Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: margaritas

I don't think it works that way with the margaritas Cindy. :smileyindifferent: They might keep you up later on if you have enough of them, but you won't feel like reading! :smileysurprised:

ROFL Wrighty! :smileyvery-happy: I better not try sipping and reading then. :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Mango, Kiakar!

Kiakar ... we had a cookout with some family over. I made it thru the whole party. ha. But darn good! You better try one. She had some strawberry ones too but my favorite was mango! Great! Happy Camping to you!

Did you post the mango recipe? I need to go back and write all these down. I love margaritas ... or is it I love to drink, and the margaritas are always good! :smileywink: hehehe
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: margaritas

cindersue wrote:
I don't think it works that way with the margaritas Cindy. :smileyindifferent: They might keep you up later on if you have enough of them, but you won't feel like reading! :smileysurprised:

ROFL Wrighty! :smileyvery-happy: I better not try sipping and reading then. :smileywink:

"Sipping," huh? :smileywink:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
Kiakar ... we had a cookout with some family over. I made it thru the whole party. ha. But darn good! You better try one. She had some strawberry ones too but my favorite was mango! Great! Happy Camping to you!

Did you post the mango recipe? I need to go back and write all these down. I love margaritas ... or is it I love to drink, and the margaritas are always good! :smileywink: hehehe

It was some kind of mix she used; I will try and get the name of it. She put that and ice and water in a blender. I will get the directions also.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Kiakar ... It was some kind of mix she used; I will try and get the name of it. She put that and ice and water in a blender. I will get the directions also.

Those are the best kind. :smileywink:
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

It was from Williams Sonoma and it was AWFUL!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Charleston

Since Charleston is part of the Low Country, I thought that you might be interested in this. Especially since Dot has introduced us to Charleston in her books.

The Today Show began a series on the 10 Most Beautiful Places in America last week. Every Thursday they're profiling a spot, beginning with #10 last week - Niagara Falls right by me. This week was #9 - Charleston. It looks absolutely gorgeous and the food looks amazing!
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Charleston

Thursday? Today? I thought Dot said, Friday, tomorrow! That means I've missed it?

K.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Since Charleston is part of the Low Country, I thought that you might be interested in this. Especially since Dot has introduced us to Charleston in her books.

The Today Show began a series on the 10 Most Beautiful Places in America last week. Every Thursday they're profiling a spot, beginning with #10 last week - Niagara Falls right by me. This week was #9 - Charleston. It looks absolutely gorgeous and the food looks amazing!

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Tomorrow is the EARLY SHOW on CBS with Hootie and the BLowfish! Looks like NBC is stalking CBS! LEt's all try to watch the Early show and check back with each other!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Charleston - CBS - Friday 20th - Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Thank you :smileyhappy:
K.

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-19-2007 04:20 PM
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
Tomorrow is the EARLY SHOW on CBS with Hootie and the BLowfish! Looks like NBC is stalking CBS! LEt's all try to watch the Early show and check back with each other!

So, is tomorrow today, Friday? I wasn't on for a few days. How early is early? Like 9 a.m. is early for me. LOL Rats ... would have liked to see that. Have a good day :smileywink:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

Did everyone miss it? I am afraid I did too!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

weekends and near ends

Well, we are heading for another weekend when the clubs come to a slow crawl...or screeching halt LOL. Then just two more days after of the club, so I guess people are winding things up in here. The clubs seem to break up the last week, ever notice that? Some of us in the clubs have talked about that before.

***** SPOILER TO EPILOGUE********
Dot, I love the ending of your book. I love how everything came together and that Harrison and Mellie finally did too. I would love to think of them growing old there together, madly in love till the day they die.:smileywink: When my friend and I saw that movie two weeks ago, Evening, and had our talk, she doesnt believe people stay madly in love till they are old. I said some do. I have known older couples who have been married 50 years who were and I just fell in love with them and how they still flirted with each other in front of people too. I said, like in Golden Pond, thats how I would love to be in my old age, with someone I was madly in love with. She said they werent MADLY in love, they fell into a comfortable love by then. I said your wrong, they were madly in love, still. And like Katherine H. said on the porch to Henry F. when she thought he was dying...and he talked about how frightened he had been on that path when he got lost picking berries..she said, but you are my love, you are still my knight in shining armor! I said, they were still madly in love! I said, I am not talking about how many times can you do it and how many places in one day stuff! I am talking about being madly in love lol. She said, ok, so maybe you can be, but if I think about that versus just trying to be comfortable with my husband when I am old, then I will think about all the things I missed and i dont want to. I said, fair enough. I understand what you are saying.

That was the tail end of our conversation about the question the two older women asked each other, are you happy? And all each could say was, at times. Well I want to believe that Mellie is growing old madly in love, with Harrison, with her family, with her life! And that yes, ever time she touches him, that there still isnt "a single hair on his body" that she doesnt still know and adore! The line she almost hears her mother whispering in her ear out on the rocker," My darling girl, she would say, bringing your family together to love each other is all that matters", that a wonderful thought. And the phrase...my darling daughter gets me in the chest. A simple phrase but says such immense things. When we talked about mannners and like strangers calling you darling or such, I dont like people just calling you that when it means nothing, more like darlin' than what darling invokes and its not something I ever heard from my mother but i will tell you this, the one person in my adult life that called me "my darling" and meant it, melted my heart everytime and nearly brought me to tears everytime, it so took my breath away.

Its nice to read a book where you can sit back and take a deep sigh and be happy for all the characters. Also to have one last laugh at Harry's "announcement at dinner" that Mellie wasnt going to be dessert LOL, tho she was :smileywink:.

I just wanted to get those few thoughts in, in case people kind of shut down now in these last few days. Wonderful book and yeah, a great coming of age book for any age. Thanks for the adventure Dot. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room/ Good thought for women

If you have heard this before, I am sure you will still get a kick out of it and since its just us girls here (I think) lets share a thought about our next life:

GONNA BE A BEAR
In this life I am a woman. In my next life, I'd like to come back as a bear. When you're a bear, you get to hibernate. You do nothing but sleep for six months. I could deal with that.

Before you hibernate, you're supposed to eat yourself stupid. I could deal with that too.

When your a girl bear, you birth your children (who are the size of walnuts) while you are sleeping and wake to partially grown, cute, cuddly cubs. I could definately deal with that!

If you're a mama bear, everyone knows you mean business. You swat anyone who bothers your cubs. If your cubs get out of line, you swat them too. I could deal with that.

If you're a bear, your mate EXPECTS you to wake up growling! He EXPECTS that you will have hairy legs and excess body fat! I KNOW I could deal with that!

Yup, gonna be a bear!

Here's a mango Margarita toast, to all the women who find themselves in this life and find they love who they are and here's to our next life as a bear anyway. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room/ Good thought for women

Sounds good to me! It validates everything I already do! LOL! Jo
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Shameless Plug

Ok, I have a small favor to ask of each of you. If you liked THE LAND OF MANGO SUNSETS would you be so kind to go to the page for it at B&N.com and leave a nice review? And at other sites if you have the time. People who come to these book clubs are almost always extremely nice women who love books. Some people who leave reviews online at Amazon or B&N I think are frustrated writers or wives of men I used to know. Or who knows? Anyway, because they can be anonymous they say some really lousy things. A good revivew can sure help sell books and a bad one can hurt.

I will be around this weekend and online at least twice a day so if you are bored or can think of anything you might like to ask about writing, the Lowcountry or anything that's on your mind, please leave me a post. I have loved being with all of you and I think my August is going to be pretty dull!

Many thanks!

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Shameless Plug

dotfrank wrote:
Ok, I have a small favor to ask of each of you. If you liked THE LAND OF MANGO SUNSETS would you be so kind to go to the page for it at B&N.com and leave a nice review? And at other sites if you have the time. People who come to these book clubs are almost always extremely nice women who love books. Some people who leave reviews online at Amazon or B&N I think are frustrated writers or wives of men I used to know. Or who knows? Anyway, because they can be anonymous they say some really lousy things. A good revivew can sure help sell books and a bad one can hurt.

I will be around this weekend and online at least twice a day so if you are bored or can think of anything you might like to ask about writing, the Lowcountry or anything that's on your mind, please leave me a post. I have loved being with all of you and I think my August is going to be pretty dull!

Many thanks!

I think we could do that! And yeah, I know frustrated writers can be a pain to you authors. I saw that happen even in these clubs awhile back by a wannabe writer. :smileysurprised: But we can definitely give you a thumbs up on here.

Hey,if your going to be bored in August, we can come see ya LOL. *Dot breaks out in a sweat at the thought* :smileywink: You know, money may not make you happy, but it sure helps you do the things that would!
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room/personal history in South Carolina

Hey Dot, I was working on some genealogy today, checking where I needed to keep searching back and happened to notice that I have three main lines of ancestors who came from South Carolina in the early 1800s. I think thats where they lived when they came across the pond but am stumped at those names right there in SC. Anyway, just thought it was interesting, given reading this book right now and talking to you all who are from there or the area. The names in my family that I find there the most are, Fickling, Tackett and Harrell. Lancaster Tackett was born in Charleston, SC in 1745. There is a note here about St Philips in the birth place, but I dont know if thats a church where he was maybe christened or something. Got any idea what St Philips in Charleston might refer to? Lancaster Tackett, man that sounds like a plantation owner's name LOL. A tall man, who wore polished riding boots always! lol, I dont know about that, I dont have that in my genealogy about him, just an image all the sudden when I think about his name lol.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room/personal history in South Carolina/follow up

[ Edited ]
I just did a search about St Philip,Charleston, SC and found one reference to a part of town but mostly that yes it was a church there dating back to the 1600s. WOW, it sure has a history, and a history of disasters too! Fires,hurricanes, deaths, a major earthquake in 1886, tornadoes. This place was built and rebuilt. If anyone is interested in just a bit of history check this out:
http://www.stphilipschurchsc.org/spce/history

and if that wasn't enough, I found a St Philips cemetary there, said to be haunted. Check out this page, under Leaning Tombstone, you can click on it for the whole little ghost story lol.
http://www.askyewolfe.com/HauntedCharlestonSC.html
Down on that page a little more, not highlighted, is St Philip graveyard and a little blip about a ghost of a woman whose baby died and now she haunts the place, frequently attacking pregnant women!

My my my, ya'll do have some colorful history down there! If I knew where to check there or what to do there to further my search in person for my roots in the Tackett, Fickling, Harrell families, I just might have to save up for a couple of years to visit your fair state and find my beloved ancestors. :smileywink: cool stuff actually.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-27-2007 12:38 PM
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Shameless Plug

dotfrank wrote:

Many thanks!

Dot,
I would be so very happy to do that for you and for other readers. That's a good reminder because I mean to do that and don't remember to. I use that information often when I am looking up a new book and I appreciate hearing what others have to say. I also know that these are personal opinions and I take the bad ones with a grain of salt.
Users Online
Currently online:46 members 451 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: