Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Friendship

Friendship, especially among women, is an important and recurring theme in Debbie Macomber's novels. In this story, we watch the friendship between Alix and Colette take root and grow, despite the initial awkwardness between them. Why do you think they develop such a strong bond?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Stephanie
Contributor
rjmwalters
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Friendship

It was easy for me to understand and believe that Alix and Colette would become close because they were both going through stressful times. Then, after Collette told Alix her "secret", that brought them even closer together. They both needed someone to lean on for support and understanding. That is what makes women's friendships so special!
Contributor
Reenie5
0 Kudos

I felt a huge growth in Alix's self confidence in this book, in spite of the wedding issues she currently has on her plate. She seems stronger to me, and I think that's what made her capable of reaching out to Collette. And I think Collette was in a place where a good friend was welcome, even a new one. Timing...I think it was all about good timing for both of them.

Maureen
Contributor
DutchMoeder
0 Kudos

I think that both characters recognizing in one another the fact that you can do something against your morals and against your feelings of whats right and wrong but not be any less of a good person. With that being realized Colette could speak easier to Alix and Alix would be less judgmental.

Its easier to form a strong bond when you recognize something so important in one another.
Amanda
____
"If more people knitted and crocheted, the world would see fewer wars and a whole lot less road rage."
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

yes, it is so great when a person meets a true friend, one they can share confidences with and also solutions, to talk over. Friends are so much part of our lives. And what kind of life do we have without them.
Contributor
flynn31
0 Kudos

Hi this is Gloria:
I feel the bond grows between the two because they both feel that their lives are controlled by others (others problems & addictions), and they lack the assertiveness to stand their ground and fight for what is theirs.
In a way Colette has recognized her problem a little sooner than Alix and she is trying help her see that her inability to act is allowing others to walk on her and take control of her life.
That common bond is the glue that stuck them together.
Contributor
cascadegypsy
0 Kudos

I believe that Alix was on the receiving end of Margaret's distrust before and that may have helped her to reach out to Colette in the beginning. Some times you just met some one and feel a kindred spirit in that person, or it could have been that Colette sensed that Alix would be the last one to judge her. I also think that there was the theme of paying it forward. Alix was befriended by people that she met through Lydia's knitting classes, and was passing that on to Colette.
Leisa
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I think they are both going through some rough times. One has a wedding that's running amuk and the other is single and pregnant. They feel they can talk about their individual issues with each other and there's no one to yell at them or tell them they have done something wrong or things aren't going right.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Leisa,

I got the same sense- Alix and Colette did have a "kindred spirit" type of bond, but also, Alix knew from her own past experiences what Colette was feeling. She definitely was paying it forward. Colette needed that acceptance, and Alix knew it. Great choice, Debbie, to have Alix help Colette!

Message Edited by Stephanie on 06-11-2007 01:19 PM
Stephanie
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Great! That was exactly what I intended.

Debbie

rjmwalters wrote:
It was easy for me to understand and believe that Alix and Colette would become close because they were both going through stressful times. Then, after Collette told Alix her "secret", that brought them even closer together. They both needed someone to lean on for support and understanding. That is what makes women's friendships so special!

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Maureen,

Yes, I felt Alix had grown too . . . I loved how she had to courage to call off the wedding even though she was desperately in love with Jordan. Can you imagine what courage that must have taken for her? I think Alix is one of my all time favorite characters.

Debbie

Reenie5 wrote:
I felt a huge growth in Alix's self confidence in this book, in spite of the wedding issues she currently has on her plate. She seems stronger to me, and I think that's what made her capable of reaching out to Collette. And I think Collette was in a place where a good friend was welcome, even a new one. Timing...I think it was all about good timing for both of them.

Maureen

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Amanda,

You're right on with this. Colette knew she could confide in Alix because Alix would never judge her.

Debbie

DutchMoeder wrote:
I think that both characters recognizing in one another the fact that you can do something against your morals and against your feelings of whats right and wrong but not be any less of a good person. With that being realized Colette could speak easier to Alix and Alix would be less judgmental.

Its easier to form a strong bond when you recognize something so important in one another.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Gloria,

I think seeing Colette take action actually helped Alix to made her own stand with Jordan.

Debbie

flynn31 wrote:
Hi this is Gloria:
I feel the bond grows between the two because they both feel that their lives are controlled by others (others problems & addictions), and they lack the assertiveness to stand their ground and fight for what is theirs.
In a way Colette has recognized her problem a little sooner than Alix and she is trying help her see that her inability to act is allowing others to walk on her and take control of her life.
That common bond is the glue that stuck them together.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Amen to that!!!

Debbie

kiakar wrote:
yes, it is so great when a person meets a true friend, one they can share confidences with and also solutions, to talk over. Friends are so much part of our lives. And what kind of life do we have without them.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Liesa, I love this idea of Alix playing it forward. What a great insight.

Debbie

cascadegypsy wrote:
I believe that Alix was on the receiving end of Margaret's distrust before and that may have helped her to reach out to Colette in the beginning. Some times you just met some one and feel a kindred spirit in that person, or it could have been that Colette sensed that Alix would be the last one to judge her. I also think that there was the theme of paying it forward. Alix was befriended by people that she met through Lydia's knitting classes, and was passing that on to Colette.

Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Excellent thought!

Debbie

maxcat wrote:
I think they are both going through some rough times. One has a wedding that's running amuk and the other is single and pregnant. They feel they can talk about their individual issues with each other and there's no one to yell at them or tell them they have done something wrong or things aren't going right.

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 217 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: