vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: using pot

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

kiakar wrote:
Wow! I didn't know that either; I always took it was for pain. But nausea is a big factor in treating cancer.

Kiakar, when I first read your post I thought you said "I always took it for pain." I guess I need to pay more attention and get it right the first time! :smileywink:

Hey: Knowing me, I probably said that; haha! But no, I have never even tried the stuff! Not yet, anyway. Who knows, what you might do before you die!

soooo, this is you without pain meds??? :smileysurprised: lol :smileywink:

No, I swear on a double stack of bibles, never have I ever, I really do not know what it smells like. That I should have known, with raising children, but still after being told by some friends, what it smells like. I do not reconize the smell. Now if that ain't inocent, I don't know what is!

OHHHH, you are talking about pot here! ROFL, I just was thinking about the pain meds in general and at first, i was going to say, well dont sniff the darn pills silly, no wonder you are having troubles! lol :smileytongue:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
sarahsal
0 Kudos

Re: Whole Book Discussion: Miss Josie

dotfrank wrote:
Ladies, ladies, ladies . . . Let's say Miss Josie was smoking pot because it made her feel good. Um, no duh. Perhaps there is another agenda - yuh. But is that agenda the point of the book? No. It is the mother daughter relationship and anyone who thinks daughters don't judge mothers can't have a daughter like mine. Daughters are your greatest blessing but it can also be like living with a terrorist. There is a misplaced fire in Miriam. Lord! She thinks she knows it all! And she has been kicked around by her life in the big city so badly that her judgment is all out of whack. Haven't we all felt like that for one reason or another?

The theme of the mother/daughter relationship really hits home with me. My mother, 89, in perfect health and very dynamic (reads two newspapers everyday) lives about 10 minutes from me. My two daughters (31 & 37 married with children, live within 15 minutes of me) Add in granddaughters and a sister, equally close. And it is all about those female relationships. The growth and fluidity (?word) is constant...ebb and flow. I learn from everyone and must constantly change (as well as bite my tongue from time to time). I see this really great intergenerational thing going, especially my mother with her granddaughters. Another really interesting relationship dynamic....I hope I will be able to have as warm and supportive relationship with my granddaughters.
I love Miss Josie and Mellie...I think some of the growth hasn't happened because both of their lives were so far apart, both physically and emotional. They were stuck in assumptions...M kept herself in a box and didn't see her mother as a real person.
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

sarahsal wrote:

dotfrank wrote:
Ladies, ladies, ladies . . . Let's say Miss Josie was smoking pot because it made her feel good. Um, no duh. Perhaps there is another agenda - yuh. But is that agenda the point of the book? No. It is the mother daughter relationship and anyone who thinks daughters don't judge mothers can't have a daughter like mine. Daughters are your greatest blessing but it can also be like living with a terrorist. There is a misplaced fire in Miriam. Lord! She thinks she knows it all! And she has been kicked around by her life in the big city so badly that her judgment is all out of whack. Haven't we all felt like that for one reason or another?

The theme of the mother/daughter relationship really hits home with me. My mother, 89, in perfect health and very dynamic (reads two newspapers everyday) lives about 10 minutes from me. My two daughters (31 & 37 married with children, live within 15 minutes of me) Add in granddaughters and a sister, equally close. And it is all about those female relationships. The growth and fluidity (?word) is constant...ebb and flow. I learn from everyone and must constantly change (as well as bite my tongue from time to time). I see this really great intergenerational thing going, especially my mother with her granddaughters. Another really interesting relationship dynamic....I hope I will be able to have as warm and supportive relationship with my granddaughters.
I love Miss Josie and Mellie...I think some of the growth hasn't happened because both of their lives were so far apart, both physically and emotional. They were stuck in assumptions...M kept herself in a box and didn't see her mother as a real person.

I love your post!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

Group: Did you think Miss Josie was smoking pot for the fun of it, or did you understand her underlying motive?

Do you think Miriam misunderstood because so much about her mother seemed changed, or do you think she was just too wrapped up in herself?

I suspected that Miss Josie had cancer, and that she was losing weight because of it. The smoking marijuana, in my mind could have been either for symptom management or her thumbing her nose at "conventional ways" and living her life the way she wanted.

That said, let me share that when my father lost 20 unexplained pounds a few months before my wedding the thought never occured to me that he might have cancer. I am a nurse, and I didn't get it.
I suspected Miss Josie's problem, because, as a reader, I was able to see things more objectively.

I think Miriam misunderstood, because she was too close to the situation. It was her mom, and when it is your parent, it is too hard to see the what is obvious to an "outsider." For sure, Miriam was very wrapped up in herself, but I think it is also a human tendency to deny that which is too painful to accept.

Miriam, or Mellie, as she evolved to be, was blessed to have time with her mom and the opportunity to come to know her in a more mature way.

I am now in my 50's, my mom is in her 80's. It is a blessing that she has had a long life, because it is only in recent years (maybe the last 5-8 years), that my relationship with my mom has become more real. I spent decades keeping her at a distance. I think it is seeing her become more frail that has helped me get a more balanced view of her. To me, she always seemed so strong and dominant. Now, it is like being Dorothy, discovering the Wizard of Oz.
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Janet,

Good point about Miriam being too close to the situation to see it clearly. I know what you mean about seeing our parents as strong, even when they're not. It was very hard for me to believe that anything could fell my father. Hardest time of my life.
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Janet,

Good point about Miriam being too close to the situation to see it clearly. I know what you mean about seeing our parents as strong, even when they're not. It was very hard for me to believe that anything could fell my father. Hardest time of my life.

I really feel that is how we learn to be strong. We see our parents as the hardened armor against the world. The armor that will never let harm befall us. We later lean on the heavenly father, but at a young age, our parents are our guardians against the toughest storms that try to delude our given strength. And when we reach a certain age we began to see our parents volilabilty or weakness and it makes us shutter to think we might be in this world alone with no one to back us with strength. But luckily we have the heavenly father who never gives out of strength. That always holds that wall of armor up for us and fully protects us.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

And when we reach a certain age we began to see our parents volilabilty or weakness and it makes us shutter to think we might be in this world alone with no one to back us with strength. But luckily we have the heavenly father who never gives out of strength. That always holds that wall of armor up for us and fully protects us.

Sometimes you dont have family of any kind around or sometimes they have all passed on already. Thats when you are really grateful for your friends and make your family from your friends. And your right, we always have our Heavenly Father and we dont have to question his love or motives as a parent :smileywink: Lets hear it for our friends! I think I will meet some of my blood family one day, on the other side,maybe all of them and then I will get to feel those kinds of connections and have them too! But right now, God bless my friends, they are his dearest gifts to me.:smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
homereader
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Janet,

I really feel that is how we learn to be strong. We see our parents as the hardened armor against the world. The armor that will never let harm befall us. We later lean on the heavenly father, but at a young age, our parents are our guardians against the toughest storms that try to delude our given strength. And when we reach a certain age we began to see our parents volilabilty or weakness and it makes us shutter to think we might be in this world alone with no one to back us with strength. But luckily we have the heavenly father who never gives out of strength. That always holds that wall of armor up for us and fully protects us.

That was beautifully stated, kiakar. In my own life, I can relate to the process of realizing that my parents are mortal, and my husband, also for that matter. I have made the shift to depending on God for strength and protection. I just didn't have that frame of mind when I was younger.

Janet from Central FL
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

And when we reach a certain age we began to see our parents volilabilty or weakness and it makes us shutter to think we might be in this world alone with no one to back us with strength. But luckily we have the heavenly father who never gives out of strength. That always holds that wall of armor up for us and fully protects us.

Sometimes you dont have family of any kind around or sometimes they have all passed on already. Thats when you are really grateful for your friends and make your family from your friends. And your right, we always have our Heavenly Father and we dont have to question his love or motives as a parent :smileywink: Lets hear it for our friends! I think I will meet some of my blood family one day, on the other side,maybe all of them and then I will get to feel those kinds of connections and have them too! But right now, God bless my friends, they are his dearest gifts to me.:smileyhappy:

Vivian, you are quite a dear! So glad that I met you on line and hope that I am considerered one of your dear friends. Because I do consider you as one. Friends are everything and are very precious. We should keep them in our site. No matter how dull the vision gets.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Vivian, you are quite a dear! So glad that I met you on line and hope that I am considerered one of your dear friends. Because I do consider you as one. Friends are everything and are very precious. We should keep them in our site. No matter how dull the vision gets.

Ya know you are kiddo, ya know you are :smileywink:
Vivian
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Ahhhh, I think I'm going to cry....a match made in heaven!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Ahhhh, I think I'm going to cry....a match made in heaven!

You are so right! KathyS., There are no matches when it comes to friends, you just have to be there to cheer on and not judge...........
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

This is one of those things I love about these book clubs- the friendships that are created here are so numerous. I'm so honored to be a part of this forum- able to discuss excellent books with their authors-- and all of you readers are what make it so worthwhile.

I can't thank you all enough- words don't suffice.
Stephanie
Author
dotfrank
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
This is one of those things I love about these book clubs- the friendships that are created here are so numerous. I'm so honored to be a part of this forum- able to discuss excellent books with their authors-- and all of you readers are what make it so worthwhile.

I can't thank you all enough- words don't suffice.

That goes double for me!

Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.

Users Online
Currently online:62 members 427 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: