Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Re: Whole Book Discussion: Forgiving Judith

All--

I don't think Miriam needs to forgive Judith.

The ladies on The View had a discussion earlier this week about who to be madder at if the guy screwed around--the man or the woman? Joy said blame the woman because the man didn't know any better, but Elisabeth put the blame on the man.

The man who screwed around is to blame. So Judith doesn't need forgiving. And I also agree, Judith did Miriam a favor and it ended up giving her a better life. I believe this: "Things have a way of working out."

Later--

Mair
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Whole Book Discussion: Forgiving Judith

Mair, this song just POPped into my head! High Hopes!

Next time your found, with your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin low
stead of lettin go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your backs to the wall
There a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought he'd punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin that dam

cause he had high hopes, he had high hopes
He had high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your feelin bad
stead of feelin sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

All problems just a toy balloon
They'll be bursted soon
They're just bound to go pop!
Oops there goes another problem kerplop!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Marianne?

M m m m m m Mair, you'll always be to Me!

K.
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Re: Marianne?

KathyS wrote:
M m m m m m Mair, you'll always be to Me!

K.

And you'll always be Kathy to me! LOL!
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

High Hopes

KathyS--

I love that song. Sometimes I sing a little bit of it to myself.

Later--

Mair
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Re: High Hopes

Miriram/Mellie was confused. No reason to forgive Judith - she was a terrible person! And she had NOT become what she despised most. Miriam's newly opened heart is going to take some adjusting to for her. She loves sweeping gestures - forgive everyone! Condemn everyone! Love everyone! Well, Miss Mellie shoulda figured it would be a one day, one incident at a time kinda thing. But that's why she has Kevin, Harrison and her mom - to temper her decisions. WE need friends. We all do.

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:
Miriram/Mellie was confused. No reason to forgive Judith - she was a terrible person! And she had NOT become what she despised most. Miriam's newly opened heart is going to take some adjusting to for her. She loves sweeping gestures - forgive everyone! Condemn everyone! Love everyone! Well, Miss Mellie shoulda figured it would be a one day, one incident at a time kinda thing. But that's why she has Kevin, Harrison and her mom - to temper her decisions. WE need friends. We all do.

We Sure do! I will section that again and again!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

Amen to friends! They are often your famiy. And you do allow them the right to temper your judgments with good advice that may differ from yours, but you know they're not being judgmental of you, they're just being a good caring friend looking out for you when at times you may be headed down a dangerous path, emotionally or otherwise. Actually, sometimes, I think we allow our friends more freedom to speak to us on such matters than we do our families. I love my friends, even when we are mad at each other at times lol :smileywink:.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

You bet we all need friends. They are my mainstay, even if they live 1,000 miles away. Friends give us feedback based on how well they know us. When I notice a trend in what friends are saying to me, I pay attention.

Janet from Central, FL
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

homereader wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

You bet we all need friends. They are my mainstay, even if they live 1,000 miles away. Friends give us feedback based on how well they know us. When I notice a trend in what friends are saying to me, I pay attention.

Janet from Central, FL

Yes, friends anyway you get them, are an absoletely an asset. I love my on line friends, I hope some day we can meet but they are a joy to me now. They fill up so many hours of fun and reading and having a ball. We share so much information to fill a stadium. I have four or five close friends that I go out with and such but then I wouldn't feel fulfilled without my online pals. I have a online friend in Richmond, that I have kep t up with since the first Dot Frank book where we met. We have met alot in Charlottesville, that is half way for both of us. We share all the hardships we indure and lots of joys. I would not ever want to end this friendship or any others I have made online. They are quite precious.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

dotfrank wrote:

Miriam was very gracious to Judith considering all of the crap she went through during the wedding. Judith was very selfish as usual but Miriam put her son's needs first and worked hard to make it a wonderful occasion. That would have been so hard to do.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Miriam was very gracious to Judith considering all of the crap she went through during the wedding. Judith was very selfish as usual but Miriam put her son's needs first and worked hard to make it a wonderful occasion. That would have been so hard to do.

That really showed some personal growth!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

That really showed some personal growth!

It's a good thing it was a book because Judith got a taste of what she deserved and so did Charles. They needed to be embarrassed in public. Dot was too nice to them though for all they had put Miriam through. ( It's those southern manners Dot! :smileyhappy: )I did like the phone conversation on pg 328-329. Go Miriam!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Yes, I was certainly saying to myself, " Tell the creep to go blow her face off) I know, terrible me. hehehe
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Yes, I was certainly saying to myself, " Tell the creep to go blow her face off) I know, terrible me. hehehe

Blow her face off??? MAN you do have a dark side kiakar lol. geessh! :smileywink: j/k....but i will be keeping an eye on you!
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Blow her face off??? MAN you do have a dark side kiakar lol. geessh! :smileywink: j/k....but i will be keeping an eye on you!

Yea; Viv, but watch out for your own bright lights! hehehehe
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

No kidding! That's scary Kiakar but I know it must be the late hour because you really have a heart of "gold". :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Wrighty on 07-25-2007 02:17 AM
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

No kidding! That's scary Kiakar but I know it must be the late hour because you really have a heart of "gold". :smileyhappy:

center filled too huh wrighty hehe :smileywink:
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Well, you know, Wrighty, you know what our buddy says about me; "I have a dark side" hehehehe
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I thought Miriam was very gracious to Judith at the wedding, and that if MY family had been there, that woman wouldn't have made it out the door. My sisters would have vivisected her!
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 49 members 336 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: