Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

KathyS wrote:
Liz, thanks for the commiseration....thankfully it's cooled down today! If I had cactus, which I don't, they would be the only things surviving! I'm thankful for air conditioning, a swimming pool, water to drink....and a bunch of other things too...which I won't take up this board space [at least right now] mentioning! :smileyvery-happy:

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Did you say 110º! My poor buddy! Hope you're staying cool, wet, & hydrated!! I bet any cactus plants are doing well :smileyvery-happy: !

KathyS wrote:
Gads, Liz-hearts, I thought I was seeing double there! Two Liz's in one book discussion! From the same town!....be still my heart(s)! And the heat hasn't helped my delirium either! One hundred and ten degress is just a little over the top for me! And lizard skin is about as close as I can get to describing myself right now! I can't believe Dot just got back from Greece! What a way to go!

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-10-2007 10:06 AM

Well, Kathy, you have secrets?? I would have never never known! lol. hehehe
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:
Liz, thanks for the commiseration....thankfully it's cooled down today! If I had cactus, which I don't, they would be the only things surviving! I'm thankful for air conditioning, a swimming pool, water to drink....and a bunch of other things too...which I won't take up this board space [at least right now] mentioning! :smileyvery-happy:

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Did you say 110º! My poor buddy! Hope you're staying cool, wet, & hydrated!! I bet any cactus plants are doing well :smileyvery-happy: !

KathyS wrote:
Gads, Liz-hearts, I thought I was seeing double there! Two Liz's in one book discussion! From the same town!....be still my heart(s)! And the heat hasn't helped my delirium either! One hundred and ten degress is just a little over the top for me! And lizard skin is about as close as I can get to describing myself right now! I can't believe Dot just got back from Greece! What a way to go!

I have secrets? Hmm.....What secrets would those be, pray tell? My ears, and fifty million other ears eagerly await! LOL
Kathy S.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kiakar..."catfish" ROFL!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kiakar..."catfish" ROFL!

Yea! Viv, bab, are you ever so right!!!!!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Linda, did I miss the joke? Kathy S.

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kiakar..."catfish" ROFL!

Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Kiakar..."catfish" ROFL!

Sounds like it to me, too. :smileywink:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Kiakar..."catfish" ROFL!

Sounds like it to me, too. :smileywink:

:smileyhappy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyhappy: :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
Liz1017
0 Kudos

Hey LizzieAnn! I replied to your post about the Niagara Wine region! I didn't get to read this one! Great to see that North Tonawanda isn't just a blip on the map! I know you've been in these disccussions before. Good to see you back!
New User
smokeysmom
0 Kudos

HI, Joining the group late, but enthusiastically - just got the book and plan to stay up most of the night reading -- lived in South Carolina - Aiken for 5 years and now spend vacations in the low country of GA and SC -- love it!
New User
rusty1
0 Kudos

Hello everyone!I am from PA. Yes, I'm a Yankee! Please don't hold it against me! I adore every word that Dot has written. I have read all of her books. I have been to Pawleys Island,Charleston,Mt. Pleasant,Sullivan's Island,Summersville(we have Yankee friends there) and the wonderful Isle of Palms,(It's gotten a bit commercialized lately:smileysad:) I swear when I read your books I can feel the ocean breeze blowing on my face.I've got a good imagination,there sure ain't no ocean breeze here in Pa. I have been looking forward to this discussion all week. Dottie when are you going to come to the Pittsburgh area????????? I've been telling everyone to read your books. I really would like to meet you. I'm never in the Charleston area when you are. Please,we have alot of Barnes and Noble's here,and everyone here vacations in South Carolina.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kiakar..."catfish" ROFL!

No, of course not, darling.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kiakar..."catfish" ROFL!

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy S.

LizzieAnn wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kiakar..."catfish" ROFL!

No, of course not, darling.
New User
born2swim
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm Wendy from NJ. I enjoy Dot's book clubs and books. I finished this book and really liked it. I read "Full of Grace" and planned to be a member of that book club but missed it because of too much work. I would really have enjoyed that discussion since my significant other had a brain tumor so I would have had a lot to say. I was, however, a member of the previous one and loved "Pawley's Island" so much that I went down there to look for a 2nd home there.

Wendy
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Wendy

born2swim wrote:
Hi,

I'm Wendy from NJ. I enjoy Dot's book clubs and books. I finished this book and really liked it. I read "Full of Grace" and planned to be a member of that book club but missed it because of too much work. I would really have enjoyed that discussion since my significant other had a brain tumor so I would have had a lot to say. I was, however, a member of the previous one and loved "Pawley's Island" so much that I went down there to look for a 2nd home there.

Wendy

Welcome Wendy! We are all looking forward to this club. I'm so sorry to hear about your significant other. I hope things are going/went well. I have a family member who is going through chemo now for a brain tumor. She already had surgery and radiation. She has a very long ways to go with the chemo but they anticipate good results. Her cancer was very aggressive and rare but also treatable. Is that what Full of Grace is about? I was going to get that a couple of times but haven't yet.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Wendy

Wendy,

Did you get the 2nd home on Pawley's?
Stephanie
Contributor
Twinksista
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hey there, Vivian from Oklahoma here. I have not read any of Dorothea's books before but there are about 3-4 of us from a previous club in here that decided to read this one and I am glad we did. I am looking forward to the discussions on this book. Was a nice summer read. I know a few are just getting their books so looking forward to really starting the club next week. :smileywink: ,and hi to you too Bill.

vivico1 wrote:
Hey there, Vivian from Oklahoma here. I have not read any of Dorothea's books before but there are about 3-4 of us from a previous club in here that decided to read this one and I am glad we did. I am looking forward to the discussions on this book. Was a nice summer read. I know a few are just getting their books so looking forward to really starting the club next week. :smileywink: ,and hi to you too Bill.

vivico1 wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Hi! We sometimes called Dottie "Twink" when she was very young and studying ballet. This was a sort of "nickname for her nickname" ~ "Tinkletoes"! She was a great dancer! ~~~ I'm the Mimi in her books! Looking forward to being part of the discussions. Twinksista
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Twinksista wrote:

Hi! We sometimes called Dottie "Twink" when she was very young and studying ballet. This was a sort of "nickname for her nickname" ~ "Tinkletoes"! She was a great dancer! ~~~ I'm the Mimi in her books! Looking forward to being part of the discussions. Twinksista

So are you in this book? Mimi? lol
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
Twinksista
0 Kudos

I wish I were in all her books 'cause I think she's a wonderful author! BUT-I've never recognized anyone I've ever known as being one of her characters. She has a great imagination!!! If you've read her books that have recipes, many of those are ones I either use of have been passed down through our family. Twinksista
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hey! Sister to Twink! I love the infamous "Mimi pound cake" - And I make the biscuits all the time. Thanks for coming on board with us! It's a pleasure to finally meet you. This is my third discussion with Dot, and we love her to death, and I know she loves you too! She can't say enough good things about you...and all the good eats! I hope you can stay with us!?

Kathy S. (from *Southern* Calif)....
I was a damn yankee three years ago, until Dot converted me to the South! :smileyhappy:

Twinksista wrote:
I wish I were in all her books 'cause I think she's a wonderful author! BUT-I've never recognized anyone I've ever known as being one of her characters. She has a great imagination!!! If you've read her books that have recipes, many of those are ones I either use of have been passed down through our family. Twinksista

New User
JollyShagger
0 Kudos

Hello,
This is my first time meeting any DB Lovers! I am from SC & love reading DB's novels. I can so relate to them. I live in a small SC town & went to COC for a short time. My BF lives in Pinopolis, SC, and I have sev friends & family members,such as my brother, who went to the Citadel. My mother grew up in Horry Co. with her 2 sisters. All have bought houses at Surfside Beach. They all grew up working in the MB area during their teenage years. My fathers family came from the small town I live in & all love Edisto IS.. They each know the best shrimping, crabbing,& fishing holes around. I guess I have the best of all worlds. I live b/w edisto island, myrtle beach, & the N.& S. Edisto Rivers, the intercostal waterway, the black, peedee, and waccamaw rivers, not to mention Lake Murray, Santee, Lake Moultrie, and so many ponds I can't mention. I have spent more time in my 29 yrs shagging, crabbing, having bridal,garden club and baby showers and luncheons, than there are types punch and tea sandwhiches!! I have also caught, cooked, & eaten more seafood, gumbo, GRITS, RICE, & wild whatever than you could imagine. I love my family, my SC, & the traditions. All of which DB touches in her novels. I feel right at home in all and I can relate to the values & ideals of each story. THANKS DB for putting my everyday life & culture into stories. I relate and feel like I am a character in them all! GO Mint Julips, Porch Rockers, Shagging, Great food, art, music, & most of all, family & friends!!!... Jolly shagger.
Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 771 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: