Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

A Welcome from the Author

Dear Reader,

The idea for The Land of Mango Sunsets was actually a small collection of ideas. First, I read a funny little piece in the New York Times about African Gray parrots, that they have the cognitive skills of a three-year old child. Well, that was pretty interesting. Then I started thinking about the average American woman who comes of age in a small town and her world is unchanging, her behaviors are prescribed from birth and her choices are fewer – marriage, secretarial school, nursing, middle management in some bank, etc. If she stays she will have two children, a minivan, golf club membership etc.

So, what if an early marriage catapults her into a major city and her husband, who is wildly ambitious, begins to play by another set of rules? What if her whole world implodes and self-righteous white hot fury is her alimony? What are the lowest emotional and financial circumstances in which I could place her so that she could dig her way out and still be of interest to my readers? And, perhaps most importantly, how do you make this entertaining?

She thinks her mother is a hippie – she’s wrong. She thinks she’s in love with Manny – she’s wrong. She thinks Harrison is in love with her mother – she’s wrong. She thinks her sons don’t love her – she’s wrong. A woman like this is interesting to me. I have been her more times than I care to admit. Finally, how important is place? Very. Is it a love story? You bet. But it’s about so much more than love between a man and a woman. It’s about allowing, no, insisting that you pack as much love and happiness into your authentic life built of values you embrace. And it’s about learning to laugh, really laugh. These are the things I was thinking about when Mango started to take shape.

So I welcome you to this discussion group and I know that we are going to have a great time analyzing Miriam/Mellie and all her supporting cast. Personally? I’m working on a mango smoothie and invite you to do the same. Does anyone care how much mango I ate on book tour? I’m guessing probably not but there are some pretty funny stories to tell about book tour too!

Sending y’all tons of hugs and huge thanks for your support!
Dot Frank

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Contributor
Hildegard1
0 Kudos

Re: A Welcome from the Author

Hi Dot,

I'm so excited to be with you in another group with another book!

I'll check in again on Monday to see what's happening.

KathyH
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Hildegard1 wrote:
Hi Dot,

I'm so excited to be with you in another group with another book!

I'll check in again on Monday to see what's happening.

KathyH

That goes double for me! Can't wait for Dot's arrival! Her books are so awesome! And this one, has become #l on my list. Wow! So intriguing.
Contributor
AnnMar
0 Kudos

I loved this book. I could related to Miriam and hoping to become more like Mellie. I also want to visit Sullivan's Island someday. Your descriptions were wonderful. This is the first time I read one of your books, but I assure you it won't be the last!

Ann
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

AnnMar wrote:
I loved this book. I could related to Miriam and hoping to become more like Mellie. I also want to visit Sullivan's Island someday. Your descriptions were wonderful. This is the first time I read one of your books, but I assure you it won't be the last!

Ann

AnnMar, all of her books are so engrossing. Everyone I read gets better and better each time she writes a new one. You will just have to start on another and read them all.
Frequent Contributor
bettymac
0 Kudos

Hi, Dot. Your Benton cousin from Raleigh checking in. I'm really looking forward to discussing this book with you and the group. This discussion is my first with you but certainly not my first of your books! I love them all...and this one is as scrumptious as a mango marguerita...and that's saying something..by the way,do you have a mango marguerita recipe to share? LOL
Betty
Betty

"Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are" is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread. ~François Mauriac
Contributor
Liz1017
0 Kudos

Yay, Dot! So glad you decided to write about this. I absolutely loved this book and the situations Mellie got herself into! Can't wait to discuss this book with you and everyone here!

Liz
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Welcome Bettymac--

I've got some mangoes and Margarita mix in my fridge. I need a recipe for a mango Margarita, too. Maybe I'll get industrious and look one up.

Later--

Mair
Contributor
lynna
0 Kudos

As I mentioned to you in an email the moment I finished the book, it is wonderfully a place to fill a void in my heart and I loved it all the way to the end. Thank you and thanks for being a part of this site.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Let us know when you have a pitcher ready!!! ;D

mairwill wrote:
Welcome Bettymac--

I've got some mangoes and Margarita mix in my fridge. I need a recipe for a mango Margarita, too. Maybe I'll get industrious and look one up.

Later--

Mair

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Yeah, I have an empty glass sitting, right here, waiting! I've never had a mango margarita before, virgin, or otherwise!

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:

mairwill wrote:
Welcome Bettymac--

Later--

Mair

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

KathyH - I'm excited too! Thanks!

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Ann - Thanks! Sullivans Island is awesome for sure. anytime you want to go let me know - I make recommendations like I work for the Chamber of Commerce! Dot

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Hey Betty! How are you? The the mango one I have used comes from a Williams Sonoma mix and truthfully? It's disgusting. I'd rather have a glass of Sauvignon blanc! how hot is it in NC? It's 100 in NJ! yuk.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Hey Liz! So glad you're here! Questions? Fire away!

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Lynna - glad to have you here!

BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

Hey mairwill -- the Food Network actually made this one
pretty easy...

Somebody let us know how it tastes! (I've got mangoes at home but no tequila...) I'm assuming this one works better than the Williams-Sonoma mix type.

mairwill wrote:
Welcome Bettymac--

Later--

Mair

Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Bill--

Thanks for the mango Margarita recipe. My book club is coming over Thursday night. Think I'll have a batch of those for the ladies. Might make our discussion more interesting. LOL!

Later--

Mair
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dotfrank wrote:
Hey Betty! How are you? The the mango one I have used comes from a Williams Sonoma mix and truthfully? It's disgusting. I'd rather have a glass of Sauvignon blanc! how hot is it in NC? It's 100 in NJ! yuk.

Nothing wrong with a nice cool crisp Sauvignon Blanc!

Mair

Message Edited by mairwill on 07-10-2007 05:09 PM
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
Yeah, I have an empty glass sitting, right here, waiting! I've never had a mango margarita before, virgin, or otherwise!

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:

mairwill wrote:
Welcome Bettymac--

Later--

Mair

I bet that would be good, though. Have to try it, if I can find one.>
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 267 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: