Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Lililan
0 Kudos

Just Finished Land of Mango Sunsets

Oh My Gosh, I just cant get enough of Dorothea Frank. My favorite place in the world is Sullivans Island and Isle of Palms and Charleston, all in that order. I would rather be there than anywhere else. When I cant ride down there I just open a book of Mrs. Franks and there I am sitting on the island. I cant wait for your Christmas book and the rest that will follow. I just finished Land of Mango Sunsets, and you are exactly right that is what you receive each sunset down there, is a mango sunset. MMMMMMPPPPPPHHHHHH I love it. I went out on the boat last time I was down there, it was the dinner cruise and I couldn't even eat my dinner for wanting to be outside on that boat. I took pictures and pictures of everything, from the dolphins to the sunset to the bridge to the port. I love it and your books. I will look forward to reading more. Lillian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Just Finished Land of Mango Sunsets

Lililan wrote:
Oh My Gosh, I just cant get enough of Dorothea Frank. My favorite place in the world is Sullivans Island and Isle of Palms and Charleston, all in that order. I would rather be there than anywhere else. When I cant ride down there I just open a book of Mrs. Franks and there I am sitting on the island. I cant wait for your Christmas book and the rest that will follow. I just finished Land of Mango Sunsets, and you are exactly right that is what you receive each sunset down there, is a mango sunset. MMMMMMPPPPPPHHHHHH I love it. I went out on the boat last time I was down there, it was the dinner cruise and I couldn't even eat my dinner for wanting to be outside on that boat. I took pictures and pictures of everything, from the dolphins to the sunset to the bridge to the port. I love it and your books. I will look forward to reading more. Lillian

I know, the more I see and read and feel within, the feeling of the low country. I have to visit. I have been to Myrtle Beach many times but never any further except for going all the way to Florida on 95 many times. But I do have a daughter there.
Contributor
Lililan
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Lililan wrote:

I know, the more I see and read and feel within, the feeling of the low country. I have to visit. I have been to Myrtle Beach many times but never any further except for going all the way to Florida on 95 many times. But I do have a daughter there.

kiakar wrote:

Lililan wrote:

Yes most definitely, you should visit there and all you need is some wine, a beach towel/chair and a Dorothea Benton Frank book and that is a vacation in itself. Sitting out there on Isle of Palms reading one of her books.........there Is nothing like it. What state are you from? I am in North Carolina. It is about a five hour drive for me. But it could be 10 and I would still go.
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Lillian - first, welcome to the group! I am so so thrilled that you enjoyed MAngo and that you love the Lowcountry like I do. Let me know when you go to visit because I might be there too! Best, Dot

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Lililan wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Lililan wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Lililan wrote:

Yes most definitely, you should visit there and all you need is some wine, a beach towel/chair and a Dorothea Benton Frank book and that is a vacation in itself. Sitting out there on Isle of Palms reading one of her books.........there Is nothing like it. What state are you from? I am in North Carolina. It is about a five hour drive for me. But it could be 10 and I would still go.

Hi Lillian, I am from Central Virginia so its about maybe six or seven hours. I am definitely coming down or up or whatever. Its down, I know. ha. Yes, but the only problem I have read all of her books so what do I do now??? Oh! well! I gues I will just have to choose another! I love to read!
Contributor
Lililan
0 Kudos

Oh my gosh, Dot I enjoyed more than Mango, I loved Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island, Plantation ......... All of them. I am crazy over Dot Frank and her writing, that is for sure. I cant wait for the new one. I tell people they can borrow my Low Country books but they have to give them back and that they might as well go buy there own because they are going to want to read it over and over again. My moms name is Dot also. I wish you would come to Greensboro NC to the B + N there so I can come and see you. That would be the coolest thing to be at Sullivans Island the same time you are. Well you have a great day.
Lillian
Contributor
Lililan
0 Kudos

Well I dont know who you read but I love anything about the lowcountry, so I read different authors. But now as much as I do Dot's books. I guess you know about the Chrismtas book of her's coming out after halloween? I cant wait. I love to read also.
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Lillian! Hi! I was in Greensboro at the B&N there last summer and I am so sorry I missed seeing you! I don't pick where I go anymore. It's based on sales per capita or some kind of formula or a special event. Lately I seem to be doing lots of Friends of the Library events and B&N usually sells the books. That way, even in a smaller town, I get enough sales to warrant the $$ my publishser has to spend to send me there. It's a crazy business!

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Lililan wrote:
Well I dont know who you read but I love anything about the lowcountry, so I read different authors. But now as much as I do Dot's books. I guess you know about the Chrismtas book of her's coming out after halloween? I cant wait. I love to read also.

Yes, Lillian, I love books and I mean all books. Books that are thought provoking are the best like Dot's. But I love mystery, romance,and I do love beach romance. I read alot of Classic books but mostly like novels of fiction. Do not care much for non fiction. Some memoirs I will read if they really appear interesting. I like to get lost n the world of dreams and that to me is fiction. I love Jodi Picoult books. Have read all of hers and she has alot. I love elizabeth Berg and have read all of hers. The mystery writer Harlan Coben, we read a book on these clubs here, "The Woods" that was good and we are reading another one "Tell noone" and that will be on the Community room and the author will not be there but its a great book so I know the discussion will be interesting. Join us if you can. That will start the first of August.
Contributor
Lililan
0 Kudos

Hi Dot,
OHG I did not know you were here last year. How in the world did I miss out on that? I am sure the business is crazy. I want to write books so bad. I just dont know where to begin and I dont have alot of money to get started. But maybe one day I will be able to. Hope you have a great day.
Lillian
Contributor
Lililan
0 Kudos

I havent read anything by those authors, but I think I am going to check them out. I like reading James Patterson, Sandra Brown, Pat Conroy, Anne River Siddons and on and on and on. Right now I am reading The Bridge by Doug Marlette. It is based in NC, like Raliegh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Burlington area. It is ok. I have never read anything by him, dont even know if he has anything else out-no I just looked and he doesnt this is his first book. I found it at B+N on the clearance shelf. I LOVE THE CLEARANCE SHELF at B+N!!!! I cant wait to go in there and just buy and buy. I have really enjoyed talking to you through this discussion. This is my first time and I am enjoying it. Have a great day. Lillian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Lililan wrote:
I havent read anything by those authors, but I think I am going to check them out. I like reading James Patterson, Sandra Brown, Pat Conroy, Anne River Siddons and on and on and on. Right now I am reading The Bridge by Doug Marlette. It is based in NC, like Raliegh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Burlington area. It is ok. I have never read anything by him, dont even know if he has anything else out-no I just looked and he doesnt this is his first book. I found it at B+N on the clearance shelf. I LOVE THE CLEARANCE SHELF at B+N!!!! I cant wait to go in there and just buy and buy. I have really enjoyed talking to you through this discussion. This is my first time and I am enjoying it. Have a great day. Lillian

Lillian, remember to check out the big Community Room, not on this site, but has its separate site and a thread is on there for Harlan Coben's book "Don't tell" You can find these at Barnes and Noble for under $5. if you have a card. We will have fun. So join us. His books are exciting, thrilling and wonderful. What else can I say!
"
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Lililan wrote:

Lillian, remember to check out the big Community Room, not on this site, but has its separate site and a thread is on there for Harlan Coben's book "Don't tell" You can find these at Barnes and Noble for under $5. if you have a card. We will have fun. So join us. His books are exciting, thrilling and wonderful. What else can I say!
"

Please tell Harlan I am mad for him! I want him, his wife and their brood to come over for a barbecue! His mom is best friends with the mom of a friend of mine from the Winston School here in NJ. We gotta meet!

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

kiakar wrote:

"

Please tell Harlan I am mad for him! I want him, his wife and their brood to come over for a barbecue! His mom is best friends with the mom of a friend of mine from the Winston School here in NJ. We gotta meet!

Some of us were in his bookclub in here two months ago Dot and we really liked his book, so we picked one to do ourselves in the community room in Aug. He really does seem to be a cool guy, great writer and we really enjoyed talking to him about his books. LOL, want his email address?? lol, you invite him over :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

kiakar wrote:

"

Some of us were in his bookclub in here two months ago Dot and we really liked his book, so we picked one to do ourselves in the community room in Aug. He really does seem to be a cool guy, great writer and we really enjoyed talking to him about his books. LOL, want his email address?? lol, you invite him over :smileywink:

Yea: Lillian;

I surely Second That , please!!!!! If you are a friend, maybe he wouldmake an appearance for us. Now wouldnt that be a doosy in a half!!!!! A thrill at least!
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

kiakar wrote:

"

Yea: Lillian;

I surely Second That , please!!!!! If you are a friend, maybe he wouldmake an appearance for us. Now wouldnt that be a doosy in a half!!!!! A thrill at least!

Why not?

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:
but the only problem I have read all of her books so what do I do now??? Oh! well! I gues I will just have to choose another! I love to read!

Try Pat Conroy! Jo
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Jo6353 wrote:

kiakar wrote:
but the only problem I have read all of her books so what do I do now??? Oh! well! I gues I will just have to choose another! I love to read!

Try Pat Conroy! Jo

Yes I have heard he is good.And his wife's book I have read. That is good also. I can't think of her book or her name. Oh well.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Jo6353 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Try Pat Conroy! Jo

Yes I have heard he is good.And his wife's book I have read. That is good also. I can't think of her book or her name. Oh well.

I wasn't aware that his wife wrote books. Jo
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Jo6353 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Try Pat Conroy! Jo

The Queen of Broken Hearts!

Users Online
Currently online: 17 members 516 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: