Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Meatloaf

Ok, i got you two beat on a Meatloaf recipe even tho I said i wasnt doing recipes on here lol. This is my all time favorite and when I first ran across this, I thought, no way. Here ya go.
In a large bowl mix the following ingredients,do not substitute, I tried and its not the same:
2 lbs ground beef
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 onion finely chopped
1+1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1+1/2 cups Pregresso ITALIAN seasoned breadcrumbs, the kind in the round box, may need a little more or less, you can adjust if you need too
2-3 Tablespoons KC Masterpiece original BBQ sauce
3/4 of the juice of one can of diced tomatoes (adjust as needed)
do not use any milk or any other seasoning, the Italian breadcrumbs and KC Masterpiece will season it soooo good.
combine all ingredients and pat into your loaf pan
THEN, add the drained diced tomatoes on top, covering the meat. I had never done this before and always used tomato sauce in the meat and thought, well this will just burn the tomatoes on top and cant be good but oh how wrong i was.

Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for about 45 minutes.

This is great, slices great, has a wonderful smell and the KC gives it a bit of a smokey taste and the tomatoes taste good on top. I had a friend and her two kids stay with me for 3 months when she was going through a divorce and I made this and she took some with her to work and warmed in the microwave and she said it tasted wonderful the next day even just heated that way and the whole office was asking her for the recipe just from smelling it. She had me make one for her to take to them and they all loved it. You can put a little catsup on it the next day if you want it a little moister but doesnt need it. I would use catsup for a sandwich instead of mayo tho to keep that smokey taste to it. It really is good, the breadcrumbs may need adjusting according to your beef and how large the eggs are, but go by feel when you are mixing it. The KC you dont want to overdo,you want just that nice taste of smokey, dont pour it on lol. This is a real winner. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Kathy,

I love your meatloaf tips- I use all the same things you do, but it's nice to know what the ingredients do - the eggs, for instance. I think I'll use two from now on, instead of one.

I have a tip in return - when you put the catsup on top, mix in some brown sugar. It's not as cloying as barbecue sauce would be, but it does add a nice sweetness and takes out some of the acidity of the catsup.

Yeah! that is a great tip, Stephanie! Thanks!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Ok, i got you two beat on a Meatloaf recipe even tho I said i wasnt doing recipes on here lol. This is my all time favorite and when I first ran across this, I thought, no way. Here ya go.
In a large bowl mix the following ingredients,do not substitute, I tried and its not the same:
2 lbs ground beef
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 onion finely chopped
1+1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1+1/2 cups Pregresso ITALIAN seasoned breadcrumbs, the kind in the round box, may need a little more or less, you can adjust if you need too
2-3 Tablespoons KC Masterpiece original BBQ sauce
3/4 of the juice of one can of diced tomatoes (adjust as needed)
do not use any milk or any other seasoning, the Italian breadcrumbs and KC Masterpiece will season it soooo good.
combine all ingredients and pat into your loaf pan
THEN, add the drained diced tomatoes on top, covering the meat. I had never done this before and always used tomato sauce in the meat and thought, well this will just burn the tomatoes on top and cant be good but oh how wrong i was.

Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for about 45 minutes.

This is great, slices great, has a wonderful smell and the KC gives it a bit of a smokey taste and the tomatoes taste good on top. I had a friend and her two kids stay with me for 3 months when she was going through a divorce and I made this and she took some with her to work and warmed in the microwave and she said it tasted wonderful the next day even just heated that way and the whole office was asking her for the recipe just from smelling it. She had me make one for her to take to them and they all loved it. You can put a little catsup on it the next day if you want it a little moister but doesnt need it. I would use catsup for a sandwich instead of mayo tho to keep that smokey taste to it. It really is good, the breadcrumbs may need adjusting according to your beef and how large the eggs are, but go by feel when you are mixing it. The KC you dont want to overdo,you want just that nice taste of smokey, dont pour it on lol. This is a real winner. :smileywink:

I like this receipe also! Thanks Viv.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

I love meatloaf! And, with all the variations, we can have it more often! :smileywink: I've never tried cornmeal, but I'll have to. I add dry onion soup and bread crumbs to mine (boring hun?) LOL But I'll have to mixing with other ingredients. Thanks for all the hints. Never to late to teach an old dog new tricks. hehehe :smileywink:
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Are you sick of Meatloaf yet?

[ Edited ]
I hit my enter key twice and ended up, once again, with a second post...sorry

Now I guess I'll give you another variation of a Martha Stewart's Meatloaf! This one really sounds interesting!!!!

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=159552

Message Edited by KathyS on 08-04-2007 06:37 PM
KathyS
0 Kudos

Glad you want to venture out! I had a chemistry set when I was a kid, does that say anything? :smileyvery-happy: But if you're not bored with what you fix, then don't change a thing. Here is a recipe I found by someone who got it from Martha Stewart's show.

http://www.geocities.com/~mollicafamily/cookbook/r_meatloaf_martha_stewart.htm

cindersue wrote:
I love meatloaf! And, with all the variations, we can have it more often! :smileywink: I've never tried cornmeal, but I'll have to. I add dry onion soup and bread crumbs to mine (boring hun?) LOL But I'll have to mixing with other ingredients. Thanks for all the hints. Never to late to teach an old dog new tricks. hehehe :smileywink:

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Yes, Cindersue, I have used the onion soup mix and bread crumbs before too. I love different ways of making meat loaf. It can be dullsville, making meatloaf, the stable everyone relies on, so its nice to have a hundred varieties, waiting for it.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Are you sick of Meatloaf yet?

KathyS wrote:

Now I guess I'll give you another variation of a Martha Stewart's Meatloaf! This one really sounds interesting!!!!

Wow, Kathy, that is some kind of different meatloaf. It doesnt sound like it would even taste like our tradional meatloaf and its alot of trouble it seems. I am going to get the receipe and keep it but I don't know when I will use it. Maybe if I have the Queen of England over for dinner and she want s the stable for American life.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

cindersue wrote:

Yes, Cindersue, I have used the onion soup mix and bread crumbs before too. I love different ways of making meat loaf. It can be dullsville, making meatloaf, the stable everyone relies on, so its nice to have a hundred varieties, waiting for it.

have you guys ever made your meatloafs in muffin tins? They make individual servings, nice crust and you dont have to slice to serve. Also you can freeze them easily in ziploc bags to have just when you may be in the mood for one. Works really good actually and kinda cute on a plate :smileywink: (Oh and not in paper cupcake wrappers lol,just in the muffin pans of course hehe)

I have used liptons onion soup too until this recipe with the little bit of KC Masterpiece original, man that gives it such a nice smokey flavor. No other bbq sauce tastes the same, it tastes too must like BBQ instead of that slight tang and smoke of KC. Good stuff!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

cindersue wrote:

have you guys ever made your meatloafs in muffin tins? They make individual servings, nice crust and you dont have to slice to serve. Also you can freeze them easily in ziploc bags to have just when you may be in the mood for one. Works really good actually and kinda cute on a plate :smileywink: (Oh and not in paper cupcake wrappers lol,just in the muffin pans of course hehe)

I have used liptons onion soup too until this recipe with the little bit of KC Masterpiece original, man that gives it such a nice smokey flavor. No other bbq sauce tastes the same, it tastes too must like BBQ instead of that slight tang and smoke of KC. Good stuff!

Viv; I love that idea! The muffin tins. Great! Will definitely try that!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Are you sick of Meatloaf yet?

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Wow, Kathy, that is some kind of different meatloaf. It doesnt sound like it would even taste like our tradional meatloaf and its alot of trouble it seems. I am going to get the receipe and keep it but I don't know when I will use it. Maybe if I have the Queen of England over for dinner and she want s the stable for American life.

:smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: My sentiments, exactly!
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 1,037 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: