Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

dotfrank wrote:

Twinksista wrote:
Hi! In some of Dottie's books, my recipes are given, using my nickname: Mimi

Hope you'll try our family recipe for OYSTER STEW:

Scald one qt. milk in a three qt., heavy pot. (This is done over med. heat, pot uncovered and milk left in pot till steam rises, but milk not boiling.)

Meanwhile: Chop a small onion (about 2-3" in diameter), finely;
Chop an equal amount of celery, finely.
Saute' these ingredients in a approximately 2 tablespoons of butter or
margerine, till soft. Add this to the milk. (Sometimes I just put the
three ingredients in a glass cup, cover and microwave till soft.)

Add: 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg, 2 dashes of red pepper - or a couple of shakes of Tabasco Sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Break about 10 Saltine crackers into the mixture. Add a pint of small or medium oysters, with the juice and steam in the soup mixture-just till the edges of the oysters begin to curl. Stir this slowly so nothing sticks to the pot. Serve hot or warm, adding a tablespoon of sherry or vermouth to each bowl. YUM !!! Love, Twinksista

If Mimi says to use the nutmeg, use the nutmeg!

Yes, Ma'am!
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Twinksista wrote:

Scald one qt. milk in a three qt., heavy pot. (This is done over med. heat, pot uncovered and milk left in pot till steam rises, but milk not boiling.)

Add: 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg, 2 dashes of red pepper - or a couple of shakes of Tabasco Sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Break about 10 Saltine crackers into the mixture. Add a pint of small or medium oysters, with the juice and steam in the soup mixture-just till the edges of the oysters begin to curl. Stir this slowly so nothing sticks to the pot. Serve hot or warm, adding a tablespoon of sherry or vermouth to each bowl. YUM !!! Love, Twinksista

Yes, Ma'am!

And, the red pepper. My sister is the best cook in the world. No lie. (Love you, Lynn!)

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Twinksista wrote:

Yes, Ma'am!

This should go in the food section and more people will see it: There are so many ways people cook food, most of the time its the way their family enjoys it. So someone that has never had oyster stew any other way, would probably love this. So move it. This is a very brilliant way of enhancing the stew but my gang loves oysters so much and do not like onion or celery or nutmeg so but those that do like these extra ingredients will love this mixture. It sounds delicious.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Moving Twinksista's Oyster Stew to our Food Section

Linda, I'll move this post over to the Food Section. :smileyhappy:

Kathy
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Moving Twinksista's Oyster Stew to our Food Section

KathyS wrote:

Kathy

Yeah! that will be good when I copy all the receipes. Thanks a bunch. Now go eat your clam chowder.
KathyS
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy

Yeah! that will be good when I copy all the receipes. Thanks a bunch. Now go eat your clam chowder.

No clams! It was meatloaf today.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy

Did you make it? Lets have a receipe: I do not like it especially but need a receipe for when I have to make it.
KathyS
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy

Did you make it? Lets have a receipe: I do not like it especially but need a receipe for when I have to make it.

Yes, I made it for lunch today. I don't make it that often, but when I do, I love the leftovers! You can do so many things with it. It's great for sandwiches, and fried up with melted cheese covering the top, or mix a few italian seasonings into it, and you can make a meat sauce!....ok, I'm making myself hungry again.

What is it that you don't like about it? Why would you have to make it if you don't like it? My recipes, like I'd said in the food section, are never the same twice, because I love to play with my food! :smileyvery-happy: The basic ingredient, of course, is hamburger. But it can be varied to the point of tasting like anything you want it to taste like. If you give me your likes, and dislikes, I'll try to come up with a recipe for you. How's that? :smileywink:

Kathy
KathyS
0 Kudos

Meatloaf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linda wrote:
Yes, I made it for lunch today. I don't make it that often, but when I do, I love the leftovers! You can do so many things with it. It's great for sandwiches, and fried up with melted cheese covering the top, or mix a few italian seasonings into it, and you can make a meat sauce!....ok, I'm making myself hungry again.

What is it that you don't like about it? Why would you have to make it if you don't like it? My recipes, like I'd said in the food section, are never the same twice, because I love to play with my food! :smileyvery-happy: The basic ingredient, of course, is hamburger. But it can be varied to the point of tasting like anything you want it to taste like. If you give me your likes, and dislikes, I'll try to come up with a recipe for you. How's that? :smileywink:

Kathy
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy

Kathy

I eat it, its just not my favorite. I have a friend who likes meatloaf so I make it once n a while for my friend.I use onion about 1/2large one to 2 lb. of lean beef. Chopped finely, egg beaten, chopped fined grn pepper, 1 whole, medium can of tomato sauce, 2 or 3 tablespoon of wortershire sauce. And about a cup of salted and peppered white cracker crumbs. Top with tomato sauce or tomato juice and cook for 45 min. to an hour. Oven at 450.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Kiakar wrote: I eat it, its just not my favorite. I have a friend who likes meatloaf so I make it once n a while for my friend.I use onion about 1/2large one to 2 lb. of lean beef. Chopped finely, egg beaten, chopped fined grn pepper, 1 whole, medium can of tomato sauce, 2 or 3 tablespoon of wortershire sauce. And about a cup of salted and peppered white cracker crumbs. Top with tomato sauce or tomato juice and cook for 45 min. to an hour. Oven at 450.

K.
Users Online
Currently online: 32 members 234 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: