Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

Twinksista wrote:

Hi! We sometimes called Dottie "Twink" when she was very young and studying ballet. This was a sort of "nickname for her nickname" ~ "Tinkletoes"! She was a great dancer! ~~~ I'm the Mimi in her books! Looking forward to being part of the discussions. Twinksista

Hey Sista! Great to have you join the group. "Mimi" can cook breakfast for me anytime she wants to... I would love to hang out at her kitchen table.
Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

What a wonderful bio! And welcome! I know you can add so much to this discussion! Feel free to just jump in whenever and wherever you want. Look forward to talking to you about these great characters and places Dot has graced us with. Thanks for joining us!

Kathy S.

JollyShagger wrote:
Hello,
This is my first time meeting any DB Lovers! I am from SC & love reading DB's novels. I can so relate to them. I live in a small SC town & went to COC for a short time. My BF lives in Pinopolis, SC, and I have sev friends & family members,such as my brother, who went to the Citadel. My mother grew up in Horry Co. with her 2 sisters. All have bought houses at Surfside Beach. They all grew up working in the MB area during their teenage years. My fathers family came from the small town I live in & all love Edisto IS.. They each know the best shrimping, crabbing,& fishing holes around. I guess I have the best of all worlds. I live b/w edisto island, myrtle beach, & the N.& S. Edisto Rivers, the intercostal waterway, the black, peedee, and waccamaw rivers, not to mention Lake Murray, Santee, Lake Moultrie, and so many ponds I can't mention. I have spent more time in my 29 yrs shagging, crabbing, having bridal,garden club and baby showers and luncheons, than there are types punch and tea sandwhiches!! I have also caught, cooked, & eaten more seafood, gumbo, GRITS, RICE, & wild whatever than you could imagine. I love my family, my SC, & the traditions. All of which DB touches in her novels. I feel right at home in all and I can relate to the values & ideals of each story. THANKS DB for putting my everyday life & culture into stories. I relate and feel like I am a character in them all! GO Mint Julips, Porch Rockers, Shagging, Great food, art, music, & most of all, family & friends!!!... Jolly shagger.

Contributor
Twinksista
0 Kudos

Thanks! I'm so-o-o happy to be here! --Glad you like the pound cake recipe. I recently put one in the freezer--and thought it tasted even better than usual when I let it thaw and ate a piece. I've been freezing them for a few days ever since--and I think it improves the texture!! Twinksista
Contributor
Twinksista
0 Kudos

Mimi loves to cook, but my breakfasts are pretty boring...I live at the beach, so I mostly go walking in the AM and kill time when I get home ...till my husband begins to look pale from fasting!!!! THEN I cook breakfast!!! LOL
KathyS
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip! It must be some kind of a moisture thing going on, also settling the flavors together, maybe? My favorite cake in all this world, next to angel food, is pound cake! Throw a bunch of fresh berries on it, and fresh whipped cream, yummmmmmmm! Okay,I'm dying!-----and I'm drooling all over my keyboard!
Kathy S.

Twinksista wrote:
Thanks! I'm so-o-o happy to be here! --Glad you like the pound cake recipe. I recently put one in the freezer--and thought it tasted even better than usual when I let it thaw and ate a piece. I've been freezing them for a few days ever since--and I think it improves the texture!! Twinksista

KathyS
0 Kudos

You mean your husband doesn't do *pop tarts*! Poor baby! :smileyvery-happy:

Twinksista wrote:
Mimi loves to cook, but my breakfasts are pretty boring...I live at the beach, so I mostly go walking in the AM and kill time when I get home ...till my husband begins to look pale from fasting!!!! THEN I cook breakfast!!! LOL

Contributor
Twinksista
0 Kudos

He LOVES Pop Tarts!! I make hime a pot of coffee and slap a Blueberry Pop Tart in the toaster EVERY morning b-4 I meet the wimmin' I walk with!!! (He calls it his "hot breakfast" LOL Twinksista
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hot breakfast?!! I'm laughing my head off! You're serious? OMG, what an easy man to please! LOL No omlete with hashbrowns and sausage and bacon....and biscuits with butter oozing all over the fingers? Don't tell him I said that!

Kathy S.

Twinksista wrote:
He LOVES Pop Tarts!! I make hime a pot of coffee and slap a Blueberry Pop Tart in the toaster EVERY morning b-4 I meet the wimmin' I walk with!!! (He calls it his "hot breakfast" LOL Twinksista

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Jolly -

Great to have you join the group. There's nothing like having your home place written well about, is there? We'll be looking forward to hearing from you.

You're talking good food, too... I think we need to start a food discussion in this group.

JollyShagger wrote:
Hello,
This is my first time meeting any DB Lovers! I am from SC & love reading DB's novels. I can so relate to them. I live in a small SC town & went to COC for a short time. My BF lives in Pinopolis, SC, and I have sev friends & family members,such as my brother, who went to the Citadel. My mother grew up in Horry Co. with her 2 sisters. All have bought houses at Surfside Beach. They all grew up working in the MB area during their teenage years. My fathers family came from the small town I live in & all love Edisto IS.. They each know the best shrimping, crabbing,& fishing holes around. I guess I have the best of all worlds. I live b/w edisto island, myrtle beach, & the N.& S. Edisto Rivers, the intercostal waterway, the black, peedee, and waccamaw rivers, not to mention Lake Murray, Santee, Lake Moultrie, and so many ponds I can't mention. I have spent more time in my 29 yrs shagging, crabbing, having bridal,garden club and baby showers and luncheons, than there are types punch and tea sandwhiches!! I have also caught, cooked, & eaten more seafood, gumbo, GRITS, RICE, & wild whatever than you could imagine. I love my family, my SC, & the traditions. All of which DB touches in her novels. I feel right at home in all and I can relate to the values & ideals of each story. THANKS DB for putting my everyday life & culture into stories. I relate and feel like I am a character in them all! GO Mint Julips, Porch Rockers, Shagging, Great food, art, music, & most of all, family & friends!!!... Jolly shagger.

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
kathleenOH
0 Kudos

Oh - this is like old home week. It's just Kathleen from Ohio back for another dose of Dot Frank love fest. I'll be the first to do a cheer (just don't expect any splits.) Give me a - G - E - E - C - H - E - E!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathleen
Kathleen - Ohio
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathleen! Great to see you - what kept you so long? What would the summer be without a Dot Frank book, hm? Have you started reading yet? You're going to love this one.
Stephanie
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

smokeysmom wrote:
HI, Joining the group late, but enthusiastically - just got the book and plan to stay up most of the night reading -- lived in South Carolina - Aiken for 5 years and now spend vacations in the low country of GA and SC -- love it!

Love Aiken! What happened to the peaches this year? I heard the freeze clobbered them - hope that's not true as I fully intend to have my share this Sugust! Welcome!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kathleenOH wrote:
Oh - this is like old home week. It's just Kathleen from Ohio back for another dose of Dot Frank love fest. I'll be the first to do a cheer (just don't expect any splits.) Give me a - G - E - E - C - H - E - E!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathleen

Ok, I either missed something in the book or somewhere else lol, I am in oklahoma, what is a GEECHEE???? Dot said everyone was an honorary one too and I still dont know what that means? Actually a few of us don't. HELP lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

kathleenOH wrote:

Kathleen

Kathleen from OH! Welcome home! Another honorary G-E-E-C-H-E-E GIRL RETURNS! LOL

Just me, the other Kathleen from Calif! The other Kathy(H) will be back soon.
Kathy S.
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kathleenOH wrote:

Kathleen

Ok, I either missed something in the book or somewhere else lol, I am in oklahoma, what is a GEECHEE???? Dot said everyone was an honorary one too and I still dont know what that means? Actually a few of us don't. HELP lol.

Geechee Girls are the ruling class in my mind - they support each other, dont' stress over anything much, they like to dance and sing along with the radio, they occasionally cuss, they like to cook and if they can't they do the dishes and they are just the generally all around good natured women of any age. The real story is that they come from the rice plantations areas of the Lowcountry but since I am a fiction writer, we are gonna stretch that definition to include y'all and why not? Is this our book club or what? PS we love motown music - called Beach Music. The Drifters, the Four Tops etc.

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Do we dance on the beach too? :smileyhappy:

This yankee gal is glad to be an honorary geechee girl! Your books have always made me want to be one and also to visit SC! I'll probably traverse the Low Country looking for all my favorite characters!

dotfrank wrote:

Geechee Girls are the ruling class in my mind - they support each other, dont' stress over anything much, they like to dance and sing along with the radio, they occasionally cuss, they like to cook and if they can't they do the dishes and they are just the generally all around good natured women of any age. The real story is that they come from the rice plantations areas of the Lowcountry but since I am a fiction writer, we are gonna stretch that definition to include y'all and why not? Is this our book club or what? PS we love motown music - called Beach Music. The Drifters, the Four Tops etc.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
Do we dance on the beach too? :smileyhappy:

This yankee gal is glad to be an honorary geechee girl! Your books have always made me want to be one and also to visit SC! I'll probably traverse the Low Country looking for all my favorite characters!

dotfrank wrote:

Miss Lizzie Ann? Geechee Girls dance everywhere! Why not?

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

hey all you margarita drinkers lol, do any of you drink beer? I just saw an ad on tv for Miller Chill. Anyone heard of it or try it? Its suppose to be brewed with a little taste of lime and salt in it, so thought you might be interested if you like beer too :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
hey all you margarita drinkers lol, do any of you drink beer? I just saw an ad on tv for Miller Chill. Anyone heard of it or try it? Its suppose to be brewed with a little taste of lime and salt in it, so thought you might be interested if you like beer too :smileywink:

no, but I like lime in my beer. Hold the salt. Might have to try this
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

no, but I like lime in my beer. Hold the salt. Might have to try this

yeah, a kind of tropical beer huh?
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 52 members 778 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: