Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

MANNY VERSUS HARRISON-MID BOOK

Around chapters 6 and 7, when Miriam goes to see Miss Josie, she meets Harrison and Manny. Harrison seems to be quite a guy and we have a whole thread for him now and as the book develops. What did you guys first think about Manny? Did he seem like a pretty nice guy who may be just a bit on the awkward side or what do you think? He seems interested in Miriam right off the bat. Miriam cracks me up around both men. I think her hormones have reminded her that its been wayyy to long since shes been intimate with any man and now she is a bit interested in Harrison and not sure if he is interested in her too or is off limits because of her mother. She knows Manny is interested and with one hug, she KNOWS his hormones are on the go, or should i say ready to go lol. So here she is, with two men all the sudden, two straight men, wondering what to do with either of them and knowing if she sees Manny again the subject will come up. Ok, lets face it all you southern gentile women :smileywink: Miriam just needs to get laid! and good and long! rofl. But by Harrison Ford or a paunchy Don Knotts LOL.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: MANNY VERSUS HARRISON-MID BOOK

Any comments on Manny's fantasy night on the beach? lol, or what I like to subtitle, BEACK BLANKET BINGO!!!! lol
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Any comments on Manny's fantasy night on the beach? lol, or what I like to subtitle, BEACK BLANKET BINGO!!!!
lol

It was truly funny!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

********* spoiler for pages 200 on*********
Dot, since on another thread you mentioned writing funny sex vs hot sex, lets talk about the beach scene with Manny. OH MY! tequila,sleeping bag and a SOMBRERO??? lol, hey I am into fun sex, have tried a few things in my last involvement that i hadn't before and loved it all lol, but Manny is a mess lol. Its not such a bad fantasy to want to play out, hes just so bad at it LOL. As far as one of the funniest lines or parts, I will put this here instead of on that thread so as to not ruin it for anyone..."I couldn't see a thing, as I was pretty well buried under a down flap and pinned by a fighter pilot continously landing on an aircraft carrier......Then his aria arrived on the crest of the high tide. It was as though a deep grunt came from some operatic animal inside him and we were completely drenched from head to toe.....Come on Manny! Get off of me! We are going to drown if we dont get off this thing and I'm freezing."
ROFL!!! and ewww both at the same time rofl. oh my my. She said at one point, it wasnt good sex but it was better than nothing. That sounds like a guy lol, "hey any sex is better than no sex". lol and you worry about writing serious sex but can write him and the ocean gushing at the same time til they nearly drown? ROFL , I know, not the same but like I said, just checking your blush factor lol. Then dancing on the beach with him in the sombrero LOL, I think I would have hung it on "something" and walked away lol. It was so funny them getting caught by the cops too lol. This was a seriously funny scene! and a desperate woman lol.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

********** SPOILER FOR CHAPTERS 16-17*********************
Ok, can I scream now and slap Miriam and tell her to slap Manny?? Holy cow! penicillin by the bed in his ex wife's name? and then she puts it back and doesnt say anything, but later thinks about what a skunk he is that he must still be seeing his ex wife. WHAT THE HECK!! I would have been out of that bed and pinning Manny in the bathroom with that bottle in hand! Yeah chapter 17 should be called denial and forget the fact that yeah he must be seeing his ex, hellooo, penicillin?? I wouldn't care who he was seeing at that point but what has he possibly got and what have I been messing with! Makes me want to shower and gargle and anything else I could lol. I would be so scared of STDs that if Manny got out of that room alive,it would be a miracle! How did you guys, ok, how did you women feel when you read that part? Man, remember when safe sex used to mean, using birth control and a pillow between your head and the headboard?? lol, its scary out there now. This really would have been a showdown time for me, I wouldnt have put it back and just waited. AAAHHHHH!
Vivian
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

I always try to think of what would be the most embarassing thing that can happen and this was so good for a prissy dame like Miriam. It cracked me up to write it. Especially when the cops show up.

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Penicillin - SPOILER

Manny was a dope. Miriam was so shcoked over so many things that she became frozen. Not everyone is brave enough to be confrontational - maybe it's a southern thing - draw back, consider everything and then when cooler heads prevail, you act. if it had been me i might have handed him the pills and said, "Ahem, Manny, your wife will probably be needing this." And then, walked out.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Penicillin - SPOILER

dotfrank wrote:
Manny was a dope. Miriam was so shcoked over so many things that she became frozen. Not everyone is brave enough to be confrontational - maybe it's a southern thing - draw back, consider everything and then when cooler heads prevail, you act. if it had been me i might have handed him the pills and said, "Ahem, Manny, your wife will probably be needing this." And then, walked out.

definately a funny part of the story Dot lol and yes with the cops to boot! As for the pills, I may have said the same thing too but added...will I be needing a prescription too?? lol
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

definately a funny part of the story Dot lol and yes with the cops to boot! As for the pills, I may have said the same thing too but added...will I be needing a prescription too?? lol

Viv -

Seriously - I was thinking the same thing. I hope Miriam made an appointment.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Viv -

Seriously - I was thinking the same thing. I hope Miriam made an appointment.

no kidding! have to have a body "wrapper" these days to have sex when dating. Its depressing.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

You would not believe this, I wished I could post the pictures and ads here but I just got an email from a friend showing some real ads from the late 20s to about the late 40s and two of them fit on this thread. I wished they would post here so you can see the picture of the ads! here is what they say tho:

Scary one here actually and so sexist! of course considering the time:
FOR feminine hygiene, use LYSOL always!
Day after heartbreaking day I was held in an unyielding web...a web spun by my husbands indifference, I couldnt reach him anymore! Was the fault mine? (shows a picture of a woman stuck in a spiderweb and hubby reading paper on the other side) Well...thinking you know about feminine hygiene, yet trusting to now-and-then care, can make all the difference in married happiness, as my doctor pointed out. (gag me) He said, never run such careless risks!...prescribed "LYSOL" brand disinfectant for douching always. :smileysurprised: Oh, the joy of finding Tom's love and close companionship one more! Believe me, I follow TO THE LETTER my doctor's advice on feminine hygiene and always use "LYSOL", a proved germ killer that cleanses so gently yet so thoroughly. Its easy to use and gentle too! (Now shows a picture of the web broke and her sitting sweetly on hubby's lap). This is the actual newspaper cut out of the ad and a very old bottle of Lysol. GEEESHHH! HELP! OUCH! Girls, if theres anyone in here who needs Lysol well then...ok so I think Manny's ex wife does! I need to send these to Jay Leno lol. Well you all know Coca Cola used to have cocaine in it, and 7-up had librium right?

Here's one from WWII lol,
You may think shes your gal BUT she may be everyone's "pal", prophylaxis prevents venereal disease. LOL, hear that MANNY????

Lot of old ones too with Doctors saying which cigarettes are the best,eat lard for good health and other such ads but the lysol one, OH MAN! If that doesn't make you twinge nothing will.
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

When I read this I thought, ok, what is he doing stealing his wife's pills. ha.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

lol kiakar, you didnt worry why if he did ,why he would need them? and by the bed? :smileywink:
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Off Topic to Vivico: Old Lysol ads

Viv,

Aside from the unbelievably sexist "storyline" of the ad you saw, there were key words in those ads that women of those days (mainly 20s, 30s and 40s) used to deconstruct their real meaning: protection, safety, and key phrases too: take no needless, dangerous chances... meaning, use Lysol as an "after the act" contraceptive. It couldn't be marketed that way, so it was marketed as a feminine hygiene product. Used as a douche and as a contraceptive. I can only say I hope the formula was different than it is today!
Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Off Topic to Vivico: Old Lysol ads

Stephanie wrote:
Viv,

Aside from the unbelievably sexist "storyline" of the ad you saw, there were key words in those ads that women of those days (mainly 20s, 30s and 40s) used to deconstruct their real meaning: protection, safety, and key phrases too: take no needless, dangerous chances... meaning, use Lysol as an "after the act" contraceptive. It couldn't be marketed that way, so it was marketed as a feminine hygiene product. Used as a douche and as a contraceptive. I can only say I hope the formula was different than it is today!

That is so gross!!! That wouldn't happen with a men's product.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

lol kiakar, you didnt worry why if he did ,why he would need them? and by the bed? :smileywink:

Maybe he had a disease, and honey, men leave everything by the bed!!!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Off Topic to Vivico: Old Lysol ads

Stephanie wrote:
Viv,

I know that was a horrible ad; I have never used them thank goodness;

Soap and water does enought! Just washing alot.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Maybe he had a disease, and honey, men leave everything by the bed!!!

Maybe he had a disease??? lol, darlin, someone in this trio better have been wearing a condom at all times! I wouldn't want to bank on her just having a sinus infection! (and yes, they do make them for women too believe it or not.)
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

pill bottle

vivico1 wrote:
********** SPOILER FOR CHAPTERS 16-17*********************
Ok, can I scream now and slap Miriam and tell her to slap Manny?? Holy cow! penicillin by the bed in his ex wife's name? and then she puts it back and doesnt say anything, but later thinks about what a skunk he is that he must still be seeing his ex wife. WHAT THE HECK!! I would have been out of that bed and pinning Manny in the bathroom with that bottle in hand! Yeah chapter 17 should be called denial and forget the fact that yeah he must be seeing his ex, hellooo, penicillin?? I wouldn't care who he was seeing at that point but what has he possibly got and what have I been messing with! Makes me want to shower and gargle and anything else I could lol. I would be so scared of STDs that if Manny got out of that room alive,it would be a miracle! How did you guys, ok, how did you women feel when you read that part? Man, remember when safe sex used to mean, using birth control and a pillow between your head and the headboard?? lol, its scary out there now. This really would have been a showdown time for me, I wouldnt have put it back and just waited. AAAHHHHH!

A cooler head would not have prevailed for me, that's for sure. Maybe Miriam was doing the whole denial thing after having had a cheating ex-husband. I understand that but it probably wouldn't have been my reaction. I know I wouldn't have been quiet about it all. He may even have been wearing a pill bottle shaped welt on his forehead by the next morning.
Users Online
Currently online: 54 members 232 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: