ever physically feared for myself or my child and as far as people knowing they'd know you had a baby anyway out of wedlock. Having a child to a criminal wouldn't make THAT much difference I don't think. And besides if he knew she'd have an easier fight for child support if he went to prison.

Overall I feel the decision she made was poorly thought out on her part.
Amanda
____
"If more people knitted and crocheted, the world would see fewer wars and a whole lot less road rage."
Contributor
bren_r
0 Kudos

I think that there was a huge part of Colette that wanted him to know about the baby. But remember she knew how many women he'd dated. She wasnt really sure how he felt about her and his 'illegal' activities were a huge concern to her. She did want to tell him, that was pretty obvious, but I think she was waiting to get answers to some of the questions about him that kept running through her brain.

I probably would have blurted it out to him the first time I saw him after I'd found out I was pregnant. But I have never been one to keep a secret! lol
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

She doesn't know if Christian is geniune! He could even be a criminal! After she got over the initial shock of what happened at the party, she now has to evaluate him. She is smart enought to know, that she can have her baby without him, if he is not a respectfully responsible guy. Colette is not acting as a love starved teenager, she is a real mature woman.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hi Twink:

I am using a friend's computer today. I will be so glad when I get mine back. I love that you are here.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I do not blame her at all for her not telling Christian. This was a one night stand and really like an accident. Too much drink, can do that! But why make it more difficult especially with Christian's playboy attitude. ANd the suspucion he might be in something ellegal.
New User
Marty50
0 Kudos

I would have been afraid to tell a boss who acted cold and unfeeling. I would have had to tell someone and talk to others about it. I would have needed financial support so would definitely have gone to the father soon, however. I wouldn't have assumed as much as Colette did about Christian at first.
Contributor
flynn31
0 Kudos

Hi this is Gloria:
I feel Colette accepts the date from Christian because she feels guilty about turning him in to the authorities and still wants to believe that she may be wrong about him because she has deep feelings for him.
I don't agree with the fact that she is not telling him about the pregnancy, but I do understand her fear about hooking her life with a man that may be involved in criminal activies.
Contributor
twinkbb42
0 Kudos

Linda, Re: Early Chapters: Colette's Pregnancy

kiakar wrote:
Hi Twink:

I am using a friend's computer today. I will be so glad when I get mine back. I love that you are here.

Thank you Linda. I'm glad you are here too.
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 315 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: