Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

Hadn't heard that one! Another reason for me to NOT get a parrot!

mairwill wrote:
Vicico and All--

I loved what you said:

OH, had to share a saying you all may know that Harry reminds me of.....live your life as though the family parrot was being sold to the town gossip. LOL, good advice, no?

That's hilarious and so true! Although I don't always live my life as if the family parrot will be sold to the town gossip. Oops.

Later--

Mair

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Hey Dot

mairwill wrote:

KathyS wrote:
No, Mair, that doesn't sound stupid....if it is, then I'm just as stupid for doing it too! I think that's why I'm having such a hard time with this....I think you just nailed it! I keep looking at the cover, then away from the page, closing my eyes, and picturing them! I've seen my share of sunsets over the ocean, and the vivid colors are so unbelievably real! It's driving me crazy that I'm not at the beach right now! Grrrr!
K.

mairwill wrote:
All--

I know this sounds stupid, but sometimes as I was reading, I'd close the book and look at the beautiful colors on the cover again.

Later--

Mair

And Dot might remember the color of my jacket when I came to the Festival of Books in Lexington was hot pink so her book matched my jacket! LOL!

Later--

Mair

I saw that! So understated! LOL
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Don't you just wish that it were you on the cover? I know I do! :smileyvery-happy:

KathyS wrote:
No, Mair, that doesn't sound stupid....if it is, then I'm just as stupid for doing it too! I think that's why I'm having such a hard time with this....I think you just nailed it! I keep looking at the cover, then away from the page, closing my eyes, and picturing them! I've seen my share of sunsets over the ocean, and the vivid colors are so unbelievably real! It's driving me crazy that I'm not at the beach right now! Grrrr!
K.

mairwill wrote:
All--

I know this sounds stupid, but sometimes as I was reading, I'd close the book and look at the beautiful colors on the cover again.

Later--

Mair

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

That's what gives me hope for Miriam's unwinding and turn-around!! She's not as rigid inside as she's trying to be outside.

KathyS wrote:

Miriam is showing us just how vulnerable she really is. She has this internal dialogue that keeps contradicting and questioning herself. Should I? Or shouldn't I?.... What would happen ifThis is great dialogue! We not only think about what she's saying, but start wondering, "what if I were in her shoes? How would I deal with that situation?" Dot is great with her searching within stories. The beautiful part about them, is, you're never left with an unsatisfied feeling from her characters. But, I can't guarantee you won't start searching within yourself for answers.....that's usually a given!

Kathy S.

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-09-2007 08:12 PM

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

mairwill wrote:
All--

Later--

Mair

Mair, not crazy at all, they are excitable colors that express the vigor in our souls. You know, I love the color of the book, not just the cover. I take my covers off because I get them so wrinkle and do they ever get in entanglements with my treatment of them.So its great just looking at the orange-pink-peach book other than the dull grusome blacks and blues.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

mairwill wrote:
kiakar--

I think the high society route was the only route she knew--both from growing up and when she was married. She knew no other way.

Later--

Mair

You are so right! I hope she looks beyond this era of her life and follows Miss Josie's new improved life. I love that little lady also.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

mairwill wrote:
Liz and All--

You said: Without Kevin's hand to hold and the smile that Harry put on her face, I don't know if she would have made it through..." Gosh, it's sad to think about: that there are probably women in real life without a good friend like Kevin and a bird to make 'em laugh.

Later--

Mair

And you know a good friend like Kevin would be a great fulfillment in anyone's life but you are right, very few women even have a Harry and Kevin. That is really bad.!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
That's what gives me hope for Miriam's unwinding and turn-around!! She's not as rigid inside as she's trying to be outside.

KathyS wrote:

Miriam is showing us just how vulnerable she really is. She has this internal dialogue that keeps contradicting and questioning herself. Should I? Or shouldn't I?.... What would happen ifThis is great dialogue! We not only think about what she's saying, but start wondering, "what if I were in her shoes? How would I deal with that situation?" Dot is great with her searching within stories. The beautiful part about them, is, you're never left with an unsatisfied feeling from her characters. But, I can't guarantee you won't start searching within yourself for answers.....that's usually a given!

Kathy S.

Liz; I guess it would be nice to think we are all alittle on the mellow side inside us. The hardcore crust is just protecting that softness we call a soul. I don't know why I am on the soul today. I guess I might feel alittle melodramatic today. lol.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Pam5 wrote:
My first impression of Kevin was that he was the kind of guy every girl would love to have as a friend. He could help you shop, tell you just what he thinks , and you wouldn't have to be jealous of him if he was thinner, taller, or prettier than you, because it wouldn't matter ! lol.
Harry? Well, first of all I love Jimmy Buffet and his parrot mania! So, when I found out that whom Harry was,, I was excited!
I was on vacation siting in a chair reading this book, and you wouldn't believe but I looked up to see a lady riding a pink bicycle w/ a parrot on her shoulder! I jumped up and went and told everybody! My answer: I loved Harry, and really want to look into how much care, and work it is to own a parrot!

Message Edited by Pam5 on 07-09-2007 10:46 PM

Pam, many years ago I had a gay friend where I worked. Kevin reminds me of him some, I could almost hear his voice and see his mannerisms at times. Kevin sometimes sounds pretty effeminant and dramatic and other times pretty masculine when needed. The guy I knew was not the masculine type at all and dont kid yourself, there can be all kinds of jealousy over whose thinner, whose prettier etc, LOL! And NO ONE can cut you down for wearing the wrong thing or color or style more rofl. But oh what fun too lol, can go anywhere together and ogle the men together too hehehe.

OH, had to share a saying you all may know that Harry reminds me of.....live your life as though the family parrot was being sold to the town gossip. LOL, good advice, no?

Viv; I love that about the parrot. I will have to remember that one! Wow! you are wise! I know, just wanted to make your day. hehehe
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Colors?

All--

Aren't colors so important to us and how we feel? I get so tired of the earth tones and blacks of winter and so look forward to the green grass, flowers, and bright colors of spring and summer.

And me and my hot pink jacket would look great on the cover of Dot's book.

The bright colors of the jacket were mentioned at the book signing that I went to and Dot said she liked it and how the colors just grabbed your attention.

Later--

Mair
KathyS
0 Kudos

Liz? Me, on the cover? Huh! I'm afraid if Dot wants to sell books, my picture wouldn't do it for her! But I know what you mean...yes, if I looked like that model, running carefree through the surf and sand, I'd love it!

I'd be happy with just a beach chair, and a book, so I can live out the rest of my life with my toes dug into the sand!

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Don't you just wish that it were you on the cover? I know I do! :smileyvery-happy:

KathyS wrote:
K.

mairwill wrote:
All--

Later--

Mair

KathyS
0 Kudos

Linda, no, you're not being melodramic, you're just looking inside of yourself, which is what I meant when I said, that's what Dot's words in her characters can do to you.

Kathy S.

kiakar wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

Liz; I guess it would be nice to think we are all alittle on the mellow side inside us. The hardcore crust is just protecting that softness we call a soul. I don't know why I am on the soul today. I guess I might feel alittle melodramatic today. lol.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Colors? Book covers and dust jackets

Mair, these colors are a first for me. I'm so used to the more subdued tones of book covers. I'm not talking about the dust jacket. But I think there is a trend to get more vibrant colors out there, in the book world. I'm not sure if it's a publisher's way of pushing their books....It's almost like they're saying, "let's see who can get the most books sold, by using the brightest colors on the shelves to attract attention."

I know this is part of advertising, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it just seems odd to see these colors popping out at you. I love to see a lot of experimentation with colors/designs on dust jackets, adventures with exciting tones, if it's going to reflect what I'm reading. But where it comes to the actual book cover, I'm just not totally convinced yet. I take reading seriously, even if the story is light hearted. Hot colors give me a first impression, one I'm not willing to indulge myself in when I start to open a book. It's just my opinion, and please don't anyone take it personally! I had said, someplace on these B&N boards, that Dot can cover her books in a brown paper sack, and I'd still read them!
Kathy S.

mairwill wrote:
All--

Aren't colors so important to us and how we feel? I get so tired of the earth tones and blacks of winter and so look forward to the green grass, flowers, and bright colors of spring and summer.

And me and my hot pink jacket would look great on the cover of Dot's book.

The bright colors of the jacket were mentioned at the book signing that I went to and Dot said she liked it and how the colors just grabbed your attention.

Later--

Mair

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: Dust covers and vibrant colors

just a couple of notes since we are talking about the dust cover and colors. I like a books original cover on the book, no matter what the colors are, tho the cut out style ones I have a problem with lol. We talked about dust covers before in another bookclub and keeping them nice and new and not getting torn or stained and so I checked with the library to see where they get the clear ones they put on their books that work so well and they gave me the name of the place below. I checked at B&N stores and they didnt carry clear ones, just cloth or plain ones and I want my books showing on my shelf where I can read the titles on the spines of them and dont want all the goodies written on the covers, covered lol. Anyway they said it would be ok to show this link since they dont carry them and it is to protect our books we buy. They are not expensive at all and you can fit them to any book and keep your covers in perfect condition while leaving them on the books to read too. Here's the link:

http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/bjc/

also one other thought about the vibrant colors on books and on this one...I got a color blind friend, she still likes the book ROFL!!! :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
laprn64
0 Kudos

Ann, my thoughts exactly! I've just started reading the book but I love it already! Found myself wanting to rent the apartment from Miriam!

Lee Ann
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

Definitely!! Dot's characters are so real & alive!

KathyS wrote:
Linda, no, you're not being melodramic, you're just looking inside of yourself, which is what I meant when I said, that's what Dot's words in her characters can do to you.

Kathy S.

kiakar wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

Liz ♥ ♥

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I didn't associate the colors with an opinion, but with the title itself - Mango Sunsets. It sounds so tropical & beachy - and the colors fit!

I agree 200% with your last sentence too! It doesn't matter what Dot's words come wrapped up in - they speak for themselves, and I love every one of them! :smileyvery-happy:

KathyS wrote:
Mair, these colors are a first for me. I'm so used to the more subdued tones of book covers. I'm not talking about the dust jacket. But I think there is a trend to get more vibrant colors out there, in the book world. I'm not sure if it's a publisher's way of pushing their books....It's almost like they're saying, "let's see who can get the most books sold, by using the brightest colors on the shelves to attract attention."

I know this is part of advertising, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it just seems odd to see these colors popping out at you. I love to see a lot of experimentation with colors/designs on dust jackets, adventures with exciting tones, if it's going to reflect what I'm reading. But where it comes to the actual book cover, I'm just not totally convinced yet. I take reading seriously, even if the story is light hearted. Hot colors give me a first impression, one I'm not willing to indulge myself in when I start to open a book. It's just my opinion, and please don't anyone take it personally! I had said, someplace on these B&N boards, that Dot can cover her books in a brown paper sack, and I'd still read them!
Kathy S.
Liz ♥ ♥

Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

KathyS and All--

I loved the bright colors on the cover, but that alone wouldn't make me buy a book. And the colors do have to be appropriate, as you say, to the content of the book. Can you imagine "The Thirteenth Tale" in bright colors? EGADS!!

Later--

Mair
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: Dust covers and vibrant colors

vivico1 wrote:
just a couple of notes since we are talking about the dust cover and colors. I like a books original cover on the book, no matter what the colors are, tho the cut out style ones I have a problem with lol. We talked about dust covers before in another bookclub and keeping them nice and new and not getting torn or stained and so I checked with the library to see where they get the clear ones they put on their books that work so well and they gave me the name of the place below. I checked at B&N stores and they didnt carry clear ones, just cloth or plain ones and I want my books showing on my shelf where I can read the titles on the spines of them and dont want all the goodies written on the covers, covered lol. Anyway they said it would be ok to show this link since they dont carry them and it is to protect our books we buy. They are not expensive at all and you can fit them to any book and keep your covers in perfect condition while leaving them on the books to read too. Here's the link:

http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/bjc/

also one other thought about the vibrant colors on books and on this one...I got a color blind friend, she still likes the book ROFL!!! :smileywink:

You are a thousand laughs, girl!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

LOL Mair - most definitely not!!

But I agree with you that the colors should agree with the book. I don't know if you read Stephen King, but the cover of his Lisey's Story was colorful & interesting and made a whole lot of sense after reading the book!

mairwill wrote:
KathyS and All--

I loved the bright colors on the cover, but that alone wouldn't make me buy a book. And the colors do have to be appropriate, as you say, to the content of the book. Can you imagine "The Thirteenth Tale" in bright colors? EGADS!!

Later--

Mair

Liz ♥ ♥

Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 1,099 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: