Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Hello everyone!

I'm an old returnee, Kathy S., from HOT, DRY, and PARCHED Southern Calif. It's great to see a bunch of new, and familiar, faces - and be back into a book discussion once again.

This one's going to be a super-fine one, I'm sure of that, since it's with a couple of super-fine women, Dot and Stephanie! I'm just getting into the book now, but predict it to be another great hit for Dot, as well as for all of us! See ya'll soon!

Kathy S.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Its good to see people signing in and I hope every joins in on the discussion all month. Its like old home week with several of you here :smileywink: Hey, I noticed that several of you are big Dorothea Frank fans from other books so I have a request to make up front. No doubt there will be some talk of other books of hers but since this is my first and a few others too, and I do like what I am reading, may I ask that if other books of hers get brought up too that no one will post any spoilers about those books either? I think I will be reading some of her others and would hate to have them spoiled before I even get to see one lol. Thanks so much and good to see you guys all here, should be fun. Vivian
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
AnnMar
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone. I am retired and from southern New Jersey. This is my first D.B. Frank book, but it won't be my last. I loved it! Can hardly wait to begin the discussions tomorrow.

Ann
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:
Hi! I'm Chris and am recuperating from a total knee repacement done 2 weeks ago. I feel great and am walking around without the use of a walker or cane. I still have a lot of physical therapy to go but it's great to be able to do things on your own without having to bother your husband to do tiny things. He is pretty much doing the cooking as one of the drawbacks from major surgery is no appetite. And he is my drive buddy as he takes me to physical therapy and other places. Anyone thinking of getting one of those knee replacements, do it!

Hello Maxcat; Yes, I had one about three years ago. I can't say mine has been a bed of roses but before I couldn't walk much at all without a walker so the first year it wasn't too bad all but sometimes it would feel like it had slipped or a few pains, here and there. It was very stiff most of the time. Now, I know I need to go back but dread it because I had a setback with major surg. other things go wrong also. And I developed a digestive heart condition which usually does not happen at my age. I am 64. But now, I have to be very careful getting up, stretching my leg out as not to bend my knee when getting up. My knee swells and hurts alot when I walk. So it hasn't been great for me but not many more solutions were out there. I tried the scope and that did nothing. He said my knee joint in my right knee was completely wore out.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear that, kiakar.... this was my first knee replacement and the hospital that I went to does joint replacements only here in Charlotte and they have a zero tolerance for infection. My knee still looks like an elephant leg but the little progressions from day to day amaze my husband. I'm 58 and have acid reflux so the doctors had to be careful there on the day of surgery as I really am not supposed to lie on my back. But everything worked out. The only bad thing about the hospital was the food was terrible but I didn't have much of an appetite anyway but I bet the food had starch or glue in it as you couldn't swallow it. And the heavy duty drugs they had you on made you sleepy all day. One day I slept through physical therapy! Anyway, hope things turn out for you; knee replacements seem to be improving nowadays and you should check it out much as I know you are dreading it. I put mine off til all options were off the table.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
Liz1017
0 Kudos

Hi everyone! I'm so glad to be back here discussing another one of Dot's great books!! I'm Liz and from North Tonawanda, NY (it's by Buffalo and Niagara Falls). I can't wait to start talking about this book!
New User
Lister
0 Kudos

My name is Sherry Dever and I am happy to join the discussion of The Land of Mango Sunsets by Dortothea Benton Frank. I have read all of Dot's books and I am about halfway through this one. I am enjoying it very much. I live in Melbourne Beach, Florida which is a beautiful place and visit South Carolina every year and was just in the Holy City in April. South Carolina also has a place it my heart.
Frequent Contributor
Margeit
0 Kudos

Hello from Missouri

I am a huge Dot fan. Last year I read Full of Grace and loved it, but I missed all of the discussion. I also loved TALONS and am excited to be able to talk about it.

I had a mild stroke June 06 and it affected my left side. I have all my movement back but think it's weird that my left hand forgot where the keys are, so it's kind hard to post, but I love reading all your posts anyway and if I have something to say I will post! I checked typing books out of the library to relearn and it fixed part of it.

How can we not have a great month with just Dot? But I know we all want to discuss the book as well.
Margret
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Hello, my dear friend, KathyS. Good to be back on a discussion with you.
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Another Dot fan!

All--

It's great to be back with old friends and new ones for a discussion of another of Dot's books. I've been on all of the discussions of Dot's books.

Hi, Dot!

Hi, Steph!

Later--

Mair
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hi Liz

I'm also from the NT area as well as being another Liz! How funny!!! Welcome to the discussion!

Liz1017 wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm so glad to be back here discussing another one of Dot's great books!! I'm Liz and from North Tonawanda, NY (it's by Buffalo and Niagara Falls). I can't wait to start talking about this book!

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hey Kathy!!

It's definitely going to be a lot of fun and very interesting discussing this book with you, Dot, & Steph! Full steam ahead!!

Hope the heat and dryness doesn't get you too down! :smileyhappy:

KathyS wrote:
Hello everyone!

I'm an old returnee, Kathy S., from HOT, DRY, and PARCHED Southern Calif. It's great to see a bunch of new, and familiar, faces - and be back into a book discussion once again.

This one's going to be a super-fine one, I'm sure of that, since it's with a couple of super-fine women, Dot and Stephanie! I'm just getting into the book now, but predict it to be another great hit for Dot, as well as for all of us! See ya'll soon!

Kathy S.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
New User
BonnieJ43
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone! I have read all of Dot's books and I had the honor, privilege and thrill of meeting her in Beaufort, South Carolina a month or so ago. As corny as this sounds, her books have given me the strength to get past my ex-husband. I am so looking forward to joining the discussion.
New User
BonnieJ43
0 Kudos

Duh! It would be nice to tell you a little bit about me? :smileysurprised:) I'm from Evans, Georgia and self-employed. Sorry I didn't do this in the original post.
New User
DeniseMurphy
0 Kudos

Hi, Denise Murphy here. I currently live in upstate NY. Born and raised in NYC though. Also have a place near Wilmington, NC. I love, love, love these books. I have read and reread them so many times.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Goodness! Liz (x2), Mair, KathyS, KathyH, Linda, Debbie, Denise, Chris ... it really is the old "Dottie" crowd. I know I missed people, but I am getting older, so please don't think I don't love all of you. It's SO great to have Dot back in a book discussion, and I'm glad you all made it in here, and on time! :smileywink:

I think it's going to be a fantastic month. For those of you who are new, please, jump right in and don't be shy.
Stephanie
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

mairwill wrote:

No, no, no - the pleasure is mine! You and Kathy S!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

BEaufort? Did you say Beaufort? It's like my second most favorite place on earth! How are you?

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

NO, No, No, No! The pleasure is all mine, mine, mine!!! :smileyvery-happy:
Glad to have you home, dear lady! How's the little yellow ducky been treating you? Is she behaving herself? Just stick her head in the tub nozel if she gets out of line!
Kathy S.

dotfrank wrote:

mairwill wrote:

No, no, no - the pleasure is mine! You and Kathy S!

New User
maryflorita
0 Kudos

Hello,
Since I am new to this type of discussion, I don't know quite where to begin.
I have read almost all of Dorothea Benton Frank's books. When I was in the hospital last fall, my sister in law sent me Palm Island....I was hooked. I love all her books and her characters....The Land of Mango Sunsets...was a true to life story as we all have issues with certain family members. I would so enjoy seeing all her books made into movies. I especially like her character development. I can picture myself in all these areas of the country and feel transported there. We drove home from FL this winter and went thru some of the famous LOW COUNTRY....cannot wait to return.

I wish Dorothea would come North to sign her books.....lots of fans and admirers here. A good book is like a best friend....it is always there when you need it.

My addiction to reading is well known....does anyone remember Daphne DuMaurier?
Users Online
Currently online: 61 members 750 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: