Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

How to make a smoothie!

http://allrecipes.com:80/HowTo/Making-a-Healthy-Smoothie-Video/Detail.aspx?ARBMID=1154&ARFMTID=1
KathyS
0 Kudos

Full of Grace - leftovers!

Stephanie, I forgot about this recipe, Grace sent it to me last year, she said she thought your kids might like to make them. And it's even easy enough for you to make too! :smileyhappy:

Pinwheel Italian Calzones

Once you try these mini calzones, you may never go back to fixing the large ones again! These come together in a snap and are a great way to sneak a few veggies into your kid's diet. The best part is they are small so it makes it easy for little hands to pick up and eat. Plus they taste like pizza and there's even a dipping sauce!

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 30 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 (8 ounce) can refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 (14 ounce) jar pizza sauce

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, green pepper and onion. Set aside.
Unroll the crescent roll dough and separate into 4 rectangles. Press the remaining perforations together to seal. Spread the filling evenly onto the rectangles. Roll up the filling inside the dough starting at the short side. Slice each finished roll into four slices, and place cut side down onto a baking sheet.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. While the pinwheels are baking, warm the pizza sauce. Serve the pinwheels with pizza sauce in small cups for dipping.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Mango Margarita

[ Edited ]
I hope this isn't the yucky one! It got a good review!

Mango Margarita

INGREDIENTS
1 (10 fluid ounce) can frozen BACARDI® Mixers Margarita Mix
1/2 mango, diced
1/2 cup BACARDI® Rum
5 cups ice
Mango or lime for garnish

DIRECTIONS
Blend together BACARDI® Mixers Margarita mix, mango and BACARDI® Rum.
Add ice and blend for 45 to 60 seconds or until uniform.
Garnish with mango or lime.

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-24-2007 07:50 PM
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Mango Margarita

KathyS wrote:

Mango Margarita

INGREDIENTS
1/2 mango, diced
1/2 cup BACARDI® Rum
5 cups ice

DIRECTIONS

cindersue: This sounds like what Lynsie made for us! So try this, and see if it ain't tea tottling good!!!!! Because she made some with crushed strawberries and then with lime rind. Hope it works!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Mango Margarita

INGREDIENTS
1/2 mango, diced
1/2 cup BACARDI® Rum
5 cups ice

DIRECTIONS

cindersue: This sounds like what Lynsie made for us! So try this, and see if it ain't tea tottling good!!!!! Because she made some with crushed strawberries and then with lime rind. Hope it works!

hey thanks Kiakar, I knew we would get one going before the club was up lol. Will have to try it but maybe virgin lol, ok that would defeat the purpose huh? LOL :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Mango Margarita

INGREDIENTS
1/2 mango, diced
1/2 cup BACARDI® Rum
5 cups ice

DIRECTIONS

hey thanks Kiakar, I knew we would get one going before the club was up lol. Will have to try it but maybe virgin lol, ok that would defeat the purpose huh? LOL :smileywink:

I believe it would, Miss Vivico! Let's be straight now! Yeah! The right way!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Mango Margarita

INGREDIENTS
1/2 mango, diced
1/2 cup BACARDI® Rum
5 cups ice

DIRECTIONS

well i do know i love Bacardi Rum lol, or did. Rum makes you feel so mellow.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Mango Margarita

INGREDIENTS
1/2 mango, diced
1/2 cup BACARDI® Rum
5 cups ice

DIRECTIONS

So use Rum, Viv, and we will have an entirely new receipe to ponder:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Mango Margarita

INGREDIENTS
1/2 mango, diced
1/2 cup BACARDI® Rum
5 cups ice

DIRECTIONS

kiakar, you tired or drinking this recipe.. IT USES RUM!! ROFL, not a new recipe to ponder silly! :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Mango Margarita

INGREDIENTS
1/2 mango, diced
1/2 cup BACARDI® Rum
5 cups ice

DIRECTIONS

kiakar, you tired or drinking this recipe.. IT USES RUM!! ROFL, not a new recipe to ponder silly! :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

Oh! yeah! I am getting somwhat tired! hahahahah
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

speaking of food...eating right!

Just a little something I thought I would share with you about foods.

Yesterday I went to the doctor for my yearly physical. My blood pressure was high, my cholesterol was high, I'd gained some weight, and I didn't feel so hot. My doctor said eating right doesn't have to be complicated and it would solve my physical problems. He said just think in colors; Fill your plate with bright colors; **greens**, **yellows**, **reds**,etc.
I went right home and ate an entire bowl of M&M's and sure enough,
I felt better immediately. I never knew eating right could be so easy*. :smileywink:
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: speaking of food...eating right!

vivico1 wrote:
Just a little something I thought I would share with you about foods.

Yesterday I went to the doctor for my yearly physical. My blood pressure was high, my cholesterol was high, I'd gained some weight, and I didn't feel so hot. My doctor said eating right doesn't have to be complicated and it would solve my physical problems. He said just think in colors; Fill your plate with bright colors; **greens**, **yellows**, **reds**,etc.
I went right home and ate an entire bowl of M&M's and sure enough,
I felt better immediately. I never knew eating right could be so easy*. :smileywink:

You know I can't resist, Vivico hahahaha
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathy,

Okay, I've got a whole meal here... dinner and drinks! I'm excited to try those calzones with the kids- wonder if I've got crescent rolls on hand? I'll have to take a trip to the store if I don't. Pretty sure I've got all the other ingredients on hand.

Wonder if I could make those margaritas sans alcohol for the kids? I'm sure the rum gives it a lot of flavor... maybe adding a little dash of vanilla extract for a boozy flavor? Or would that just be repellent? :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Cindersue & Blackberry Pie

mairwill wrote:
Cindersue--

The pie is made! Thank goodness I put it on a cookie sheet because I used more than the 4 cups blackberries that your recipe said because I had a deep dish pie crust (frozen because that's all they had at the store I went to). I have eaten all the "run off" on the cookie sheet and it is so good. Can't wait to eat the pie tonight. It looks pretty, too.

Thanks again for the recipe.

Later--

Mair

Oh whoops ... p.s. Put pie on cookie sheet before baking. It likes to run! LOL But boy is it tasty! Enjoy :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Everyone loved the pie!!!

kiakar wrote:
Cindersue;

I haven't made the pie yet, but I sure gonna try it. And I will try the low fat version just to see if it will work. (not correct english grammar) but hey wanted to sound southern and country! Cause me, not ashamed of my roots. ha.

Gotta make it. I need to buy more blackberries and try it with low fat sour cream. Made two pies on Sunday for a party. I think I'm turning into a blackberry! hehehe :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Mount Prospect Historical Society

Stephanie wrote:

cindersue wrote:
Stephanie ... My son (11) did some research on one-room schoolhouses last year. I've directed him to your site. He thinks it's fabulous.

Awesome ... I hope he enjoyed it. We interviewed people in the area that attended one room schoolhouses. They told us their experiences. It turned to be a cute discussion. It airs on our local tv station.

Gee I wish we could get that around here. Maybe they could put some of those video clips on the website. Probably cost a fortune though. I would love for my kids to be able to see those interviews.

That's a great idea, Stephanie. I could see if we have any extra copies of the taping around. I'll let you know.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Mango Margarita

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds like the one Kiakar suggested. :smileywink: Great minds think alike. :smileywink:

I have to dig out my other recipes. Been busy this week.
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

I'm starving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And, ahem, I'm a little parched . . .)

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Mount Prospect Historical Society

cindersue wrote:

That's a great idea, Stephanie. I could see if we have any extra copies of the taping around. I'll let you know.

Please do! That would be incredible - what a learning experience.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Food Talk

Stephanie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Seems as though we always end up talking about food, cooking, drinks, etc., whenever we read Dottie's books, so here's a place to keep all those thoughts on one page.

Reply to this thread with your favorites, recipes (Twinksista? This means you, too!) and any links you might want to share.

I will give my receipe for making Oyster stew

I buy fresh oysters already packed in containers with their juice.
I guart container of oysters with 2 quarts of milk.
Cook the oysters until they are wrinkled up and the juice boils good. Usually aftr they get hot, it takes only a few minutes. Low heat so you will not burn them.
After that, add the butter salt and pepper and stir until melted on low heat. Then add the milk and stir around until the milk begins to bubble and then remove.Add and eat with lots of oyster crackers for a wonderful treat. We have this every Christmas eve and Christmas morning. Usually get at least a gallon of oysters for this feast. It always best to buy oysters from October until February, that is in the warmer climates. For fresh oysters anyway.
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 662 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: