Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Sullivan's Island site

I was trying to find some pictures of Sullivan's Island. If anyone finds a sight with much more pictures please post here for us. I did find this site about it tho that I thought you might find interesting. A couple of pictures and some really interesting facts. I also now know exactly where it is too lol.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sullivan-s-Island-South-Carolina.html
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: Sullivan's Island site

vivico1 wrote:
I was trying to find some pictures of Sullivan's Island. If anyone finds a sight with much more pictures please post here for us. I did find this site about it tho that I thought you might find interesting. A couple of pictures and some really interesting facts. I also now know exactly where it is too lol.

My momma must be spinniing in her grave!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

My momma must be spinniing in her grave!

about what? lol
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Thanks for this; Viv
Frequent Contributor
kathleenOH
0 Kudos

I was spinning when I saw the average price of homes!!!!!!!

Is there anywhere to find an affordable cottage at the beach (I'm talking shabby chic not designer?)

Kathleen - OH
Kathleen - Ohio
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kathleenOH wrote:

Is there anywhere to find an affordable cottage at the beach (I'm talking shabby chic not designer?)

Kathleen - OH

I dont know if I could even afford the fine to sleep on the beach! :smileysurprised: lol
Vivian
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Momma would NEVER believe the prices for the houses or almost ANYTHING in that report!

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kathleenOH wrote:

Kathleen - OH

I dont know if I could even afford the fine to sleep on the beach! :smileysurprised: lol

Yea, Viv, I bet that is really up there too!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

It is hard to find pictures online of Sullivan's Island. Guess they want to keep us tourists out!

Best way to go about seeing some pics is to Google Sullivan's Island through their "Images" search.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
It is hard to find pictures online of Sullivan's Island. Guess they want to keep us tourists out!

Best way to go about seeing some pics is to Google Sullivan's Island through their "Images" search.

I saw some nice 2-3 million dollar homes for sale on the real estate part :smileysurprised:, nice homes, beautiful charm, and wonderful views....now I will get back to mowing my 2 1/2 acres. HEY, I am very thankful I have this little plot of land tho, could use a new house on it tho but God has blessed me to have a roof over my head and a plot of land I can call my own with the best sunsets and the best view of the stars at night, since I am not right in town. And I have a little waterpond with lillies and fish and a fountainhead in it that I can sit on my swing by, and just take in the sounds of water, the sights and breath cause I got a little room out here, and read there too if i want. I am happy, tired right now, hot, lol but happy :smileywink:
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I saw those homes as well- guess I'm not moving to SC because it's cheaper!

Your pond sounds lovely- we have one too, and you're right, it's very restful. Too hot to sit outside and read right now though!
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
I saw those homes as well- guess I'm not moving to SC because it's cheaper!

Your pond sounds lovely- we have one too, and you're right, it's very restful. Too hot to sit outside and read right now though!

try mowing in 100 degrees with humidity! I am dead for the day I think, been at it since 11:30am and its 3:45 now and I havent even eaten today. Time to stop! The weedeating will have to wait lol. Actually, I better stop, after 36 straight days of flooding rains before these last 4 dry days, it really is heat danger time. They said because the humidity from all the water everywhere is making it worse. There has been some heat related illnesses already and a couple of cases of heat stroke, so I have not stayed out more than 30 minutes at a time without a break and have kept a cold wet towel around my neck the whole time i was out. I love having my own place but sometimes the upkeep, geesh. Altho, I have to admit, if your not dying of heat, riding a riding lawnmower is actually pretty relaxing, it will loosen up those muscles lol and you do a lot of thinking then too, or singing old songs in your head. I have a friend that when her office job just has her nearly shredded says, I need to come out to your place and MOW lol, I guess its not the same mowing her little city yard with a push mower LOL!
Vivian
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

2 1/2 acres on Sullivans Island would be 4 million. When I was a kid you couldn't give it away!

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
2 1/2 acres on Sullivans Island would be 4 million. When I was a kid you couldn't give it away!

I bought my little piece of land 13 years ago for $6,500 (land only) and a darn good price. There are some homes going in up on a hill to the west of me, through another entrance off a highway there and they are $600,000+ average. They offered the woman just down the hill, between them and me $39,000 an acre for her land, you see, we are just mobile home folks out here, not a trailor park but just people who moved out here when there was nothing and put some homes, some mobile homes on the land. On my disability, it was a mobile home. I dont know if they will ever get over this far wanting to buy property, they have to get everyone to sell or they cant buy any. Cant have those priced homes, which out here is upper income, mixed with mobile homes of course and understandably but they sure want the land. I dont know if i would sell. That would be $90,000 for me for my $6.500 investment, not bad. But I do love my little corner lot and the ocassional deer I see, that they are running off by destroying the woods around here to build. I should just tell them if they get to this part, hey, just build me a smaller nice home I can have on my property that would blend with what you want around it and I will stay here and we can both have what we want LOL.
Vivian
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Housing is pricey down that way. I live in North Carolina and know of someone who just built a house in Charleston that has 9 bathrooms and an elevator; it's a 3 story behemoth. Don't know the price but you can imagine!
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

mowing and home

vivico1 wrote:
I love having my own place but sometimes the upkeep, geesh. Altho, I have to admit, if your not dying of heat, riding a riding lawnmower is actually pretty relaxing, it will loosen up those muscles lol and you do a lot of thinking then too, or singing old songs in your head. I have a friend that when her office job just has her nearly shredded says, I need to come out to your place and MOW lol, I guess its not the same mowing her little city yard with a push mower LOL!

I love to mow. I also find it very relaxing because it's a repetitive motion that you don't really have to think about, you're outside and you get to see instant results. We have a home with over 50 acres that has been in the family for three generations. Two generations farmed it but then other careers took precedent and my parents only farmed for a few years. We love it here and it's an amazing place to raise our kids. I also know all of the places to go and the things to do (I know exactly which stairs creek on the staircase if they were ever to sneak in late at night) so if my kids ever tried to pull a fast one, I may have already tried it! Although I was an angel :smileywink: and my kids have been pretty good too - knock wood!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

I saw some nice 2-3 million dollar homes for sale on the real estate part :smileysurprised:, nice homes, beautiful charm, and wonderful views....now I will get back to mowing my 2 1/2 acres. HEY, I am very thankful I have this little plot of land tho, could use a new house on it tho but God has blessed me to have a roof over my head and a plot of land I can call my own with the best sunsets and the best view of the stars at night, since I am not right in town. And I have a little waterpond with lillies and fish and a fountainhead in it that I can sit on my swing by, and just take in the sounds of water, the sights and breath cause I got a little room out here, and read there too if i want. I am happy, tired right now, hot, lol but happy :smileywink:

I can picture the view from here! How wonderful! I know you are proud of it and count your blessings. It probably means more to you than the 200-300 dollar beach homes cost. But really, most homes not are costing 400-500 so maybe that is cheap as far as the real estate market goes.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

I can picture the view from here! How wonderful! I know you are proud of it and count your blessings. It probably means more to you than the 200-300 dollar beach homes cost. But really, most homes not are costing 400-500 so maybe that is cheap as far as the real estate market goes.

I think I left alot of letters out of my words. Ha. Maybe its time I get off the pc. ha. Anyway I meant your little trailer probably means alot more to you and your little pond than the half million to a million homes mean to people . They are so involved in making money to pay for these, they do not enjoy living.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Vivian,

Stop mowing! At least the rain has stopped. I bet the grass is lush and green. Glad to hear you were resting.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

Stop mowing! At least the rain has stopped. I bet the grass is lush and green. Glad to hear you were resting.

Lush ain't the word for it! This is prairie grass, not regular lawn grass, so with all the rains it was like a jungle out there! In some places, it was as high as my knee, so I had to mow twice. It sure looks great when mowed tho, to look out over the place, it does then look like lawn grass then and everything is very green. I spent all day yesterday doing some online volunteer work that helps others do their geneology and helped a few others learn how to help too. My eyes were shot from allergies from mowing the day before lol ,but with a few breaks, i was able to keep it going online without too many mistakes I hope. I think the exhaustion has hit today tho, so may be a bit grumpy....and sneezy...and dopey LOL, hmmm did the seven dwarfs all suffer from allergies??
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online:58 members 447 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: