Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Food Talk

Hi Everyone,

Seems as though we always end up talking about food, cooking, drinks, etc., whenever we read Dottie's books, so here's a place to keep all those thoughts on one page.

Reply to this thread with your favorites, recipes (Twinksista? This means you, too!) and any links you might want to share.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Food Talk

LOL - Could it be because there's always mention of food throughout the books? :smileyvery-happy:

It's a great idea, and I'm looking adding some recipes!
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
LOL - Could it be because there's always mention of food throughout the books? :smileyvery-happy:

It's a great idea, and I'm looking adding some recipes!

OK - I quit smoking and hit that "personal summer" stage of life and make my living sitting on my fanny so therefore I am STARVING all the time and gaining weight anyway! I conclude therefore that writing about food causes weight gain. Talking about it is my cardio for the day. Whew! I feel thiner already!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Baklava and Tzatziki sauce

[ Edited ]
Since we're in the Greek mood...Here is my favorite Greek dessert: Take your pick!

http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/searchResults?searchString=Baklava&site=food&searchType=Recipe&g...

Also, Gyros, I'm crazy for...but I've never made them. But the sauce that goes on it is to die for...actually it's good just as a dressing on a salad. Pretty easy. Slice your meat (if you make it - lamb)and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese.

Tzatziki Sauce:
16 ounces plain yogurt
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
Pinch kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced

Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-15-2007 10:24 PM
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Seems as though we always end up talking about food, cooking, drinks, etc., whenever we read Dottie's books, so here's a place to keep all those thoughts on one page.

Reply to this thread with your favorites, recipes (Twinksista? This means you, too!) and any links you might want to share.

Stephanie - do we know anyone at Good Morning AMerica? I heard over the weekend that they are filming in Charleston this Friday and are looking for authors who cook!

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Dot,

I don't, but I think you should give them a call! That would be a hoot, and then we'd get to see you in action!
Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

I can see it now! The networks will be buzzing! The phones ringing off the hook! GET DOT FRANK HERE, NOW! WE WANT HER FOR A OUR NEW COOKING SHOW! Can't you picture this?! :smileyvery-happy:
p.s....do you think she'd do it? :smileywink:

Kathy S.

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

I don't, but I think you should give them a call! That would be a hoot, and then we'd get to see you in action!

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Baklava and Tzatziki sauce

KathyS wrote:
Since we're in the Greek mood...Here is my favorite Greek dessert: Take your pick!

http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/searchResults?searchString=Baklava&site=food&searchType=Recipe&g...

Also, Gyros, I'm crazy for...but I've never made them. But the sauce that goes on it is to die for...actually it's good just as a dressing on a salad. Pretty easy. Slice your meat (if you make it - lamb)and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese.

Tzatziki Sauce:
16 ounces plain yogurt
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
Pinch kosher salt
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
5 to 6 mint leaves, finely minced

Place the yogurt in a tea towel, gather up the edges, suspend over a bowl, and drain for 2 hours in the refrigerator.
Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid; discard liquid. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the drained yogurt, cucumber, salt, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and mint. Serve as a sauce for gyros. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-15-2007 10:24 PM

Sounds good!
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

Turns out it's CBS - but ya;ll should watch if you can because Charleston is so pretty.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

Turns out it's CBS - but ya;ll should watch if you can because Charleston is so pretty.

The Early Show?
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Well, Stephanie; what else is it when you have got the best reading n the world. What is next, F O O D !
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

I know, I have been and its a beautiful city.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Food Talk/ u go girl

Speaking of food, I would like to brag on someone in here and hope she doesn't mind. Miss Cindersue lives up Chicago way and works for a historical society, which is cool enough but, I try to donate to that historical society a little when I can and so I get their newsletter of events and things. Welllll, I just got one today and read about a Pie Baking Contest they had in her home town. And guess who won the Celebrity Judge Choice Award- judged by the Mayor, the president of the Chamber of Commerce, the Executive Director of same and an officer of the police dept??? drumroll please....for her Blackberry Sour Cream pie, Miss Cindersue! WELL DONE! :smileywink: Congrats there girl. I am sure we can all appreciate a good pie. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

Congrats, Cindersue!

Well done! Does this mean we get the pie recipe? Please, please, please??? I love blueberry pie!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Congrats, Cindersue!

Kathy,

I'm sorry, I just can't resist ...

I'm betting you could sub in blueberries, but Cindersue's is a blackberry pie. Your blueberry loving tastebuds are fogging up your glasses! :smileyvery-happy:

Cindersue: Congratulations! That's way cool. I always wanted to enter a cooking/baking contest, but I've never had the nerve.

I'll second Kathy's request, can we have the recipe, or is it a secret, because it's a prize winner?
Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Oops! Sorry, Cindersue for the blunder! It's been so darn hot here, my glasses do get fogged up, or maybe I drooled on them before I put them on! I love any kind of berry pie, and blackberry is right up there with blueberry. Er...maybe it's just pie in general I like? Or food.....?

Kathy S.

Stephanie wrote:
Kathy,

I'm sorry, I just can't resist ...

I'm betting you could sub in blueberries, but Cindersue's is a blackberry pie. Your blueberry loving tastebuds are fogging up your glasses! :smileyvery-happy:

Cindersue: Congratulations! That's way cool. I always wanted to enter a cooking/baking contest, but I've never had the nerve.

I'll second Kathy's request, can we have the recipe, or is it a secret, because it's a prize winner?

Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Want my blackberry sour cream pie recipe? LOL For a small donation to the historical society I'll be glad to give it to you. ROFL JK :smileyvery-happy:

It's an old family recipe ... not! :smileywink: I had to bake a couple of pies for our pie event, and I had not a clue what to bake. (I wasn't even at the event.) I was at my physical therapist (for rotator cuff treatment) and I said, I need to bake two pies, it has to be quick and simple. What should I do? :smileyindifferent: She said, well, my favorite is blackberry sour cream. She printed a recipe off the internet and said, this is close to what my mom makes. So, I made them (also caught an error in the recipe, said flour when should have been sugar), and I won! LOL Now you know my secret! I will send it tomorrow as I'm upstairs and it's down. Thanks for the applause! hehehe :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
Well done! Does this mean we get the pie recipe? Please, please, please??? I love blueberry pie!

Blueberry anything is my favorite, too Kathy! :smileywink:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
Want my blackberry sour cream pie recipe? LOL For a small donation to the historical society I'll be glad to give it to you. ROFL JK :smileyvery-happy:

It's an old family recipe ... not! :smileywink: I had to bake a couple of pies for our pie event, and I had not a clue what to bake. (I wasn't even at the event.) I was at my physical therapist (for rotator cuff treatment) and I said, I need to bake two pies, it has to be quick and simple. What should I do? :smileyindifferent: She said, well, my favorite is blackberry sour cream. She printed a recipe off the internet and said, this is close to what my mom makes. So, I made them (also caught an error in the recipe, said flour when should have been sugar), and I won! LOL Now you know my secret! I will send it tomorrow as I'm upstairs and it's down. Thanks for the applause! hehehe :smileywink:

Cindersue that terrific! Congratulations! Does your PT know that you won with her recipe yet? :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Cindersue that terrific! Congratulations! Does your PT know that you won with her recipe yet? :smileyhappy:

ROFL, yes she does. My last appt. was the following Tuesday. I brought her a blackberry sour cream pie. I said, Natalie, we won! :smileyvery-happy: While I was finishing up, she gave me a slice of the pie, my very first piece! hehehe :smileyvery-happy:
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 719 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: