Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Liz1017
0 Kudos

Re: mangoes

"So many foods are aphrodisiacs to people. What is for one may not be for another, but there is something sensual about some foods. I bet a lot of us in here have some sensual experience that is also food related."
___________________________________________________________________________________

Viv, I am so fat right now that you'd think I'd been having a LOVE affair with ALL food!! Well, all except for the onion! YUCK!!!

- Liz
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: mangoes

[ Edited ]

Liz1017 wrote:
"So many foods are aphrodisiacs to people. What is for one may not be for another, but there is something sensual about some foods. I bet a lot of us in here have some sensual experience that is also food related."
___________________________________________________________________________________

Viv, I am so fat right now that you'd think I'd been having a LOVE affair with ALL food!! Well, all except for the onion! YUCK!!!

- Liz

mmmm. I love onions! in about anything...hey and no calories too! :smileywink: and hey, none of us are really FAT, maybe like i like to say, just beautifully "Reubenesque" :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-17-2007 05:48 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

Re: Etcetera, etcetera

Well the reason I mentioned it is b/c I am considering doing this myself. Actually I guess I should not say considering, but in the process.

dotfrank wrote:
How weird you say that because that is what I am writing now.

CAT72 wrote:

dotfrank wrote:
THANK GOD y'all get y sense of humor. It's a little bawdy and dry sometimes but here goes the explanations for a few things:

DIRTY WATER DOGS = yes, in NYC, sold by persons of unknown origins, in a watery icky container, not a meat product, filled with so many chemicals you're not right in the head for days if you eat one and they cause instantaneous gastro blastointestinitis. (Not available in my spell check.)

Sexual Experiences - my agent thinks I should write a really hot sex scene in my next book. I do not know that I am capable of this. For some reason I have developed this habit of writing funny sex scenes and funny sex writing is acceptable among my family members. What do y'all think? Should I try my hand at this? (no pun intended.)

Interracial marriage - I am surprised that no one has brought this up. is this because it is a non-issue to my readers or is it too sensitive?

I don't care what you choose to write about because every thing you write is wonderful and full of fabulous and funny quotes. However in today's changing world it might be awesome to write about a woman who chooses to have a child on her own. Just something to think about.

UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Frequent Contributor
kathleenOH
0 Kudos

Re: Quote for Dot

Dot:

While this was not in your book - I just read it and thought that you might appreciate it.

"Loafing is the most productive part of a writer's life." - James Norman Hall

See laying at the beach can be written off on your taxes.
Kathleen - Ohio
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

kathleenOH wrote:
Dot:

While this was not in your book - I just read it and thought that you might appreciate it.

wow; my kind of loathing! at the beach that is; any other occupations that require this? I know! I know ! No! Way!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

CAT72 wrote:

However in today's changing world it might be awesome to write about a woman who chooses to have a child on her own. Just something to think about.

Well, I for one cannot wait to read that! What an excellent premise! Dot, I don't know what I'll do when you decide to retire from writing. A new title from Dorothea Benton Frank just means summer to me.
Stephanie
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Stephanie - when I decide to retire y'all can all come over to my house and we will sit on the porch and tell the same stories, not remembering that we heard them! I alaways tell Peter that he can tell lme the same joke again and I won't remember having heard it!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

kathleenOH wrote:
Dot:

Then I have had a landmark day! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

new fan

Stephanie wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

CAT72 wrote:
However in today's changing world it might be awesome to write about a woman who chooses to have a child on her own. Just something to think about.

Well, I for one cannot wait to read that! What an excellent premise! Dot, I don't know what I'll do when you decide to retire from writing. A new title from Dorothea Benton Frank just means summer to me.

I'll be reading that one as soon as it comes out. I am a new and forever fan of Dot's! I picked up a copy of Saving Grace yesterday. I'm passing the Mango book to my mom. I'm singing your praises where ever I go. How did I ever miss these books before??
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Foretelling? - Passage - Page 60

Brooding and ominous:

Pelicans swooped down on unsuspecting brim and drum, gobbling them up for snacks. Birds of prey circled, their keen eyes zeroing in on rabbits and squirrels, which all went about their innocent daily business in the thicket unaware that death was on the way.

I wondered if this was a fortelling of the future. I know that it is in reference to developers of this area, but it still gave me a feeling of something other than the obvious.

K.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages, Quotes and Funny Lines

I have to get a few more of my favorite quotes on here before it's time to go. There are so many it's hard to choose but I'll give it a whirl.

(pg 175) Miriam is on the treadmill trying to get in shape for the wedding and a voice in her head starts talking to her.

You'll care when this wedding happens and you have to face Charles and Judith. I broke a sweat born of terror. Dear Lord, please take fifteen pounds of fat from my body and I'll never ask for another thing. Thank you, Lord, amen. P.S. If You are so inclined, please throw in tone for my upper arms.

Thank you Dot, I'm going to share that prayer with all of my friends! :smileyvery-happy:
KathyS
0 Kudos

I'd forgotten that one....so funny!

Wrighty wrote:
I have to get a few more of my favorite quotes on here before it's time to go. There are so many it's hard to choose but I'll give it a whirl.

(pg 175) Miriam is on the treadmill trying to get in shape for the wedding and a voice in her head starts talking to her.

You'll care when this wedding happens and you have to face Charles and Judith. I broke a sweat born of terror. Dear Lord, please take fifteen pounds of fat from my body and I'll never ask for another thing. Thank you, Lord, amen. P.S. If You are so inclined, please throw in tone for my upper arms.

Thank you Dot, I'm going to share that prayer with all of my friends! :smileyvery-happy:

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

I was on my treadmill this morning cussing in ten languages and pouring sweat. Then Debbie came in and told me cardio is old hat now that it's all about stretching??/ Is this true?

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

I was on my treadmill this morning cussing in ten languages and pouring sweat. Then Debbie came in and told me cardio is old hat now that it's all about stretching??/ Is this true?

LOLOL, I think the real truth of it all, is what we have always known to begin with, healthy diet,(diet meaning way of life eating not..new thing to lose weight) no over eating or eating cause its there lol, and any kind of good exercise that works your muscles that you dont work a lot anyway. Cardio is always good for the heart and organs, stretching is good for the muscles. Find some exercises that are some of both that you can do and you enjoy doing. Eat right and move, its just that. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

Dot, stretching and cardio is always a good thing....I try to work it in at least once or twice a day....that's why I keep my liquor in a cabinet above my head....those flabby arms get a nice workout...., lifting and hefting those gallon jugs! Stretching! And then the long reaches into the freezer compartment for ice, that helps too..... never fails to firm the face muscles, and gets the blood circulating..........and as far as my waist area, that just comes with the territory, ....after I drop the ice cubes on the floor! I'm always missing the glass, hitting the rim and watching them bounce cross the kitchen floor....running in place takes care of this situation! Cardio! I'm also a great believer in ecology, I keep my lights off in the kitchen. But inadvertently, I'll miss one of those ice cubes on the floor, and stepping inot one of those cold puddles in my bare feet, it really gives me the urge to dance!.......cardio! I could go on and on, but simply put, exercise is in the eyes of JB...and nice eyes he beholds, too!
Kathy

dotfrank wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

exercise?

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:
Dot, stretching and cardio is always a good thing....I try to work it in at least once or twice a day....that's why I keep my liquor in a cabinet above my head....those flabby arms get a nice workout...., lifting and hefting those gallon jugs! Stretching! And then the long reaches into the freezer compartment for ice, that helps too..... never fails to firm the face muscles, and gets the blood circulating..........and as far as my waist area, that just comes with the territory, ....after I drop the ice cubes on the floor! I'm always missing the glass, hitting the rim and watching them bounce cross the kitchen floor....running in place takes care of this situation! Cardio! I'm also a great believer in ecology, I keep my lights off in the kitchen. But inadvertently, I'll miss one of those ice cubes on the floor, and stepping inot one of those cold puddles in my bare feet, it really gives me the urge to dance!.......cardio! I could go on and on, but simply put, exercise is in the eyes of JB...and nice eyes he beholds, too!
Kathy

Now that's a program I could get used to! It also has more benefits than just weight lose. Although if I enjoy the benefits too much I won't remember the program! :smileywink:

Message Edited by Wrighty on 08-02-2007 10:53 PM
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: exercise?

True, Debbie, you never want to over-do a good thing! But after awhile it doesn't really matter about the program, the benefit is, it becomes pretty painless! :smileyvery-happy:

Wrighty wrote:

KathyS wrote:
Kathy

Now that's a program I could get used to! It also has more benefits than just weight lose. Although if I enjoy the benefits too much I won't remember the program! :smileywink:

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

You are so funny! Well, if its stretching now, it was cardio a time back and now the stretching is getting old, but play tell what is next! I know the "tango" Oh well, I tried anyway!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: exercise?

KathyS wrote:
True, Debbie, you never want to over-do a good thing! But after awhile it doesn't really matter about the program, the benefit is, it becomes pretty painless! :smileyvery-happy:

Wrighty wrote:

KathyS wrote:
Kathy

if you enjoy that program too much,yeah you wont remember it alright lol and it will be painless, cause as the song from MASH is titled...Suicide is Painless! lol. If you think about it too, female alcoholics tend to be skinny (and worn looking) but male alcoholics can be either skinny or fat more often. Thats the beer factor, all those calories, thus the beer bellied men lol. Well some women too. Yep, you wont care or remember if you enjoy that program too much, you are right wrighty :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
THANK GOD y'all get y sense of humor. It's a little bawdy and dry sometimes but here goes the explanations for a few things:

DIRTY WATER DOGS = yes, in NYC, sold by persons of unknown origins, in a watery icky container, not a meat product, filled with so many chemicals you're not right in the head for days if you eat one and they cause instantaneous gastro blastointestinitis. (Not available in my spell check.)

Sexual Experiences - my agent thinks I should write a really hot sex scene in my next book. I do not know that I am capable of this. For some reason I have developed this habit of writing funny sex scenes and funny sex writing is acceptable among my family members. What do y'all think? Should I try my hand at this? (no pun intended.)

Interracial marriage - I am surprised that no one has brought this up. is this because it is a non-issue to my readers or is it too sensitive?

I never heard of "dirty dogs."
I think you should write a hot sex scene. Your sex scenes now are flaming and intriguing, and leads my imagination to a deeper thought. LOL :smileywink:

Interracial ... I must have read right over that. :smileywink: Never bothered me. :smileywink:
Users Online
Currently online: 71 members 1,146 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: