Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Acceptance

sarahsal wrote:
I think we never stop "coming of age." There always seems to be more things to learn, especially about who we are and who we can be. Sarah

So true, Sarah. That says alot about everything about us.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

sarahsal wrote:
I think we never stop "coming of age." There always seems to be more things to learn, especially about who we are and who we can be. Sarah

Sara, so true. As the song goes....
the more I live,
the more I learn,
and the more I learn
the more I realize the less I know.
Kathy S.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

sarahsal wrote:

Thats what I mean Sarah, coming of age stories can be any age, not just the teen growing up genre they pin it to. And dont you think the stories of coming of age that happens when we are older, like in this book are even better than the younger ones :smileyhappy: I think they have more heart we can relate to but also such wonderful humor when adults are finding themselves lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

coming of age

vivico1 wrote:

sarahsal wrote:

Thats what I mean Sarah, coming of age stories can be any age, not just the teen growing up genre they pin it to. And dont you think the stories of coming of age that happens when we are older, like in this book are even better than the younger ones :smileyhappy: I think they have more heart we can relate to but also such wonderful humor when adults are finding themselves lol.

It also seems like there are "coming of age" stories for the different stages of our life. The obvious example is when we are young but we also come of age/learn/ change during or after important events or milestones. As with Miriam (in the book) after her divorce, or after a career change, marriage, when children come and then later leave the nest, losing family or friends, moving, retirement, illnesses and injuries... Some moments don't seem so eventful but I know when I look back on my life there are changes that mark these different stages. Times I have come of age, again. Does that make any sense?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: coming of age

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

sarahsal wrote:

It also seems like there are "coming of age" stories for the different stages of our life. The obvious example is when we are young but we also come of age/learn/ change during or after important events or milestones. As with Miriam (in the book) after her divorce, or after a career change, marriage, when children come and then later leave the nest, losing family or friends, moving, retirement, illnesses and injuries... Some moments don't seem so eventful but I know when I look back on my life there are changes that mark these different stages. Times I have come of age, again. Does that make any sense?

yes it does Wrighty, its all about growing, and being willing to. It can be forced on you as some events are forced on Miriam but its how you grow with it that makes it your coming of age experiences, those who dont grow, dont know.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: coming of age

vivico1 wrote:yes it does Wrighty, its all about growing, and being willing to. It can be forced on you as some events are forced on Miriam but its how you grow with it that makes it your coming of age experiences, those who dont grow, dont know.

Thanks! You helped me explain it better. :smileyhappy:
tll
New User
tll
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: Acceptance

Does she care about other peoples judgement? In truth don't we all. In the beginning that is all that she is focused on. She feels as though belonging to the right group will somehow make her and her life happier. She does everything right (handwritten thank you notes) but the only thing she has accomplished is alienating those that love her the most. She makes you feel so sorry for her because it seems like she wants to fit in so badly. Even when she dislikes the people that she is wanting to accept her. Like Agnes, she speaks mean of her but she goes out of her way to be accepted into the same circle of freinds. So sad.
Contributor
sarahsal
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: Acceptance

tll wrote:
Does she care about other peoples judgement? In truth don't we all. In the beginning that is all that she is focused on. She feels as though belonging to the right group will somehow make her and her life happier. She does everything right (handwritten thank you notes) but the only thing she has accomplished is alienating those that love her the most. She makes you feel so sorry for her because it seems like she wants to fit in so badly. Even when she dislikes the people that she is wanting to accept her. Like Agnes, she speaks mean of her but she goes out of her way to be accepted into the same circle of freinds. So sad.

What is so great with Miriam is that after being stuck for awhile trying to live the same old way...she did allow the people who loved her to prod her into change and growth. Thank goodnes for people who are willing to make themselves vulnerable by telling us the "truth that hurts." Sarah
Users Online
Currently online: 25 members 220 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: