Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: Thank you Dot!

Thanks but that's only because they cut out my noisy esophagus - how do you spell that anyway?

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

As Wrighty said, we're very grateful for your active participation. I personally loved Full of Grace, and it was through the B&N discussion that I became acquainted with your books. Full of Grace was the first of your books that I read, and after that - I've read them all. I have a nice little nook on my bookshelf of just your books.

Keep writing! And here's to hoping we keep seeing you here on the boards!

dotfrank wrote:
Wrighty, Thanks for the kind words. Lemme tell you something - and Stephanie this is the truth and not to suck up - but B&N has been SO GOOD to me and I am so honored to be asked to participate and at the end of the day, there is nothing I want MORE than to know my readers and hear what they think. It makes my writing better, I hope because I want to write stories I want to tell but to write them in a way you want to hear them. Getting to know my readers keeps my writing on track for them. Sometimes I want to write more seriously and when I do - like in FULL OF GRACE - I catch the devil from readers. I have to remind myself that it's important to tell the story I want to tell but to be entertaining at the same time. This is not always an easy thing to accomplish. Anyway, all that said, my time in this online bookclub is so well worth it and I love love love being here. xxx to all!

Wrighty wrote:
Dot,
I just wanted to tell you how much we appreciate your being so involved in this discussion. I'm sure authors have busy schedules and it isn't always easy to contribute to these clubs but you have spent more time here than any other author I've heard from. I think it would even be safe to say that you have participated more than all of them put together in the last several months. I enjoyed chatting with all of them and appreciated what they had to say but some weren't here much. I know it was often beyond their control and some had new books to promote at the same time so I'm not saying this against them. I'm just saying this in favor of you. Having you here has added so much to the club. You are so fun, friendly and very accessible and now you've gained many new fans. Thank you for your books and for joining us this month. I will be sure to join in every time your books are being discussed. And I can't wait to head south! :smileytongue:

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: The Christmas Pearl

They are a lot of fun. I too like how they're smaller books (in size). I always re-read them as well as add to them come the holiday season. Looks like Dot's will be the first of the season!

Wrighty wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:
I always add Christmas books to my library each year, and I'm looking forward to adding this one to complete my collection of Dot's books. I love when authors do seasonal books! :smileyvery-happy:

I do too! I try to read as many as I can during the holidays, especially Christmas. I like when they are the short little books but still long enough to get the important information in. They add to the holiday spirit.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:
Dot,

Any hints about The Christmas Pearl? I'm looking forward to its release come October. :smileyhappy:

Sorry, my server was down for a while today. The Christmas Pearl? Yep. Think Super Nanny, dead, Gullah, cranky, pockets loaded with magic and coming to your house to straightened your you-know-what out! It's for all ages and a small inexpensive book with all my family's holiday recipes in the back, courtesy my sister!

It sounds like it would be a great book to read to my 9th grade students before Christmas. They love to be read to and it'll have some things related to geography and culture. Perfect!

Later--

Mair
Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

That sounds great...I might have to read it to my 8th grade SC History classes...we talk about gullah so it will be really neat to share with them.
CAT

mairwill wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:
Dot,

Any hints about The Christmas Pearl? I'm looking forward to its release come October. :smileyhappy:

Sorry, my server was down for a while today. The Christmas Pearl? Yep. Think Super Nanny, dead, Gullah, cranky, pockets loaded with magic and coming to your house to straightened your you-know-what out! It's for all ages and a small inexpensive book with all my family's holiday recipes in the back, courtesy my sister!

It sounds like it would be a great book to read to my 9th grade students before Christmas. They love to be read to and it'll have some things related to geography and culture. Perfect!

Later--

Mair

UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Dot,

I know you're not the type to suck up.:smileyhappy:

As to Full of Grace - it's still one of my favorites. Too serious? I definitely didn't think so. l hope it was a mere handful of readers who remarked.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Dot,

I know you're not the type to suck up.:smileyhappy:

As to Full of Grace - it's still one of my favorites. Too serious? I definitely didn't think so. l hope it was a mere handful of readers who remarked.

Too Serious? I didn't think so! Hey! its about life. It has to be alittle serious!
But it was still a delightful read. It rates up there for me anyway.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hey Dot?
I was just wondering. I tend to read more than one book at a time and as we are discussing this one, I just happened to pick up a thriller for $5 by an author I dont know. The first 5 pages were spooky so had to get it lol. The author's name is Tina Wainscott and it says she lives in Florida and North Carolina and has written over a dozen books. From some of the reviews in it, I take it not all of her novels have been suspense thrillers. One they did call a romantic thriller too tho. Anyway, this is really a pretty good thriller so far, some scary parts! I was just wondering, since some authors know a lot of others and she lives in NC too, do you know her? Or know her work? I gather her protagonists are all women. I like a good thriller, oh I like all kinds of books, but if your going to read one like this, its nice to have a book like yours to fall back on too lol. One scary, suspenseful, one a humorous wonderful read with some poignant parts too. A little balance thing I guess lol :smileywink: Anyway,the book is called Until the Day You Die and I really just wanted to know if you knew the author. Thanks . Vivian

I am going to be reading a thriller for Aug too and so I need one of your books to balance that out too :smileywink: I love how you write and think, and since this is my first book of yours, what would you suggest to read for August then, that you have written? Also I read on some of the threads that one of your books you considered more serious or something and caught some flack for it from some. I like serious too, I wasnt sure what you meant by it was a more serious book, but I am sure I will need to check it out too. But not while I do the thriller lol. For the clubs this month, I read your book and one serious true one about a blind man that was given his sight back and it was an incredible book and story. Ok, this club it not about other books lol, so back to what you would suggest for one of your new fans second read? thanks again.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Hey Dot?
I was just wondering. I tend to read more than one book at a time and as we are discussing this one, I just happened to pick up a thriller for $5 by an author I dont know. The first 5 pages were spooky so had to get it lol. The author's name is Tina Wainscott and it says she lives in Florida and North Carolina and has written over a dozen books. From some of the reviews in it, I take it not all of her novels have been suspense thrillers. One they did call a romantic thriller too tho. Anyway, this is really a pretty good thriller so far, some scary parts! I was just wondering, since some authors know a lot of others and she lives in NC too, do you know her? Or know her work? I gather her protagonists are all women. I like a good thriller, oh I like all kinds of books, but if your going to read one like this, its nice to have a book like yours to fall back on too lol. One scary, suspenseful, one a humorous wonderful read with some poignant parts too. A little balance thing I guess lol :smileywink: Anyway,the book is called Until the Day You Die and I really just wanted to know if you knew the author. Thanks . Vivian

I am going to be reading a thriller for Aug too and so I need one of your books to balance that out too :smileywink: I love how you write and think, and since this is my first book of yours, what would you suggest to read for August then, that you have written? Also I read on some of the threads that one of your books you considered more serious or something and caught some flack for it from some. I like serious too, I wasnt sure what you meant by it was a more serious book, but I am sure I will need to check it out too. But not while I do the thriller lol. For the clubs this month, I read your book and one serious true one about a blind man that was given his sight back and it was an incredible book and story. Ok, this club it not about other books lol, so back to what you would suggest for one of your new fans second read? thanks again.

I don't know Tina but then she is in a different genre and authors bump into each other at all these Anne Rivers siddons, Cassandra King, Josephine humphreys, Patti Callahan Henry etc but if we wrote mysteries, we'd know an entirely different crowd of writers. What to read? Of mine? PLANTATION, definitely or FULL OF GRACE, which is the slightly controversial one but based on a true story.

BTW, I am off to West VA today with my husband for a conference for his business and I ASSUME they have WiFi there so I can continue but if there is a problem, it's not cuz I bailed. I will be home on Thursday but making every effort to stay in the game until then! Thanks!

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

PS TO THAT

Somehow I lost some text - what I was attempting to post was that writer's conferences and the like lump writers together for panels etc. based on our genres. But I have met writers like Mary Higgins Clark, Debbie Macomber or Francine Prose for other reasons and love them to death. Met Simon Schama this year and found him worthy of drool. Met Barbara Taylor Bradford this year several times as well. It's a big world out there! So many writers! And, pss, I knew Doug Marlette who died last week. Now there was a peach of a guy . . .

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dotfrank wrote:

I don't know Tina but then she is in a different genre and authors bump into each other at all these Anne Rivers siddons, Cassandra King, Josephine humphreys, Patti Callahan Henry etc but if we wrote mysteries, we'd know an entirely different crowd of writers. What to read? Of mine? PLANTATION, definitely or FULL OF GRACE, which is the slightly controversial one but based on a true story.

BTW, I am off to West VA today with my husband for a conference for his business and I ASSUME they have WiFi there so I can continue but if there is a problem, it's not cuz I bailed. I will be home on Thursday but making every effort to stay in the game until then! Thanks!

Thanks Dot, I will write those two down. I love books based on true stories too, so that would be great. Controversial? sounds intriguing then! I thought, who better to ask, where do I go next with an authors books, than the author! Thats a great help :smileywink:.

p.s. have a good safe trip and if we dont see you before Thurs. we will understand. And if we dont see you till friday, we will know it took a day after you got back to read all the new posts! LOL

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-22-2007 11:06 AM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

Re: Unrelated Questions for Dot

Hi Dot..........this is not a question, just a few comments.

I loved "Full Of Grace." I think because it was funny as well as serious. Those characters were just too much ! I laughed out loud, as I read some of the character's comments, especially the Italian dad. I actually enjoy having some controversial, thought-provoking content thrown in. I am still reading for fun, but it gives reason to stop and re-look at some of my views.

I didn't know that you had a Christmas book coming out. I have a collection of Christmas books by favorite authors, so I already know that yours will be top of my list.

Your descriptions of SC are so vivid, that Charleston is now #1 on my list of places I would like to visit. I will have to visit the surrounding islands at the same time. Right now I am reading "Pawley's Island." Love it as much as "Sullivan's Island" and the others that I have read.

You are, by far, my favorite southern author (even though you spend part of your life up the that frozen north.)

Janet (former northerner, current Floridian)
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:

I loved "Full Of Grace." I think because it was funny as well as serious. Those characters were just too much ! I laughed out loud, as I read some of the character's comments, especially the Italian dad. I actually enjoy having some controversial, thought-provoking content thrown in. I am still reading for fun, but it gives reason to stop and re-look at some of my views.

I didn't know that you had a Christmas book coming out. I have a collection of Christmas books by favorite authors, so I already know that yours will be top of my list.

)

Hey Homereader, welcome to this club. I am new to Dot's books but yes there are others here who are long time fans. Several of us have become fans with this book tho :smileywink: . If you are reading all the threads, Dot said today that she is going to be gone till thurs. but will try to get online with us before then. If not, she will be back. Only nine days left of the club! And weekends are very slow in all the clubs it seems. I may have to check out Full of Grace myself.Have fun tho and there are others of us around this week until she can come back for a few days anyway :smileywink:

Oh hey, I noticed people talking about the Christmas book and I just assumed that the due out date for this was around Christmas, until I read a few other posts. I dont read a lot of fiction or any one particular author, tho I am starting to look for certain authors now. You say you have a collection of Christmas books from your favorite authors, are these special books some authors put out? What is a Christmas book? lol anyone tell me? This is something new to me.
Vivian
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Hello from WEst VIrginia!!!

Guess what? I have WIFI!!! SO here I am at the Green Briar and off to a mud bath in a minuite = which I will report all the details later on. Christmas book comes out October 23 and I don't know why so dont' ask me. But the definition is a story that takes place around the holiday and has some special holiday meaning to impart. In this case, it's a very small book with a very big message. It's about the power of love and commitment. And it could only happen when the whole family is gathered together so I guess that's why there is a glut of Thanksgiving, summer vacation / reunion, Christmas books. And no, I still won't get that pony! HA! Y'all have a great day and I'll check in later! Dot

Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

homereader wrote:

)

Hey Homereader, welcome to this club. I am new to Dot's books but yes there are others here who are long time fans. Several of us have become fans with this book tho :smileywink: . If you are reading all the threads, Dot said today that she is going to be gone till thurs. but will try to get online with us before then. If not, she will be back. Only nine days left of the club! And weekends are very slow in all the clubs it seems. I may have to check out Full of Grace myself.Have fun tho and there are others of us around this week until she can come back for a few days anyway :smileywink:

Oh hey, I noticed people talking about the Christmas book and I just assumed that the due out date for this was around Christmas, until I read a few other posts. I dont read a lot of fiction or any one particular author, tho I am starting to look for certain authors now. You say you have a collection of Christmas books from your favorite authors, are these special books some authors put out? What is a Christmas book? lol anyone tell me? This is something new to me.

Hi Vivicol,

Thanks for getting me oriented and letting me know there are 9 days left. I knew it was kind of close to the end, but I was embarassed to ask how close. I would definitely recommend "Full Of Grace." I am not sure why Dot said it was controversial. It was a little bit meatier than the other books, and I enjoyed having a little "brain teaser" at the same time. As for Christmas books, I have just noticed that in about the past 5 years or so, there are little books that come out by well known authors, that focus on Christmas or have some kind of a holiday message. The first one I read was "Skipping Christmas," by John Grisham. I loved it, because it was such a departure from his usual style. It was also very funny to read just before Christmas. I was so disappointed when it was made into a movie. I never saw the movie, but I felt as if it really commercialized something that was a funny little readable gem. I now have about 8-10 of these little books. I cannot remember the authors off hand, because I put the little books away when I put my Christmas decorations away. That way, it is a surprise when I decorate the next year. Anyhow, if I like the author, I typically like the Christmas book, so Dot's new Christmas book will be a "must have" for me. Nice meeting you. I am sure I will "see you" again over the next 9 days.

Janet from Central FL
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

homereader,
NP about asking how long we have left lol, but its not long since not much goes on , on the weekends. Thanks for heads up on christmas books and yes, you will see me around :smileywink:
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from WEst VIrginia!!!

Dot,

I'm so glad you're on the 'net, I hope it's a good strong signal. The mud bath sounds intriguing... I wonder how that would feel? And then after? Do tell!
Stephanie
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

IT turned out to be a sulphur bath - smelled like 10000000 rotten eggs - got in anyway cuz I'm a sport and thought, oh mercy, can I endure this and will i reek? Well, I floated, of all things and the next thing I knew the swelling in my ankle and in my hands was gone. GO figure. Then I took a HUGE shower!!!!! SMell gone. Whew!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Dot,
That sounded like fun! (not), but that's interesting about the swelling going away...AND the smell, thank goodness for BIG favors! Is the mud next? :smileyhappy:
K.

dotfrank wrote:
IT turned out to be a sulphur bath - smelled like 10000000 rotten eggs - got in anyway cuz I'm a sport and thought, oh mercy, can I endure this and will i reek? Well, I floated, of all things and the next thing I knew the swelling in my ankle and in my hands was gone. GO figure. Then I took a HUGE shower!!!!! SMell gone. Whew!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Plantation - Question

Dot,
On the first page of your book, Plantation, there is an obituary - Who is the woman in the pictures?

K.
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 468 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: