Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Unrelated Questions for Dot

Here's a section to ask Dot about anything un-related to The Land of Mango Sunsets.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

The Christmas Pearl

Dot,

Any hints about The Christmas Pearl? I'm looking forward to its release come October. :smileyhappy:
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Unrelated Questions for Dot

Stephanie wrote:
Here's a section to ask Dot about anything un-related to The Land of Mango Sunsets.

ok :smileyhappy: hey dot, if E=MC2 then it follows by simple algebra that M= E/C2 right? sooo if thats true, then all we are, M (mass) is just energy (E) divided by the speed of light (C2), or in other words, we are light, slowed down to gather into mass of a particular form huh. Now, following that, if you think about it (and I am not a trekkie but loved Star Trek), then the idea of teletransportation where one's particles are scrambled into light and recombined into that same matter at a different location, is actually possible if we could manipulate our matter at the speed of light right? Wouldn't u agree Dot, that Einstein's theory then, has some interesting possibilities and like many things of today that were once seen as science fiction are science fact! Like, just back a couple of decades, the computer took up a huge huge room or many rooms, to process information, yet today, its on a tiny microchip in that little computer on your lap or desktop. Wouldnt you agree Dot?? :smileyhappy:

ROFL. ok, just being silly, since you said we could ask her anythng "unrelated" to the book here lol. But just so you know, that is what the theory does prove LOL. Ok,I have been in the 100+ heat mowing a couple of acres wayyyyy too long today huh? :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Soap Opera

[ Edited ]
Dot,
I'm still wondering what happened to the soap opera situation last year? Were you a creator, a writer, or both? Did it get dumped, shelved or put on hold?

Inquiring minds want to know! :smileyhappy:

Kathy S.

p.s. - have you read Sue's book,Firstlight, yet? I had loaned my copy to a friend of mine. Between the two of us, there were no dry eyes....she's getting a copy for all of her sisters. Tell Sue, for me, it's a beautiful little book!

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-18-2007 02:25 PM
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: The Christmas Pearl

LizzieAnn wrote:
Dot,

Any hints about The Christmas Pearl? I'm looking forward to its release come October. :smileyhappy:

Sorry, my server was down for a while today. The Christmas Pearl? Yep. Think Super Nanny, dead, Gullah, cranky, pockets loaded with magic and coming to your house to straightened your you-know-what out! It's for all ages and a small inexpensive book with all my family's holiday recipes in the back, courtesy my sister!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: Soap Opera

KathyS wrote:
Dot,
I'm still wondering what happened to the soap opera situation last year? Were you a creator, a writer, or both? Did it get dumped, shelved or put on hold?

Kathy S.

p.s. - have you read Sue's book,Firstlight, yet? I had loaned my copy to a friend of mine. Between the two of us, there were no dry eyes....she's getting a copy for all of her sisters. Tell Sue, for me, it's a beautiful little book!

Lifetime said my protagonists are too old for their viewers. FOX, CBS, ABC and ABC had zero interest - could have something to do with the fact that the people listening to the pitch were 25 years old max. But the movie continues for PLANTATION and so I am still hopeful.

HUGE thanks for FIRST LIGHT. It is a gorgeous little book and your thoughtfulness is thrilling!

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

ok :smileyhappy: hey dot, if E=MC2 then it follows by simple algebra that M= E/C2 right? sooo if thats true, then all we are, M (mass) is just energy (E) divided by the speed of light (C2), or in other words, we are light, slowed down to gather into mass of a particular form huh. Now, following that, if you think about it (and I am not a trekkie but loved Star Trek), then the idea of teletransportation where one's particles are scrambled into light and recombined into that same matter at a different location, is actually possible if we could manipulate our matter at the speed of light right? Wouldn't u agree Dot, that Einstein's theory then, has some interesting possibilities and like many things of today that were once seen as science fiction are science fact! Like, just back a couple of decades, the computer took up a huge huge room or many rooms, to process information, yet today, its on a tiny microchip in that little computer on your lap or desktop. Wouldnt you agree Dot?? :smileyhappy:

ROFL. ok, just being silly, since you said we could ask her anythng "unrelated" to the book here lol. But just so you know, that is what the theory does prove LOL. Ok,I have been in the 100+ heat mowing a couple of acres wayyyyy too long today huh? :smileywink:

It equals a Diet Pepsi with ice.

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Sounds terrific! Can't wait for it to come out. :smileyhappy:

dotfrank wrote:

Sorry, my server was down for a while today. The Christmas Pearl? Yep. Think Super Nanny, dead, Gullah, cranky, pockets loaded with magic and coming to your house to straightened your you-know-what out! It's for all ages and a small inexpensive book with all my family's holiday recipes in the back, courtesy my sister!

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

It equals a Diet Pepsi with ice.

Dang Dot, your right! and my favorite drink too! well the diet caffeine free pepsi on LOTS of ice! :smileywink:

I don't have a lot of questions other than from the book actually, or some that I have asked already about where you live out there because this was the first of your books I have read, and I didnt know you had some of these other projects either. I do want to say tho Dot, I did enjoy this book very much and glad I got in on it while you were here. There are a lot of things I can't relate to, but those are mainly just because they are regional things, thus we had a lot of talks on threads about what is this or that. But I did want to say, a lot in this book I could relate to, or just really liked because it was, well, just a very good book to escape the day with in one's favorite little nook. You have a great sense of humor, but also a wonderful writing style of inner feelings about important things to people. Your mixture of humor and poignancy made this a very nice book to read, very enjoyable. It may not be goodbye time yet but still just want to say, thank you for sharing this story with us and ty for being in this club with us. So you have something coming out in October called The Christmas Pearl? Will have to look out for it. Thanks again Dot, Vivian
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Soap Opera

dotfrank wrote:

KathyS wrote:
Dot,

Kathy S.

Lifetime said my protagonists are too old for their viewers. FOX, CBS, ABC and ABC had zero interest - could have something to do with the fact that the people listening to the pitch were 25 years old max. But the movie continues for PLANTATION and so I am still hopeful.

HUGE thanks for FIRST LIGHT. It is a gorgeous little book and your thoughtfulness is thrilling!

Dot, sorry about that LA situation. Those people don't have a clue what Lifetime viewers want...

But how exciting! I'm more than thrilled about Plantation, making its way to the big screen!!! After it comes out, those *kids* will be clamoring to get you to sign!! Mark my words!

On the set....hang around if you can...they'll surely ask you to be in it...a cameo! I'll buy it on DVD, even if you're not in it, but wouldn't that be a hoot if you could be!......maybe the whole family! :smileyvery-happy:

You've certainly come a long way since Sullivan's Island, always my first love.

K.
KathyS
0 Kudos

dun ordered it! Whatever the cost! My Christmas is starting early this year. I can always stand to have my you-know-what straightened out...whatever that is! Everything about me is wrinkled these days, so I could use all the help I can get!
K.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Sounds terrific! Can't wait for it to come out. :smileyhappy:

dotfrank wrote:

Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote: ... You have a great sense of humor, but also a wonderful writing style of inner feelings about important things to people. Your mixture of humor and poignancy made this a very nice book to read, very enjoyable. It may not be goodbye time yet but still just want to say, thank you for sharing this story with us and ty for being in this club with us. So you have something coming out in October called The Christmas Pearl? Will have to look out for it. Thanks again Dot, Vivian

You should check out Dot's website. There are more books for us to read! Yea! Impressive website. :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I always add Christmas books to my library each year, and I'm looking forward to adding this one to complete my collection of Dot's books. I love when authors do seasonal books! :smileyvery-happy:

KathyS wrote:
dun ordered it! Whatever the cost! My Christmas is starting early this year. I can always stand to have my you-know-what straightened out...whatever that is! Everything about me is wrinkled these days, so I could use all the help I can get!
K.

Liz ♥ ♥

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
I always add Christmas books to my library each year, and I'm looking forward to adding this one to complete my collection of Dot's books. I love when authors do seasonal books! :smileyvery-happy:

I do too! I try to read as many as I can during the holidays, especially Christmas. I like when they are the short little books but still long enough to get the important information in. They add to the holiday spirit.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Thank you Dot!

Dot,
I just wanted to tell you how much we appreciate your being so involved in this discussion. I'm sure authors have busy schedules and it isn't always easy to contribute to these clubs but you have spent more time here than any other author I've heard from. I think it would even be safe to say that you have participated more than all of them put together in the last several months. I enjoyed chatting with all of them and appreciated what they had to say but some weren't here much. I know it was often beyond their control and some had new books to promote at the same time so I'm not saying this against them. I'm just saying this in favor of you. Having you here has added so much to the club. You are so fun, friendly and very accessible and now you've gained many new fans. Thank you for your books and for joining us this month. I will be sure to join in every time your books are being discussed. And I can't wait to head south! :smileytongue:
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Thanks! The talented staff at HArper COllins helped me redesign the web site and I like it - it's very cleaned up looking and easy to navigate. I will tell them what you said!

cindersue wrote:

vivico1 wrote: ... You have a great sense of humor, but also a wonderful writing style of inner feelings about important things to people. Your mixture of humor and poignancy made this a very nice book to read, very enjoyable. It may not be goodbye time yet but still just want to say, thank you for sharing this story with us and ty for being in this club with us. So you have something coming out in October called The Christmas Pearl? Will have to look out for it. Thanks again Dot, Vivian

You should check out Dot's website. There are more books for us to read! Yea! Impressive website. :smileywink:

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: Thank you Dot!

Wrighty, Thanks for the kind words. Lemme tell you something - and Stephanie this is the truth and not to suck up - but B&N has been SO GOOD to me and I am so honored to be asked to participate and at the end of the day, there is nothing I want MORE than to know my readers and hear what they think. It makes my writing better, I hope because I want to write stories I want to tell but to write them in a way you want to hear them. Getting to know my readers keeps my writing on track for them. Sometimes I want to write more seriously and when I do - like in FULL OF GRACE - I catch the devil from readers. I have to remind myself that it's important to tell the story I want to tell but to be entertaining at the same time. This is not always an easy thing to accomplish. Anyway, all that said, my time in this online bookclub is so well worth it and I love love love being here. xxx to all!

Wrighty wrote:
Dot,
I just wanted to tell you how much we appreciate your being so involved in this discussion. I'm sure authors have busy schedules and it isn't always easy to contribute to these clubs but you have spent more time here than any other author I've heard from. I think it would even be safe to say that you have participated more than all of them put together in the last several months. I enjoyed chatting with all of them and appreciated what they had to say but some weren't here much. I know it was often beyond their control and some had new books to promote at the same time so I'm not saying this against them. I'm just saying this in favor of you. Having you here has added so much to the club. You are so fun, friendly and very accessible and now you've gained many new fans. Thank you for your books and for joining us this month. I will be sure to join in every time your books are being discussed. And I can't wait to head south! :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

Ditto to what Wrighty said. It really does mean a lot that you take the time to chat with us and get to know your readers. Also, it is so awesome that you take the time to go on a book tour.
I love all of your books, I can't decide which is my favorite, it used to be a toss up between SULLIVAN'S and PAWLEYS but now I would definitely have to throw in MANGO SUNSETS. I shared your books with my superintendent who retired at the end of this past year and she too fell in love with them. I gave her a copy of LAND OF MANGO SUNSETS so she could take a little piece of SC with her. Keep up the good work, I look forward to each new one.
Also, will you ever do the recording for one of your books on CD again? I loved listening to PAWLEYS (after I read it of course).

CAT

dotfrank wrote:
Wrighty, Thanks for the kind words. Lemme tell you something - and Stephanie this is the truth and not to suck up - but B&N has been SO GOOD to me and I am so honored to be asked to participate and at the end of the day, there is nothing I want MORE than to know my readers and hear what they think. It makes my writing better, I hope because I want to write stories I want to tell but to write them in a way you want to hear them. Getting to know my readers keeps my writing on track for them. Sometimes I want to write more seriously and when I do - like in FULL OF GRACE - I catch the devil from readers. I have to remind myself that it's important to tell the story I want to tell but to be entertaining at the same time. This is not always an easy thing to accomplish. Anyway, all that said, my time in this online bookclub is so well worth it and I love love love being here. xxx to all!

Wrighty wrote:
Dot,

UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

So I read that one book for Audio Production and guess what? Most people don't know there is a huge difference between "author readings" and "dramatic presentations." I am not an actress and I read Pawleys as a favor to my great and fabulous friend at Brilliance Audio, Eileen Hutton who was caught in a time crunch. I dragged my fat butt into Manhattan every day for two weeks in the snow and ice and read the book into a mike with the worst case of acid refulx because I had just quit smoking and my body was freaking out. It was a misery. The net net is that I got a zilion emails from a zillion nice people tellng me that there were "actually people out there who did this for a living and mayne I should give it up to the professionals," as though I had done this as an ego tip. Um. No. Never again. But for Eileen Hutton, maybe. As long as they say it is an AUTHORS READING and not a DRAMATIC PRESENTATION. Gee-by-golly - sometimes you can't win, you knwo?

Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

Well I thought you did a FABULOUS job reading it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 552 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: