Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Yep - my eamil is dot@dotfrank.com thanks!

CAT72 wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

CAT72 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

CAT72 wrote:
Will be glad to tell them hello for you...actually Litchfield Books is where I say you this year for your book signing....I was at my parents villa while I was on Spring Break (usually I see you in Charlotte).
Have been enjoying much beer and seveal Margaritas while here this week.

Awww...books, villa, spring break, beer and margaritas! What magical words! I'm soooo jealous. :smileytongue:

I know...the life of a school teacher is great right now....no responsibilites, no stress, etc. However this is just recovery time from the grind of teaching school. I teach 8th Grade SC History and I love my job and my babies but it sure does help to have some time to decompress from the school year.

I saw Dot during the first week of her book tour while I was on Spring Break...Needless to say I had just returned the week before from taking about 240 students to Charletson to get a first hand taste of history. It was great fun but I was definitely glad to have Spring Break.

I remember you! How are you?

Doing great!! How are you? I need to send you a copy of the picture we took. Is there an email address that would be good? I would love it if there was a way to work out you coming to my school next year and speaking to my students about SC History and writing.

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: spring break

Whatever it is, I will try it! I am a spring breaker, a winter maker, and a summer dipper, Oh! I forgot fall! A Autumn drifter. And whatever my friends are doing! hehehe

Maybe we should all get together ... than that truly would be "Girls Gone Wild!" hehehe :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

Hey Dot
Just got back from Litchfield Books and told they you said hello back. I spent way too much money buying books, but I go through them so fast and needed a few more for the rest of my summer. Any good suggestions....besides yours of course since I have read them all and reread most of them.

CAT

dotfrank wrote:
Yep - my eamil is dot@dotfrank.com thanks!

CAT72 wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

CAT72 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

CAT72 wrote:
Will be glad to tell them hello for you...actually Litchfield Books is where I say you this year for your book signing....I was at my parents villa while I was on Spring Break (usually I see you in Charlotte).
Have been enjoying much beer and seveal Margaritas while here this week.

Awww...books, villa, spring break, beer and margaritas! What magical words! I'm soooo jealous. :smileytongue:

I know...the life of a school teacher is great right now....no responsibilites, no stress, etc. However this is just recovery time from the grind of teaching school. I teach 8th Grade SC History and I love my job and my babies but it sure does help to have some time to decompress from the school year.

I saw Dot during the first week of her book tour while I was on Spring Break...Needless to say I had just returned the week before from taking about 240 students to Charletson to get a first hand taste of history. It was great fun but I was definitely glad to have Spring Break.

I remember you! How are you?

Doing great!! How are you? I need to send you a copy of the picture we took. Is there an email address that would be good? I would love it if there was a way to work out you coming to my school next year and speaking to my students about SC History and writing.

UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

REad - THE INHERITANCE OF LOSS, LULU MEETS GOD AND DOUBTS HIM, and WATER FOR ELEPHANTS. Don't forget THE QUEEN OF BROKEN HEARTS too!

Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

Thanks...I did pick up the Queen of Broken Hearts. I'll check the others out in about a week/ maybe 2 when the 3 I picked up today are finished.

dotfrank wrote:
REad - THE INHERITANCE OF LOSS, LULU MEETS GOD AND DOUBTS HIM, and WATER FOR ELEPHANTS. Don't forget THE QUEEN OF BROKEN HEARTS too!

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

THE QUEEN OF BROKEN HEARTS is written by CAssandra King who is really Sandra Conroy, Pat's wife and just about the nicest woman on the planet!

Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

I would love to meet her someday....I finished THE SUNDAY WIFE a couple of weeks ago, so I am definitely looking forward to THE QUEEN OF BROKEN HEARTS. My dad knows Pat Conroy b/c they were at The Citadel at the same time.

dotfrank wrote:
THE QUEEN OF BROKEN HEARTS is written by CAssandra King who is really Sandra Conroy, Pat's wife and just about the nicest woman on the planet!

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Here's wierd - my father went to the Citadel.

Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

Well, both of my parents are from the LOW COUNTRY - Dad from Kingstree and mom from Ridgeland. I grew up in the UP COUNTRY but spent a lot of time in the LOW COUNTRY. I always loved going to Charleston and seeing The Citadel. I love taking my 8th grade students to Charleston and sharing that experience with them each year.

dotfrank wrote:
Here's wierd - my father went to the Citadel.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

They sound like some great books. I am going to the bookstore and browse today. Not to many funds to buy too many! Just a gift certificate some kind person gave me! hehehe (anyone is kind who gives me a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble)
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

CAT72 wrote:
I would love to meet her someday....I finished THE SUNDAY WIFE a couple of weeks ago, so I am definitely looking forward to THE QUEEN OF BROKEN HEARTS. My dad knows Pat Conroy b/c they were at The Citadel at the same time.

dotfrank wrote:

I just remembered, I have read that book. Another online pal and I read it together and we really enjoyed it. It was a wonderful story with lots to discuss afterwards.
New User
LisaD
0 Kudos

Hello everyone! I'm a bit of a newbie to the online B&N book club, and I'm glad to be here! My friends and I have a book club of our own, and we are discussing Mango Sunsets this week. I am in the process of searching for some fun mango recipe to serve my guests...I am open to ideas/suggestions! :smileyhappy:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LisaD wrote:
Hello everyone! I'm a bit of a newbie to the online B&N book club, and I'm glad to be here! My friends and I have a book club of our own, and we are discussing Mango Sunsets this week. I am in the process of searching for some fun mango recipe to serve my guests...I am open to ideas/suggestions! :smileyhappy:

Hi there Lisa, welcome to the club. Its a good book isnt it? There is a thread on here now because we do talk a lot about food LOL, not a lot of mango recipes other than for margaritas lol, but on the thread Food Talk, or something like that, I bet if you ask there, something might pop up, or someone might aim you at some. Enjoy :smileywink: Vivian
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
LisaD
0 Kudos

Hi Vivian! Thank you! The book was great--when I was finished, I wanted to keep reading and find out what was going to happen next! As for the Food Talk thread, I did discover it; it is one of my favorite topics as well. :smileyhappy: I read the discussion about the mango margaritas, but then Dot replied saying that they weren't good...which suits me fine b/c I'm not a margarita girl so much. I will keep searching... :smileyhappy:
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

I'd go for a mango salsa recipe and I'll be there are all things mango at Epicurious.com! And welcome to the group - please tell your bookclub I said HI and thanks for reading the book!

Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

Hi this is Janet from Central Florida. I am really late signing on, but I read the book, just before the discussion group started.
Last year, I participated in the "Full of Grace" discussion group, and I really enjoyed it. I noticed many return visitors this time as well as a healthy group of newcomers.

I started reading books by Dot as an "educational experience." I grew up in MA and just moved to FL when I turned 50. Now I am just plain addicted to these books. Dot has me believing that I have lived a very deprived life because I only know SC from driving route 95 north.

I look forward to participating in this book group. Happy to learn the "beach music" is Motown. My educational experience continues.
I love Motown.

Janet
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi Janet, nice 'seeing' you again! Glad you could join us, it's always good to hear another voice!

Kathy S.
Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:
Hi this is Janet from Central Florida. I am really late signing on, but I read the book, just before the discussion group started.
Last year, I participated in the "Full of Grace" discussion group, and I really enjoyed it. I noticed many return visitors this time as well as a healthy group of newcomers.

I started reading books by Dot as an "educational experience." I grew up in MA and just moved to FL when I turned 50. Now I am just plain addicted to these books. Dot has me believing that I have lived a very deprived life because I only know SC from driving route 95 north.

I look forward to participating in this book group. Happy to learn the "beach music" is Motown. My educational experience continues.
I love Motown.

Janet

As a native South Caroinian I wanted to say WELCOME. Yes, you have definitely missed out if you only know SC from I95. If you get the chance you should dinitely visit the Paletto State.
New User
LisaD
0 Kudos

Thanks, Dot! I will give that website a try....I have been looking for a mango salsa but it seems like the recipes I find are more of a fish or chicken topping rather than a salsa for chips or crackers. Who knows!
I was disappointed that I wasn't able to attend your signing for this book this year--I always go when you come to the Charlotte B&N, so maybe next year. My book club is looking forward to discussing your book though.

Thanks and take care :smileyhappy:
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Hi Janet and welcome back! Take 95 N to 17 N and stop in Charleston! It's so pretty but right now it's just as hot as FL. I'm thinking about spending some time there from Thanksgiving to Christmas to eat my quota of oysters and walk the foggy beach. Let me know if you go!

homereader wrote:

I love Motown.

Janet

Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 242 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: