Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!



maryflorita wrote:
Hello,
Since I am new to this type of discussion, I don't know quite where to begin.
I have read almost all of Dorothea Benton Frank's books. When I was in the hospital last fall, my sister in law sent me Palm Island....I was hooked. I love all her books and her characters....The Land of Mango Sunsets...was a true to life story as we all have issues with certain family members. I would so enjoy seeing all her books made into movies. I especially like her character development. I can picture myself in all these areas of the country and feel transported there. We drove home from FL this winter and went thru some of the famous LOW COUNTRY....cannot wait to return.

I wish Dorothea would come North to sign her books.....lots of fans and admirers here. A good book is like a best friend....it is always there when you need it.

My addiction to reading is well known....does anyone remember Daphne DuMaurier?


Welcome aboard, Maryflorita! Just start reading and responding anywhere on the board. And yes, Daphne DuMaurier was a wonderful author. I've read her, a very long time ago!

Kathy S.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!



mairwill wrote:
Hello, my dear friend, KathyS. Good to be back on a discussion with you.


Hey! Mair! You finally broke the vow of silence!.....great to see you back again! Was it the firecracker I sent you? I hope you stick around, but I know how you have to *practice* your golf game this summer, don't want to let those clubs rust up.....or your joints! LOL

Later, mater,
Kathy
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Gads, Liz-hearts, I thought I was seeing double there! Two Liz's in one book discussion! From the same town!....be still my heart(s)! And the heat hasn't helped my delirium either! One hundred and ten degress is just a little over the top for me! And lizard skin is about as close as I can get to describing myself right now! I can't believe Dot just got back from Greece! What a way to go!

Kathy

LizzieAnn wrote:
Hey Kathy!!

It's definitely going to be a lot of fun and very interesting discussing this book with you, Dot, & Steph! Full steam ahead!!

Hope the heat and dryness doesn't get you too down! :smileyhappy:



KathyS wrote:
Hello everyone!

I'm an old returnee, Kathy S., from HOT, DRY, and PARCHED Southern Calif. It's great to see a bunch of new, and familiar, faces - and be back into a book discussion once again.

This one's going to be a super-fine one, I'm sure of that, since it's with a couple of super-fine women, Dot and Stephanie! I'm just getting into the book now, but predict it to be another great hit for Dot, as well as for all of us! See ya'll soon!

Kathy S.





Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!


dotfrank wrote:
BEaufort? Did you say Beaufort? It's like my second most favorite place on earth! How are you?


OK, Dot, I am getting the impression here that I have really missed something by never visiting the Carolinas. Sooo, one day when i can afford to go on a trip that is more than a "trip on a tankful" lol, are the Carolinas where I should go? Where abouts there, and what time of year and would it be a great place for two old girlfriends who havent seen each other in ages to meet up for some girl time again?? I never heard anyone talk about the Carolinas like in here, heck the furthest east of the mississippi I have been is Chicago, but the company was TERRIFIC there lol. So do give a little travel info here, even if its some time before the funds are here to go there. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
scgal
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-09-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Hi there - this is my very first book club and the first one online as well! I am a big Dot Frank fan now residing in NC - I grew up in SC (Clemson area - Go Tigers!) and her books take me home. There's just something about being a "Carolina Girl" that never leaves you! Plantation called me back to Edisto and sweet memories of summers gone by...thank you Dot Frank! I look forward to figuring this book club thing out!
New User
Lulu77
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-09-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Hi Everyone!
Janet here from North Georgia. I have read all of D.B. Franks novels and love everyone of them! I got to visit Pawley's Island last month when I went to Charleston to pick my youngest daughter up from the Citidel. We had a great time visiting, and can't wait to go back. D.B.Frank's stories keep you so entertained and can hardly put them down once I get started. I can't wait for the next one. I am really into southern novels here lately and D.B. Frank is at the top of my list. If anyone knows of any other southern novels that are good, please let me know. I have a few, but am always looking for more. I am fixing to start reading the Revenge of the Kudz
Debutantes by Cathy Holton. And Islands by Anne River Siddons. Nice to meet ya'll!
New User
Pam5
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-09-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

[ Edited ]
Hi my name is Pam. I have read everyone of Mrs. Frank's books, and they get better as each one is written. She is my absolute favorite author! It is a tradition of mine to buy her newest release the day it is out,, no matter where I am: this May? I believe it was,, I ran in, grabbed it, checked out, and was out the door before he circled around. I had to save it for a month until we went on vacation. I almost had to send the book home w/ my mom until later, because I wanted to read it sooo bad!
Well, I can't wait till Oct. till her next book comes out, and I was searching to find out what Bull Island was about... I hope she will visit Texas, and write a book about it!!! (San Antonio? Galveston? Gruene? Dallas? Houston? any of those cities will be great! )

Message Edited by Pam5 on 07-09-2007 10:37 PM
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!


Lulu77 wrote:
Hi Everyone!
Janet here from North Georgia. I have read all of D.B. Franks novels and love everyone of them! I got to visit Pawley's Island last month when I went to Charleston to pick my youngest daughter up from the Citidel. We had a great time visiting, and can't wait to go back. D.B.Frank's stories keep you so entertained and can hardly put them down once I get started. I can't wait for the next one. I am really into southern novels here lately and D.B. Frank is at the top of my list. If anyone knows of any other southern novels that are good, please let me know. I have a few, but am always looking for more. I am fixing to start reading the Revenge of the Kudz
Debutantes by Cathy Holton. And Islands by Anne River Siddons. Nice to meet ya'll!




Viv said to tell you about The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd. It's a Southern setting. My "Mom's Group" read and reviewed it. It was great! :smileywink:
Contributor
sarahsal
Posts: 19
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

HI, all you Dot Frank fans!!!!!! This is my third discussion group of one of her books! Loved this book as much as all her others. In fact have been searching my books shelves to go back and reread Plantation. One of my "greatest book discussion moments" was when I figured something out that DBF said was right....

I am from the Heart of Illinois: Peoria. Sarah is my given name but my mom didn't like it so I was Sally until I grew up, now I'm Sarah/Sal Mother, Grandmother, Daughter....I think that makes me a "sandwich girl." Am always caring for or transporting someone....thank goodness for my family they are wonderful people who give me purpose....also, work part time as a nurse with breast cancer patients.

I had already read Mango Sunset when I found in as part of the list of books to discuss. (I haven't been real active since the new format...can't teach old dogs new tricks.)

Looking forward to the discussion....TYPE ON...........
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!


Lulu77 wrote:
Hi Everyone!
Janet here from North Georgia. I have read all of D.B. Franks novels and love everyone of them! I got to visit Pawley's Island last month when I went to Charleston to pick my youngest daughter up from the Citidel. We had a great time visiting, and can't wait to go back. D.B.Frank's stories keep you so entertained and can hardly put them down once I get started. I can't wait for the next one. I am really into southern novels here lately and D.B. Frank is at the top of my list. If anyone knows of any other southern novels that are good, please let me know. I have a few, but am always looking for more. I am fixing to start reading the Revenge of the Kudz
Debutantes by Cathy Holton. And Islands by Anne River Siddons. Nice to meet ya'll!


Lulu, hi and welcome, have you ever read any of Sue Monk Kidd's books like The Mermaid Chair? Someone said that is good and takes place in south carolina. All these are new to me lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Liz and Liz


LizzieAnn wrote:
Hi Liz

I'm also from the NT area as well as being another Liz! How funny!!! Welcome to the discussion!



Liz1017 wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm so glad to be back here discussing another one of Dot's great books!! I'm Liz and from North Tonawanda, NY (it's by Buffalo and Niagara Falls). I can't wait to start talking about this book!







Hello Lizs!

I mentioned to one of you in a previous discussion that I live about two hours south of you. What a coincidence that there is another neighbor now. I hope you're enjoying the sunshine and our two months of nice weather before the snow flies (sorry that's not a funny joke at all). It looks like this is going to be a lively discussion so I'd better hurry up and finish my reading!
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Liz and Liz


Wrighty wrote:






Hello Lizs!

I mentioned to one of you in a previous discussion that I live about two hours south of you. What a coincidence that there is another neighbor now. I hope you're enjoying the sunshine and our two months of nice weather before the snow flies (sorry that's not a funny joke at all). It looks like this is going to be a lively discussion so I'd better hurry up and finish my reading!


yeah wrighty! get busy! lol, got to have you talking too. I guess you and Kiakar are already DBF fans. Cindersue and I are new to her writings but we are here with ya. Hope you are well.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!



sarahsal wrote:
HI, all you Dot Frank fans!!!!!! This is my third discussion group of one of her books! Loved this book as much as all her others. In fact have been searching my books shelves to go back and reread Plantation. One of my "greatest book discussion moments" was when I figured something out that DBF said was right....

I am from the Heart of Illinois: Peoria. Sarah is my given name but my mom didn't like it so I was Sally until I grew up, now I'm Sarah/Sal Mother, Grandmother, Daughter....I think that makes me a "sandwich girl." Am always caring for or transporting someone....thank goodness for my family they are wonderful people who give me purpose....also, work part time as a nurse with breast cancer patients.

I had already read Mango Sunset when I found in as part of the list of books to discuss. (I haven't been real active since the new format...can't teach old dogs new tricks.)

Looking forward to the discussion....TYPE ON...........




Another midwest fan! Awesome! :smileywink: Welcome!
New User
Mozzie
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-10-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Hey everybody! I just finished reading "Land of Mango Sunsets" and I promise you, you will not be disappointed! One hint, try not to be in a public place when you finish it. I was at my daughters dance class, no good! I love all of Dot's books (can I call you that hon? Cuz I love you and everything you write!) I have to tell you a funny story about how I "acquired" this book. I live in Utah, and could not find it ANYWHERE! So, my family and I were on vacation the end of May in Georgia and South Carolina (Gods Country), and I found an autographed copy of it in the Hilton Head Walmart. I was so excited I almost cried. But, instead of sitting right there on the floor and reading it, I slipped it into my mom's cart, and told her to tell my husband and kids to give it to me for my birthday. You know, make them feel like they did something really good. So, I read it, loved it, passed it onto my mom, who read it in 2 days, and passed it to my sister. We always share your books among us girls. My only complaints are 1. You make me feel like I am depriving my kids something important in life by not living in South Carolina. Which, I have come to believe, I am, and I would like to remedy that situation, and 2. You don't write fast enough, lol! You write about my most favorite places on earth with such beauty and clarity it never fails to bring tears to my eyes. Keep up the good work, and everyone else, read quickly, it is SO worth it!
Contributor
lynna
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Hi, everyone. My name is Lynna and I live in SC. I lived for many years in the Charleston, Summerville and Goose Greek area. I love that part of the world and when I read Dorothea's books of this area I am home again. Now I live in Ridge Spring which is a small very quaint, pretty town and reminds me of the early days of Summerville, so I have a little part of home again. I hope all of you enjoyed the Mango book as much as I did and I look forward to the great conversatations that are coming.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Did you say 110º! My poor buddy! Hope you're staying cool, wet, & hydrated!! I bet any cactus plants are doing well :smileyvery-happy: !



KathyS wrote:
Gads, Liz-hearts, I thought I was seeing double there! Two Liz's in one book discussion! From the same town!....be still my heart(s)! And the heat hasn't helped my delirium either! One hundred and ten degress is just a little over the top for me! And lizard skin is about as close as I can get to describing myself right now! I can't believe Dot just got back from Greece! What a way to go!
Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
New User
scgal
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-09-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Mary Alice Monroe's books are good - The Beach House, Skyward, and Sweetgrass - as well as Mary Kay Andrews - Hissy Fit, Little Bitty Lies, and Savannah Breeze. My only complaint is that I wish all of these were longer - I read fast and hate to see the book end!!!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

[ Edited ]
Liz, thanks for the commiseration....thankfully it's cooled down today! If I had cactus, which I don't, they would be the only things surviving! I'm thankful for air conditioning, a swimming pool, water to drink....and a bunch of other things too...which I won't take up this board space [at least right now] mentioning! :smileyvery-happy:

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Did you say 110º! My poor buddy! Hope you're staying cool, wet, & hydrated!! I bet any cactus plants are doing well :smileyvery-happy: !



KathyS wrote:
Gads, Liz-hearts, I thought I was seeing double there! Two Liz's in one book discussion! From the same town!....be still my heart(s)! And the heat hasn't helped my delirium either! One hundred and ten degress is just a little over the top for me! And lizard skin is about as close as I can get to describing myself right now! I can't believe Dot just got back from Greece! What a way to go!




Message Edited by KathyS on 07-10-2007 10:06 AM
Author
dotfrank
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎06-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Maryflorita! A little known fact - I live in NJ! Where are you?


Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.


New User
laprn64
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-10-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Hello everyone! This is my first book club and very first D.B. Frank book and I am very excited to participate! I am an avid reader of just about anything and everything I can get my hands on. I am a registered nurse but haven't worked in two years due to a work-related back injury requiring two surgeries so far, the last one being a spinal fusion. I live with my husband and two daughters near Ocean City, Maryland.

Lee Ann
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 666 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: