Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters: Margaret's Hostility

Julia,

At last someone who is willing to give Margaret a break. She's not as bad as it seems. She's had a lot of pressure put on her and tends to take her responsibilities far too seriously. I actually know people like Margaret and these people are my friends. Yes, they're negative and it takes a lot to make them laugh but when they do it's just wonderful to watch.

Debbie

rjmwalters wrote:
I agree with some of the others' comments. Margaret is generally a very negative person and Lydia is aware of this. That is why she wisely listens to her sister but makes her own decisions based on her judgement. I can't say that I dislike Margaret because we sometimes get a glimpse of the kindness in her but she does sometimes make me want to smack her! I don't know that there is any particular reason that Margaret is the way she is. Some people just always see the glass half empty. Julia

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Maureen,

If wish you could see me now--I'm standing uo and cheering. Thank you.

Debbie

Reenie5 wrote:
As much as I agree that Margaret is overly negative...I didn't let her character stop me from enjoying the others in the story any more than I would/do let negative people in real life bring me "down" with their negativity. The sad fact is, there are people in this world full of cinicisim and negative outlooks and I guess I just accept by now that Margaret is one of those folks. However, I find myself hoping with each Blossom Street book that she will start coping with life in a more positive way because my gut feeling is that she wants to be happier, but hasn't figured out that it's actually possible (though not easy) in spite of your past....to move forward in life toward real happiness.

Maureen

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

FRiends,

Has any one considered that Margaret might be jealous of a friendship developing between Collette and her sister. She's almost always felt like she's being left out, don't you think? She's afraid for Lydia which is why she didn't want her to open the yarn store. She loves her sister and is learning how to be her friend. Yes, Margaret can be a pill but beneath the crust is a heart of gold.

Debbie

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

In Chapter 1, Colette Blake, a newcomer to the Blossom Street neighborhood and the shop, is welcomed by Lydia, but not by Margaret. Why do you think that is? Is Lydia right about the reasons for Margaret's hostility?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through Chapter 14. Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after Chapter 14, please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

Like I said before about Margaret, she is a piece of cake, that Margaret. She is so opininated . I couldn't be that cruel to people. That has to have hurt Colette's feelings. She wanted Lydia as a friend, but Margaret hurt her feelins so bad that she stopped going to the shop to have coffee with Lydia. No, I think everyone should deserve a chance, no matter how unlikely their story is.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

I think they will. Margaret grows a great deal in this story.

Debbie

Marty50 wrote:
I think Margaret hasn't been really challenged to overcome sorrows in her life. Everyone eventually has experiences that require them to move on if they look around them to see who they are hurting, besides themselves. It isn't easy. Hopefully her experiences in this book will lead her to learn to be more sympathetic toward others like Colette.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Thank you, Gloria. you're right on with this comment.

Debbie

flynn31 wrote:
Hi this is Gloria:
I think Margaret is a person that likes suspense and drama and looks for it in people that appear without warning in her life or her sister's life.
Her distrusting nature has some merrit and to some degree she is right about Colette hiding something from her sister, but she is wrong to think that Colette is trying to use or abuse her sister in anyway.
Margaret just doesn't like things and people she doesn't know well.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Leisa,

Wonderfully insightful comments. Thank you!

Debbie

cascadegypsy wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

In Chapter 1, Colette Blake, a newcomer to the Blossom Street neighborhood and the shop, is welcomed by Lydia, but not by Margaret. Why do you think that is? Is Lydia right about the reasons for Margaret's hostility?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through Chapter 14. Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after Chapter 14, please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

--- Spoiler Alert---

I think that Margaret tends to be negative in many ways because of the events in her life. Her sister was sick, and in many ways that impacted her life. Her father was busy caring for Lydia and was unavailable to Margaret alot of her life, and her mother had a hard time dealing with Lydia's sickness. this must have left Margaret feeling very alone, and scared for Lydia, and now she is what I would term as negatively protective over both Lydia and her daughters, which is shown by her reaction to Colette, and then later in how she reacts to the man who hijacks Julia.

New User
Novashannon
0 Kudos

I dislike Margaret's extreme negativity, too, but I try to understand her pov. She grew up having all her parents' energy focussed on her sister, because of Lydia's cancer. I have read that is a very real problem with siblings of a person who eithe had a catastrophic illness or is a great athleth/actor/ etc, and thus commands the attention and finances of the family. Although she has reconciled with Lydia, she still fears that life is going to kick h er in the teeth. I hope Mrs. Macomber will write a book in which Margaret comes to feel worthy of love, and loved. Margaret must be dong something right, because her husband and kids are great!
New User
Novashannon
0 Kudos

flynn31 wrote:
Hi this is Gloria:
I think Margaret is a person that likes suspense and drama and looks for it in people that appear without warning in her life or her sister's life.
Her distrusting nature has some merrit and to some degree she is right about Colette hiding something from her sister, but she is wrong to think that Colette is trying to use or abuse her sister in anyway.
Margaret just doesn't like things and people she doesn't know well.

I think Margaret is just overly protective of her sister, due to her sister's early illness. I think she believes that Lydia is too trusting. I believe it is a very realistic portrayal of an older sister's attitude toward a younger one who has been ill. Since she grew up feeling protective, because she was the healthy "strong" one, she perhaps feels that protecting others is part of her identity, and that is why she is so hurt when she falis to protect her daughter.
Contributor
mitchie55
0 Kudos

Oh, don't give up on this book.

This is the first book I have read by Debbie.

I am up to Chapter 18 and find it such easy reading.

We all encounter negative people in our lifes..but we haven't walked in their shoes..so we really don't know what is behind that negative attitude.

Is Margaret in other books?

I am anxious to keep reading and see how things turn out for her.

I was encouraged to know that Lydia and her sister's relationship has improved over the years.

I have 7 sisters..and some I am very close to..and others seem to avoid developing relationships..but I won't quit trying.

Happy reading.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

DebbieMacomber wrote:
Dear Gail,

I hope you over came your dislike of Margaret and read the book. Margaret will always be over protective of Lydia. Her little sister has gone through two bouts of cancer and she stands guard over her.
She has a gentle side too and grows in the book. Please tell me you didn't give up on the story.

Debbie

Gail wrote:
Margaret has, for the most part, been a negative, difficult person right from the start. I know authors tend to stress a characteristic for the sake of the story, but Margaret has always been difficult for me to like. I liked both the previous books, but have not yet read beyond the first chapter on this recent book. Margaret's attitude in the very first chapter has so turned me off, I don't know if I'll continue to read or just skim through.

I love Debbie's books, but too much negativity over the long haul causes me to put a book down and walk away. It's a shame because overall this has been an interesting series. I loved Susannah's Garden and am glad she is now next door to Lydia's shop.

I had difficult with Margaret too, but couldn't give up the book. It was so great. The stories of all the characters were delicious.
New User
LaurieQ
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to B & N and also to Debbie Macomber. I absolutely LOVE her books, I have been reading her for about a month now and have read about 7 books.

I hope this isn't too off topic but I wanted to share my own experience. I am the youngest of four girls and was born with Spina Bifida. My first night, the doctor's told my parents to go away and forget they had ever had me because I wasn't supposed to live through the night. Well needless to say 47 years later and I'm still here!

My third oldest sister resented me terribly while we were growing up. I know she didn't really mean to treat me as horribly as she did but putting myself in her shoes I completely understand. Here she was the youngest, along comes another baby and this one needed all of Mom and Dad's attention. Thankfully, we have a great relationship now, as a matter of fact I am closer to her than I am my other two sisters. I really believe Margaret feels/felt the same way my sister did.

The thing I really connected with Lydia was my father was my rock during the many many surgeries I had. I remember having my first surgery after my father had passed away and was scared silly. My mother was wonderful with fighting with the doctor's to get me the best care possible but for some reason my dad could always calm me down and reassure me right before the surgeries.

I luckily was able to understand Margaret's feelings from the very beginning and I hope and pray that she will find peace and happiness in her relationship with Lydia.

LaurieQ
LaurieQ

Small steps lead to big changes
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 215 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: