Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Etcetera, etcetera



dotfrank wrote:
THANK GOD y'all get y sense of humor. It's a little bawdy and dry sometimes but here goes the explanations for a few things:

DIRTY WATER DOGS = yes, in NYC, sold by persons of unknown origins, in a watery icky container, not a meat product, filled with so many chemicals you're not right in the head for days if you eat one and they cause instantaneous gastro blastointestinitis. (Not available in my spell check.)

Sexual Experiences - my agent thinks I should write a really hot sex scene in my next book. I do not know that I am capable of this. For some reason I have developed this habit of writing funny sex scenes and funny sex writing is acceptable among my family members. What do y'all think? Should I try my hand at this? (no pun intended.)

Interracial marriage - I am surprised that no one has brought this up. is this because it is a non-issue to my readers or is it too sensitive?




Dot, you asked for an opinion, so here goes: Don't write a steamy sex scene. Why does your agent think this is necessary? First, I don't think it's "you" and second, I don't think your readers would care one way or the other. Your books are about so much more than that, it might detract. And I would just have to skip that part, myself, because I'm very young and innocent. :smileyvery-happy:

Dirty water dogs are GREAT! Whatsamatta with you's guys? And there's another little joke about why they're "dirty water" dogs... not many restrooms free to the public in the city, and anyway, would YOU leave your hotdog cart unattended? Really though, I'm sure it's just a joke.

Interracial marriage - honestly Dot, it didn't even cause me to blink. I had actually forgotten all about it. I just loved Priscilla. There's a little ring of "Cinderella" in that name too, I thought it was a great choice.
Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages, Quotes - P. 273

Miriam comes face to face with Charles in her home - Show stopper-one-liner!

"Hello, Charles," I said, and offered my cheek for him to kiss, which he did after a moment's hesitation. "So glad you could join us."

"Miriam! You look absolutely incredible! I barely.....I mean, it's shocking!"

"Call me Mellie, Charles. Miriam is in a closet waiting to die."
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages, P. 267

[ Edited ]
I was touched by this moment. Mellie comes to understand her mother. Frailness of life.

No, this was something particular in her eyes, not a light that was fading but as though her eyes were trying to memorize me, freeze-frame the moment, and tuck it away in the pocket of the gown she intended to wear into eternity. She would show my ancestors these pictures of her time spent in my family's life just like photographs of events of which she was especially proud or those that had given her something sublime that she had stolen away with her passing to share.

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-16-2007 04:47 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Funny Lines turning point - P. 265

Today I was reminded of this great line. In discussing the subject of what it can feel like when viewing art, a woman I was talking to said she had watched a program on TV, in which a nun in [full habit] explains [expertly] the experience you feel when viewing certain paintings. She's standing there with raised arms and expounds, "I could just lick it!" Hum....well, I've never quite gotten to that point, but it did remind me of what Mellie said about Harrison.

He leaned in and kissed my cheek. He smelled so good I wanted to lick him and felt that crazy flutting thing traveling all through the southern climes. Let me assure you that in the entirety of all my days, I had never felt the urge to lick anyone. But Mellie was not Miriam, and Mellie, despite the recent hoodwinking, was determined to enjoy every minute possible of the rest of her life.
Frequent Contributor
CAT72
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages, Quotes and Funny Lines



Hildegard1 wrote:
I just want a parrot!

KathyH




Me too, but I want it in my 8th grade classroom so I can't get blamed for saying things to the kids. :smileytongue:
UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Frequent Contributor
CAT72
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Etcetera, etcetera



dotfrank wrote:
THANK GOD y'all get y sense of humor. It's a little bawdy and dry sometimes but here goes the explanations for a few things:

DIRTY WATER DOGS = yes, in NYC, sold by persons of unknown origins, in a watery icky container, not a meat product, filled with so many chemicals you're not right in the head for days if you eat one and they cause instantaneous gastro blastointestinitis. (Not available in my spell check.)

Sexual Experiences - my agent thinks I should write a really hot sex scene in my next book. I do not know that I am capable of this. For some reason I have developed this habit of writing funny sex scenes and funny sex writing is acceptable among my family members. What do y'all think? Should I try my hand at this? (no pun intended.)

Interracial marriage - I am surprised that no one has brought this up. is this because it is a non-issue to my readers or is it too sensitive?




I don't care what you choose to write about because every thing you write is wonderful and full of fabulous and funny quotes. However in today's changing world it might be awesome to write about a woman who chooses to have a child on her own. Just something to think about.
UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages, Quotes and Funny Lines

:smileyvery-happy: What do you do when the parrot sounds exactly like you? Nice try, Cat!

Kathy S.

CAT72 wrote:


Hildegard1 wrote:
I just want a parrot!

KathyH




Me too, but I want it in my 8th grade classroom so I can't get blamed for saying things to the kids. :smileytongue:


Frequent Contributor
CAT72
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages, Quotes and Funny Lines



KathyS wrote:
:smileyvery-happy: What do you do when the parrot sounds exactly like you? Nice try, Cat!

Kathy S.

CAT72 wrote:


Hildegard1 wrote:
I just want a parrot!

KathyH




Me too, but I want it in my 8th grade classroom so I can't get blamed for saying things to the kids. :smileytongue:







:smileyhappy: LOL...blame it on the parrot of course. :smileytongue:
UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

from page 87 and 161

*This is from page 87 in case you haven't read that far.


When Miriam caught her mother smoking pot she was mortified and she called home to Kevin to complain. Kevin was telling her to settle down and be easy on her mother.

(Miriam) "But she's old enough to know better that's for sure."
"So what do you propose to do about it? Send her to the Betty?"
"Very funny. No. I'm going to have a talk with her and then I'm coming home. I actually called to tell you I'm coming home early"
"Well you know I would love it if you did, but I think you should stay. When you talk to her, try not to do it from the saddle of a high horse, okay?"



page 161
When Miriam was talking to Liz.

(Miriam) "I've met someone who might be fun to be with."
"You did? Tell me about him. Did you tell Kevin?"
"Honey, Kevin knows when I pluck an eyebrow."




Dot, you really crack me up!! :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:
Author
dotfrank
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎06-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Etcetera, etcetera

How weird you say that because that is what I am writing now.




CAT72 wrote:


dotfrank wrote:
THANK GOD y'all get y sense of humor. It's a little bawdy and dry sometimes but here goes the explanations for a few things:

DIRTY WATER DOGS = yes, in NYC, sold by persons of unknown origins, in a watery icky container, not a meat product, filled with so many chemicals you're not right in the head for days if you eat one and they cause instantaneous gastro blastointestinitis. (Not available in my spell check.)

Sexual Experiences - my agent thinks I should write a really hot sex scene in my next book. I do not know that I am capable of this. For some reason I have developed this habit of writing funny sex scenes and funny sex writing is acceptable among my family members. What do y'all think? Should I try my hand at this? (no pun intended.)

Interracial marriage - I am surprised that no one has brought this up. is this because it is a non-issue to my readers or is it too sensitive?




I don't care what you choose to write about because every thing you write is wonderful and full of fabulous and funny quotes. However in today's changing world it might be awesome to write about a woman who chooses to have a child on her own. Just something to think about.



Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.


Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages, Quotes - P. 273



KathyS wrote:
Miriam comes face to face with Charles in her home - Show stopper-one-liner!

"Hello, Charles," I said, and offered my cheek for him to kiss, which he did after a moment's hesitation. "So glad you could join us."

"Miriam! You look absolutely incredible! I barely.....I mean, it's shocking!"

"Call me Mellie, Charles. Miriam is in a closet waiting to die."




That was touching! or touche! Wow! the nerve of some men;
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages, P. 267



KathyS wrote:
I was touched by this moment. Mellie comes to understand her mother. Frailness of life.

No, this was something particular in her eyes, not a light that was fading but as though her eyes were trying to memorize me, freeze-frame the moment, and tuck it away in the pocket of the gown she intended to wear into eternity. She would show my ancestors these pictures of her time spent in my family's life just like photographs of events of which she was especially proud or those that had given her something sublime that she had stolen away with her passing to share.

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-16-2007 04:47 PM




yes, we go through life sometimes fearing death, sometimes fearful of events that might escaluate premature death. But then, when it goes full circle, life is, you still have to face it , head on. And Mellie did, death of a love one. I knew death because of my father dying so young, but when my mother died, I too, saw so much of what Mellie saw. The frailness, the eyes that revealed so much love for me and the life we had endured together. It all comes at you at once, and then you can accept your fate also, alot better.
Frequent Contributor
CAT72
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Etcetera, etcetera

Awesome!! As always can't wait to read it. :smileyhappy:



dotfrank wrote:
How weird you say that because that is what I am writing now.




CAT72 wrote:


dotfrank wrote:
THANK GOD y'all get y sense of humor. It's a little bawdy and dry sometimes but here goes the explanations for a few things:

DIRTY WATER DOGS = yes, in NYC, sold by persons of unknown origins, in a watery icky container, not a meat product, filled with so many chemicals you're not right in the head for days if you eat one and they cause instantaneous gastro blastointestinitis. (Not available in my spell check.)

Sexual Experiences - my agent thinks I should write a really hot sex scene in my next book. I do not know that I am capable of this. For some reason I have developed this habit of writing funny sex scenes and funny sex writing is acceptable among my family members. What do y'all think? Should I try my hand at this? (no pun intended.)

Interracial marriage - I am surprised that no one has brought this up. is this because it is a non-issue to my readers or is it too sensitive?




I don't care what you choose to write about because every thing you write is wonderful and full of fabulous and funny quotes. However in today's changing world it might be awesome to write about a woman who chooses to have a child on her own. Just something to think about.





UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages, P. 267

That passage touched me too - so elegant and so full of emotion.



KathyS wrote:
I was touched by this moment. Mellie comes to understand her mother. Frailness of life.

No, this was something particular in her eyes, not a light that was fading but as though her eyes were trying to memorize me, freeze-frame the moment, and tuck it away in the pocket of the gown she intended to wear into eternity. She would show my ancestors these pictures of her time spent in my family's life just like photographs of events of which she was especially proud or those that had given her something sublime that she had stolen away with her passing to share.

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-16-2007 04:47 PM


Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Page 194

Liz had the same visceral reactions on the drive to Sullivans Island as I always did. Glistening water, short docks dropped along the water's edge o tilted pilings, while small boats bobbed alongside them, the high-tide marks in the marsh grass, erosion lines in mud banks home to the white-and-gray craggy oyster beds, birds everywhere -- only the coldest heart could have remained unmoved.


This Liz had a similiar reaction reading this paragraph as the novel's Liz had viewing the scene. Dot's books all abound with this wonderful imagery of South Carolina, and they always make me want to do the same thing: get on a plane to South Carolina!!! I definitely will one day; I'll visit Sullivans Island, Shem Creek, & the Isle of Palms and will wander around shameless soaking in the views ... eating all the delicious foods ... and looking for the characters from the books!! :smileyvery-happy:
Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
Liz1017
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages, Quotes and Funny Lines

Wow... The lines that drew me into the book were the first few lines ( I don't have my book with me at work.. lol!) about Miriam's parents and their honeymoon and the description of them eating their mango for breakfast. Mangoes have always been a sensous, sultry, exotic almost forbidden fruit to me. They are just so perfect in every way that I'm afraid they might not exist... you know, too good to be true! But Dot just captured that feeling when she wrote about the mango taking the sleep out of their mouths... Maybe someone could find that passage for me.

- Liz
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

mangoes


Liz1017 wrote:
Wow... The lines that drew me into the book were the first few lines ( I don't have my book with me at work.. lol!) about Miriam's parents and their honeymoon and the description of them eating their mango for breakfast. Mangoes have always been a sensous, sultry, exotic almost forbidden fruit to me. They are just so perfect in every way that I'm afraid they might not exist... you know, too good to be true! But Dot just captured that feeling when she wrote about the mango taking the sleep out of their mouths... Maybe someone could find that passage for me.

- Liz




Liz,

You're right, that is a good one. I think this is the part you were talking about.


Prologue

This describes the honeymoon Miriam's parents took in the South Pacific which was considered exotic in those days.

...Still in their nightclothes, my mother's hair cascading in tendrils and my father's young beard stubble scratching her young complexion, they would burn away the sour paste of morning breath with a plate of sliced mangoes, dripping with fleshy sweetness, a pot of strong tea, and a rack of toast. From then on, mangoes were equated with love, tenderness, and hopeful beginnings, and we spent out lives looking everywhere for other examples of them.
Contributor
Liz1017
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: mangoes



Wrighty wrote:

Liz1017 wrote:
Wow... The lines that drew me into the book were the first few lines ( I don't have my book with me at work.. lol!) about Miriam's parents and their honeymoon and the description of them eating their mango for breakfast. Mangoes have always been a sensous, sultry, exotic almost forbidden fruit to me. They are just so perfect in every way that I'm afraid they might not exist... you know, too good to be true! But Dot just captured that feeling when she wrote about the mango taking the sleep out of their mouths... Maybe someone could find that passage for me.

- Liz




Liz,

You're right, that is a good one. I think this is the part you were talking about.


Prologue

This describes the honeymoon Miriam's parents took in the South Pacific which was considered exotic in those days.

...Still in their nightclothes, my mother's hair cascading in tendrils and my father's young beard stubble scratching her young complexion, they would burn away the sour paste of morning breath with a plate of sliced mangoes, dripping with fleshy sweetness, a pot of strong tea, and a rack of toast. From then on, mangoes were equated with love, tenderness, and hopeful beginnings, and we spent out lives looking everywhere for other examples of them.




Perfect! Yes! That is my favorite passage... one that has stuck with me through the entire book. Thank you, Wrighty!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: mangoes


Liz1017 wrote:
Perfect! Yes! That is my favorite passage... one that has stuck with me through the entire book. Thank you, Wrighty!




You're very welcome. Happy to help!
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: mangoes


Liz1017 wrote:


Wrighty wrote:

Liz1017 wrote:
Wow... The lines that drew me into the book were the first few lines ( I don't have my book with me at work.. lol!) about Miriam's parents and their honeymoon and the description of them eating their mango for breakfast. Mangoes have always been a sensous, sultry, exotic almost forbidden fruit to me. They are just so perfect in every way that I'm afraid they might not exist... you know, too good to be true! But Dot just captured that feeling when she wrote about the mango taking the sleep out of their mouths... Maybe someone could find that passage for me.

- Liz




Liz,

You're right, that is a good one. I think this is the part you were talking about.


Prologue

This describes the honeymoon Miriam's parents took in the South Pacific which was considered exotic in those days.

...Still in their nightclothes, my mother's hair cascading in tendrils and my father's young beard stubble scratching her young complexion, they would burn away the sour paste of morning breath with a plate of sliced mangoes, dripping with fleshy sweetness, a pot of strong tea, and a rack of toast. From then on, mangoes were equated with love, tenderness, and hopeful beginnings, and we spent out lives looking everywhere for other examples of them.




Perfect! Yes! That is my favorite passage... one that has stuck with me through the entire book. Thank you, Wrighty!


So many foods are aphrodisiacs to people. What is for one may not be for another, but there is something sensual about some foods. I bet a lot of us in here have some sensual experience that is also food related.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 280 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: