Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

What are your first impressions of The Land of Mango Sunsets? Of Miriam? How about Kevin and Harry?

This section is appropriate for those who have just begun to read. Please be mindful of spoilers.
Stephanie
tll
New User
tll
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

My first impressions of Mariam is that she is a stuffy but lonely woman who tries her best to impress everyone. Kevin seems to be a wonderful and caring friend.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
What are your first impressions of The Land of Mango Sunsets? Of Miriam? How about Kevin and Harry?

This section is appropriate for those who have just begun to read. Please be mindful of spoilers.

Oh! I just love Harry! He is so funny! I would love to have a parrot like Harry!

And I would also love to have a friend like Kevin also. It seems the more I read and have meandered around women who have gay men as friends, I would think they would be so warm and loving as a friend.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Oh! I just love Harry! He is so funny! I would love to have a parrot like Harry!

And I would also love to have a friend like Kevin also. It seems the more I read and have meandered around women who have gay men as friends, I would think they would be so warm and loving as a friend.

The title of this book sounds so romantic, summerish, and delicious. Its the greatest title I have heard in a long time. And I love the story of her parents on the island of Mango sunsets.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Honestly, my first impressions of Miriam were that oh man, here is a snob for sure and a faux socialite! I thought, ok this kind of living and worrying about who sees you trip or what napkin you use or what "important" committee you get on and oh look whose wearing that kind of stuff, just is not in my realm of living and I kinda had the "gag me with a spoon" reaction LOL! First impressions are if this is how this woman is throughout this book, i will gag LOL, but I was assuming, something of real meaning will happen to her maybe. Kevin seems like the perfect friend for a stuck up lonely snob who has "taste" lol. He's right there to gasp with her and gossip with her, but I do like him. Harry is pretty cool, he is great comic relief. I like the writing style, so hanging in to see what happens to Miriam the socialite with not the money to back it up since hubby left, nor the "breeding" LOL. Enjoying the book.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I like Miriam; she is so stuffy but I think some R&R at Sullivan's Island will cure her problems. Kevin is a hoot and Harry is funny even if he's a parrot.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

I was planning on just reading all weekend but that definitely didn't happen! I'm really enjoying the book even if I'm not getting to it as often as I would like. The very first thing that I noticed was the beautiful colors of the cover. They are the perfect blend for sunsets, summer and the beach. I agree that Miriam is a snob who definitely needs some R&R. I love her very proper handwritten notes at the beginning of the chapters - not that there is anything wrong with handwritten notes. Harry cracks me up ( "Charles is a horse's ass" ), Kevin seems very kind hearted and there are some great lines already ( "She sauntered by with her snooty clothes-hanger friends...wrapped to conceal their aging crepe." "I had no intention of ever moving...I was leaving horizontally in a permanent, breathless recline." ) I'm also curious to know if Mrs. Waddlesnotte fits her name. I am definitely a fan! :smileytongue:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
I was planning on just reading all weekend but that definitely didn't happen! I'm really enjoying the book even if I'm not getting to it as often as I would like. The very first thing that I noticed was the beautiful colors of the cover. They are the perfect blend for sunsets, summer and the beach. I agree that Miriam is a snob who definitely needs some R&R. I love her very proper handwritten notes at the beginning of the chapters - not that there is anything wrong with handwritten notes. Harry cracks me up ( "Charles is a horse's ass" ), Kevin seems very kind hearted and there are some great lines already ( "She sauntered by with her snooty clothes-hanger friends...wrapped to conceal their aging crepe." "I had no intention of ever moving...I was leaving horizontally in a permanent, breathless recline." ) I'm also curious to know if Mrs. Waddlesnotte fits her name. I am definitely a fan! :smileytongue:

Hi Wrighty; Wasn't the prologue written so beautifully like the very breath of heaven. I guess in a definite way it is describing heaven. It stands to reason that anyone raised up in this envirnment would definitely believe in heaven. I fantize what heaven will be like and these descriptions fit it well.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Also I feel Miriam like alot of us humans craved recognition from her fellow humans. As she comments on her way to the funeral about wanting to be on the Public Television marathon raising millions for programing. She wants to make a difference and be recognized. She might go about it in not so normal paths but we all search for that peace that we seek hoping its in the realms of helping others. We hope the reality sets in that we have done great things and we can enjoy getting recognition. Going the high society bit was not smart, not in my thinking. But trying to make the soul feel alive after torturous bruises from past abuses of it, sometimes we hit the wrong roads back to reality.
Contributor
Liz1017
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

I LOVED Harry! What a Hoot (pun intended) he was! I loved Kevin though... He reminds me of a friend of mine! He's so caring and warm, yet a delightful kick in the pants that Miriam needed so badly! Miriam was older than her years, it seemed to me. She needed to be young and have fun, because she never really had that. She married right away and began her family and her "social work" and tried so hard to fit in after everything had crumbled around her. Without Kevin's hand to hold and the smile that Harry put on her face, I don't know if she would have made it through...
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

tll wrote:
My first impressions of Mariam is that she is a stuffy but lonely woman who tries her best to impress everyone. Kevin seems to be a wonderful and caring friend.

Poor Miriam! She's so stuffy that she's stuffed! I always wanted to write novels but if that didn't work I considered becoming a taxidermist! And, we all need a Kevin. Dot

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Well, I know this won't come as much of a surprise, but I have a friend named KEvin who bears a strong resemblance in character to a Kevin I wrote about . . .

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Honestly, my first impressions of Miriam were that oh man, here is a snob for sure and a faux socialite! I thought, ok this kind of living and worrying about who sees you trip or what napkin you use or what "important" committee you get on and oh look whose wearing that kind of stuff, just is not in my realm of living and I kinda had the "gag me with a spoon" reaction LOL! First impressions are if this is how this woman is throughout this book, i will gag LOL, but I was assuming, something of real meaning will happen to her maybe. Kevin seems like the perfect friend for a stuck up lonely snob who has "taste" lol. He's right there to gasp with her and gossip with her, but I do like him. Harry is pretty cool, he is great comic relief. I like the writing style, so hanging in to see what happens to Miriam the socialite with not the money to back it up since hubby left, nor the "breeding" LOL. Enjoying the book.

Hi Vivico! I promise you will get your time and money's worth from this crazy story of mine. I know so many women like Miriam you wouldn't believe it! (They're not speaking to me right now.) But welcome aboard and I look forward to your comments as we go! Dot

New User
KatieDC1
0 Kudos

I can't wait to read this. Since I'm not working right now, we're on a tight budget, and I can't buy it yet.

I relish the plot because I live in a suburb of Washington, D.C. where there are a lot of socialites, super high achievers, money, politicians--you name it. Sometimes when I go to the grocery store I see this type of person, and they look stressed, depressed or no fun at all. I feel sorry for them.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hey Dot

I too know women like that. How did you get them to stop speaking to you? I could use some pointers. :smileyvery-happy:

BTW, I love the cover of Mango Sunsets as much as I did the cover of Full of Grace! It suggests such a summery feeling. I particularly like the fact that the book itself echoes the colors! :smileyhappy:

dotfrank wrote:

I know so many women like Miriam you wouldn't believe it! (They're not speaking to me right now.) But welcome aboard and I look forward to your comments as we go! Dot

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Hey Dot

Liz-dear hearts, I had to put sun glasses on when reading the book! The cover literally vibrates sunshine!!

Kathy S.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

First Impressions

Since I read this book within days of its release (I tried to wait - I really did try. But you know what it's like when you have a book you can't wait to read - especially one of Dot's! You can't not read it. :smileyhappy: ), it's difficult to remember exactly my first impressions, but I'll try.

Starting the first chapter with Miriam's note just so aptly illustrated her. I got the impression of a woman wound a little too tight and who is a little too concerned about appearances. I just hoped that as she unwound, she would become more likeable. Her thoughts on her own mother and her relationships with her sons gave me an impression of her, but her real friendship with Kevin (who is a riot) gave a glimpse to the woman underneath.

As to Kevin, he's terrific and who wouldn't love a pet like Harry!
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Well, I know this won't come as much of a surprise, but I have a friend named KEvin who bears a strong resemblance in character to a Kevin I wrote about . . .

Wow, Dot, Aren't you the lucky one!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

LizzieAnn wrote:
Since I read this book within days of its release (I tried to wait - I really did try. But you know what it's like when you have a book you can't wait to read - especially one of Dot's! You can't not read it. :smileyhappy: ), it's difficult to remember exactly my first impressions, but I'll try.

Starting the first chapter with Miriam's note just so aptly illustrated her. I got the impression of a woman wound a little too tight and who is a little too concerned about appearances. I just hoped that as she unwound, she would become more likeable. Her thoughts on her own mother and her relationships with her sons gave me an impression of her, but her real friendship with Kevin (who is a riot) gave a glimpse to the woman underneath.

As to Kevin, he's terrific and who wouldn't love a pet like Harry!

Yeah! What Liz said! LOL
I think wound too tight pretty much describes M. for me. I'm not too far into the book right now, savoring it page by page. I hate it when they end!! The bird, Harry, has to be the star of the M.& K. trio! What a guy!

Kathy S.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Hi Vivico! I promise you will get your time and money's worth from this crazy story of mine. I know so many women like Miriam you wouldn't believe it! (They're not speaking to me right now.) But welcome aboard and I look forward to your comments as we go! Dot

ROFL!! Dot? are those friends who are not talking to you right now, TOO close to some of the characters in the book and maybe recognising themselves? hehe . How funny.

I did want to mention something that was a first impression too, hit me right away, that i so so appreciate you doing Dot and that is, giving your chapters titles! not just numbers! I really do love titled chapters cause its easier to find things you want to go back and reread and its also so much easier when you want to discuss a book with others. I have read so many books lately with just numbers and had to keep page numbers written down for everything i wanted to go back on that I thought NO one titles chapters anymore! So, I thank you so much for that extra help in enjoy and sharing a book Dot. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 204 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: