Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Thank You to All

As I previously mentioned, this is our last week to discuss Mango Sunsets with Dot Frank. It has been a wonderful month and I'd like to thank all of you for joining the book club and participating with such enthusiasm.

Dot - once again, it has been an honor to be with you here at B&N. My summer would not be the same without you. Thank you so much for sharing yourself with us, you are truly a great lady, and I look forward to your next book.

Hope to see you all in next months book clubs! Happy Reading-
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Thank You to All

Stephanie wrote:
As I previously mentioned, this is our last week to discuss Mango Sunsets with Dot Frank. It has been a wonderful month and I'd like to thank all of you for joining the book club and participating with such enthusiasm.

Dot - once again, it has been an honor to be with you here at B&N. My summer would not be the same without you. Thank you so much for sharing yourself with us, you are truly a great lady, and I look forward to your next book.

Hope to see you all in next months book clubs! Happy Reading-

Stephanie and Dot; There is not much I have enjoyed more than this read with you all and my many and mighty friends on this read. Thanks alot of you all! It has been really special. I hate for it to end. But all good things have to come to a end so we will know bad things when we see them. Is that a proverb or something. hehehehe Well anyway its been fun! Hope to see all of you later on somewhere!
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

What? it's over? I have to go write now???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO . . .

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Dot don't go!!

dotfrank wrote:

We're still here Dot and we hate to lose you...(hint, hint) :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

Re: Dot don't go!!

Dot
I have to go to Clemson tomorrow to see the family and celebrate my nephew's 1st Birthday on Sat. ( his birthday was today, Thurs Aug 2) so I just want to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for a wonderful time, in case I don't get in here on Friday.
I'm going to miss this group and all the wonderful camaraderie that the group has had.
Maybe I'll see you on Sullivan's since I have family on Mt. Pleasant and Isle of Palms. If not I'll see you on your next book tour, either in Charlotte or Litchfield.
Let me know about the oyster roast...LOL..as long as there is cold beer, I am there.

By the way, did you mention that you have a relative in the Catholic Church in the LowCountry...I think my cousin goes to Stella Maris.

Well anyway, thanks again and hope to talk to or see you soon. Hopefully I will be able to check in Friday.

CAT
UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Dot don't go!!

Wrighty wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

We're still here Dot and we hate to lose you...(hint, hint) :smileyhappy:

Yes, "Mam" write,write,write, so You can visit again "REAL SOON"
Contributor
Liz1017
0 Kudos

Thank you for everything, Dot and Stephanie!
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Miracles at The NJ DMV

You've heard the stories about the Department of Motor Vehicles in NJ and how people are sitting up dead in their chairs waiting to be called? AIN'T true any more! They now have a greeter, like WalMart, and I was in and out of there in less time that it took my car to get hot - it's 95 in the hsade here today. Holy hopping speed demons, Batman! That's why it took me so long to sign in today. I went to the SS Bureay this morning at 8:30 - did a little paper work on a name change deal that also took ten minutes. Then I drove out to Totowa and did the driver's license thing. Then I went to the grocery store and spent a zilion dollars on everything since there's nothing to eat in my house. Anyway, here's a first. I'm bragging on the NJDMV. And it just happens to be run by a genius girlfriend of mine from ages ago, Sharon Harrington who made all the changes to fix a nightmare of a system. Wow. What a day!

Contributor
Liz1017
0 Kudos

Re: Miracles at The NJ DMV

dotfrank wrote:
You've heard the stories about the Department of Motor Vehicles in NJ and how people are sitting up dead in their chairs waiting to be called? AIN'T true any more! They now have a greeter, like WalMart, and I was in and out of there in less time that it took my car to get hot - it's 95 in the hsade here today. Holy hopping speed demons, Batman! That's why it took me so long to sign in today. I went to the SS Bureay this morning at 8:30 - did a little paper work on a name change deal that also took ten minutes. Then I drove out to Totowa and did the driver's license thing. Then I went to the grocery store and spent a zilion dollars on everything since there's nothing to eat in my house. Anyway, here's a first. I'm bragging on the NJDMV. And it just happens to be run by a genius girlfriend of mine from ages ago, Sharon Harrington who made all the changes to fix a nightmare of a system. Wow. What a day!

Dot,
I think that it's a prerequisite that all DMVs must follow - make sure the person is dead before you call their number!!! Not to forget their other rule of thumb - Pick out one person and follow them in line (that person would be you, having waited and beaten death to make it to the front of the line) and wait until they are next to be called, then close your window and make sure the other tellers are busy doing something else for someone else and just walk around behind the counter. I think it's how they stay sane!! I know I would mess with people if I worked there!!
It's not fair that your DMV got all nice and decided to have a greeter!

Have a great rest of the summer! I hear that you are working on a ghost story????? When's that coming out? Can't wait!!!!!

Liz
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Dot,

Send Sharon to NY - I'm pretty sure the DMV is still a nightmare there.

Glad you got your errands run early, before your groceries were cooking on the way home. It's hotter than ever here today too- but a first! no rain today. I was starting to forget that I live in the Sunshine State.
Stephanie
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

A greeter at the DMV??? No way!! Can't they just use that person to open another window? It is good to hear that they've overhauled the system there. That is a miracle and a great break for you Dot. It does help that you can do more and more on line. I don't know if you all have it already but our DMV is going to allow people to take the test for their permit on line instead of in person. How do they do the photo though?

You're right about the rule of thumb Liz. Another one seems to be if you do make it to the window after a one hour wait and no one has shut it in your face, you will inevitably be in the wrong line. Then you have to move to the end of the correct line (you don't even get credit for the long wait, they make you go to the end), wait another hour to do your business and when you finish at that window they send you back to the first window for something else. Of course you need to get lucky enough to follow a cute elderly couple in each line who have just moved to the state and they are registering every vehicle, boat, trailer, RV, motorcycle, bicycle, tricycle...that they have ever owned. The last time that happened to me (and it did) and my 16-year-old permit taking son I had a book to read and he was playing with his phone. Quality bonding time. He did get a perfect score on his test though!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

All of these horror stories! I'm trying to think back to the last time I've had to stand in one of those lines at the DMV. You've drawn such vivid pictures! But I honestly can't remember. My car, I take care of the tags or anything related, at the Auto Club, about five minutes....my driver's licence keeps getting renewed in the mail, so I've lucked out there....the same picture stays, I love it! Now, if I can get my weight to stay the same as what it says on my licence, and the color of my hair to match the picture, I'd be happy! I know, I can hear to boo-hooing. :smileyvery-happy:
Best to all!

Kathy
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Final comment on the DMV

Well, just so you know, I lied about my weight. My mother said it was rude to ask a lady her weight and I think she was right. It is still hotter than Hades here today adn for come crazy reason I made borscht! Craving beets! Y'all have a wonderful summer and I hope to see you all again! Tell your friends! And THE CHRISTMAS PEARL, my Gullah ghost story will be out October 23. If any of y'all want a signed book plate to give it as a Christmas gift, shoot me an email at dot@dotfrank.com! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Final comment on the DMV

dotfrank wrote:
Well, just so you know, I lied about my weight. My mother said it was rude to ask a lady her weight and I think she was right. It is still hotter than Hades here today adn for come crazy reason I made borscht! Craving beets! Y'all have a wonderful summer and I hope to see you all again! Tell your friends! And THE CHRISTMAS PEARL, my Gullah ghost story will be out October 23. If any of y'all want a signed book plate to give it as a Christmas gift, shoot me an email at dot@dotfrank.com! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dot, just sent my email to you already. Its been great to visit with you. This really has been like a visit. Thanks so much for being here and a part of this club. And thank you for sharing your talent with us to enjoy too. Its been fun. We will be looking for your next club time with us. Thanks again. :smileywink: Vivian
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:
A greeter at the DMV??? No way!! Can't they just use that person to open another window? It is good to hear that they've overhauled the system there. That is a miracle and a great break for you Dot. It does help that you can do more and more on line. I don't know if you all have it already but our DMV is going to allow people to take the test for their permit on line instead of in person. How do they do the photo though?

You're right about the rule of thumb Liz. Another one seems to be if you do make it to the window after a one hour wait and no one has shut it in your face, you will inevitably be in the wrong line. Then you have to move to the end of the correct line (you don't even get credit for the long wait, they make you go to the end), wait another hour to do your business and when you finish at that window they send you back to the first window for something else. Of course you need to get lucky enough to follow a cute elderly couple in each line who have just moved to the state and they are registering every vehicle, boat, trailer, RV, motorcycle, bicycle, tricycle...that they have ever owned. The last time that happened to me (and it did) and my 16-year-old permit taking son I had a book to read and he was playing with his phone. Quality bonding time. He did get a perfect score on his test though!

Maybe the picture does not change. Wrighty. That reminds me, I took a picture 5 yrs ago that was so good, so good, I never want to change it ever!! But dumb little me, lost the permit and had to go replace it and darn if they didn't take another picture of me. Ohhh! THat thing was horrible. I had gained some weight, and for me, I gain weight right in the fat jaw face of mine. And I hate it. My hair looked horrible, it wasn't enought frosting in it. I really look like dracula's mother. Honest Abe! It was horrible. The coloring was terrible. So I found my old liscense in the bottom of my carseat, and guess which one I am losing now! Yeah! you are right! I will keep that picture forever! Forever!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

Maybe the picture does not change. Wrighty. That reminds me, I took a picture 5 yrs ago that was so good, so good, I never want to change it ever!! But dumb little me, lost the permit and had to go replace it and darn if they didn't take another picture of me. Ohhh! THat thing was horrible. I had gained some weight, and for me, I gain weight right in the fat jaw face of mine. And I hate it. My hair looked horrible, it wasn't enought frosting in it. I really look like dracula's mother. Honest Abe! It was horrible. The coloring was terrible. So I found my old liscense in the bottom of my carseat, and guess which one I am losing now! Yeah! you are right! I will keep that picture forever! Forever!

State law here, you HAVE to have a new picture made with your renewal which only makes sense. I am surprised they let you use old pics there or do any of it through the mail! The updated pictures are for the protection of the officers in recognition and also often used for identification of bodies at the scene of a bad accident. You can sometimes talk them into a different pic at the time they do it, if they are nice and not busy but its manditory in any state I have lived in. I will be interested to see how mine turns out because what is on there now is before my big weight loss. lol. What I wished they would let you do is have a booth there, where you can take several pictures yourself, pick out which one you like and give that one to them at the desk to use. If they let you use one you brought it, it could be a glamore shots one LOL and half the women out there would not look like their pics in real life lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

State law here, you HAVE to have a new picture made with your renewal which only makes sense. I am surprised they let you use old pics there or do any of it through the mail! The updated pictures are for the protection of the officers in recognition and also often used for identification of bodies at the scene of a bad accident. You can sometimes talk them into a different pic at the time they do it, if they are nice and not busy but its manditory in any state I have lived in. I will be interested to see how mine turns out because what is on there now is before my big weight loss. lol. What I wished they would let you do is have a booth there, where you can take several pictures yourself, pick out which one you like and give that one to them at the desk to use. If they let you use one you brought it, it could be a glamore shots one LOL and half the women out there would not look like their pics in real life lol.

No, Virginia allows you to use the same picture. But if they don't I will make them take mine over until it looks like a human. I will not show that horrible thing that they gave me in the one that I lost. Never!!!!!!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Kiakar wrote:
No, Virginia allows you to use the same picture. But if they don't I will make them take mine over until it looks like a human. I will not show that horrible thing that they gave me in the one that I lost. Never!!!!!!

I told the girl at the DMV here, why dont you just take a picture of me like I will look when the cop is at my window, so he will know its really me? She said ok, whatever you want, as she kind of giggled. I said ok take it when i turn to you. So I turned away then looked back and up with a frown and like i was crying hehe. She snapped it, then looked at it and was cracking up, she looked around to show someone i guess lol but then she said, no no, we better do it right lol. I said oh yes, for sure, I would hate to use that one at a Walmart or something for ID when i use a credit card, tho sometimes prices make me look that way too LOL. She took another one. Frankly, I dont think it was better ROFL.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

dotfrank wrote:
... Y'all have a wonderful summer and I hope to see you all again! Tell your friends! And THE CHRISTMAS PEARL, my Gullah ghost story will be out October 23. If any of y'all want a signed book plate to give it as a Christmas gift, shoot me an email at dot@dotfrank.com!

Okay, I went on dot@dotfrank.com, but where do I request the signed book plate? I'd love to get one.

blonde :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

dotfrank wrote:
... Y'all have a wonderful summer and I hope to see you all again! Tell your friends! And THE CHRISTMAS PEARL, my Gullah ghost story will be out October 23. If any of y'all want a signed book plate to give it as a Christmas gift, shoot me an email at dot@dotfrank.com!

Okay, I went on dot@dotfrank.com, but where do I request the signed book plate? I'd love to get one.

blonde :smileywink:

umm, I thought that was her email address and sent it there. Looks like one to me. And she said email me. Did you go to her website you mean?
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 22 members 578 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: