Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Thanks to Dot, Stephanie, and everyone

Stephanie wrote:

dotfrank wrote:
My greatest wish is that my stories make us all more understanding and tolerant of each other but that we also learn to forgive ourselves for the really stupid things we do, pick up the pieces and move on.

Dot,

You have done that for me, again and again and again. I do a lot of stupid things.

I was just thinking about what you've said here, Stephanie....and what Dot has said, about her wishes.....I can't help but feel, too, that that is exactly what we get from reading her stories...

Realizing the understanding and tolerance we have to have, not only to have for each of her characters in her stories, but seeing how she brings it home to me, to apply to myself and to others. This particular story and discussion, hit me between the eyes.

I don't care how old I get, there isn't a day that goes by in which I don't look upon those stupid things that I've said or done....and then reflect back to see and feel the forgivness that Dot puts into her characters, and I hope I can learn from them - And the understanding and tollerance I should not only have for myself, but more importantly, for others.

I give love and huge thanks to you, Dot, for being here - for giving of your time, kind thoughts and words, and especially for giving me your gift of your stories. Over these many years, I have never stop learning from you. And if you ever do write that memoir, I know it will contain every bit of what I've seen all along...your heart and your soul. And thanks to your sister, Twinksista/Mimi/Lynn for her contribution...it was great meeting her!

........Many thanks and appreciation to you, Miss Stephanie, as always, for leading the way....

and sincerely these wishes go to everyone here, more than you know.

Kathy S.
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks to Dot, Stephanie, and everyone

Kathy, Dot, Steph, and All--

Kathy, I loved your wonderful thanks to everyone. You do have a way with words.

I, too, have enjoyed being back at a B & N Book Club. It's been fun and insightful.

Thanks, Dot, for writing such wonderful books and for joining us here.

Steph, you always do a great job moderating. As I've told you before--you ARE my favorite moderator.

Thanks also to all the participants and hope to see you all at another B & N Book Club.

And a special thanks to Cindersue for the Blackberry Pie recipe.

Later--

Mair
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks to Dot and all

Hi, this is Janet the latecomer from Central FL. Looks like it is time to wrap up. Once again, I am not sure when the group actually ends, but I will probably be signing off on this one.

Dot, it's been great being able to "talk with you" through this discussion group. I love hearing your perspective on your characters, plot, setting, etc. I just finished "Pawley's Island" last night. I loved the references to Hurricanes Charlie and Gaston.
When I started reading the book, I hadn't noticed the publication date. As I read on, I realized that you were referring to that same infamous Hurricane Charley that wiped out our infrastructure here in Central, Fl in August, 2004. We were without electricity more than a week, so I didn't even know til I read your book that Hurricane Charley hit S.C. Funny story, on day 5 of no electricity, no A/C, no access to ice, problems with access to gas, etc, I called my husband at work (YES HE HAD A/C) and told him I was going to Myrtle Beach, SC. He thought I was crazed. He reminded me it was a full day drive from where we live. That is precisely why I chose it. I wanted to go far enough away to get electricity, A/C, etc. Anyhow, even if I was crazed, HE LEFT WORK IMMEDIATELY and decided to join us. We ended up going to Georgia, a mere 2-4 hours away....and found everything my heart desired, more D batteries, baking soda, chlorox, ice, a laundramat, and A/C.
Until last night, I didn't realize that Hurricane Charley had blown through SC, so it might not have been the best destination to "get away from it all." Anyhow, love your novels. Thanks for your tips on where to stay and what to do, if we go to Charleston/Pawley's Island/ Wild Dunes over Thanksgiving. I hope to meet up with you, again at another B&N discussion group.

To Stephanie, thanks for being our moderator. What upcoming discussions are you moderating.

To all of my fellow readers, I have enjoyed being with all of you, both new and old friends. I look forward to seeing you in a future Dot book discussion group, if not sooner.

Janet
Contributor
sarahsal
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks to Dot, Stephanie, and everyone

I echo a great big THANK YOU to everyone. Dot, I love your books and your willingness to take the time to share yourself with all of us. What a thrill it is when I walk into my local Barnes and Noble just a nice stroll from my house and see a new DBF Novel......the cover on this one was BEAUTIFUL....living in Peoria, IL I am a long way from South Carolina but how the ocean does live in my heart and soul and what a wonderful trip you give through your books!....thanks again to all.....Sarah
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:
Hi, this is Janet the latecomer from Central FL. Looks like it is time to wrap up. Once again, I am not sure when the group actually ends, but I will probably be signing off on this one.

Dot, it's been great being able to "talk with you" through this discussion group. I love hearing your perspective on your characters, plot, setting, etc. I just finished "Pawley's Island" last night. I loved the references to Hurricanes Charlie and Gaston.
When I started reading the book, I hadn't noticed the publication date. As I read on, I realized that you were referring to that same infamous Hurricane Charley that wiped out our infrastructure here in Central, Fl in August, 2004. We were without electricity more than a week, so I didn't even know til I read your book that Hurricane Charley hit S.C. Funny story, on day 5 of no electricity, no A/C, no access to ice, problems with access to gas, etc, I called my husband at work (YES HE HAD A/C) and told him I was going to Myrtle Beach, SC. He thought I was crazed. He reminded me it was a full day drive from where we live. That is precisely why I chose it. I wanted to go far enough away to get electricity, A/C, etc. Anyhow, even if I was crazed, HE LEFT WORK IMMEDIATELY and decided to join us. We ended up going to Georgia, a mere 2-4 hours away....and found everything my heart desired, more D batteries, baking soda, chlorox, ice, a laundramat, and A/C.
Until last night, I didn't realize that Hurricane Charley had blown through SC, so it might not have been the best destination to "get away from it all." Anyhow, love your novels. Thanks for your tips on where to stay and what to do, if we go to Charleston/Pawley's Island/ Wild Dunes over Thanksgiving. I hope to meet up with you, again at another B&N discussion group.

To Stephanie, thanks for being our moderator. What upcoming discussions are you moderating.

To all of my fellow readers, I have enjoyed being with all of you, both new and old friends. I look forward to seeing you in a future Dot book discussion group, if not sooner.

Janet

Well, hurricanes are no joke and I am glad you found some relief. When I was a kid we had some HUGE ones that sent us to shelters because my mother didn't believe in leaving the island. When The police insisted, she relented. We would spend the night in a public school eating Krispy Kreme donots sleeping on cots. I thought it was fabulous - like a giant sleepover. But now I don't laugh about them, especially after Katrina. Anyway, let's hope this August is calm and September too. I have a book to finish so that we can do this - I hope! - next year! Y'all have a great summer and I'll be here until Tuesday! Dot

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Really glad everyone is enjoying the group- I don't think we're done yet though, so hang in there!

It's always terrific to hear that people are enjoying the books, authors and reading groups. The B&N book clubs are really special to me, and I hope you all know that I feel it's an honor to be reading with all of you.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Really glad everyone is enjoying the group- I don't think we're done yet though, so hang in there!

It's always terrific to hear that people are enjoying the books, authors and reading groups. The B&N book clubs are really special to me, and I hope you all know that I feel it's an honor to be reading with all of you.

whats your next book to moderate steph?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

In August I'll be moderating for Vicki Pettersson's The Taste of Night, James Rollins' The Judas Strain, and Javier Sierra's The Lady in Blue.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
In August I'll be moderating for Vicki Pettersson's The Taste of Night, James Rollins' The Judas Strain, and Javier Sierra's The Lady in Blue.

I bought the Judas Strain, but havent started it yet, tomorrow I will start. Sound like an intriguing sci fi thriller. I wouldn't have taken you for the sci fi thriller type steph. lol, thought about the lady in blue since it takes place, I think, in some areas out west where I grew up, but the idea of taking a bit of real history, and a bit of real life mystery and building a sci fi horror/thriller story out of it, intrigued me so I went for the Judas Strain.
Who knows Dot, I may need one of your books after it lol, and I got one too :smileywink: Plus, anyone thats into Harlan Coben, as Kiakar said, some of us are going to try to do our own club on one thread in the community room on his book, Tell No One, so come see us there if your interested.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online:13 members 335 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: