Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Manners and Manners

[ Edited ]

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

What's Alli? Since I can't even imagine your being anti-social, I'd say that's definitely not right for you!

I was wondering this myself....I was thinking ....the pre-made dinners from Jenny Craig....the Kirstie Alley way of dieting...let's all gather our friends and family around the microwave tonight?! Just a thought. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-29-2007 04:56 PM
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

What's Alli? Since I can't even imagine your being anti-social, I'd say that's definitely not right for you!

If Dot does not see this post, check out your local Walgreen's.
My guess is that the antisocial aspect has to do with a side effect of this stuff.

Janet from Central FL
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

My guess is that the antisocial aspect has to do with a side effect of this stuff.

Janet from Central FL

Well.......before you purchase Alli at your local drugstore......it is an over-the-counter diet pill...........it might be a good idea to "google" Alli

I just did and I think I'll skip Alli and spend more time at the local YMCA. LOL

Janet from Central FL
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:

homereader wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

Janet from Central FL

Well.......before you purchase Alli at your local drugstore......it is an over-the-counter diet pill...........it might be a good idea to "google" Alli

I just did and I think I'll skip Alli and spend more time at the local YMCA. LOL

Janet from Central FL

IT's disgusting. Amd I followed the low fat diet dictum.

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

homereader wrote:

homereader wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

Janet from Central FL

Janet from Central FL

IT's disgusting. Amd I followed the low fat diet dictum.

I have been doing Weight Watchers, not the whole get to the meetings thing, just got the kit and do it at home and make my foods that i like fit the diet. I dont want to buy expensive frozen foods either. I needed a change in lifestyle eating, not just a diet, and this has worked for me, very slowly because I am a pretty sedentary person here and havent exercised like I should and have an underactive thyroid too BUT lol, it does work and I am not hungry and so I have a way of life now, plus as I noted before, I treat myself once a month , like the coconut shrimp! The trick is to not do it every day or even once a week. I dont feel like I am missing anything because I make the foods I like and popcorn is my saving grace for snack food. I have been eating this way for 2 years now, leveled off 6 months ago and staying the same now. I could lose more with a bit of exercise and I need to, to firm up now cause..drumroll please, I lost 65 pounds and am keeping it off so far! Its not a diet that now that I lost it, I just go eat everything again, I dont crave a lot anymore, so I did find my lifestyle and it does have the highest rate of success and the longest success rate of keeping it off according to my doctor, when I told him what I was going to do. And found an independant survey online that says the same. Oh I gain fast if I eat some things I shouldnt, like the first of the month with those 3 brownies, but because how I eat now is my regular routine, it comes off in one or two days.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Margeit
0 Kudos

Re: "How Nice!"

[ Edited ]
Your comment about a Southern woman reminded me of a joke. I can't tell the joke here or I'd be banned forever from B&N bookclubs, but if a Southern woman says "How nice" to you--BEWARE!

I promise I won't say "How Nice" to anyone here. LOL!

Later--

Mair

Mair,

I love that joke. Some friends of ours were eating out in a very crowded casual place. And these people come in talking to each other loud and as if no one else was there. I forget what one of them said, but you could hear "How Nice" said all over the restaurant.

Message Edited by Margeit on 07-31-2007 03:03 PM

Margret
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Margeit wrote:
Your comment about a Southern woman reminded me of a joke. I can't tell the joke here or I'd be banned forever from B&N bookclubs, but if a Southern woman says "How nice" to you--BEWARE!

Later--

Mair

Mair,

I love that joke. Some friends of ours were eating out in a very crowded casual place. And these people come in talking to each other loud and as if no one else was there. I forget what one of them said, but you could hear "How Nice" said all over the restaurant.

It's a little bit like "that poor child is as ugly as a mud fence, bless her heart." Ya gotta watch out for "Bless your heart" too.

Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

Margeit wrote:

Later--

Mair

Mair,

It's a little bit like "that poor child is as ugly as a mud fence, bless her heart." Ya gotta watch out for "Bless your heart" too.

LOL - I love that joke too!!
UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

CAT72 wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Margeit wrote:

Later--

Mair

Mair,

LOL - I love that joke too!!

well heck, dont leave me out of these jokes two and three times! If you cant post them in here, send me a pm and tell me! just drive me nuts lol, or I will say well bless your heart, how nice, from now on to you :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Vivian,

It basically means that Bless her heart or How nice is being said tongue in cheek. If you preface that terrible thing you said about a person with "Bless her heart" well, that is a little like a Southern cushion. Makes it sound like you're sorry for her, not tearing her down.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

It basically means that Bless her heart or How nice is being said tongue in cheek. If you preface that terrible thing you said about a person with "Bless her heart" well, that is a little like a Southern cushion. Makes it sound like you're sorry for her, not tearing her down.

and that sounded like a cushioned answer steph LOL :smileywink:. Must be more behind it if they cant say it in here, and there was reference to "that joke" that cant be told in here lol. I wanted to know the joke. Sounds like more than just the cushioned offhand remark like when we say something about someone, or they do and we say, aww poor baby. LOL. Oh welllll. :smileywink:
Vivian
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

and that sounded like a cushioned answer steph LOL :smileywink:. Must be more behind it if they cant say it in here, and there was reference to "that joke" that cant be told in here lol. I wanted to know the joke. Sounds like more than just the cushioned offhand remark like when we say something about someone, or they do and we say, aww poor baby. LOL. Oh welllll. :smileywink:

Lord Viv - this is proof of your youth! I can't remember what joke I missed!

Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

Dot - I think it is the on about finishing school where the wife learns to say "That's nice" instead of "F... You". However, I dont really remember exactly how it goes.
UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

Lord Viv - this is proof of your youth! I can't remember what joke I missed!

LOL, my youth, I am 50 years old. But yeah, I do remember jokes lol and always want to hear ones, like whatever the bless your heart joke is and whatever the "how nice" joke is lol. I understand what steph is saying but it sounded like there was an actual joke about those two that "couldnt be said in here" that of course now i want to know! lol. I didnt think turning 50 would bug me but it does. Not so much because I feel old, heavens, sometimes I have felt old since i was 16! Sometimes I will never grow up..by choice lol. But I hate 50 because its been in the last year and a half that i lost the 65 pounds, and dont get me wrong, MAN I am glad I did, but at 50, its not tightening up, firming up :smileysad: , so i look old now I think. I think I have aged maybe 7 years in the past one. I dropped a hand mirror on the floor and bent over to pick it up and went AHHHH its my mother!! or what the heck is that dog called with all the folds of skin?? SCARY. one thing you can say about fat, it does smooth out the wrinkles lol. My thighs are flabby now, my arms are ready for take off, I could flap better than the meanest bird and my boobs, well heck you know what happens there. They didnt shrink to nothing, just lost their fullness and now sag sag sag. I am glad for the weight loss. I am not happy at how I look at 50, well as long as I stay dressed and always hold my head like i am looking up, its ok i guess LOL. I have turned from the fun girl who you might find, well shall we say, in all positions lol :smileywink: to the stuck up, gotta be a snob the way she holds her head up, fully clothed, practically wearing turtle necks in the summer, slimmer but not moving much, old woman!

So anyway, no memory is not sagging :smileywink: and i want in on the FULL joke lol.
Vivian
KathyS
0 Kudos

Ok, Viv, you want to know what it means when a Southern Belle says, "How Nice"? We'll, unfortunately our Southern Belle, Mair, can't tell you at the moment because she's on her way up to Mt. Pilatus in Switzerland as I'm writing this - but I'm sure she'd give me permission to pass the "How Nice" along to you.

Actually, this joke is coming to me about third hand, so it may loose something in the translation. You know how that goes, right? Jokes are kind of like that, you always wonder if the end is really the same ending to the original joke. Or the beginning, or the middle, etc.....I know Mair is lousy when it comes to repeating jokes.....and so am I.....so let me think on this for just a moment before I tell you, ok? Mair didn't want to get herself into trouble by telling it, and neither do I. But if you insist, I'm going to have to figure out how I'm going to clean it up for anyone with a delicate constitution.....I might have to take the 5th on this one.....and maybe a fifth of Southern Comfort before hand. Hang in there, story awaits!

Kathy S.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
Ok, Viv, you want to know what it means when a Southern Belle says, "How Nice"? We'll, unfortunately our Southern Belle, Mair, can't tell you at the moment because she's on her way up to Mt. Pilatus in Switzerland as I'm writing this - but I'm sure she'd give me permission to pass the "How Nice" along to you.

Actually, this joke is coming to me about third hand, so it may loose something in the translation. You know how that goes, right? Jokes are kind of like that, you always wonder if the end is really the same ending to the original joke. Or the beginning, or the middle, etc.....I know Mair is lousy when it comes to repeating jokes.....and so am I.....so let me think on this for just a moment before I tell you, ok? Mair didn't want to get herself into trouble by telling it, and neither do I. But if you insist, I'm going to have to figure out how I'm going to clean it up for anyone with a delicate constitution.....I might have to take the 5th on this one.....and maybe a fifth of Southern Comfort before hand. Hang in there, story awaits!

Kathy S.

send it in a pm, no one to offend there.
Vivian
KathyS
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

Sorry, Viv, the joke's too long for a PM, and I now see Cat gave away the punch line. It wasn't all that funny anyway.

Enjoy your next book-----
KathyS.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

Sorry, Viv, the joke's too long for a PM, and I now see Cat gave away the punch line. It wasn't all that funny anyway.

Enjoy your next book-----
KathyS.

oh kathy, give it up, you dont know the joke either LOL :smileywink:. As for pm's, theres been one sitting since Cage that you should read, its when things went south and never needed to. Enjoy your next read too tho.
Vivian
KathyS
0 Kudos

Happy reading!

oh kathy, give it up, you dont know the joke either LOL . As for pm's, theres been one sitting since Cage that you should read, its when things went south and never needed to. Enjoy your next read too tho.

Vivian, to set your mind at rest, :smileyhappy: I do know the joke, such as it is. I honestly did try to write it out for you last night, but I couldn't seem to get it said right, to where it wasn't so full of inuendos, the point was lost. So I gave up. Like I'd said, the way Mair had told it to me, it wasn't all that funny anyway. Using foul langage on these boards isn't something I think I should do. Inuendos are bad enough.

As to the subject of reading past PM's, I never received them because the function was disabled. If PM's had been sent to me, they were lost in cyber space, I'm sorry. And the function is still down.

Now the past is the past, and I'd prefer to concentrate on the future; just having a good read, a good discussion, and a good time on these boards. I hope this is agreeable for you? And I'm sorry for any misunderstanding I may have caused along the way....Let's have the south and the north call a truce. :smileyhappy: Miriam moved on, lets us! :smileyhappy:

Happy days, and happy reading!

Kathy
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Happy reading!

KathyS wrote:
oh kathy, give it up, you dont know the joke either LOL . As for pm's, theres been one sitting since Cage that you should read, its when things went south and never needed to. Enjoy your next read too tho.

Vivian, to set your mind at rest, :smileyhappy: I do know the joke, such as it is. I honestly did try to write it out for you last night, but I couldn't seem to get it said right, to where it wasn't so full of inuendos, the point was lost. So I gave up. Like I'd said, the way Mair had told it to me, it wasn't all that funny anyway. Using foul langage on these boards isn't something I think I should do. Inuendos are bad enough.

As to the subject of reading past PM's, I never received them because the function was disabled. If PM's had been sent to me, they were lost in cyber space, I'm sorry. And the function is still down.

Now the past is the past, and I'd prefer to concentrate on the future; just having a good read, a good discussion, and a good time on these boards. I hope this is agreeable for you? And I'm sorry for any misunderstanding I may have caused along the way....Let's have the south and the north call a truce. :smileyhappy: Miriam moved on, lets us! :smileyhappy:

Happy days, and happy reading!

Kathy

Not to worry. There was not but one pm after the dagger pierced the heart in open forum and then it seems the pm doors "became disabled" to any reply that would not be thrown back in open for manner's sake. Nor will it. So it ends. But with an unsoothed wound. On to the next bookclubs for both of us and good reading.
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 42 members 722 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: