Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Joanne,

Congratulations to the college-bound! I know you've got a big job! I have a sister sending two this summer- one to college, one to prep school. It's consuming her life right now.

Dot- I remember when you were going through this!
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Joanne,

Congratulations to the college-bound! I know you've got a big job! I have a sister sending two this summer- one to college, one to prep school. It's consuming her life right now.

Dot- I remember when you were going through this!

And Miss Stephanie: It will not be too much longer, you will be doing this also. It is exciting but alot of work and money goes into this lifechanging event.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:
...just happy to be back to "make new friends, keep the old, some are silver, some are gold." (I learned that when my daughter was a brownie, probably common knowledge for you all.

"A ring is round, it has no ends, that's how long I want to be your friend."
Second verse ... how'd you like that? :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Janet,

Great to see you again. I know all about being a transplant from the north, but four years in Mississippi cured me of ever wanting to live in the north again. I remember distinctly the first time I visited, and I was horrified to find a drug store clerk answer my sister's question by saying flatly, "yeah." Two years prior, I wouldn't have even noticed.

Yeah, Stephanie I know what you mean. LOL :smileywink: At least I don't say "ain't" ... hehehe :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
... it's also oyster season then. The beach restaurants all have steamed oysters by the dozen. They are messy to eat and work to open but holy cow, I could eat a bunch of them! You can also cehck the Charleston CVB for lots of other information.

Dot, this sounds fabulous except for one thing. I've never had steamed oysters! I love scalloped oysters, I make them every Christmas. But steamed? Are they slimy? Do you put hot sauce on them? I like oyster Rockefeller, too. Will I survive the south? :smileyindifferent:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Hi Dot, thanks for your response. I think the idea of the condo on the Isle of Palms is terrific........that would suit my family, moreso than a B&B. I will also check out the $$$$$ places that you mentioned for Thanksgiving dinner. The combo of a nice dinner and a few days in a beach location sounds just the best to me. My husband will think I am nuts when I tell him I want to go to Charleston and the Isle of Palms because a hugely popular author recommended it to me. LOL ! But....we have not established any particular Thanksgiving tradition since we have lived in FL, so it might be just the right thing to do. (If I stay on the Isle of Palms, you know I will be looking for all of your fictitious characters, LOL)

Janet from Central FL

That sounds like a fabulous idea! Go for it! I'm envious already! :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

homereader wrote:
...just happy to be back to "make new friends, keep the old, some are silver, some are gold." (I learned that when my daughter was a brownie, probably common knowledge for you all.

"A ring is round, it has no ends, that's how long I want to be your friend."
Second verse ... how'd you like that? :smileywink:

Hi Cindersue, I like that. It's news to me. I guess I didn't stick with brownies long enough to learn the second verse. LOL

Janet from Central FL
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: steamed oysters

Ha! no they aren't slimy. Slimy food is skeeve. Except for okra. Steamed oysters are firm and great with a squeeze of lemon and a shot of tobasco!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Janet,

Great to see you again. I know all about being a transplant from the north, but four years in Mississippi cured me of ever wanting to live in the north again. I remember distinctly the first time I visited, and I was horrified to find a drug store clerk answer my sister's question by saying flatly, "yeah." Two years prior, I wouldn't have even noticed.

Yeah, Stephanie I know what you mean. LOL :smileywink: At least I don't say "ain't" ... hehehe :smileywink:

But I do, cause "I ain't a Northerner and I is a Southerner. hehehe All my life!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

dotfrank wrote:
... it's also oyster season then. The beach restaurants all have steamed oysters by the dozen. They are messy to eat and work to open but holy cow, I could eat a bunch of them! You can also cehck the Charleston CVB for lots of other information.

Dot, this sounds fabulous except for one thing. I've never had steamed oysters! I love scalloped oysters, I make them every Christmas. But steamed? Are they slimy? Do you put hot sauce on them? I like oyster Rockefeller, too. Will I survive the south? :smileyindifferent:

It doesnt sound like you will survive the south, girl. Haven't you ever had good old oyster soup. Take a gallon of milk , lay it aside, cook the oysters until they are boiling , then add the milk, butter salt and pepper. It is so delicious. If you dont agree, the south will bid you good bye forever.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kiakar wrote:

cindersue wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Janet,

But I do, cause "I ain't a Northerner and I is a Southerner. hehehe All my life!

well now ya'll, now that just ain't right. I am fixin ta come up there or over there and teach ya some good speaking manners! :smileywink:

I may have an accent now from living here 30 years but I would cry if i really talked like that LOL! My real dad, geeesh our long distant bills could get high! He had that very slow longgggg southern Texas drawl, you know the one, where there is no such thing as a one syllable word. LOL. Actually, I love dialects and accents, just not Okie and the neighboring states ones very much lol. But I do like foreign accents, like Scottish and Irish and Spanish. OH baby, I could listen to Antonio Banderes all day hehe. Look at him too for that matter :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-26-2007 09:31 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Linda,

Don't rush me! I have seven years. My son already told me today how long it is until he's a teenager. And it's not long enough! My daughter's legs are getting longer after every sleep... it's going by much too fast.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

It doesnt sound like you will survive the south, girl. Haven't you ever had good old oyster soup. Take a gallon of milk , lay it aside, cook the oysters until they are boiling , then add the milk, butter salt and pepper. It is so delicious. If you dont agree, the south will bid you good bye forever.

Hey, I've had oyster soup! I think I will survive! hehehe And Dot, after you have an oyster, what do you chase that with? A shot of whiskey or a bottle of beer? hmmmmm I may adapt quite fine. :smileywink:
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Linda,

Do you think you could write the oyster stew/soup recipe out in a little more detail in the food section? My mouth started watering when I read it, but I'm not sure of how much of anything to put in.
Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Linda,

Don't rush me! I have seven years. My son already told me today how long it is until he's a teenager. And it's not long enough! My daughter's legs are getting longer after every sleep... it's going by much too fast.

It does go by in a flash. It sure doesn't feel that way when you're the kid (my youngest is counting the years, days and hours before he can drive) but it does when you're the parent. My oldest is leaving for college next month and I'm excited for him but so sad for me. He was just a baby the other day! What happened? His whole senior year was emotional for me. He had a blast but I kept thinking how everything during his last year was the end of high school. It was his last soccer game, last prom, last class trip, last yearbook (those baby pictures kill me every time!) etc.. My kids are heavily into sports and they are never without an event. I can't imagine him not being out there on the fields and courts anymore. He will be playing sports in college so that will be a whole new adventure. I haven't blubbered and boo-hooed(?) all over him but there were times I wanted to. I think the sullen, sloppy, lazy, mood swinging moments for our teens are what allow us to release them into the world instead of locking them in their rooms forever and keeping them close. I want them to spread their wings and fly but I hope they don't roost too far away. My kids are close in age and in no time at all I'll be an empty nester! :smileysad: There have definitely been times when I have dreamed about those days but not as a reality. My mom was so awesome raising us, mostly by herself, and she has always been my role model. I'm sure it hasn't always been easy but she has handled it with grace and unconditional love. Someday, I want to grow up to be a mom just like her. :smileyhappy:

OK, sorry didn't mean to get all mushy and moody here but it's just one of those days. And years.
Contributor
Twinksista
0 Kudos

Hi! In some of Dottie's books, my recipes are given, using my nickname: Mimi

Hope you'll try our family recipe for OYSTER STEW:

Scald one qt. milk in a three qt., heavy pot. (This is done over med. heat, pot uncovered and milk left in pot till steam rises, but milk not boiling.)

Meanwhile: Chop a small onion (about 2-3" in diameter), finely;
Chop an equal amount of celery, finely.
Saute' these ingredients in a approximately 2 tablespoons of butter or
margerine, till soft. Add this to the milk. (Sometimes I just put the
three ingredients in a glass cup, cover and microwave till soft.)

Add: 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg, 2 dashes of red pepper - or a couple of shakes of Tabasco Sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Break about 10 Saltine crackers into the mixture. Add a pint of small or medium oysters, with the juice and steam in the soup mixture-just till the edges of the oysters begin to curl. Stir this slowly so nothing sticks to the pot. Serve hot or warm, adding a tablespoon of sherry or vermouth to each bowl. YUM !!! Love, Twinksista
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Twinksista wrote:

Scald one qt. milk in a three qt., heavy pot. (This is done over med. heat, pot uncovered and milk left in pot till steam rises, but milk not boiling.)

Add: 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg, 2 dashes of red pepper - or a couple of shakes of Tabasco Sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Break about 10 Saltine crackers into the mixture. Add a pint of small or medium oysters, with the juice and steam in the soup mixture-just till the edges of the oysters begin to curl. Stir this slowly so nothing sticks to the pot. Serve hot or warm, adding a tablespoon of sherry or vermouth to each bowl. YUM !!! Love, Twinksista

That sounds good! I do not use any seasonings but I am sure alot of people would like that.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

That sounds good! I do not use any seasonings but I am sure alot of people would like that.

none? no salt and pepper or any seasoning?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
kiakar wrote:

none? no salt and pepper or any seasoning?

OOPS! I mean like the ones she mentioned. I use the basics salt and pepper and of course butter or margarine.
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Twinksista wrote:

If Mimi says to use the nutmeg, use the nutmeg!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 559 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: