Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: missed posts and the weekend

Okay - here's my weekend. I made Moussaka. I went to Greece, came home and have to make Greek food to extend the vacation aura. The next time someone sees me say or hears me say I am making Moussaka I want you to slap my head. It took the ENTIRE weekend!!!! First you make the meat sauce, the you fry the potatoes, then you bake the eggplant, then you saute the peppers, then you make the bechemal, then you grate the parmesan . . . THERE ARE GREEEK DINERS ALL OVER NJ!!!!! What was I thinking?????? PS They found my luggage and threw it in my driveway. No phone call, email notification or anything. Unbelievably, it was intact and nothing was missing! Still, I would never fly British Air again even if they gave me a ticket!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Enjoy, Kiakar!

kiakar wrote:
Hey you three; I will let you know I am not being a snob or do I have a rowdy social life, but my daughter and her two sons have been here from Martinsburg West Va. and I haven't posted much at all. We have been on the go. They will be gone Tuesday so I will be back to the every minute poster then . But do not think I will win the poster contest. ha. Its maybe already won!

Hey Kiakar!
As much as you are missed we will still be here after Tuesday. Enjoy your limited time with your children and make that your priority. This book certainly illustrates the importance of family and friends. Their visit will be over before you know it and you will be back to reality. We'll all be waiting right here for you!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
Okay - here's my weekend. I made Moussaka. I went to Greece, came home and have to make Greek food to extend the vacation aura. The next time someone sees me say or hears me say I am making Moussaka I want you to slap my head. It took the ENTIRE weekend!!!! First you make the meat sauce, the you fry the potatoes, then you bake the eggplant, then you saute the peppers, then you make the bechemal, then you grate the parmesan . . . THERE ARE GREEEK DINERS ALL OVER NJ!!!!! What was I thinking?????? PS They found my luggage and threw it in my driveway. No phone call, email notification or anything. Unbelievably, it was intact and nothing was missing! Still, I would never fly British Air again even if they gave me a ticket!

Dot, I sure hope that receipe is good cause it sounds like alot of work making.And of that food. wow! But youwill have to give us the receipt eto it.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Enjoy, Kiakar!

Wrighty wrote:

kiakar wrote:
Hey you three; I will let you know I am not being a snob or do I have a rowdy social life, but my daughter and her two sons have been here from Martinsburg West Va. and I haven't posted much at all. We have been on the go. They will be gone Tuesday so I will be back to the every minute poster then . But do not think I will win the poster contest. ha. Its maybe already won!

Hey Kiakar!
As much as you are missed we will still be here after Tuesday. Enjoy your limited time with your children and make that your priority. This book certainly illustrates the importance of family and friends. Their visit will be over before you know it and you will be back to reality. We'll all be waiting right here for you!

So true wrighty and hey linda, we couln't think you a snob lol, no, its more that nothing happens much in the bookclubs in general on weekends because of family things, thats all.But there are a few of us that get on here and look lol, and post just to post I guess, I think i did lol. I have found most bookclubs in here on weekends are slow and thats why. Glad you got some family time and Dot, I hope that all day meal was for a group with all that work put into it! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: missed luggage! and the weekend!

What were you thinking? At least you can say you actually made the stuff..., you know? For future adventures in *novel cooking*....was it tasty?...Did you bring the recipe home with you, or did you glean it from Betty?

Missing luggage! Thank goodness you finally got it back, but what a way to receive it...HOW RUDE!!...awwhh...fond memories of my one and only trip to Europe....the only good thing was, the clothes were dirty, and all the wonderful treasures I bought never made it through customs....it just went from one airline to another, and another....my hands were clean!
Glad you're not plugging British Air!

Kathy S.

dotfrank wrote:
Okay - here's my weekend. I made Moussaka. I went to Greece, came home and have to make Greek food to extend the vacation aura. The next time someone sees me say or hears me say I am making Moussaka I want you to slap my head. It took the ENTIRE weekend!!!! First you make the meat sauce, the you fry the potatoes, then you bake the eggplant, then you sauté the peppers, then you make the béchamel, then you grate the parmesan . . . THERE ARE GREEEK DINERS ALL OVER NJ!!!!! What was I thinking?????? PS They found my luggage and threw it in my driveway. No phone call, email notification or anything. Unbelievably, it was intact and nothing was missing! Still, I would never fly British Air again even if they gave me a ticket!

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

It may just be Newark airport. We've had a few unpleasant experiences there. Jo
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
Okay - here's my weekend. I made Moussaka. ....

I love Moussaka! I've made it before, and yes, it takes forever. I have a couple of favorite Greek restaurants in the Chgo. area that I like to visit. Did you have Pastittio? (sp) Carne, skilos, Raki in Greece? I had all those, except skilos (sp) That's dog! LOL
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

I'm only on Chapter 6, Linda. So don't worry, you have time to catch up. :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
I'm only on Chapter 6, Linda. So don't worry, you have time to catch up. :smileywink:

Cindersue, this is your slowest read I do believe :smileywink: but hope you had a wonderful time this weekend :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

The moussaka was wonderful but I don't think it was worth it. We came in through Kennedy and it's not better than Newark. The only plus about Newark is that it's closer.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Dot,

I've made it before too, and you're right, it's a real time-sucker. I hope you made enough to freeze some for next time- then it'll feel like it was worth it.

Glad you got your bags back... unbelievable though. Guess they figured you live in a pretty safe neighborhood? No rain in the forecast? :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Hey; I finally did catch up and then I caught on and on.... The other night I couldn't sleep so I read the rest of the book. So I am all done. With all your activity I know its hard for you. Just keep reading and reading.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

cindersue wrote:

Hey; I finally did catch up and then I caught on and on.... The other night I couldn't sleep so I read the rest of the book. So I am all done. With all your activity I know its hard for you. Just keep reading and reading.

Trying to catch cindersue between activities, is sometimes like trying to run between raindrops! lol :smileywink:
Vivian
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

I've made it before too, and you're right, it's a real time-sucker. I hope you made enough to freeze some for next time- then it'll feel like it was worth it.

Glad you got your bags back... unbelievable though. Guess they figured you live in a pretty safe neighborhood? No rain in the forecast? :smileyhappy:

Right?

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

cindersue wrote:

Trying to catch cindersue between activities, is sometimes like trying to run between raindrops! lol :smileywink:

yea; she is always busy I see!
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

cindersue wrote:

Okay, so I'm now on chapter 7! I fell asleep last night, not because of boredom, because I was exhausted! :smileysad: I love the sun, enjoyed camping, the bonfire and the beach, but it caught up with me last night. Wish I was on Sullivan Island ... I'd love that! Do Mango Margarita's help to keep you awake? I should try them while reading. :smileywink:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

margaritas

cindersue wrote:
Okay, so I'm now on chapter 7! I fell asleep last night, not because of boredom, because I was exhausted! :smileysad: I love the sun, enjoyed camping, the bonfire and the beach, but it caught up with me last night. Wish I was on Sullivan Island ... I'd love that! Do Mango Margarita's help to keep you awake? I should try them while reading. :smileywink:

I don't think it works that way with the margaritas Cindy. :smileyindifferent: They might keep you up later on if you have enough of them, but you won't feel like reading! :smileysurprised:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

kiakar wrote:

cindersue wrote:

hey CinderSue; They don't make you sleepy, at least not me, anyway. I drink a mango margarita last night plus a regular lime one and I was ready for more; more marqarita of course. ha! My daughter made some. We had a cookout with some family over. I made it thru the whole party. ha. But darn good! You better try one. She had some strawberry ones too but my favorite was mango! Great! Happy Camping to you!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: margaritas

Wrighty, you might be right about the reading; Sullivan's island might come out sideways and backwards and all kinds of ways, reading while drinking a couple of marqaritas.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Army Wives down south

[ Edited ]
Have any of you seen that new show on the Lifetime channel called Army Wives? One of the stars of the show was on TV this morning talking about it and she said they film the show in South Carolina. The last episode will be filmed in Charleston. I didn't know that until she mentioned it and I just thought it was neat since that was a location that we've talked about. Has anyone ever seen a taping of any show any place? I think that would be so neat to see. It's never the way you think it is.

Message Edited by Wrighty on 07-17-2007 03:06 PM
Users Online
Currently online: 10 members 327 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: