Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Questions for Debbie Macomber

Do you have a question for Debbie, not related to any of the discussion topics? Reply to this message to start the conversation.
Stephanie
Contributor
twinkbb42
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Debbie Macomber

Stephanie wrote:
Do you have a question for Debbie, not related to any of the discussion topics? Reply to this message to start the conversation.

Debbie, I have really enjoyed reading the Blossom Street books. It has me seriously considering taking up knitting. Could you tell me what books, patterns for a beginner I should start with?

Thank you--Twink

Contributor
DutchMoeder
0 Kudos

What is your favorite knitting project? I love knitting bags and unique hats, scarves, and arm warmers but have yet to delve into the world of socks. And what is your favorite pattern of that favorite project type?

Thanks!

Amanda Snellink
Amanda
____
"If more people knitted and crocheted, the world would see fewer wars and a whole lot less road rage."
New User
Vikingmkp
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie,

First of all I'd like to say I really enjoy reading your books. My favorites are the "Navy Series", "Blossom Street Series" and of course those crazy heavenly angels, Shirley, Goodness and Mercy.

I live in Washington State where most of these books originate. My family and I travel to most of these same areas and really enjoy reading about them in your books. My question to you is, Would you ever consider writing a book from my hometown of Woodland? It's in SW Washington, just North of Vancouver. We have so much to offer in this area. Hunting, fishing, skiing, camping, hiking, Mt. St. Helens, the Lilac Gardens and several rivers and lakes. Best of all is the Planter's Day Celebration in mid-June. This is where you get to see the "hometown" atmosphere at it's best. I think our town would make a great setting for one of your fabulous novels. Best of all getting to read about our town in one of your books would be a special treat.

Thanks for all the wonderful books! I always look forward to your new book but have managed to keep a stash of all your others just in case.

Melissa
New User
Countrylady09
0 Kudos

Debbie, I love all your books and have read them all to date. Can you write faster? I'm out of anything to read. I finished the latest Blossom Street book in one day. Any suggestions?
Frequent Contributor
KathyH
0 Kudos

Hi Country Lady,

In April Barnes and Noble hosted Kate Jacobs and her book, "Friday Night Knitting Club." I think you might enjoy this (when you're between Debbie's books!).

KathyH
Contributor
hocki
0 Kudos

I should have asked this question at the book signing, but didn't raise my hand. :/

Debbie, you were telling us the story of the first story you published and how hard you had to fight for it -- which book was it? --Traci
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear
Twink,

Personally I enjoy the Pure and Simple patterns or anything by Ann Norling. The best way to learn is to have someone show you, Any yarn store has classes along with JOAnn and Michael stores. Do you know anyone who knits? They can show you too. It's not difficult and once you get started it's addictive. I wish you the best.

Debbie

twinkbb42 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Debbie, I have really enjoyed reading the Blossom Street books. It has me seriously considering taking up knitting. Could you tell me what books, patterns for a beginner I should start with?

Thank you--Twink

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Amanda,

I knit just about everything but ,my favorite projects are the sweaters I knit for the grandkids. They each get at least one project a year and choose the yarn and the buttons themselves. It's a fun grandma nad grndkid project. You sound like a creative knitter who enjoys designs with yarn and felting. Tt fun to create something truly unique, isn't it?

Debbie

DutchMoeder wrote:
What is your favorite knitting project? I love knitting bags and unique hats, scarves, and arm warmers but have yet to delve into the world of socks. And what is your favorite pattern of that favorite project type?

Thanks!

Amanda Snellink

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Melissa,

I've never been to Woodland but it certainly sounds like my kind of town. I'll have to see if I can include it in a book one day.

Debbie

Vikingmkp wrote:
Hi Debbie,

First of all I'd like to say I really enjoy reading your books. My favorites are the "Navy Series", "Blossom Street Series" and of course those crazy heavenly angels, Shirley, Goodness and Mercy.

I live in Washington State where most of these books originate. My family and I travel to most of these same areas and really enjoy reading about them in your books. My question to you is, Would you ever consider writing a book from my hometown of Woodland? It's in SW Washington, just North of Vancouver. We have so much to offer in this area. Hunting, fishing, skiing, camping, hiking, Mt. St. Helens, the Lilac Gardens and several rivers and lakes. Best of all is the Planter's Day Celebration in mid-June. This is where you get to see the "hometown" atmosphere at it's best. I think our town would make a great setting for one of your fabulous novels. Best of all getting to read about our town in one of your books would be a special treat.

Thanks for all the wonderful books! I always look forward to your new book but have managed to keep a stash of all your others just in case.

Melissa

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Wow, you're read all my books? That's incredible! There are so many good ooks and good authors out there. I read just about everything. Linda Lael Miller is a friend of mine and I would recommend her books. It just so happens that it's her birthday today.

Debbie

Countrylady09 wrote:
Debbie, I love all your books and have read them all to date. Can you write faster? I'm out of anything to read. I finished the latest Blossom Street book in one day. Any suggestions?

Contributor
twinkbb42
0 Kudos

DebbieMacomber wrote:
Dear
Twink,

Personally I enjoy the Pure and Simple patterns or anything by Ann Norling. The best way to learn is to have someone show you, Any yarn store has classes along with JOAnn and Michael stores. Do you know anyone who knits? They can show you too. It's not difficult and once you get started it's addictive. I wish you the best.

Debbie

twinkbb42 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Thank you--Twink

Debbie,

Thank you for responding. I will check with JoAnn and Michael's. I will have to ask my friends if they knit. I visualize myself being like Alix when I start off, hopefully minus the swear words.

Contributor
DutchMoeder
0 Kudos

DebbieMacomber wrote:
Dear Amanda,

I knit just about everything but ,my favorite projects are the sweaters I knit for the grandkids. They each get at least one project a year and choose the yarn and the buttons themselves. It's a fun grandma nad grndkid project. You sound like a creative knitter who enjoys designs with yarn and felting. Tt fun to create something truly unique, isn't it?

Debbie

DutchMoeder wrote:

Thanks!

Amanda Snellink

I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to start telling me what she likes. For now I get the joy of picking out the yarn and buttons! I knit her a sundress for this summer. And each winter I make her a hat and scarf set. Maybe this year I'll attempt my first sweater for her! I do love designing knits. I even sell the in my own little etsy shop... that I named "A Good Yarn" :smileyhappy:
Amanda
____
"If more people knitted and crocheted, the world would see fewer wars and a whole lot less road rage."
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Traci,

the first book I sold was titled HEART SONG but I sold a second book just a couple of months later and it was PUBLISHED first so the title of my first published book is called STARLIGHT. I hope that doesn't confuse you all the more.

Debbie

hocki wrote:
I should have asked this question at the book signing, but didn't raise my hand. :/

Debbie, you were telling us the story of the first story you published and how hard you had to fight for it -- which book was it? --Traci

Reader 2
lynnmdd
0 Kudos

Dear Debbie: Thank you for the words of encouragement. I would love to go to convention someday, but the funds just aren't there this year. We have three sons, and I teach at a private school. I did see that you will be at the Spring Fling in Chicago. Hopefully, I can save up for that one, close to home, too.

Ok the question.....How cool that we have the opportunity to ask you these things... mine is all writing, of course...Have you always written with multiple plots or did you evolve into this kind of writing? As a newbie, I try to make sure I have the appropriate amount of internal and external conflicts for hero and heroine. You have provided those for a cast of characters....Do you storyboard..have character cards...or does it all come to you as you write? Whichever you are truly gifted. Thanks for the time, Lynn
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Lynn,

I look forward to meeting you and hope you're able to attend the Chicago Spring Fling in 2008. I certainly understand about tight finances though. Been there, done that. It was a 5 year struggle before I published my first book. Okay onto your question about multiple plot lines. Actually that was something that evolved as I started writing the longer books. I wrote for the category lines for several years and they were only 50,000 to 75,000 words so when it came to the longer books, I started adding sub-plots that eventually became more than that. Have you read Susannah's Garden? It's one book, one plot, one story-line.

Debbie

lynnmdd wrote:
Dear Debbie: Thank you for the words of encouragement. I would love to go to convention someday, but the funds just aren't there this year. We have three sons, and I teach at a private school. I did see that you will be at the Spring Fling in Chicago. Hopefully, I can save up for that one, close to home, too.

Ok the question.....How cool that we have the opportunity to ask you these things... mine is all writing, of course...Have you always written with multiple plots or did you evolve into this kind of writing? As a newbie, I try to make sure I have the appropriate amount of internal and external conflicts for hero and heroine. You have provided those for a cast of characters....Do you storyboard..have character cards...or does it all come to you as you write? Whichever you are truly gifted. Thanks for the time, Lynn

Contributor
mitchie55
0 Kudos

Starting your book Back To Blossom Street, and reading some of the comments already posted...made me SO aware of how much I miss having time to do crafts. I have dabbled in several things but not knitting.

Maybe it's time to put crafts back into my life...time..that always seems to be the determining factor in everything we want to do.
Contributor
mitchie55
0 Kudos

I posted that comment about time this morning and then these quotes came online this afternoon....

"It is not time which needs to be managed; it is ourselves." -- Gillian Butler, PhD and Tony Hope M.D.

Time only seems to matter when it's running out." -- Peter Strup

So..if I fit in time to read and do this online book club..I probably can manage myself and find time to get back into crafts.
Contributor
flynn31
0 Kudos

How long did it take you to write Back To Blossom Street? How much of the book is fact and fiction in regards to your own life? Did you actually adopt and if so how did it go and was it a boy or girl?
I completed the prayer shawl pattern in the front of the book and gave it to a woman I've known for 20 some years who is also a cancer survivor. She almost cried as she draped in over her shoulders.I told her I decided to give it to her because, unlike some other people I could have given it to,I knew she would share it's gift of healing with others.She attends a cancer survivor group once a month and also does spiritual healings for many, many others.
I plan to buy A Shoppe on Blossom Street and a Good Yarn, but I'm wondering if I goofed to buy the last of the series first? Will reading them out of sequence mess up the joy of reading them?
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Mitchie,

I've discovered that we have time when we make time. I knit mainly for about an hour a night if that while watching the news. More often it's while I'm traveling, waiting in airports. I have friends with limited knitting time who have learned to knit in the dark. They can even knit while in the movies.

Debbie

mitchie55 wrote:
Starting your book Back To Blossom Street, and reading some of the comments already posted...made me SO aware of how much I miss having time to do crafts. I have dabbled in several things but not knitting.

Maybe it's time to put crafts back into my life...time..that always seems to be the determining factor in everything we want to do.

Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 248 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: