Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ogi148
0 Kudos

Question for Author

I love your books - read them all. Have any of them been made into movies, or do you have plans to do so?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Author

****SPOILER FOR END OF BOOK WARNING*****

Dot, I have a few questions that I want to go ahead and ask while I am still sure I can be here lol. Hopefully I will be able to for the month but not sure. Anyway, one of the things I was wondering about was why does Kevin never have a love interest in this? I was kind of hoping by the end of the book, he would have someone too, for a date at least to the wedding. Is it that he may have someone but it wouldn't be something he and Miriam would discuss? Everyone is looking for someone but Kevin, who sounds like he should have the guys after him, never even has anyone over. And every time Miriam calls him, he is right here in a flash! He may have a job that allows this but why doesn't he have a social life that sometimes doesn't allow it, where he has to say, um sorry Petal but I cant come right this minute? Considering how much Miriam needs him, I think she would probably be jealous of any relationship he had that took him away from her at her needful times too but maybe Kevin knows this too and just doesn't talk about the guys to her. I just kept wondering, ok Kevin is cool, where are the men in his life? That part of his life reminds me of this old drag queen I met online with a group of people last year playing scrabble who said, honey, its not that I don't like sex, I do, I just don't like the old men. LOL!! He said, I prefer to stay here and play scrabble with the girls and swap recipes. And by the way, the phrase I used there, old drag queen, was not meant to sound derogatory, thats what he called himself,and he actually had been a drag queen in a show when he was younger. But Kevin seems too full of life to spend all his time with only Miriam and live vicariously through any romance she might actually find. So whats the deal with Kevin? lol :smileywink: thanks
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

ogi148 wrote:
I love your books - read them all. Have any of them been made into movies, or do you have plans to do so?

Thanks! PLANTATION is in development now. We will see what happens but I have to say it's pretty exciting!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Kevin has commitment issues. His relationship with Miriam/Mellie is more like chosen family or dear friends but doesn't carry the same emotional price tag as an intimate relationship. I think they discuss that somewhere in the book but if they don't they should have!

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
Kevin has commitment issues. His relationship with Miriam/Mellie is more like chosen family or dear friends but doesn't carry the same emotional price tag as an intimate relationship. I think they discuss that somewhere in the book but if they don't they should have!

LOL, ok thank you Dot. Maybe it was mentioned in passing and if anyone remembers that part, please share, I would love to reread it. I dont recall it but you are right, if not then they should have! Would have made a great conversation in and of itself, what happened to him that makes this feels better, just like what happened with her that makes him so dear to her. Interesting. Maybe he was cheated on like Miriam was! :smileywink: someone do tell if you find something please.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

How great! All the best for it's success!
Kathy S.

dotfrank wrote:

ogi148 wrote:

Thanks! PLANTATION is in development now. We will see what happens but I have to say it's pretty exciting!

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Dot, i dont usually pm (private message)authors,they have enough to read with the boards but, if you have a moment, could you check yours? its the little envelop at the upper right that you can click on, if you have never used it before. thanks.
Vivian
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Viv - I am cook with everything!

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

oops - read "cool" not "cook!"

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
oops - read "cool" not "cook!"

Thank you for clarifying that! I was like, huh? I am cook with everything?? OH NO another regional thing I dont understand! :smileysurprised:. now do i ask about it or what! ROFL. OK, ty for your reply.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hey Dot,
I wrote down those two books you suggested for me to check out since this one was my first of yours and I went to barnes and noble today, looking for a couple of books actually, and i got a little bonus. One of your books, Pawleys Island was on a sale table IN HARDBACK, i love hardback books, easier for me to read for one thing, for only $5.88! Now WHO would pass that up! lol. So, I may have a couple of your books collected pretty soon :smileywink:. I think from what I see and read, I will have to know these places from your books. One, its pretty far away for me and two, everything sounds very very expensive for someone like me to just visit even. And I dont know how hospitable people are there to someone maybe not of money. Why do i get that feeling that you have to be upper income, not middle or anything else, to fit in there? I really mean that as a real question, or maybe one to myself because thats what I feel having read some about it now. hmmm. :smileysad:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hey Dot,
I wrote down those two books you suggested for me to check out since this one was my first of yours and I went to barnes and noble today, looking for a couple of books actually, and i got a little bonus. One of your books, Pawleys Island was on a sale table IN HARDBACK, i love hardback books, easier for me to read for one thing, for only $5.88! Now WHO would pass that up! lol. So, I may have a couple of your books collected pretty soon :smileywink:. I think from what I see and read, I will have to know these places from your books. One, its pretty far away for me and two, everything sounds very very expensive for someone like me to just visit even. And I dont know how hospitable people are there to someone maybe not of money. Why do i get that feeling that you have to be upper income, not middle or anything else, to fit in there? I really mean that as a real question, or maybe one to myself because thats what I feel having read some about it now. hmmm. :smileysad:

vivico1 wrote:
Hey Dot,

Hey, vivicol,

This is Janet (not the author) but I do have a perspective on that issue. I live in Central, Florida. Last weekend, a friend from church asked me if I would like to visit her at the beach. I said sure. I was somewhat astounded that she had not only a beautiful home in our community, but also a condo on the Atlantic Ocean with an expansive ocean view. Because I had never been to this beach area, I did a little research on the internet. My conclusion was that it was quite an upscale area. I went nuts trying to figure out what to wear, etc. I just did not think I could wear my usual denim capris and a tee shirt for this upscale destination. My bed was littered with all of my discarded choices. Finally, I put on a pair of nicer capris with one of my nicer tee shirts. When I arrived, my friend came out to greet me. She was wearing this casual "dress" that was on sale at Costco for $16.99 last summer.
I laughed to myself, because she called it a dress. I have the exact same "dress" but I use it as a bathing suit cover up. I had a lovely day at the beach. It was a beautiful beach. The other people staying in her condo building were just regular people. We went out for dinner at a casual waterfront restaurant. Again, my denim capris would have worked fine. The food was expensive, I think because of the waterfront location (hi overhead, rent, insurance, etc.) In conclusion, the "upscale" community was really no different than most any other beach area that I have been to.
The super high real estate prices has to do with waterfront property. LOCATION LOCATION.

In conclusion, people are people wherever you go. I would not be one bit concerned about income level.

I hope you get there someday. I expect Dot will have comments about hospitality and fitting in.

Janet
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:

Hey, vivicol,

This is Janet (not the author) but I do have a perspective on that issue. I live in Central, Florida. Last weekend, a friend from church asked me if I would like to visit her at the beach. I said sure. I was somewhat astounded that she had not only a beautiful home in our community, but also a condo on the Atlantic Ocean with an expansive ocean view. Because I had never been to this beach area, I did a little research on the internet. My conclusion was that it was quite an upscale area. I went nuts trying to figure out what to wear, etc. I just did not think I could wear my usual denim capris and a tee shirt for this upscale destination. My bed was littered with all of my discarded choices. Finally, I put on a pair of nicer capris with one of my nicer tee shirts. When I arrived, my friend came out to greet me. She was wearing this casual "dress" that was on sale at Costco for $16.99 last summer.
I laughed to myself, because she called it a dress. I have the exact same "dress" but I use it as a bathing suit cover up. I had a lovely day at the beach. It was a beautiful beach. The other people staying in her condo building were just regular people. We went out for dinner at a casual waterfront restaurant. Again, my denim capris would have worked fine. The food was expensive, I think because of the waterfront location (hi overhead, rent, insurance, etc.) In conclusion, the "upscale" community was really no different than most any other beach area that I have been to.
The super high real estate prices has to do with waterfront property. LOCATION LOCATION.

In conclusion, people are people wherever you go. I would not be one bit concerned about income level.

I hope you get there someday. I expect Dot will have comments about hospitality and fitting in.

Janet

Thanks for your post Janet. I do wonder about it there. I dont think I will be going or affording any of the bed & breakfast places there either or beach condo that I would love to, t-shirts or not, but good to know and glad you had such fun :smileyhappy:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hey Dot,

I am a SC native. Although I grew up in the UpCountry and not the LowCountry I have spent lots and lots of time in the LowCountry since both of my parents are from there and I have family in Mount Pleasant (think Shem Creek if you read that one) and on the Isle of Palms. Let me assure you that you will fit right in if you decide to visit. Don't worry about a thing.

As far as people being hospitable the south is know for their "Southern Hospitality".
UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Fancy Schmantzy Lowcountry

You can visit the Lowcountry a million different ways. It's when you buy a house that it gets crazy $$. But to visit? No problem. Last time I was there I ran into a big exec from CocaCola whose daughter goes to college with mine and we stood there together pouring sweat and swatting bugs like everybody else! It is not a snobby place at all. The mayor drinks beer with the regular folk at Dunleavy's on Sullivans Island and the Governor takes his kids to Poe's Tavern across the street. You can check their menu prices on the internet and you won't die from sticker shock. In fact, there is a Hampton Inn right next to the Town Center Shopping mall in Mount Pleasant that is very reasonable and convenient to everything. And PS, if you go there and ANYBODY gives you attitude, you just let me know. If they are Catholic, I'll have my cousin withhold forgiveness in the confessional. Otherwise, I still have enough friends there to make sure they apologize. And there's enough Jersey in me at this point that I will pick up the phone and raise a little you know what! Now, if you leave the sandbars of Sullivans Island and ISle of Palms and venture downtown, you're on your own. Someday I'm gonna write a book about the sine nobilitas that inhabit the peninsula! :smileyhappy:

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Fancy Schmantzy Lowcountry

dotfrank wrote:
You can visit the Lowcountry a million different ways. It's when you buy a house that it gets crazy $$. But to visit? No problem. Last time I was there I ran into a big exec from CocaCola whose daughter goes to college with mine and we stood there together pouring sweat and swatting bugs like everybody else! It is not a snobby place at all. The mayor drinks beer with the regular folk at Dunleavy's on Sullivans Island and the Governor takes his kids to Poe's Tavern across the street. You can check their menu prices on the internet and you won't die from sticker shock. In fact, there is a Hampton Inn right next to the Town Center Shopping mall in Mount Pleasant that is very reasonable and convenient to everything. And PS, if you go there and ANYBODY gives you attitude, you just let me know. If they are Catholic, I'll have my cousin withhold forgiveness in the confessional. Otherwise, I still have enough friends there to make sure they apologize. And there's enough Jersey in me at this point that I will pick up the phone and raise a little you know what! Now, if you leave the sandbars of Sullivans Island and ISle of Palms and venture downtown, you're on your own. Someday I'm gonna write a book about the sine nobilitas that inhabit the peninsula! :smileyhappy:

LOL, ok I will take your word for it Dot. I will also do a little web surfing about it, I love to plan out trips I may never even take but its fun to plan. Who knows, maybe someday :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Re: Fancy Schmantzy Lowcountry

dotfrank wrote:

Dot and All--

I'm laughing like crazy here!

Later--

Mair
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Dot, I see your online this morning lol. Just wanted to say, I did write a review on here for this book, this weekend but it says it takes about 3 days to post. I will be around today and tomorrow too but just in case, thanks again for joining us. Its been fun and yeah, you got a new fan here now :smileyhappy:. One day I will make it out that way to see these places you write about. That is more the south to me than here is. I dont know where they consider the south to stop and the southwest to begin lol. But when I think about north vs south in antebellum times and after "THE" war lol, I think of Charleston as the south. You have such wonderful accents compared to our hick ones out here. Makes me think of Gone with the Wind lol.

I really enjoy your characters and love their thought processes. Like I said early on, I found how Miriam thought, or the things she would LIKE to say, very humorous, even when she didnt come off that way to others lol. Mellie could do it tho. It was a great story of change and finding oneself. Her life did change a whole lot when she reached outside herself and inside of others and really listened and felt then. And about her making the first moves, the first call....my mother thought my younger brother didnt love her because he rarely called. Well thats just my brother, his brain is geared for calls to work and calls to his home and nothing more, never has been. If you talk to him he says, hey I think about calling you but I am working or its late at night and then I forget when I do have time but its so good to hear from you. I never take it personally because its like I told my mom....mom, the phone works both ways! Just call him, you know he loves to hear from you when you call, he loves you. She said well yes he does sound like he likes to talk to me when I call him but if he REALLY loved me, he would call me! I shouldnt have to call first!

I think people can get caught in this mindset and lose out on a lot of love and life. My brother has some learning disabilities and details like that just escape him, its no big deal, such a small thing considering the amount of love in him for everyone and life. He is probably the best of us all in my family. So her hanging on to that idea that its going to change now, when he is 42, or he doesnt love her, is depriving her of much time with someone who does love her and is great to be around. I called him a couple of weeks ago, to get together with him and his wife, they live about an hour away, and he didnt forget to ask her or call back because it was something "to do", and he called me back the next day,and we got together that week. She misses out on things because she "has to call first!" Its a real shame, and as I read your book, I was proud that Miriam reached out first on the phone and emotionally, to her sons and others and look what she gained from it. Its not about who calls first, its about connecting with love. If its there, who cares who made the first move, just thank goodness someone does. It opened up her whole life for her too and that was great to read. Thanks again, and if I dont see you today or tomorrow, ya'll be good and if you cant be good, be careful! :smileywink: Vivian
Vivian
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Vivico, Well, there you have it! Thanks for all of your wonderful comments too! It was great getting to know you - I have loved this - ok - now I have to finish my next book! Thanks again and all the best! Dot

Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

Any chance of getting you as a guest speaker for my students?
UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 717 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: