Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Ma'am

I think this subject has been hashed out to its fullest. Let's move on to other discussions and let this one lie. It appears that everyone has said what they needed to, and goodness knows, there are plenty of other topics to discuss.

Thanks for understanding.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: misunderstanding

Mair;

I can't see anything wrong with being called ma'ma. Or whatever it was Viv wrote! I am sorry you do not like for people to comment about your remarks. If I have said anything to insult you I am very sorry too! I was giving my opinion when I commented on what you thought about manners. Mair, it is definitely where a person comes from , about anything, is how they perceive things. I was raised a poor dirt farming Virginian and we were lucky to be called anything especially to supper at night!
I hope that made you laugh!We were having so much fun I thought!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Ma'am

Stephanie wrote:
I think this subject has been hashed out to its fullest. Let's move on to other discussions and let this one lie. It appears that everyone has said what they needed to, and goodness knows, there are plenty of other topics to discuss.

Thanks for understanding.

I am sorry, Stephanie;

I didn't see your post before I made the one to Mair; I just thought we were having such a good time, its hard to really express your true feelins on these posts. Sorry If I said anything that hurt anyones feelings.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters Discussion: First Impressions

I agree with Stephanie and this is such a fun club. Mair, there really was no harm intended. Viv was just joking and it must have been misunderstood. No one was picking on you and she sincerely apologized. What's fun about these clubs is that everyone brings there own opinions, life experiences, recommendations (I'm finding some great books here), recipes - you name it and it's here somewhere. Lets all talk about this great book some more! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
I agree with Stephanie and this is such a fun club. Mair, there really was no harm intended. Viv was just joking and it must have been misunderstood. No one was picking on you and she sincerely apologized. What's fun about these clubs is that everyone brings there own opinions, life experiences, recommendations (I'm finding some great books here), recipes - you name it and it's here somewhere. Lets all talk about this great book some more! :smileyhappy:

Like I said before, a woman from the south can say "go to hell," or worse, but with that sweet southern accent I may think it was a compliment. (If it's a man, I may follow him anywhere. :smileywink:) Sense of humor isn't always understood in these threads. Let's read about Miram and see where she ends up. :smileywink:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

Like I said before, a woman from the south can say "go to hell," or worse, but with that sweet southern accent I may think it was a compliment. (If it's a man, I may follow him anywhere. :smileywink:) Sense of humor isn't always understood in these threads. Let's read about Miram and see where she ends up. :smileywink:

I am just laughing my self silly tonight, Oh! its morning! no wonder I am laughing! och!!(If a man from the south said "go to hell" you better leave him alone or you gonna wish you were there!! hehehe Take it from me I have been there with some of those southern men!
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

I am just laughing my self silly tonight, Oh! its morning! no wonder I am laughing! och!!(If a man from the south said "go to hell" you better leave him alone or you gonna wish you were there!! hehehe Take it from me I have been there with some of those southern men!

You forgot ... not only am I a Yankee, I'm also blonde. ROFL :smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

"How Nice!"

cindersue wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

Cindersue--

Your comment about a Southern woman reminded me of a joke. I can't tell the joke here or I'd be banned forever from B&N bookclubs, but if a Southern woman says "How nice" to you--BEWARE!

I promise I won't say "How Nice" to anyone here. LOL!

Later--

Mair
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Manners and Manners

Oh, guys, got to share something about manners/respect and waiters with you that happened today. I took myself out today (since no one to go with and I wanted to go out lol) and at lunch, I went earlier than noon to avoid the crowds to Red Lobster. Was wanting some seafood, and I KNOW I KNOW, probably to those of you on the east coast, the idea of Red Lobster is ewwwwww since you can get fresh stuff right there and probably to you Red Lobsters are like Mexican food restaurants in Oklahoma are to me. Doesnt matter how nice mexican food places are here, it might as well be Taco Bell when it comes to the food because I grew up with the real stuff in New Mexico, so don't roll your eyes yet lol :smileywink:. I like Red Lobster lol.

Anyway, with all this tropical summertime food talk, I knew what i wanted when i went in. The maitre d' seated me at my table and started to give me about 3 menus lol and I said, oh I know what I want thank you and she said ok, i will send your waiter right over then. So my waiter, dressed very nicely and in his white apron, black pants,white shirt and black tie came to the table. He said Hi, my name is Bobby and I will be your waiter. I understand you know what you would like today. I said hi bobby, i sure do. (My allergies are bad right now because of the weather so actually I kind of croaked it out to him lol.) Anyway I said, sorry, allergies got my voice, he said I know what you mean and SAT DOWN on the other side of the booth with me ROFL. Now, yes, even this caught me off guard but hey, I was in a fun mood and its fine with me. We talked for a moment about the weather, everyone being sick, his two kids being sick with it and bobby was a very nice, good looking young man lol. So I told bobby I wanted the tropical coconut butterfly fried shrimp dinner with the pina colada dip (nice on a hot day and made me think of our tropical talk lol) and he got up and ask about salad, etc. And called me ma'am, answered yes ma'am when I would answer him about it and it was just nice actually lol. We had a little repore going there and when he would walk by my table to taking something to someone else's table, he would say, and how is everything mi lady? And I would say, just wonderful Bobby! Mi lady, LOL, I was not offended by that either! It was wonderful food, and his service was too and yess he was working it cause I am sure he needs his tips too and I am generous when treated well.

I heard him talking to another waiter standing back a couple of booths when there was a break in seating people about deciding whether to go into the reserves or not. When he walked by, i said bobby, did i hear you may be going into the reserves? He sat back down for a moment and said, yes, I have been thinking about it. I was in the navy but have been thinking about going into the reserves, but my wife is worried about me doing it now. I said well you know they are sending all the reserves to Iraq right now and some of the regulars to other areas. He said yeah I keep hearing that. I said well, I love our men and women in the service, God bless them and especially right now, with all the controversy about the war, for those of you who are still wanting to serve our country, I salute you! He said yes, its quite a decision to go right now but as I have told my wife, my life is in God's hands. I said well thats one thing we all have in common, and no matter where you are, God knows your time and it wont be before. He said, well see, there ya go! Then some more people came in and he was up and serving. He would stop by to check on everything before I needed it and it was a very pleasant lunch and i LOVE Coconut Shrimp! Have any of you had it???

Anyway, my point is, had I been offended that Bobby had sat down at my table, or thought ill of him for doing it, thinking it was bad manner or not "his station" to do such a thing with a customer, look what nice company I would have missed too and not known about this nice,again I say good looking lol, younger man had a family, wants to serve his country, has served his country and believes in God too? He was polite, he was a good waiter and he had manners, but he was also personable to a lady sitting alone who had a smile on her face and made him feel ok about it. Again, it was a lovely lunch and I am very glad that a young waiter today, surprised me and sat at my table with me for a moment as we started to talk food,lol :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Manners and Manners

Vivian,

Red Lobster isn't bad here- I'm sure with all the competition, they have to keep up! That place has some good bread, too!

It's so nice to hear that you had a nice lunch and a good chat -- and that our young men and women in the service and out are still interested in serving the country. I worry, at first glance it seems like a lot of the young people today are self-centered, but then there are so many under 25 who are joining because they believe in America. As a long time military family, with many members in many branches, that warms my heart.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

Red Lobster isn't bad here- I'm sure with all the competition, they have to keep up! That place has some good bread, too!

It's so nice to hear that you had a nice lunch and a good chat -- and that our young men and women in the service and out are still interested in serving the country. I worry, at first glance it seems like a lot of the young people today are self-centered, but then there are so many under 25 who are joining because they believe in America. As a long time military family, with many members in many branches, that warms my heart.

warmed mine too and i didnt think it inappropriate at all. Hey, have you ever had the coconut shrimp? I didnt think i would like it but i am hooked on it!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: "How Nice!"

Mair ... Your comment about a Southern woman reminded me of a joke. I can't tell the joke here or I'd be banned forever from B&N bookclubs, but if a Southern woman says "How nice" to you--BEWARE!

Later--

Mair

Okay ... now you have me in suspense! :smileywink:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
Mair ... Your comment about a Southern woman reminded me of a joke. I can't tell the joke here or I'd be banned forever from B&N bookclubs, but if a Southern woman says "How nice" to you--BEWARE!

Later--

Mair

Okay ... now you have me in suspense! :smileywink:

Cindersue:

No wonder people look at me funny when I say that" I say that all the time" especially when I talk to strangers." Yes, I am very friendly. Where have you been???Been missing you! "how Nice"
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

warmed mine too and i didnt think it inappropriate at all. Hey, have you ever had the coconut shrimp? I didnt think i would like it but i am hooked on it!

Wow, Vivian, that is my favorite. That is usually what I have too at Red Lobster when I go, and of course I love Scallops also. Sometimes I have them. But I guess I am far enought away from the coast around 250 miles or so that our Red Lobster being in the center of our mall does tons of business. You have trouble getting in the parking lot and then sometimes there is a 20 minute wait.......Mexican food has never been my thing. At a mexican restaurant, when I am going with someone who likes mexican. I order the taco salad which I like the American way of fixing them, sirlion, chopped with tomato and lettuce chopped up in it, and a taco seasoning and sour cream and taco sauce. I love them that way.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Kikar ...
people look at me funny when I say that" I say that all the time" especially when I talk to strangers." Yes, I am very friendly. Where have you been???Been missing you! "how Nice"

I've been this way and that. :smileywink: I'm on chapter 19, so trying to catch up on the threads. I can't believe whatchamacallit did that to blonde. grrr And the little guy had fun with the other woman and than did that to her. Who would've thought! hehehe Great book! I've been reading while I'm driving ... at stop lights that is. Hope to catch up on all the threads soon. After all, you know that one character in the book, you know, the older one, man she's fun! hehehehe :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
Kikar ...
people look at me funny when I say that" I say that all the time" especially when I talk to strangers." Yes, I am very friendly. Where have you been???Been missing you! "how Nice"

I've been this way and that. :smileywink: I'm on chapter 19, so trying to catch up on the threads. I can't believe whatchamacallit did that to blonde. grrr And the little guy had fun with the other woman and than did that to her. Who would've thought! hehehe Great book! I've been reading while I'm driving ... at stop lights that is. Hope to catch up on all the threads soon. After all, you know that one character in the book, you know, the older one, man she's fun! hehehehe :smileywink:

reading and driving??? OK, when we meet, I do ALL the driving :smileywink:, "whatchamacallit did that to blonde and...the little guy had fun with the other woman" LOL. your worse than me with names. Colleen would just say, YEAH I REMEMBER! lol :smileywink:
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

No coconut shrimp for me - I don't eat out often, and when I do, at Red Lobster, I get the lobster. There's a steak house nearby where I eat prime rib most of the time, too... those are my two favorites.

Goodness - I didn't realize how much I love food. It's starting to look like this conversation belongs in the Food Talk section!
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

No coconut shrimp for me - I don't eat out often, and when I do, at Red Lobster, I get the lobster. There's a steak house nearby where I eat prime rib most of the time, too... those are my two favorites.

Goodness - I didn't realize how much I love food. It's starting to look like this conversation belongs in the Food Talk section!

You know Stephanie, most of our conversations revert back to food! I wonder why! Its because Dot writes about the wonderful world of food and adventure. That is the reason we are going to get Biggar! ha.
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

You know Stephanie, most of our conversations revert back to food! I wonder why! Its because Dot writes about the wonderful world of food and adventure. That is the reason we are going to get Biggar! ha.

I started ATkins today. I was doing Alli but it's um, anti social.

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Dot,

What's Alli? Since I can't even imagine your being anti-social, I'd say that's definitely not right for you!
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 47 members 267 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: