Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Twinksista
0 Kudos

Re: A Welcome from the Author

Hi Cuz' Betty--This is Lynn aka Mimi Glad you're on board---'Sorta like a family reunion!!!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Twinksista
0 Kudos

Hi, all! I drank a lotta those good drinks in Key West, In March!!!!!!!!!!! Woah!!! This is what the bartender offered as a recipe: 8 or 10 leaves of mint, mulled; half a lime squeezed into the mint; 2 or 3 tbs. simple syrup and 1/2 of a peeled and seeded mango, cut in pieces. Throw all into a blender, with about 10 cubes of ice and 2 oz. of good rum. Let it crush, etc. till it is like a "Frosty". One serving when poured into a med sized glass. Yum Mimi-"The Cook" (Twinksista)
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Twinksista wrote:
Hi, all! I drank a lotta those good drinks in Key West, In March!!!!!!!!!!! Woah!!! This is what the bartender offered as a recipe: 8 or 10 leaves of mint, mulled; half a lime squeezed into the mint; 2 or 3 tbs. simple syrup and 1/2 of a peeled and seeded mango, cut in pieces. Throw all into a blender, with about 10 cubes of ice and 2 oz. of good rum. Let it crush, etc. till it is like a "Frosty". One serving when poured into a med sized glass. Yum Mimi-"The Cook" (Twinksista)

I would imagine that the mangos need to be just the right ripeness and sweetness, dont you think? I have bought some here that were pretty tough and no flavor and I dont think they would make a good one at all lol. But when you can get a really good one, yum!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

mulled ... what is mulled? :smileysad:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

only mulled I know in cooking is like to heat with spices.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

cindersue wrote:

then why don't they say cook with spices. hehehe TY, Viv. Now I can try the recipe, once I get all the ingredients. :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

cindersue wrote:

then why don't they say cook with spices. hehehe TY, Viv. Now I can try the recipe, once I get all the ingredients. :smileywink:

Cause that would be too easy, like old cookbooks that say add a dash or a pinch lol. I guess then you heat the mint leaves and add the other stuff to it huh? heat them in the lime? and add the rest? I will mull it over awhile LOL! oh, not that mull huh?
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

"Mulling" mint

[ Edited ]

cindersue wrote:

Mulled is when you take the mint leaves and mash them some to release the oils and flavors in the leaves. I guess the correct term is muddle but most people use mull. There is even a special little gadget that you can use to do it. It's called a muddler. You can look at them here: http://www.mojitocompany.com/home.php?cat=108

The drink Mimi described sounds like a Mojito but with some mangoes in them.

Later--

Mair

Message Edited by mairwill on 07-13-2007 03:40 PM
New User
Beechmama
0 Kudos

Hi Dot, Love your books , keep em coming!!
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: "Mulling" mint

mairwill wrote:

cindersue wrote:

Mulled is when you take the mint leaves and mash them some to release the oils and flavors in the leaves. I guess the correct term is muddle but most people use mull. There is even a special little gadget that you can use to do it. It's called a muddler. You can look at them here: http://www.mojitocompany.com/home.php?cat=108

The drink Mimi described sounds like a Mojito but with some mangoes in them.

Later--

Mair

Message Edited by mairwill on 07-13-2007 03:40 PM

Thanks Mair! Believe it or not, I'm a home ec major, and I never heard of mulled that way. Thanks for clearing that up! :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Re: "Mulling" mint--cindersue

cindersue--

I know way too much about drinking! LOL!

Later--

Mair
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Beechmama wrote:
Hi Dot, Love your books , keep em coming!!

Glad you're here!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Twinksista wrote:

Lynn - what's up on edisto today? Twink

Contributor
Hildegard1
0 Kudos

OK! I picked up the book at the library yesterday morning and returned it this morning. What a terrific read! And since I fly back to California Monday morning to go back to work and to pack up my stuff in our sold home, find and apartment with my niece, and move, I'm ready for a new beginning! It's terrifying and exciting all at the same time. The book certainly was/is a huge encouragement and non-prescription anti-anxiety medication!!!!!!

KathyH
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Kathy - where are you moving to? I probably missed it! Anyway, I am thrilled you enjoyed the book and hope you have a great move! Change is good!

Hildegard1 wrote:
OK! I picked up the book at the library yesterday morning and returned it this morning. What a terrific read! And since I fly back to California Monday morning to go back to work and to pack up my stuff in our sold home, find and apartment with my niece, and move, I'm ready for a new beginning! It's terrifying and exciting all at the same time. The book certainly was/is a huge encouragement and non-prescription anti-anxiety medication!!!!!!

KathyH

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathy H,

Good Luck, Godspeed, and Mazletov!

Moving can be great fun, but moving creates physical and mental stress, so take a few minutes out every so often to give yourself a break. The busier I am, the happier I am, so I'm one to plunge in and work 'til all hours breaking my neck until I drop. After seven big moves and umpteen in-town moves, I've finally learned to pace myself. Believe it or not, my most peaceful moves were the overseas ones. No long car trips involved!
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Kathy H,

Good Luck, Godspeed, and Mazletov!

Moving can be great fun, but moving creates physical and mental stress, so take a few minutes out every so often to give yourself a break. The busier I am, the happier I am, so I'm one to plunge in and work 'til all hours breaking my neck until I drop. After seven big moves and umpteen in-town moves, I've finally learned to pace myself. Believe it or not, my most peaceful moves were the overseas ones. No long car trips involved!

Wow! Stephanie; You have been through it, haven't you? The moving that is? Are you in Florida to stay now, or is there another move coming up? I probably have forgotten whether your husband is still in service or if he retired yet. You should know so much about moving, you can write a book and help people have a smoother move.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Linda,

I have moved quite a lot, but I'm all finished with that now. About your book idea ... if I write it, I'll have to relive it. And I don't think I could take that! :smileyhappy: I'm hurting for Kathy H just thinking about her move.

Florida Forever!
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 616 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: