Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Mount Prospect Historical Society

Viv, I'd make you a pie. But it may not make it across the states. LOL Or the P.O. may eat it! LOL :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Kiakar ... I don't know if substitute sugar would work either say like splendor. Probably wouldnt give it enought texture. Oh well, this is getting to be a dieter's special delight. If it would work. Even Viv could eat it(the whole pie that it)

I heard you can bake with splendor, but I haven't tried it yet. Should try it. I don't know how it would be mixed with bread crumbs, since it is so fine. Better mix blueberries in for Viv. :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: baked goods - yum!

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
I love pumpkin pie. Other than that, my very favorite is homemade deep dish peach cobbler! One made like in a 9x12 dish with the top crust in a lattice across it and enough cinnamony flour inside that when the juices mix with it you get that wonderful thick filling thats so tasty! Love that. Berry pies, I have never liked blackberry, they grow wild here and you can kill yourself trying to pick them from the prickly bushes but I just dont like the taste of blackberry, blueberry yes! Chocolate cream is good. Strawberry cream cheese is good. But for just a really yummy pie that to me is an old comfort food, its definately a homemade peach cobbler. :smileyhappy:

I'm gaining weight just reading this! It all sounds soooo delicious!! I think I'll go make some banana bread for my kids. They love it and we always have some over ripe bananas around. I may even get a piece of it if I'm really quick. Otherwise I could lose a finger if I don't reach fast enough. My kids are pigs!

LOL. Making me hungry for sweets this convo is. :smileywink: I love banana bread. My mom used to make it all the time. I lost her recipe. Can you share yours?

Someone told me about blackberry and apple pie. I wonder what's that like. :smileyindifferent:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Cindersue & Blackberry Pie

mairwill wrote:
Cindersue--

Thanks so much for the Blackberry Pie recipe. I'm going to make it this weekend. I cheat and use Pillsbury pie crusts in the refrigerator sector of the grocery.

Later-

Mair

Then it's sure to be a hit ... just like mine! :smileywink: Happy baking :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
Mair, that's not "cheating" - it's a creative shortcut! :smileyhappy:

mairwill wrote:
Cindersue--

Thanks so much for the Blackberry Pie recipe. I'm going to make it this weekend. I cheat and use Pillsbury pie crusts in the refrigerator sector of the grocery.

Later-

Mair

Creative shortcut ... yes! Definitely! I like that! :smileywink:
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Chunky milk!

Thanks, anyway...I'm not into straining my milk between my teeth...or eating it! That's what they make cottage cheese for! :smileyvery-happy:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:
Linda,
I love left over pie dough, all slathered with butter, cinnamon and sugar, then rolled into logs - cut in small pinwheels, and definately cooked in the oven! All crispy and hot out of the oven...mm, mm, good! Oh, yeah, don't forget that tall glass of ice cold milk to wash every last finger lick'n morsel down!....Memories of childhood!.....! You eat it your way, and I'll suck up every last calorie my way! :smileyvery-happy:

Kathy S.

You are so right! Kathy S., I will have mine with buttermilk! I mean the kind with the butter in it, the fat, fat, fat, kind.

My dad used to drink buttermilk. But I just can't handle *chunks* in my milk! :smileyvery-happy:
K.

The chunks is what is so good!!!!!

Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Stephanie ... My son (11) did some research on one-room schoolhouses last year. I've directed him to your site. He thinks it's fabulous.

Awesome ... I hope he enjoyed it. We interviewed people in the area that attended one room schoolhouses. They told us their experiences. It turned to be a cute discussion. It airs on our local tv station.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Chunky milk!

KathyS wrote:
Thanks, anyway...I'm not into straining my milk between my teeth...or eating it! That's what they make cottage cheese for! :smileyvery-happy:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:
Linda,
I love left over pie dough, all slathered with butter, cinnamon and sugar, then rolled into logs - cut in small pinwheels, and definately cooked in the oven! All crispy and hot out of the oven...mm, mm, good! Oh, yeah, don't forget that tall glass of ice cold milk to wash every last finger lick'n morsel down!....Memories of childhood!.....! You eat it your way, and I'll suck up every last calorie my way! :smileyvery-happy:

Kathy S.

You are so right! Kathy S., I will have mine with buttermilk! I mean the kind with the butter in it, the fat, fat, fat, kind.

My dad used to drink buttermilk. But I just can't handle *chunks* in my milk! :smileyvery-happy:
K.

The chunks is what is so good!!!!!

Oh! I adore cottage cheese too! Especially if its the big hunky type.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
Viv, I'd make you a pie. But it may not make it across the states. LOL Or the P.O. may eat it! LOL :smileywink:

Well then, I may just have to come next year and eat it there huh? lol We KNOW we cant send it through the HOOTERVILLE mail system here!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

I'm gaining weight just reading this! It all sounds soooo delicious!! I think I'll go make some banana bread for my kids. They love it and we always have some over ripe bananas around. I may even get a piece of it if I'm really quick. Otherwise I could lose a finger if I don't reach fast enough. My kids are pigs!

LOL. Making me hungry for sweets this convo is. :smileywink: I love banana bread. My mom used to make it all the time. I lost her recipe. Can you share yours?

Someone told me about blackberry and apple pie. I wonder what's that like. :smileyindifferent:

I love banana Nut bread, made with Pecans, not walnuts. OH YUM!!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

cindersue wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

I love banana Nut bread, made with Pecans, not walnuts. OH YUM!!

Wow! now that is some good stuff! Good night all!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

I love buttermilk and found out that it tastes great with salt in it, yummm. Cottage cheese? think tomatoes and add some ketchup to it lol. Thats how I used to eat it as a kid lol. Sometimes still do, it looks really nasty but actually tastes good lol, after all its cheese and tomatoes! lol, Ok I can see the hands going up of all you who turned green on that but honest, try it!
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

I love buttermilk and found out that it tastes great with salt in it, yummm. Cottage cheese? think tomatoes and add some ketchup to it lol. Thats how I used to eat it as a kid lol. Sometimes still do, it looks really nasty but actually tastes good lol, after all its cheese and tomatoes! lol, Ok I can see the hands going up of all you who turned green on that but honest, try it!

My hands are up! Just kidding! Sounds good! Now, the last time, I will say this, Good night mm
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Cindy,
We have it often so I cheat too and just use the recipe on the back of the Bisquik or Jiffy mix box. It's so easy and good too! Let me know if you can't get it from there or want a different one.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

cindersue wrote:

Cindy,
We have it often so I cheat too and just use the recipe on the back of the Bisquik or Jiffy mix box. It's so easy and good too! Let me know if you can't get it from there or want a different one.

you cheat on banana bread!! :smileysurprised: ;(
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

cindersue wrote:

Cindy,

you cheat on banana bread!! :smileysurprised: ;(

No, that's what I call a creative shortcut! I love Those easy mixes. Thanks Wrighty, I'll look. :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Cindersue--

The pie is made! Thank goodness I put it on a cookie sheet because I used more than the 4 cups blackberries that your recipe said because I had a deep dish pie crust (frozen because that's all they had at the store I went to). I have eaten all the "run off" on the cookie sheet and it is so good. Can't wait to eat the pie tonight. It looks pretty, too.

Thanks again for the recipe.

Later--

Mair
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Everyone loved the pie!!!

Cindersue--

Everyone loved the pie! Bragged and bragged on it.

Thanks again for sharing the recipe.

Later--

Mair
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Everyone loved the pie!!!

Cindersue;

I haven't made the pie yet, but I sure gonna try it. And I will try the low fat version just to see if it will work. (not correct english grammar) but hey wanted to sound southern and country! Cause me, not ashamed of my roots. ha.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
Stephanie ... My son (11) did some research on one-room schoolhouses last year. I've directed him to your site. He thinks it's fabulous.

Awesome ... I hope he enjoyed it. We interviewed people in the area that attended one room schoolhouses. They told us their experiences. It turned to be a cute discussion. It airs on our local tv station.

Gee I wish we could get that around here. Maybe they could put some of those video clips on the website. Probably cost a fortune though. I would love for my kids to be able to see those interviews.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 259 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: