Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Dot and Her Kids-spoiler if havent finished the book

Linda,

You're right- thank goodness they started calling those poor kids something else! I have a rule about naming children and pets- you have to shout that name out the back door at least a dozen times. If you don't hate it after that, it's a good name.
Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

kids names

Stephanie wrote:
Linda,

You're right- thank goodness they started calling those poor kids something else! I have a rule about naming children and pets- you have to shout that name out the back door at least a dozen times. If you don't hate it after that, it's a good name.

That's so funny that you said that! When we were trying to decide on names for our kids we would say the whole name, parts of the name, the initials, the name along with the rest of the family's names - everything we could think of! We didn't want to regret it later. And when we were buying our first home my husband had to shout our kids' (that we had so far) names and our pets' names out the back window to see how it felt. We bought that house and kept the kids too.

I do have to say that names are an individual preference but some people really should think long and hard before they choose one. Some of the poor babies in Hollywood are never going to forgive their parents. What are these people thinking? And how did you come up with the names for the kids in the book Dot? They were very "different". :smileyvery-happy:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: kids names

Wrighty wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Linda,

That's so funny that you said that! When we were trying to decide on names for our kids we would say the whole name, parts of the name, the initials, the name along with the rest of the family's names - everything we could think of! We didn't want to regret it later. And when we were buying our first home my husband had to shout our kids' (that we had so far) names and our pets' names out the back window to see how it felt. We bought that house and kept the kids too.

I do have to say that names are an individual preference but some people really should think long and hard before they choose one. Some of the poor babies in Hollywood are never going to forgive their parents. What are these people thinking? And how did you come up with the names for the kids in the book Dot? They were very "different". :smileyvery-happy:

one of my friends when i was in my 20s loved cheeses, toooo much actually. We were cutting up some colby cheese one day for me to make some homemade chili rellenos and she said, Colby would be a really nice boys name. And it would actually but I thought about her and about this and said, debbie, its our cheese! If you name your kid Colby, the next one will be Cheddar! DONT DO THIS lol and name your pets cheeses before you ever get pregnant! She did name her cats after cheeses LOL, three of them, Colby, Chedder and Mozzerella! I later told one of her son's, you have me to thank that your name is Bryan, you would have been Cheddar! lolol. Also where I worked there was a woman in her early 30s elated that they were going to have another baby, it was a boy and they were going over names, she loved Brandon, again, a good name. She talked about it for a week, then one day she was sitting at her desk in tears. We thought it was her hormones because she was pregnant lol but 3 of us went over and asked her what was wrong. She cried and said, we cant name our son Brandon! At first we were worried, then thought, maybe its a girl after all, but we all said, why, whats wrong? She said I just wrote out his name and we just cant! She said would you think about it? We are still like HUH?? Then we looked at the paper and started cracking up so hard, she was trying to punch us! Her last name was Irons, good old Mrs Irons. And she was right, her son's name would have been Brandon Irons! ROFL!! true story, i swear! :smileyvery-happy:
Hey Dot! there's a name for one of your characters, Brandon Irons lol lol! Make him 'as strong and rugged as his name" lol or "nothing nearly as strong and rugged as his name would suggest" LOL.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Linda,

Now, Stephanie: You have hit the solution up side the head and back. This is the way to assure that the name fits. Yeah! Couldn't get any better!
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Linda,

Steph and All--

I don't have kids but I have cats and I have a rule about naming my cats--their name has to have 2 syllables. For some reason it makes more sense when I call them for their name to be 2 syllables. Yes, I know, I'm weird! LOL!

Later--

Mair
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Brandon Irons

Listen, I took enough grief for Harrison Ford. But if i ever write a bodice burster, Brandon is the man!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: CHAPTER 10 CHARLIE AND PRISCILLA

CAT72 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
I think when my children are grown I'm going to reread this book - and take notes on Miriam's conversations with Charlie. I do not want to be the "disapproving mother" and I know I have a strong personality, so I'll have to watch myself!

I wish my mother were reading this....

I wish my MOTHER-IN-LAW was reading this/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smileyhappy:

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Brandon Irons

dotfrank wrote:
Listen, I took enough grief for Harrison Ford. But if i ever write a bodice burster, Brandon is the man!

bodice burster! LOL! I like that lol. I will look for Brandon if you do lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

vivico1 wrote:
one of my friends when i was in my 20s loved cheeses, toooo much actually. We were cutting up some colby cheese one day for me to make some homemade chili rellenos and she said, Colby would be a really nice boys name. And it would actually but I thought about her and about this and said, debbie, its our cheese! If you name your kid Colby, the next one will be Cheddar! DONT DO THIS lol and name your pets cheeses before you ever get pregnant! She did name her cats after cheeses LOL, three of them, Colby, Chedder and Mozzerella! I later told one of her son's, you have me to thank that your name is Bryan, you would have been Cheddar! lolol.

Her kids could have been Gouda, Provalone and Monteray Jack! :smileywink: Colby sounds pretty good compared to those.

Message Edited by Wrighty on 07-28-2007 03:58 PM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
one of my friends when i was in my 20s loved cheeses, toooo much actually. We were cutting up some colby cheese one day for me to make some homemade chili rellenos and she said, Colby would be a really nice boys name. And it would actually but I thought about her and about this and said, debbie, its our cheese! If you name your kid Colby, the next one will be Cheddar! DONT DO THIS lol and name your pets cheeses before you ever get pregnant! She did name her cats after cheeses LOL, three of them, Colby, Chedder and Mozzerella! I later told one of her son's, you have me to thank that your name is Bryan, you would have been Cheddar! lolol.

Her kids could have been Gouda, Provalone and Monteray Jack! :smileywink: Colby sounds pretty good compared to those.

sounds like a bad joke about two Italians and a Canadian lumberjack Wrighty. lolol :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Dot and Her Kids

mairwill wrote:
All--

Let's just hope all mothers who read Dot's book remembers Miriam when she starts telling her adult kids what they should do! Unless they ask of course.

It was nice that Miriam made that concerted effort to change her relationships with her kids and they all were so much happier for it. A Dr. Phil moment if I ever saw one!

I remember one time about 10 years ago my mother was going on and on about what I should do about something or other. I just stood there politely nodding my head. She stopped and said, "You're going to do what you want to do, aren't you?" I said, "Yes."

My mother though was a wise woman. She would not saw anything negative about my husband even when we were going through a particularly bad time. She told me that she would not because then I would remember whatever negative thing she had said about him.

Later--

Mair

My mother said basically the same thing. Don't come and tell me your troubles with your husband. You'll make up, and I will end up hating him. It's hard to be friendly with someone you know whose made your daughter sad. LOL I took her advise, married 28 years. But my sister ... geez! What a disaster! :smileywink:
Users Online
Currently online:15 members 275 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: