Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Community Room

This section is for any type of conversation that doesn't relate directly to the novel. Reply to this thread to begin your discussion.
Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - Stephanie

[ Edited ]
Hi, Stephanie,
I remembered what day it is,today! I made you a little something....no calories involved, that's a good thing, but there was this bad thing... the good thing is the no calories; the bad thing is, I couldn't send it! :smileysad: It had to be eaten at the Post Office.

I guess you guessed what it was, right? Yeah, a cake. Well, when I took it to the Post Office, they told me we would have to eat it there, it couldn't be sent through the mail....something to do with volatile explosives, or internal combustions, or too heavy for the airplane...or something like that, I can't remember, but anyway, I'm sorry about the cake, just know the thought was there, plus a little acid indigestion, which I would have gladly shared with you, too. At least is was good while it went down, and down, and down. The Post Master really enjoyed it too, he just kept eating and eating! He said it was the best he'd ever eaten...Angel Food!

Oh, that reminds me, the other bad thing. Did I forget to mention that? Emma and Evan were helping me make it, they were so excited! But in their excitement, Evan caught his elbow [accidentally, of course], on his bottle of Mr.Bubbles, which was sitting next to the mixing bowl....well, I can't tell you how devastated he was, as it fell into the batter, but I didn't think it hurt the taste one bit!....except for the little matter of the Post Master having an accident, too.

His face turned all shades of red...The kids couldn't figure out what was going on, as he grabbed himself and tore out of the office, just before he soiled his pants! Whew! Needless to say, we turned tail and got the heck out of there, fast....I luckily didn't eat much, so I was able to make it home in time. The kids had cookies before we left. They had something to be thankful for, you can be sure! Anyway, have a Happy Birthday, and remember, it's the thought that counts!
:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-08-2007 10:38 PM
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - Stephanie



KathyS wrote:
Hi, Stephanie,
I remembered what day it is,today! I made you a little something....no calories involved, that's a good thing, but there was this bad thing... the good thing is the no calories; the bad thing is, I couldn't send it! :smileysad: It had to be eaten at the Post Office.

I guess you guessed what it was, right? Yeah, a cake. Well, when I took it to the Post Office, they told me we would have to eat it there, it couldn't be sent through the mail....something to do with volatile explosives, or internal combustions, or too heavy for the airplane...or something like that, I can't remember, but anyway, I'm sorry about the cake, just know the thought was there, plus a little acid indigestion, which I would have gladly shared with you, too. At least is was good while it went down, and down, and down. The Post Master really enjoyed it too, he just kept eating and eating! He said it was the best he'd ever eaten...Angel Food!

Oh, that reminds me, the other bad thing. Did I forget to mention that? Emma and Evan were helping me make it, they were so excited! But in their excitement, Evan caught his elbow [accidentally, of course], on his bottle of Mr.Bubbles, which was sitting next to the mixing bowl....well, I can't tell you how devastated he was, as it fell into the batter, but I didn't think it hurt the taste one bit!....except for the little matter of the Post Master having an accident, too.

His face turned all shades of red...The kids couldn't figure out what was going on, as he grabbed himself and tore out of the office, just before he soiled his pants! Whew! Needless to say, we turned tail and got the heck out of there, fast....I luckily didn't eat much, so I was able to make it home in time. The kids had cookies before we left. They had something to be thankful for, you can be sure! Anyway, have a Happy Birthday, and remember, it's the thought that counts!
:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-08-2007 10:38 PM




KathyS, you are too funny! lol.
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room



Stephanie wrote:
This section is for any type of conversation that doesn't relate directly to the novel. Reply to this thread to begin your discussion.





Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day!I am so glad KathyS, remembered your birthday, so I would. hehehe
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - Linda

[ Edited ]
Hey, Linda, good seeing you again!
Stay well!
Kathy S.

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-09-2007 06:24 AM
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - Stephanie


KathyS wrote:
Hi, Stephanie,
I remembered what day it is,today! I made you a little something....no calories involved, that's a good thing, but there was this bad thing... the good thing is the no calories; the bad thing is, I couldn't send it! :smileysad: It had to be eaten at the Post Office.

I guess you guessed what it was, right? Yeah, a cake. Well, when I took it to the Post Office, they told me we would have to eat it there, it couldn't be sent through the mail....something to do with volatile explosives, or internal combustions, or too heavy for the airplane...or something like that, I can't remember, but anyway, I'm sorry about the cake, just know the thought was there, plus a little acid indigestion, which I would have gladly shared with you, too. At least is was good while it went down, and down, and down. The Post Master really enjoyed it too, he just kept eating and eating! He said it was the best he'd ever eaten...Angel Food!

Oh, that reminds me, the other bad thing. Did I forget to mention that? Emma and Evan were helping me make it, they were so excited! But in their excitement, Evan caught his elbow [accidentally, of course], on his bottle of Mr.Bubbles, which was sitting next to the mixing bowl....well, I can't tell you how devastated he was, as it fell into the batter, but I didn't think it hurt the taste one bit!....except for the little matter of the Post Master having an accident, too.

His face turned all shades of red...The kids couldn't figure out what was going on, as he grabbed himself and tore out of the office, just before he soiled his pants! Whew! Needless to say, we turned tail and got the heck out of there, fast....I luckily didn't eat much, so I was able to make it home in time. The kids had cookies before we left. They had something to be thankful for, you can be sure! Anyway, have a Happy Birthday, and remember, it's the thought that counts!
:smileyhappy:

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-08-2007 10:38 PM


OK, your kidding about the whole cake thing right? As a birthday joke with stephanie? I mean you didnt really try to MAIL her a cake right? and please tell me you didnt really have anyone eat a cake with mr bubble in it?! It's just a fun joke between you and Steph right? If not, may I call you Miriam for this club ROFL!!! Holy crap.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - Stephanie

Okay Kathy - I'm jealous. You didn't send me one on my birthday!!! :smileyvery-happy:

And Steph - Happy, happy birthday!!!

I'm toasting you with a mango margarita!!! Sending a pitcher full your way as well. Don't worry Kathy, I'm send some to you too - it will definitely relieve the parchness! ;D

So Stephanie:

Happy Birthday to You!!!


  _|_|_|_|_
(________)
(________)


P.S. - That's a birthday cake!!! :smileyvery-happy:
Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Author
dotfrank
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎06-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - Stephanie



LizzieAnn wrote:
Okay Kathy - I'm jealous. You didn't send me one on my birthday!!! :smileyvery-happy:

And Steph - Happy, happy birthday!!!

I'm toasting you with a mango margarita!!! Sending a pitcher full your way as well. Don't worry Kathy, I'm send some to you too - it will definitely relieve the parchness! ;D

So Stephanie:

Happy Birthday to You!!!


  _|_|_|_|_
(________)
(________)


P.S. - That's a birthday cake!!! :smileyvery-happy:





Miss Lizzie Ann? That cake is about the cutest thing I have ever seen! And Stephanie? Happy Birthday, girl! Next time I see you the mango cocktail is on me! xx Dot


Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.


Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - Stephanie

Thanks to all of you! Kathy, I was hoping you'd forget! But I knew you wouldn't. :smileyhappy:

And, by the way, it is (or it was, before 9/11) possible to mail a cake. Or at least, UPS it. I've done it. Dry ice is the key. Sans bubbles.


As to the Mango Margarita Liz, I thank you, and Dot, I'll be looking forward to the next one! Oddly coincidental, I had one at lunch today! T'was lovely.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - Stephanie


Stephanie wrote:
Thanks to all of you! Kathy, I was hoping you'd forget! But I knew you wouldn't. :smileyhappy:

And, by the way, it is (or it was, before 9/11) possible to mail a cake. Or at least, UPS it. I've done it. Dry ice is the key. Sans bubbles.


As to the Mango Margarita Liz, I thank you, and Dot, I'll be looking forward to the next one! Oddly coincidental, I had one at lunch today! T'was lovely.


yeah before 9/11 you could mail a lot that you cant now. We used to send ice cream to a couple who had stayed out here in oklahoma for a year and got hooked on Brahms ice cream that is made here and evidently you cant get in Utah LOL. It cost an arm and a leg to send it UPS with dry ice but for a while they did it. Now they just have to come here for it lol. I am sure snail mail or cakes or even maguaritas or not, everyone of us in here wish you a happy birthday steph. Tho cake and maguaritas wouldnt be bad huh LOL.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - Stephanie

Is that a hint, Stephanie? You still want the cake....X the bubbles? It was such a special cake, too, but I'm sure the kids would love to make you another one! I'll just try to pick out the shells this time :smileyvery-happy:
Kathy

Stephanie wrote:
Thanks to all of you! Kathy, I was hoping you'd forget! But I knew you wouldn't. :smileyhappy:

And, by the way, it is (or it was, before 9/11) possible to mail a cake. Or at least, UPS it. I've done it. Dry ice is the key. Sans bubbles.


As to the Mango Margarita Liz, I thank you, and Dot, I'll be looking forward to the next one! Oddly coincidental, I had one at lunch today! T'was lovely.


Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - bowling tournaments

Host Cities
2012 - Reno
2011 - Syracuse, NY
2010 - El Paso, TX
2009 - Reno
2008 - Detroit
2007 - Charlotte
2006 - Reno
2005 - Tulsa, OK
2004 - Wichita, KS

Viv ... here's the bowling tournaments for the next several years. Hope I can hit them all. :smileywink:
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - bowling tournaments



cindersue wrote:
Host Cities
2012 - Reno
2011 - Syracuse, NY
2010 - El Paso, TX
2009 - Reno
2008 - Detroit
2007 - Charlotte
2006 - Reno
2005 - Tulsa, OK
2004 - Wichita, KS

Viv ... here's the bowling tournaments for the next several years. Hope I can hit them all. :smileywink:




So you are a bowling champion huh? Wow!
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - bowling tournaments


kiakar wrote:


cindersue wrote:
Host Cities
2012 - Reno
2011 - Syracuse, NY
2010 - El Paso, TX
2009 - Reno
2008 - Detroit
2007 - Charlotte
2006 - Reno
2005 - Tulsa, OK
2004 - Wichita, KS

Viv ... here's the bowling tournaments for the next several years. Hope I can hit them all. :smileywink:




So you are a bowling champion huh? Wow!


LOL :smileyvery-happy: Sounds impressive, doesn't it. But you should see my golf game ... yuk! :smileyindifferent: I started going with the Witchita tournament. I'm asked to go because of my handicap. LOL Me and my partner ... we have fun. Good food, good drinks, good laughs, good travels! :smileywink:
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - bowling tournaments



cindersue wrote:

kiakar wrote:


cindersue wrote:
Host Cities
2012 - Reno
2011 - Syracuse, NY
2010 - El Paso, TX
2009 - Reno
2008 - Detroit
2007 - Charlotte
2006 - Reno
2005 - Tulsa, OK
2004 - Wichita, KS

Viv ... here's the bowling tournaments for the next several years. Hope I can hit them all. :smileywink:




So you are a bowling champion huh? Wow!


LOL :smileyvery-happy: Sounds impressive, doesn't it. But you should see my golf game ... yuk! :smileyindifferent: I started going with the Witchita tournament. I'm asked to go because of my handicap. LOL Me and my partner ... we have fun. Good food, good drinks, good laughs, good travels! :smileywink:





Sounds wonderful!
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - bowling tournaments

[ Edited ]

kiakar wrote:


cindersue wrote:

kiakar wrote:


cindersue wrote:
Host Cities
2012 - Reno
2011 - Syracuse, NY
2010 - El Paso, TX
2009 - Reno
2008 - Detroit
2007 - Charlotte
2006 - Reno
2005 - Tulsa, OK
2004 - Wichita, KS

Viv ... here's the bowling tournaments for the next several years. Hope I can hit them all. :smileywink:




So you are a bowling champion huh? Wow!


LOL :smileyvery-happy: Sounds impressive, doesn't it. But you should see my golf game ... yuk! :smileyindifferent: I started going with the Witchita tournament. I'm asked to go because of my handicap. LOL Me and my partner ... we have fun. Good food, good drinks, good laughs, good travels! :smileywink:





Sounds wonderful!


lets go watch her bowl Kiakar lol :smileywink:

Where did my first post to your schedule go Cindersue saying your going the wrong ways lol, where are the midwest ones that an agoraphobic with vertigo and cant fly can go to lol. hmmm, now watch both pop up lol

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-09-2007 10:22 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - bowling tournaments



lets go watch her bowl Kiakar lol :smileywink:

Where did my first post to your schedule go Cindersue saying your going the wrong ways lol, where are the midwest ones that an agoraphobic with vertigo and cant fly can go to lol. hmmm, now watch both pop up lol

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-09-2007 10:22 PM


hun?
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room - bowling tournaments


cindersue wrote:


lets go watch her bowl Kiakar lol :smileywink:

Where did my first post to your schedule go Cindersue saying your going the wrong ways lol, where are the midwest ones that an agoraphobic with vertigo and cant fly can go to lol. hmmm, now watch both pop up lol

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-09-2007 10:22 PM


hun?


hun? what hun? lol, i was saying I answered this one before I said anything to kiakar thats not showing saying you are going about a thousand miles the wrong ways in the future! Where are the midwest ones since 2005 lol or one that an agoraphobic with vertigo who cant fly can get to.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Dot--Greece?

Dot--

Had you been to Greece before? What area did you go to? Did you like it? Have you gotten your bags yet?

We went last year to Nafplion on the Peloponnese Peninsula (beautiful area and town)and to Athens. It was too early for most of the resorts to be open on the islands.

Man, they got some old stuff over there! It really is amazing to think about and see.

Later--

Mair
Author
dotfrank
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎06-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Dot--Greece?



mairwill wrote:
Dot--

Had you been to Greece before? What area did you go to? Did you like it? Have you gotten your bags yet?

We went last year to Nafplion on the Peloponnese Peninsula (beautiful area and town)and to Athens. It was too early for most of the resorts to be open on the islands.

Man, they got some old stuff over there! It really is amazing to think about and see.

Later--

Mair




Yep, I have been to Greece before - about 15 years ago. Now that my son, Will is a history major and has a love of all things historic we thought a trip to Greece might be good for him and it was fabulous. So off the 4 of us went and stayed on Mykonos most of the time, side tripping to Delos and other islands to see the rubble. We had a marvy time but my bag is still MIA. When my bag gets here and hopefully that will be today, and I get the charger for my camera i can download and upload some pics. Greece may find its way into a book.


Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.


Users Online
Currently online: 64 members 323 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: