Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Your Favorite Character

Which character in this book did you like best? Which one would you most want for a friend, and why?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Stephanie
New User
Dragonlady12
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: Your Favorite Character

I loved all the characters in all of the books but I will have to say that Alix is still my favorite. If you haven't finished the book, don't read the rest of this post.

She is strong. She sees her inadequacies and, for the most part, ignores them. She pulled herself up and is now a remarkable and fantastic person worth all the love she gets. I love the part where Jordan finally stands up for her and says all the wonderful things about her to his mom. She doesn't judge or belittle people. The way she befriended Collete is wonderful and they way she controlled and dealt with Jordan's grandmother's death was amazing. If she was a real person, I see her going very far in life with a wonderful man at her side and reaching every goal she sets for herself.

I loved Lydia as well and kept hoping that she would miraculously become pregnant with all her talk with Brad about babies. Oh well, I know that it wouldn't really be possible with her history, but hey, it was a wish.
New User
flutteringfly
0 Kudos

I think my favorite character in the whole series is Lydia. She has faced her own demons and health issues throughout the 3 books and is a true testament to "LIVE STRONG". She also was an amazing mentor in another story written by Debbie in which a young girl was suffering from her own battle with cancer.

Kris
Contributor
Reenie5
0 Kudos

I think Lydia has become my favorite. She seems like the anchor...solid, steady and always firmly grounded in spite of the swirling chaos surrounding everyone. I think she'd be a great friend to have.
Contributor
DutchMoeder
0 Kudos

Alix... It's always been Alix. I want to go sit with her at a restaurant and have a bit to eat. I want to invite her into my kitchen so we can bake together and share recipe ideas.

I bet talking over a good cake and a good knitting pattern with her would make my life complete. The way she handled such a difficult situation at her wedding was inspiring and I felt that if I was in that same place I'd want her there to help me.

She goes to show EVERYONE on blossom street and on the other side of the pages that you can't judge someone who dresses different or has a tattoo. You have to judge them on who they are and keep in mind that the past is the past and that people should judge one another on the present.
Amanda
____
"If more people knitted and crocheted, the world would see fewer wars and a whole lot less road rage."
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I can't narrow it down to one - it has to be both Lydia & Alix. Different from each other, they would individually add a lot to a friend's life. It's been wonderful to see the growth in Alix - watching her mature and come into her own. She would give an honest outlook to life. Lydia too has grown quite a bit.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

flutteringfly wrote:
I think my favorite character in the whole series is Lydia. She has faced her own demons and health issues throughout the 3 books and is a true testament to "LIVE STRONG". She also was an amazing mentor in another story written by Debbie in which a young girl was suffering from her own battle with cancer.

Kris

Oh! Yes! She is definitely mine! I do love her. SHe just seems like a warm and like a shoulder you cry on kind of person that everyone wants in their life.
New User
Marty50
0 Kudos

I think Lydia would be a great friend. She seems very grounded and has dealt with her past challenges and is presently grateful for her husband and stepson. I don't knit, but have done needlepoint and know that it is truly therapy. I cared a lot for Colette but I think I would like to know Lydia best.
Contributor
flynn31
0 Kudos

Hi this is Gloria:
My favorite character is Lydia. I share a common bond with her ability to over come a life altering illness and to keep her life in a positive direction by focusing on her creative side.
I too love to quilt, knit, sip tea and visit with other women as a way of gaining strength when negative influences in my life leave me feeling drained.
I love the way she nutures and mentors other women around her that are suffering in a different way. Helping others helps her to feel better about herself and her life.
Contributor
cascadegypsy
0 Kudos

It's impossible for me to choose one character. I've loved Lydia and Alix from day one. Both of them have come through some hard times with a strength of character and grace that it would be hard not admire. I loved the way that Alix was with Jordan's grandmother, and how she came to see her as her own grandmother. I liked how Lydia was with her nieces and what she did for her sister. I also found that I wanted to get to know Colette more, but what I'd really like to know is, how Julia continues to deal with what she went through. Debbie, I hope that you will continue to give us updates on Julia in the next book or books.
Leisa
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I do like Alix as she really has changed from the first novel as being a street kid. She really turned herself around and made good of her life by marrying a preacher. She would definitely be a friend of mine.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
marymaca
0 Kudos

I do agree with many of the readers. Lydia is also my favorite character. She is strong, caring, and dependable. She is also a calming influence on all of the kntting groups. Don't you think she needs some one to hold her up? She's very independent and hesitant to seek guidance or counsel from others including her husband.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

In this book, I really liked Colette. I felt that she was a careful person, and her honesty and integrity is something to be prized! That she would not continue a relationship with someone she loved on principle - that Wowed me. She was careful not to be intrusive with Margaret, and when she formed her friendship with Alix, she was open to what Alix told her.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
johanna49
0 Kudos

As many of you, Lydia was my favorite character. She has wonderful spirit and
determination. Though, I also like Alix. She has grown since the first book. With
friendship, love and her own motivation Alix succeeded from her dysfunctional life.
Also the best new character is Colette. Her pregancy was a bittersweet one.
She came through with great determination.
New User
Novashannon
0 Kudos

Until now, alix was my favorite character. I just love strong, compassionate women! But her refusal to compromise on some aspects of the wedding , after first being a doormat, turned me off of her. The whole point of a wedding is celebrating with family, otherwise yo u might as well just elope. It would not have hurt her to allow her future mother-in-law and her friend, Jacqueline, some of the pleasure of seeing some of their suggestions implemented. I thought she was very selfish in the end.

So, I have to say my favorite in this book is Julia. She went through a tough time, and came out stronger and more compassionate.
Author
DebbieMacomber
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

I enjoyed reading your comments about your favorite character and why. Each response resonated with me. As the author each one: Lydia, Margaret, Alix, Colette, Aunt Elizabeth, Julia and all the others are like my own children. Each one holds a place in my heart as well as in the story. Your comments have been insightful and thoughtful. Thank you one and all.

Debbie
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 990 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: