Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: Plantation - Question

That's my sister!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from WEst VIrginia!!!

no mud.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Ah, Ha! I saw a family resemblance! Thanks, finally mystery solved! Beautiful sister, by the way! :smileyhappy:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
IT turned out to be a sulphur bath - smelled like 10000000 rotten eggs - got in anyway cuz I'm a sport and thought, oh mercy, can I endure this and will i reek? Well, I floated, of all things and the next thing I knew the swelling in my ankle and in my hands was gone. GO figure. Then I took a HUGE shower!!!!! SMell gone. Whew!

LOL how funny Dot, down our way, across the stateline in Arkansas people go for the sulphur springs all the time. Actually I think there is a town called sulphur springs in Oklahoma and I am told the whole town stinks LOL. I couldnt live there but I am told people love the springs and for arthritis too. Wonder who was the first person to say, GEEEESHHHH smells like something died in there!!! I think I will get in it for a good soaking!!! lolol, I am amazed anything strange but good ever gets invented or discovered hehehe.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
IT turned out to be a sulphur bath - smelled like 10000000 rotten eggs - got in anyway cuz I'm a sport and thought, oh mercy, can I endure this and will i reek? Well, I floated, of all things and the next thing I knew the swelling in my ankle and in my hands was gone. GO figure. Then I took a HUGE shower!!!!! SMell gone. Whew!

Okay, floating in a sulphur bath. What was the consistency, like water? You are a sport! Did you ask for nose plugs?

Glad it was physically beneficial. Is the swelling still gone?

What smelly things are on the rest of your agenda? :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
CAT72
0 Kudos

Too funny...:smileyvery-happy:

dotfrank wrote:

UPCOUTRY GIRL...LOWCOUNTRY HEART!!!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

Did the swelling come back after the shower to get the reeking smell off? If not, I will have to try that, in the summer time I have a time with swelling ankles!
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Christmas books

homereader wrote:
I have just noticed that in about the past 5 years or so, there are little books that come out by well known authors, that focus on Christmas or have some kind of a holiday message. The first one I read was "Skipping Christmas," by John Grisham. I loved it, because it was such a departure from his usual style. It was also very funny to read just before Christmas. I was so disappointed when it was made into a movie. I never saw the movie, but I felt as if it really commercialized something that was a funny little readable gem. I now have about 8-10 of these little books. I cannot remember the authors off hand, because I put the little books away when I put my Christmas decorations away. That way, it is a surprise when I decorate the next year. Anyhow, if I like the author, I typically like the Christmas book, so Dot's new Christmas book will be a "must have" for me. Nice meeting you. I am sure I will "see you" again over the next 9 days.

Janet from Central FL

I love those little books too. You're right, it does seem like they really started to pop a lot of them out about 5 years ago. Skipping Christmas was such a cute book and so unexpected from Grisham. I can't wait to see what there is this year.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Thank you Dot!

Dot, I was wondered if Precilla, think I spelled it wrong, but Charlie's girlfriend, where or how did you choose this name for her. This is not an Jamaican name is it? I do not have a baby name dictionary so I didn't know. To me the name seems so american. She was born in America, right, or not. I cant remember beans. !!! I know the price of them though. ha.
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

My story from the Greenbrier

Dot and All--

We stayed there years ago. Love the grounds and they have some cute shops.

But my Greenbrier story--My husband had this Polo shirt that was shot. It had a hole under the armpit and faded. So I put it in the trash in the bathroom and even put some stuff on top so the housekeeping staff would know I meant to throw it away. We left the Greenbrier and went to some other places. When we got home there was a package at the door. The red Polo shirt was freshly laundered and folded in the package. All this at no charge.

Later--

Mair
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
Ah, Ha! I saw a family resemblance! Thanks, finally mystery solved! Beautiful sister, by the way! :smileyhappy:

I saw the resemblance, too. And she's beautiful like you, Dot. Quit blushing!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: My story from the Greenbrier

mairwill wrote:
Dot and All--

But my Greenbrier story--My husband had this Polo shirt that was shot. It had a hole under the armpit and faded. So I put it in the trash in the bathroom and even put some stuff on top so the housekeeping staff would know I meant to throw it away. We left the Greenbrier and went to some other places. When we got home there was a package at the door. The red Polo shirt was freshly laundered and folded in the package. All this at no charge.

Later--

Mair

Oh, my gosh! That is so funny! :smileyvery-happy: So, Mair, were does that infamous shirt reside now? :smileyhappy:

Kathy
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Re: My story from the Greenbrier

KathyS wrote:

mairwill wrote:
Dot and All--

Later--

Mair

Oh, my gosh! That is so funny! :smileyvery-happy: So, Mair, were does that infamous shirt reside now? :smileyhappy:

Kathy

JD wore it another time (since it was all nice and clean and folded) and then I threw it away again. My garbage men did not launder it and fold it and put it by our door like the Greenbrier housekeeping staff!
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

mairwill wrote:

KathyS wrote:

I saw the resemblance, too. And she's beautiful like you, Dot. Quit blushing!

What? You got video computer? Is Big Sister watching? Y'all are too funny but thanks.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

choosing names

kiakar wrote:
Dot, I was wondered if Precilla, think I spelled it wrong, but Charlie's girlfriend, where or how did you choose this name for her. This is not an Jamaican name is it? I do not have a baby name dictionary so I didn't know. To me the name seems so american. She was born in America, right, or not. I cant remember beans. !!! I know the price of them though. ha.

Dot,
This is similar to a question I've always wondered about. How do you choose all of your characters names? Do you just pick something you like, look through books, do you use the same process each time? And is it fun to do or is it a real chore to get it just right? I'm just curious because the names suit these characters so well.
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: choosing names

What a funny question! But a good one! Miriam had to have just the right name. I had a nun who was my grammar school principal named, what else, Sister Miriam. She scared the devil out of me and in later years I came to see what a sweetheart she really was. She would've been Sister Mellie! Sometimes I name characters after friends and sometimes I use the phone book. It took me five books to remember to use search and replace for names like Josephine - type them as Jo and then go back. Short names are good.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
What a funny question! But a good one! Miriam had to have just the right name. I had a nun who was my grammar school principal named, what else, Sister Miriam. She scared the devil out of me and in later years I came to see what a sweetheart she really was. She would've been Sister Mellie! Sometimes I name characters after friends and sometimes I use the phone book. It took me five books to remember to use search and replace for names like Josephine - type them as Jo and then go back. Short names are good.

I think Julie Andrews in the sound of music was more of a Sister Mellie lol :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Dot, those kid's names were outrageous! I mean, really! I've never seen you play words like that before! :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-28-2007 10:51 AM
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
Dot, those kid's names were outrageous! I mean, really! I've never seen you play words like that before! :smileyvery-happy:

I wonder sometimes if anyone will notice. Thanks! PS there's a Huge article in the NY TImes magazine section today on emoticons.

KathyS
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

KathyS wrote:

I wonder sometimes if anyone will notice. Thanks! PS there's a Huge article in the NY TImes magazine section today on emoticons.

I don't get the NY Times....were there pros and cons on using them? Some people I know use them, :smileyhappy: some hate them. :smileytongue: I don't need them, I just think they're :smileyvery-happy:
Users Online
Currently online: 16 members 555 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: