Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: A Welcome from the Author

Unless it's a brilliant, clear red pinot noir from California! :smileyhappy:

mairwill wrote:

dotfrank wrote:
Hey Betty! How are you? The the mango one I have used comes from a Williams Sonoma mix and truthfully? It's disgusting. I'd rather have a glass of Sauvignon blanc! how hot is it in NC? It's 100 in NJ! yuk.

Nothing wrong with a nice cool crisp Sauvignon Blanc!

Mair

Message Edited by mairwill on 07-10-2007 05:09 PM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I can contribute a nice chardonnay from the Niagara Wine region!

KathyS wrote:

mairwill wrote:

dotfrank wrote:
Hey Betty! How are you? The the mango one I have used comes from a Williams Sonoma mix and truthfully? It's disgusting. I'd rather have a glass of Sauvignon blanc! how hot is it in NC? It's 100 in NJ! yuk.

Mair

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LizzieAnn wrote:

KathyS wrote:

mairwill wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Mair

Leave out the disgusting part :smileyindifferent:....and I'll say Yum to all of the above!....put'm together, and wuddya got?----bibbity, bobbity boo! :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-10-2007 03:17 PM
Contributor
Liz1017
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:

KathyS wrote:

mairwill wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Mair

LizzieAnn - Where are you from? Ever get to the Fingerlakes Wine region???
--Liz
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

To Liz1017

[ Edited ]
I haven't been to the Finger Lakes region yet. I'm not an original WNYer - just here a couple of years. But I've done the Niagara wine trail. It's lots of fun. Every month they have something fun - in fact this weekend is Cool Whites, Hot Nights. The Honeymoon Trail Winery is nice as are several others.

Liz1017 wrote:

LizzieAnn - Where are you from? Ever get to the Fingerlakes Wine region???
--Liz

Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 07-11-2007 10:57 AM
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
New User
Helene
0 Kudos

Reply to-A Welcome from the Author

Dear Dorothea,

I love your books and order them before they are even released!! As a matter of fact, my Sister and Mother are just as obsessed with your work. None of us can wait for the other to finish your book so all three of us buy the book separately so we can start reading as soon as it is released.

I used to live in Charleston (Anson Street) and left my heart in the Low Country in 1999. I am a Yankee and only lived in Charleston for 5 years but some of my dearest Friends are Charlestonians (and would always introduce me as, "my Yankee Friend, Helene"-I am sure you can understand). I even have a few Friends that went to school with you (and rememeber you fondly)! :smileyhappy:

Thank you for your wonderful books! They bring such joy to me. You are able to capture and describe the Low Country in such fabulous detail. I only wish you could write faster and put out more books!!! Nevertheless, I have learned patience in my old age (of 44) and your books are definitely worth the wait! Again, a million thanks!

Warmest regards, Helene
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Reply to-A Welcome from the Author

Dear Dorothea,

I love your books and order them before they are even released!! .... I am a Yankee and only lived in Charleston for 5 years but some of my dearest Friends are Charlestonians (and would always introduce me as, "my Yankee Friend, Helene"-I am sure you can understand). I even have a few Friends that went to school with you (and rememeber you fondly)! :smileyhappy:

Warmest regards, Helene

So where is this yankee from? I'm from IL. :smileywink:
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

POOF! I hereby declare all members of this group to be Honorary Geechee Girls! Or Guys!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

New User
born2swim
0 Kudos

Hi,

I bought this book on a Friday and finished it the following Monday! I really liked the book and am looking forward to this book club. I missed last year's book club although I read the book. I was in the one the year before.

Wendy W.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Helene

Helene wrote:
Dear Dorothea,

I love your books and order them before they are even released!! As a matter of fact, my Sister and Mother are just as obsessed with your work. None of us can wait for the other to finish your book so all three of us buy the book separately so we can start reading as soon as it is released.

I used to live in Charleston (Anson Street) and left my heart in the Low Country in 1999. I am a Yankee and only lived in Charleston for 5 years but some of my dearest Friends are Charlestonians (and would always introduce me as, "my Yankee Friend, Helene"-I am sure you can understand). I even have a few Friends that went to school with you (and rememeber you fondly)! :smileyhappy:

Thank you for your wonderful books! They bring such joy to me. You are able to capture and describe the Low Country in such fabulous detail. I only wish you could write faster and put out more books!!! Nevertheless, I have learned patience in my old age (of 44) and your books are definitely worth the wait! Again, a million thanks!

Warmest regards, Helene

Welcome Helene! Hey watch the old age thing - I'm only a little younger than you! :smileywink: There are some days my body feels very old but my heart and mind are thinking very young. It's good to have you with us.
New User
Orchid_Chick
0 Kudos

Got Margaritas and Mangos?

Hi Dot and All,
I have been a reader since Sullivan's Island and have loved each of your books.

Here's a great tip from the world of margarita's: Baja Bobs makes a sugar-free, calorie free, great tasting version of margaritas both original and strawberry, though no mango version yet. I am a dietitian and my clients are hooked on these as a special treat. They are great without alcohol, though you can add a shot for 100 calories. You can google Baja Bobs online and find them.

I am waiting for my newest book to arrive. 'Looking forward to having this opportunity to chat with you. Fire up the mangos, I'm ready to go.
All my best,
Orchid Chick
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Got Margaritas and Mangos?

Hey, Orchid Chick, thanks for the info, and we'll await your arrival! Another Dot fan!!...Happy reading!

Kathy S.

Orchid_Chick wrote:
Hi Dot and All,

Here's a great tip from the world of margarita's: Baja Bobs makes a sugar-free, calorie free, great tasting version of margaritas both original and strawberry, though no mango version yet. I am a dietitian and my clients are hooked on these as a special treat. They are great without alcohol, though you can add a shot for 100 calories. You can google Baja Bobs online and find them.

I am waiting for my newest book to arrive. 'Looking forward to having this opportunity to chat with you. Fire up the mangos, I'm ready to go.
All my best,
Orchid Chick

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Helene wrote:
Dear Dorothea,

Warmest regards, Helene

Helene wrote:
Dear Dorothea,

Warmest regards, Helene

Helene - Thanks for your nice note and welcome! Who did you know that I knew? If you're in here you ain't a Yankee no mo'! You are a Geechee Girl! Thanks!

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Orchid_Chick wrote:
Hi Dot and All,

All my best,
Orchid Chick

Welcome and thanks for your kind words! Is Baja Bob a pre mix in the stores? Not that I would indulge . . . ahem, ahem . . .

KathyS
0 Kudos

Dot. I found the website for you....I'm not a big sugar free fan, but if you try it, and don't croak, let me know how it is!
http://www.bajabob.com/home.html

Kathy S.

dotfrank wrote:

Orchid_Chick wrote:
Hi Dot and All,

All my best,
Orchid Chick

Welcome and thanks for your kind words! Is Baja Bob a pre mix in the stores? Not that I would indulge . . . ahem, ahem . . .

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
Dot. I found the website for you....I'm not a big sugar free fan, but if you try it, and don't croak, let me know how it is!
http://www.bajabob.com/home.html

Kathy S.

dotfrank wrote:

Orchid_Chick wrote:
Hi Dot and All,

All my best,
Orchid Chick

Thanks! Precious web site!

Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

I've never heard of this mix either. Can u get this mix up North? :smileytongue: And I love to use my margarita machine and make a variety of them. I have some weight watcher recipes too, that are low in sugar. :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

I've never heard of this mix either. Can u get this mix up North? :smileytongue: And I love to use my margarita machine and make a variety of them. I have some weight watcher recipes too, that are low in sugar. :smileywink:

make mine weight watchers and virgin drinks cindersue lol. I have lost about all the weight i am going to and the other, well that was lost some time ago LOL! :smileywink: OOH, have you got one for Pina Coladas??? I love them even better lol. You're not a northerner really, your a midwesterner,like me, who just happens to live up in the northern parts of the midwest lol. I love that beach sand there too. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

cindersue,
check out the website, and click on the retail locations button....then type in your zip code. I live in the boonies...almost, and there is a store just 3 miles down the road from me, which sells the stuff! Most of the other locations were fairly close, too. It looks like these stores are mostly health food, or health oriented places. Must be pretty popular, and healthy! Good luck, and happy drinking!

Kathy S.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
cindersue,
check out the website, and click on the retail locations button....then type in your zip code. I live in the boonies...almost, and there is a store just 3 miles down the road from me, which sells the stuff! Most of the other locations were fairly close, too. It looks like these stores are mostly health food, or health oriented places. Must be pretty popular, and healthy! Good luck, and happy drinking!

Kathy S.

thanks, I'll try that. Maybe I'll have a Mango one sooner than i thought. :smileywink:
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 263 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: