Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves!

dotfrank wrote:
Hi Janet and welcome back! Take 95 N to 17 N and stop in Charleston! It's so pretty but right now it's just as hot as FL. I'm thinking about spending some time there from Thanksgiving to Christmas to eat my quota of oysters and walk the foggy beach. Let me know if you go!

homereader wrote:
Hi this is Janet from Central Florida. I am really late signing on, but I read the book, just before the discussion group started.
Last year, I participated in the "Full of Grace" discussion group, and I really enjoyed it. I noticed many return visitors this time as well as a healthy group of newcomers.

I started reading books by Dot as an "educational experience." I grew up in MA and just moved to FL when I turned 50. Now I am just plain addicted to these books. Dot has me believing that I have lived a very deprived life because I only know SC from driving route 95 north.

I look forward to participating in this book group. Happy to learn the "beach music" is Motown. My educational experience continues.
I love Motown.

Janet

Hi Dot,

South Carolina has become my #1 destination desire, thanks to you. I will remember, rt 17 N to Charleston. No need to consult MapQuest, when I have directions from a native. LOL.
Honestly, I am thinking that Thanksgiving in Charleston might be nice with my husband and 18 yr old daughter. What would you recommend for dinner reservations and/ or accomodations (or am I nuts thinking I can get a reservation?). When I lived up north, we would sometimes decide to make reservations at a local historic inn
(Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA). I would get this inspiration in September AND then find out they had been booked since August. SO>>>>>>>>>should I try for a time other than Thanksgiving?

Janet from Central, FL
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

CAT72 wrote:

homereader wrote:
Hi this is Janet from Central Florida. I am really late signing on, but I read the book, just before the discussion group started.
Last year, I participated in the "Full of Grace" discussion group, and I really enjoyed it. I noticed many return visitors this time as well as a healthy group of newcomers.

I started reading books by Dot as an "educational experience." I grew up in MA and just moved to FL when I turned 50. Now I am just plain addicted to these books. Dot has me believing that I have lived a very deprived life because I only know SC from driving route 95 north.

I look forward to participating in this book group. Happy to learn the "beach music" is Motown. My educational experience continues.
I love Motown.

Janet

As a native South Caroinian I wanted to say WELCOME. Yes, you have definitely missed out if you only know SC from I95. If you get the chance you should dinitely visit the Paletto State.

Thanks, CAT72,

You know I do enjoy driving through the state, so I am sure I would enjoy a visit.

Janet from Central FL
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
Hi Janet, nice 'seeing' you again! Glad you could join us, it's always good to hear another voice!

Kathy S.

Hi Kathys, KathyH, Mair, Lizzie Ann, and Liz. Liz, I remember last year needing to ask you where NT, NY was. This year I am ahead in the game. I also remember that there was another Janet (besides me), and I think Stephanie was the moderator. Am I correct about that. Anyhow, just happy to be back to "make new friends, keep the old, some are silver, some are gold." (I learned that when my daughter was a brownie, probably common knowledge for you all.

Janet from Central, FL

Hi also to my new friend in Melbourne, FL. I live about an hour away in Winter Park. You can tell I was raised a northerner, becaues I refer to distance in terms of travel time vs. miles.

Talk again, soon
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:

Hi Dot,

South Carolina has become my #1 destination desire, thanks to you. I will remember, rt 17 N to Charleston. No need to consult MapQuest, when I have directions from a native. LOL.
Honestly, I am thinking that Thanksgiving in Charleston might be nice with my husband and 18 yr old daughter. What would you recommend for dinner reservations and/ or accomodations (or am I nuts thinking I can get a reservation?). When I lived up north, we would sometimes decide to make reservations at a local historic inn
(Longfellow's Wayside Inn in Sudbury, MA). I would get this inspiration in September AND then find out they had been booked since August. SO>>>>>>>>>should I try for a time other than Thanksgiving?

Janet from Central, FL

You sound like me homereader. Last year, I decided i wanted to spend some time right at christmas at a B&B in a little historic town, so I made reservations in July, to be sure. They had dinner reservations made for me too and a carriage ride to it and to the theater. This was for dec 23! it worked out great and I took a friend, but it was only possible because i booked it in July.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
New User
jonels
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm Joanne and started reading books by Dorothea Benton Franks last summer. I thoroughly enjoy the books. I'm spending this summer reading her earlier books. I enjoy how the women speak their minds and overcome their problems with humor and compassion. We were away on vacation and I'm just getting caught up with my e-mails.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Lisa,

Welcome to the group. Don't worry too much about reading all the posts, just jump right in! Don't be shy about asking questions, either, if there's anything you need to know.

As to mango recipes, I like to eat them plain, but let us know if you come up with something fabulous!
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Janet,

Great to see you again. I know all about being a transplant from the north, but four years in Mississippi cured me of ever wanting to live in the north again. I remember distinctly the first time I visited, and I was horrified to find a drug store clerk answer my sister's question by saying flatly, "yeah." Two years prior, I wouldn't have even noticed.
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Hi Joanne,

Glad you could join. Hope you had a wonderful vacation -was it the sort you need to rest up from afterward? :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

jonels wrote:
Hello,

I'm Joanne and started reading books by Dorothea Benton Franks last summer. I thoroughly enjoy the books. I'm spending this summer reading her earlier books. I enjoy how the women speak their minds and overcome their problems with humor and compassion. We were away on vacation and I'm just getting caught up with my e-mails.

Hi Joanne! And, welcome! Thanks for reading my books - hope you are enjoying them! Dot

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

My favorite B&B in Charleston in Number 2 Meeting Street - or it might be number 3 - anyway there is also the Wentworth Mansion, The Indigo Inn, The Mills House and they are all in the historic district so you can walk everywhere. I would have Thanksgiving dinner - if they are open - at Charleston Place or Cypress or the Peninsula Grill. They will all cost $$$$$. If you want to do Charleston on a smaller budget I would rent a condo through Wild Dunes, stay on the Isle of Palms and cook. Frankly, I love walking the beaches around Thanksgiving. It's dreamier. And it's also oyster season then. The beach restaurants all have steamed oysters by the dozen. They are messy to eat and work to open but holy cow, I could eat a bunch of them! You can also cehck the Charleston CVB for lots of other information.

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am Kaye from Florida and found this book group through your web site Dorothea Benton Frank. I went there because I absolutely love your books and wanted to see if you had written anything that our local library does not have. I wish you could clone yourself and write twice as much - your books are so great. I have ready every one of them and can't wait to see the new ones.

Thank you for being you!
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:

I love Motown.

Janet

Hi Janet,
I moved here from MA when I was 52 and like you only passed through SC on 95 north. It seems we missed a whole other world out there.

Kaye from Florida
another DBF addictee
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
New User
LisaD
0 Kudos

Hi Stephanie, and thanks!! It's been fun being part of the group! I actually took the easy way out as far as the mangos go -- I bought a jar of mango peach salsa, as well as a mango mixer to make martinis. I have tried many times to buy mangos, but I must not know how to choose them because they are never good!

Lisa :smileyhappy:
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Lisa,

If you're in a good store get the produce person to choose the mangos for you. I did that when I was much younger and actually had someone teach me how to choose avocados. Who knew back then that they were jam-packed with calories!? I don't care, love them anyway, and often slice a whole one up on my salad.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

homereader wrote:

I love Motown.

Janet

Hi Janet,
I moved here from MA when I was 52 and like you only passed through SC on 95 north. It seems we missed a whole other world out there.

Kaye from Florida
another DBF addictee

Hi Kaye, it's not too late for us. There is still time to get off I95 and explore this place we have read so much about. Where in MA did you live? Where is Florida do you live? Nice meeting a fellow transplant. Of course, around here, most everyone is transplanted from somewhere else. That's why I needed some "authentic" education about life in the south, which Dot has been so kind to provide.
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
My favorite B&B in Charleston in Number 2 Meeting Street - or it might be number 3 - anyway there is also the Wentworth Mansion, The Indigo Inn, The Mills House and they are all in the historic district so you can walk everywhere. I would have Thanksgiving dinner - if they are open - at Charleston Place or Cypress or the Peninsula Grill. They will all cost $$$$$. If you want to do Charleston on a smaller budget I would rent a condo through Wild Dunes, stay on the Isle of Palms and cook. Frankly, I love walking the beaches around Thanksgiving. It's dreamier. And it's also oyster season then. The beach restaurants all have steamed oysters by the dozen. They are messy to eat and work to open but holy cow, I could eat a bunch of them! You can also cehck the Charleston CVB for lots of other information.

Hi Dot, thanks for your response. I think the idea of the condo on the Isle of Palms is terrific........that would suit my family, moreso than a B&B. I will also check out the $$$$$ places that you mentioned for Thanksgiving dinner. The combo of a nice dinner and a few days in a beach location sounds just the best to me. My husband will think I am nuts when I tell him I want to go to Charleston and the Isle of Palms because a hugely popular author recommended it to me. LOL ! But....we have not established any particular Thanksgiving tradition since we have lived in FL, so it might be just the right thing to do. (If I stay on the Isle of Palms, you know I will be looking for all of your fictitious characters, LOL)

Janet from Central FL
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Mangos -

[ Edited ]

Stephanie wrote:
Lisa,

If you're in a good store get the produce person to choose the mangos for you. I did that when I was much younger and actually had someone teach me how to choose avocados. Who knew back then that they were jam-packed with calories!? I don't care, love them anyway, and often slice a whole one up on my salad.

Stephanie, good advice! I would advise getting the produce manager to help you. Most fruit is picked before fully ripe. Mangos are no exception. There are different varieties of mangos.....In this month's Sunset Magazine., there is an article about mangos and growing them here in So. Calif., the Coachella Valley, south of Palm Springs - desert region. I'll quote some of the info, written by David Karp.

They have developed a variety which is different than the store varieties. The ones you get in the market are usually imported, often fibrous in texture, and the flavor isn't always that good. Another thing, too, these are treated with a hot water bath to kill insects, and in this process, the flavors are lost and the flesh can become pasty.

The major problem they've had growing them here, is people stealing the trees! And they can't grow just anywhere, Florida and Hawaii are the only two other US states that have grown them successfully. Our deserts have extreme heat, up to 130F, but it doesn't seem to bother them, they actually thrive....it was the freeze we had this past winter that knocked some of the groves out. In January we had the worst freeze since 1937!

This particular grower, C.M.&S., has tested more than 50 varieties, and ended up with one called, Keitt, which was developed in Florida. Mangos must be harvested firm and ripened off the tree, like pears; plumpness is a better indicator than skin color for choosing a good Keitt.These mangos have a green skin, with yellow flesh.

I read that they are experimenting with exotic fruits....dragon fruit, mangosteen, and yuzu. Don't ask me what they are! I'll get my produce manual back from my daughter, and I'll see if there is anything in it that I can add that may help in picking the ones from the market. Even though I technically worked in the produce department, it wasn't my job, and I was never a big fan of either mangos or papaya, so I'm not much help. Now, ask me about avocado's! That I know a lot about! :smileyvery-happy:

K.

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-24-2007 06:37 PM
Frequent Contributor
kathleenOH
0 Kudos

Re: Mangos - Kudzu

Now if they can just find a use for that ugly Kudzu.
Kathleen - Ohio
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: Mangos - Kudzu

kathleenOH wrote:
Now if they can just find a use for that ugly Kudzu.

Kudzu could be used to strangle Manny and Judith.

New User
jonels
0 Kudos

Thanks, Stephanie,

No, my vacation was very restful! We deciced we all wanted to not rush around and just relax. It was very enjoyable. Coming back has been hectic because I've been getting my youngest ready to go off to college. I feel like I'm opening a second house! I've been looking at websites for Sullivan's Island and dreaming about visiting one day when college is over!!

Thanks again for welcoming me and oh, thank you, too Dot for the welcome,
Joanne
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 765 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: