Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Colette and Christian

Christian's disappearance in China is a turning point in the story. Were you surprised by this development? Would you agree that it clarifies Colette's feelings about him? Did you believe, at any point in the book, that Christian was capable of the crime he seemed to have committed? Did you feel he should have shared the truth with Colette, and did you understand why he didn't?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Stephanie
Contributor
twinkbb42
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Colette and Christian

Stephanie wrote:

Christian's disappearance in China is a turning point in the story. Were you surprised by this development? Would you agree that it clarifies Colette's feelings about him? Did you believe, at any point in the book, that Christian was capable of the crime he seemed to have committed? Did you feel he should have shared the truth with Colette, and did you understand why he didn't?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

POSSIBLE SPOILER DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU ARE FINISHED!!!!!!

I was not surprised with the turn of events in China. Colette's feelings after Christian's disappearance were in line with how she truly felt about him. I would have been surprised if she had reacted differently.

I had the feeling that Colette was reading the situation incorrectly, that the crime(s) she was assuming that he was committing just wasn't what was really going on. I felt that there was more to it than what she found on his computer. It would have been too convenient of a story line too trite to have guessed so easily.

Christian was not capable of committing such a crime as despicable as this and Debbie doesn't have unredeemable characters or outright cads in her books.

Christian did the right thing by not sharing with Colette what he was really doing. That is reality. When someone is embroiled in this situation you cannot risk telling someone what is really going on, even if you risk this person thinking ill or badly of you.

New User
flutteringfly
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT>>>>>>

I too thought that Colette misunderstood what she was looking at on Christian's computer. When he went to China and was lost I thought for sure he was just undercover and that is why no one in the office new what he was doing. When he told Collette not to see the detective I new right then and there that Christian must be a good guy. The "reunion" between the two couldn't have gone any better
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: SPOILER ALERT

I was hoping throughout the entire book that Christian was a good guy- even though plenty of us have fallen in love with creeps, I was hoping Colette hadn't. I kept expecting to find out that he was smuggling women from China and giving them a better life here. A bit preposterous, I know! :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Contributor
rjmwalters
0 Kudos

Actually, although I loved these characters and was thrilled with the way things turned out, I was a little disappointed with this story line. I thought it was a little too predictable. I knew from the beginning that what she thought was going on was not what really was going on. I figured he'd either be working with authorities (which I was sure of once they were notified and nothing happened) or (as someone else suggested) he was bringing people into the country for some atruistic reason. In any case, it wasn't a real "mystery" but I still liked the characters and the conclusion. Sometimes, I just have to remind myself that this is fiction and I go with the flow!
Contributor
Reenie5
0 Kudos

SPOILER ALERT!!

I wasn't surprised at the twist about what Christian was up to, and was so pleased to see it all work out for them in the end.
Contributor
DutchMoeder
0 Kudos

I knew he had to be working for the government more out of knowledge of Debbies writing than the way the storyline was moving.

However I must say that I could never imagine him doing such a horrible thing When it was so obvious he loved Colette. No one who can love another human so much is capable of something so tragic in my opinion... Luckily I was right!
Amanda
____
"If more people knitted and crocheted, the world would see fewer wars and a whole lot less road rage."
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Colette and Christian

I thought...I hoped...that there was more to Christian's involvement than what Colette believed. I was glad to learn that to be the case. I agree that his disappearance does solidify her feelings for him - or at least her acknowledging her feelings for him. I do wish he would have told her the truth earlier, but I understand why he didn't.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Of course Christian should have shared his problem with her, but men find all kinds of excuses for not doing it. If he trusted her, he would know that she would keep his secret.
New User
Marty50
0 Kudos

At first I assumed Christian was really involved in something illegal. After Colette's discussions with Elizabeth I realized it unlikely that he was truly doing something to hurt others. Colette was a sweetheart but she seemed too afraid of Christian. I couldn't wait until it all 'turned out' in the end. I was 'just dying' for her to let Christian know about the baby. I couldn't have held it all in and am glad she was able to be open with Alix and Elizabeth. I hope Colette will remain a character in Debbie's next book (!).
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I kind of thought that Christian wasn't in any smuggling ring; Debbie never seems to have villians in her books. But I had my suspicions when he went to China and disappeared. Colette was really worried and I think this was the turning point for her as she wore her heart on her sleeve for him. She was super glad when he was found and was coming home; a happy ending for all.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
flynn31
0 Kudos

I like Colette wanted to believe that Christian wasn't capable of the crime, but there was serious doubt. I did think he fled to China to escape punishment from the law.
I thought he might be a skirt chaser and didn't think he had any of intentions of being decent to Colette. When he pursued her and kept asking her to come back I though it was with the intent of bribing her so she would keep her mouth shut.
I loved the aunt that raised him and her mansion of a home. She shed some light on the true Christian that we saw towards the end of the book.
It was an ideal love story to see the two of them marry.
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Okay, I agree that this plot line was probably the weak link in the book but I just couldn't make Chrisitian a bad guy. It would have been more believable if he was but it just wasn't in me to do it.

Debbie

rjmwalters wrote:
Actually, although I loved these characters and was thrilled with the way things turned out, I was a little disappointed with this story line. I thought it was a little too predictable. I knew from the beginning that what she thought was going on was not what really was going on. I figured he'd either be working with authorities (which I was sure of once they were notified and nothing happened) or (as someone else suggested) he was bringing people into the country for some atruistic reason. In any case, it wasn't a real "mystery" but I still liked the characters and the conclusion. Sometimes, I just have to remind myself that this is fiction and I go with the flow!

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I agree because by telling her Christian could have placed her in danger. At least that was my line of thinking when I wrote the book.

Debie

kiakar wrote:
Of course Christian should have shared his problem with her, but men find all kinds of excuses for not doing it. If he trusted her, he would know that she would keep his secret.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

I'm just starting to think about the plot for the next Knitting book which will be published in 2009. Collette will make an appearance in 20 WISHES for sure though.

Debbie

Marty50 wrote:
At first I assumed Christian was really involved in something illegal. After Colette's discussions with Elizabeth I realized it unlikely that he was truly doing something to hurt others. Colette was a sweetheart but she seemed too afraid of Christian. I couldn't wait until it all 'turned out' in the end. I was 'just dying' for her to let Christian know about the baby. I couldn't have held it all in and am glad she was able to be open with Alix and Elizabeth. I hope Colette will remain a character in Debbie's next book (!).

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

DebbieMacomber wrote:
Okay, I agree that this plot line was probably the weak link in the book but I just couldn't make Christian a bad guy. It would have been more believable if he was but it just wasn't in me to do it.

Debbie

Debbie,

I'm really glad you chose this path for Christian- I really wanted some happiness for Colette, especially after finding out her marriage wasn't all it seemed. That was a bit of a surprise to me - and yet, it confirms what we know, that you can't possibly know what's going on behind closed doors, and while we may think we know what kind of marriage our friends have, we're really only seeing what they want us to see.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Marty50 wrote:

I was on my tip toes too in anxiety awaiting the outcome of this story.
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Thank you, Stephanie. What you said is really affirming.

Debbie

Stephanie wrote:

DebbieMacomber wrote:
Okay, I agree that this plot line was probably the weak link in the book but I just couldn't make Christian a bad guy. It would have been more believable if he was but it just wasn't in me to do it.

Debbie

Debbie,

I'm really glad you chose this path for Christian- I really wanted some happiness for Colette, especially after finding out her marriage wasn't all it seemed. That was a bit of a surprise to me - and yet, it confirms what we know, that you can't possibly know what's going on behind closed doors, and while we may think we know what kind of marriage our friends have, we're really only seeing what they want us to see.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

One of my goals as the author is to keep the reader, as you say "on their tiptoes!" or turning the pages. So thank you for the wonderful compliment.

Debbie

kiakar wrote:

Marty50 wrote:

I was on my tip toes too in anxiety awaiting the outcome of this story.

Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 696 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: