Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

Kevin is so much fun, and stabilizing, like a soft pillow to land on when you're so darned tired you can't think. I was picturing Miriam, as she was inching her hair down....at least she's trying, inch by inch. She's got her walls to start taking down, that's for sure.

Kathy

dotfrank wrote:

tll wrote:
My first impressions of Mariam is that she is a stuffy but lonely woman who tries her best to impress everyone. Kevin seems to be a wonderful and caring friend.




Poor Miriam! She's so stuffy that she's stuffed! I always wanted to write novels but if that didn't work I considered becoming a taxidermist! And, we all need a Kevin. Dot


Contributor
AnnMar
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎12-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

I like the title and the cover. Both drew me right in. I must see Sullivans Island one day and see a mango sunset for myself.

Like everyone here I would love to have a friend like Kevin. He is always there to make things better. Now for Miriam, I feel sorry for someone whose selfworth depends on where others see you on the social ladder. I do, however, love her note writing. I write thank notes and would rather receive hand written notes instead of emails, but I don't send quite a many as Miriam does. And the way she signs her notes, with her complete name - Miriam Elizabeth Swanson. So stiff and formal.

Now Harry made me laugh. He knows exactly what to say and when to say it.

Ann
New User
keysreader
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-08-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

I think Miriam reveals herself when she says that she cried enough tears to refill Lake Superior and then added which is "what I thought I was." You want to dislike her because of her superior snotty attitude but there is something there from the beginning that makes you like her or at least want to like her! She admits her loneliness but does not quite see that she is responsible for it--I hope she doesn't chase Kevin away since their relationship and conversations always seem to be about her. I hate that she has caused a separation with her sons - she admits she needs her mother but won't give them theirs.
keysreader
New User
Pam5
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-09-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

[ Edited ]
My first impression of Kevin was that he was the kind of guy every girl would love to have as a friend. He could help you shop, tell you just what he thinks , and you wouldn't have to be jealous of him if he was thinner, taller, or prettier than you, because it wouldn't matter ! lol.
Harry? Well, first of all I love Jimmy Buffet and his parrot mania! So, when I found out that whom Harry was,, I was excited!
I was on vacation siting in a chair reading this book, and you wouldn't believe but I looked up to see a lady riding a pink bicycle w/ a parrot on her shoulder! I jumped up and went and told everybody! My answer: I loved Harry, and really want to look into how much care, and work it is to own a parrot!

Message Edited by Pam5 on 07-09-2007 10:46 PM
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Hey Dot

All--

I know this sounds stupid, but sometimes as I was reading, I'd close the book and look at the beautiful colors on the cover again.

Later--

Mair
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

Harry? Parrots? Just make sure you own a pooper-scooper! And have stock in a cleaning service! :smileyvery-happy:

Pam5 wrote:
My first impression of Kevin was that he was the kind of guy every girl would love to have as a friend. He could help you shop, tell you just what he thinks , and you wouldn't have to be jealous of him if he was thinner, taller, or prettier than you, because it wouldn't matter ! lol.
Harry? Well, first of all I love Jimmy Buffet and his parrot mania! So, when I found out that whom Harry was,, I was excited!
I was on vacation siting in a chair reading this book, and you wouldn't believe but I looked up to see a lady riding a pink bicycle w/ a parrot on her shoulder! I jumped up and went and told everybody! My answer: I loved Harry, and really want to look into how much care, and work it is to own a parrot!

Message Edited by Pam5 on 07-09-2007 10:46 PM


Frequent Contributor
mairwill
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

Wrighty and All--

I loved those handwritten notes, too.

Later--

Mair
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

kiakar--

I think the high society route was the only route she knew--both from growing up and when she was married. She knew no other way.

Later--

Mair
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

Liz and All--

You said: Without Kevin's hand to hold and the smile that Harry put on her face, I don't know if she would have made it through..." Gosh, it's sad to think about: that there are probably women in real life without a good friend like Kevin and a bird to make 'em laugh.

Later--

Mair
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions



AnnMar wrote:
I like the title and the cover. Both drew me right in. I must see Sullivans Island one day and see a mango sunset for myself.

Like everyone here I would love to have a friend like Kevin. He is always there to make things better. Now for Miriam, I feel sorry for someone whose selfworth depends on where others see you on the social ladder. I do, however, love her note writing. I write thank notes and would rather receive hand written notes instead of emails, but I don't send quite a many as Miriam does. And the way she signs her notes, with her complete name - Miriam Elizabeth Swanson. So stiff and formal.

Now Harry made me laugh. He knows exactly what to say and when to say it.

Ann





And Miriam was so formal in even addressing the lady she had worked with on all these committees as Ms. Willis. Do those high society people really do that? Call each other Ms. Willis or Ms. Swanson?

Later--

Mair
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

[ Edited ]

keysreader wrote:
I think Miriam reveals herself when she says that she cried enough tears to refill Lake Superior and then added which is "what I thought I was." You want to dislike her because of her superior snotty attitude but there is something there from the beginning that makes you like her or at least want to like her! She admits her loneliness but does not quite see that she is responsible for it--I hope she doesn't chase Kevin away since their relationship and conversations always seem to be about her. I hate that she has caused a separation with her sons - she admits she needs her mother but won't give them theirs.




Miriam is showing us just how vulnerable she really is. She has this internal dialogue that keeps contradicting and questioning herself. Should I? Or shouldn't I?.... What would happen ifThis is great dialogue! We not only think about what she's saying, but start wondering, "what if I were in her shoes? How would I deal with that situation?" Dot is great with her searching within stories. The beautiful part about them, is, you're never left with an unsatisfied feeling from her characters. But, I can't guarantee you won't start searching within yourself for answers.....that's usually a given!

Kathy S.

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-09-2007 08:12 PM
Contributor
sarahsal
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

Having enjoyed many of DBF's books so I approached the opening with great anticipation and it was great with Dot's usual great descriptions. I can't wait to see what growth/lessons are in store for Miriam. Wouldn't it be great to live with Harry? He is that piece in all of us that just wants to tell it like it is. Maybe that is why kids are so great (esp. those 3 year olds who don't know how to filter).
Of course, Mango Sunsets....just the thought of a mango sunset is delicious.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions



mairwill wrote:


AnnMar wrote:
I like the title and the cover. Both drew me right in. I must see Sullivans Island one day and see a mango sunset for myself.

Like everyone here I would love to have a friend like Kevin. He is always there to make things better. Now for Miriam, I feel sorry for someone whose selfworth depends on where others see you on the social ladder. I do, however, love her note writing. I write thank notes and would rather receive hand written notes instead of emails, but I don't send quite a many as Miriam does. And the way she signs her notes, with her complete name - Miriam Elizabeth Swanson. So stiff and formal.

Now Harry made me laugh. He knows exactly what to say and when to say it.

Ann





And Miriam was so formal in even addressing the lady she had worked with on all these committees as Ms. Willis. Do those high society people really do that? Call each other Ms. Willis or Ms. Swanson?

Later--

Mair




Ms. M. W---? Is this how you want me to address you from now on? LOL It sounds just a little over-the-top, doesn't it, for being such "good" friends!

You can just call me for dinner!
Ms. Kathleen S. S------
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions



mairwill wrote:
Wrighty and All--

I loved those handwritten notes, too.

Later--

Mair


Yes! Thank you!
K.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Hey Dot

No, Mair, that doesn't sound stupid....if it is, then I'm just as stupid for doing it too! I think that's why I'm having such a hard time with this....I think you just nailed it! I keep looking at the cover, then away from the page, closing my eyes, and picturing them! I've seen my share of sunsets over the ocean, and the vivid colors are so unbelievably real! It's driving me crazy that I'm not at the beach right now! Grrrr!
K.

mairwill wrote:
All--

I know this sounds stupid, but sometimes as I was reading, I'd close the book and look at the beautiful colors on the cover again.

Later--

Mair


Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions


Pam5 wrote:
My first impression of Kevin was that he was the kind of guy every girl would love to have as a friend. He could help you shop, tell you just what he thinks , and you wouldn't have to be jealous of him if he was thinner, taller, or prettier than you, because it wouldn't matter ! lol.
Harry? Well, first of all I love Jimmy Buffet and his parrot mania! So, when I found out that whom Harry was,, I was excited!
I was on vacation siting in a chair reading this book, and you wouldn't believe but I looked up to see a lady riding a pink bicycle w/ a parrot on her shoulder! I jumped up and went and told everybody! My answer: I loved Harry, and really want to look into how much care, and work it is to own a parrot!

Message Edited by Pam5 on 07-09-2007 10:46 PM


Pam, many years ago I had a gay friend where I worked. Kevin reminds me of him some, I could almost hear his voice and see his mannerisms at times. Kevin sometimes sounds pretty effeminant and dramatic and other times pretty masculine when needed. The guy I knew was not the masculine type at all and dont kid yourself, there can be all kinds of jealousy over whose thinner, whose prettier etc, LOL! And NO ONE can cut you down for wearing the wrong thing or color or style more rofl. But oh what fun too lol, can go anywhere together and ogle the men together too hehehe.

OH, had to share a saying you all may know that Harry reminds me of.....live your life as though the family parrot was being sold to the town gossip. LOL, good advice, no?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Hey Dot



KathyS wrote:
No, Mair, that doesn't sound stupid....if it is, then I'm just as stupid for doing it too! I think that's why I'm having such a hard time with this....I think you just nailed it! I keep looking at the cover, then away from the page, closing my eyes, and picturing them! I've seen my share of sunsets over the ocean, and the vivid colors are so unbelievably real! It's driving me crazy that I'm not at the beach right now! Grrrr!
K.

mairwill wrote:
All--

I know this sounds stupid, but sometimes as I was reading, I'd close the book and look at the beautiful colors on the cover again.

Later--

Mair







And Dot might remember the color of my jacket when I came to the Festival of Books in Lexington was hot pink so her book matched my jacket! LOL!

Later--

Mair
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

[ Edited ]
KathyS--

I'll get my people to call your people and we'll do lunch! LOL!

Later--

Mair

Message Edited by mairwill on 07-10-2007 07:48 AM
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

Vicico and All--

I loved what you said:

OH, had to share a saying you all may know that Harry reminds me of.....live your life as though the family parrot was being sold to the town gossip. LOL, good advice, no?

That's hilarious and so true! Although I don't always live my life as if the family parrot will be sold to the town gossip. Oops.

Later--

Mair
Contributor
lynna
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

First impressions I have learned trough out my 49 years are meant to be just that, first. Miriam started off as a snob for me but became so much more and meant more. I have a friend, gay male, actually 2 like hers, and they are funny and supportive but not to this extreme. But, more like all my other friends, we have such great times. But, through the entire book Dot has a way of turning the characters so that they are human and living in your house. You learn the whys of their personality and the first impressions can be, let's not say wrong, but, enhanced. Isn't that great, just like our everday selves and we get to feel it when it open the pages of this book and our friends are waiting for us.
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 716 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: