Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Early Chapters: Don Juan's Friendship with the Marquis

Why do you think the Marquis makes Don Juan a noble and teaches him to be a great libertine and seducer? What do you think of the Marquis' relationship to Don Juan? What motivates his relationship to Don Juan? Power? Affection? Admiration?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through the chapter titled "The Education of a Libertine" (through p. 80). Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after "The Education of a Libertine" please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters: Don Juan's Friendship with the Marquis

Stephanie wrote:

Why do you think the Marquis makes Don Juan a noble and teaches him to be a great libertine and seducer? What do you think of the Marquis' relationship to Don Juan? What motivates his relationship to Don Juan? Power? Affection? Admiration?

I think the Marquis is looking for someone to spy for him through the women of a family. If Don Juan seduces them, the Marquis figures that in the pillow talk following the liaison that the women will reveal something about their husbands or fathers that the Marquis can use to his political advantage. The Marquis is a user but Don Juan is too smart for him. He has figured out what the Marquis wants and makes it a point of honor not to reveal whose bed he was in nor what was spoken between them. The Marquis is motivated by power. He wants it and is willing to use anyone or do anything necessary to get the power. We see that later in the book. At one time maybe there was affection and admiration between the two men but the affection is long gone. Don Juan feels a gratitude to the Marquis while the Marquis feels as though Don Juan owes him for what he has taught him and given to him, namely his nobility.

Sheila
Author
DouglasAbrams
0 Kudos

smg5775 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

I think the Marquis is looking for someone to spy for him through the women of a family. If Don Juan seduces them, the Marquis figures that in the pillow talk following the liaison that the women will reveal something about their husbands or fathers that the Marquis can use to his political advantage. The Marquis is a user but Don Juan is too smart for him. He has figured out what the Marquis wants and makes it a point of honor not to reveal whose bed he was in nor what was spoken between them. The Marquis is motivated by power. He wants it and is willing to use anyone or do anything necessary to get the power. We see that later in the book. At one time maybe there was affection and admiration between the two men but the affection is long gone. Don Juan feels a gratitude to the Marquis while the Marquis feels as though Don Juan owes him for what he has taught him and given to him, namely his nobility.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Marquis is a user and interested primarily in power, but do you think he has any other feelings for Don Juan? He strikes me as more complex in that he admires Don Juan, even envies him in someway. When he tells Don Juan that he is worthy, do you think he is just manipulating him, or genuinely values Don Juan's hunger and skill.

Doug
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

DouglasAbrams wrote:

smg5775 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly that the Marquis is a user and interested primarily in power, but do you think he has any other feelings for Don Juan? He strikes me as more complex in that he admires Don Juan, even envies him in someway. When he tells Don Juan that he is worthy, do you think he is just manipulating him, or genuinely values Don Juan's hunger and skill.

Doug

I think the Marquis at the beginning enjoyed teaching Don Juan and liked that Don Juan felt gratitude towards him for getting him his nobility. The Marquis had Don Juan under his power and could get him to spy for him. He saw him as the son he wasn't planning on having at that time. So there was love there but when Don Juan wanted the same woman the Marquis then the gloves were off and the Marquis then used everything in his arsenal to destroy Don Juan. Any love or positive feeling between them were gone and on the Marquis' side became full of fear and hate.
Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Doug,

I think the Marquis saw potential in Don Juan from the first, and he also saw that he would need to give in order to receive. He uses everyone, why should Don Juan be different or special? I'm afraid I feared and disliked him immediately - I found myself wishing Don Juan would avoid him.
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 402 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: