Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Early Chapters: Don Juan's Women

The Infanta asks Don Juan what he wants, and he tells her that what he wants "cannot be conquered, only cultivated" (p. 24). What is it that Don Juan wants from the women he seduces?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through the chapter titled "The Education of a Libertine" (through p. 80). Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events that occur after "The Education of a Libertine" please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters: Don Juan's Women

Stephanie wrote:

The Infanta asks Don Juan what he wants, and he tells her that what he wants "cannot be conquered, only cultivated" (p. 24). What is it that Don Juan wants from the women he seduces?

Don Juan wants to give his women the knowledge that they are desirable and lovable. He wants them to know that they can choose how they live and love. He wants them to know that sex and desire are as holy as the sacrifice and penance that is preached in the church. They are God-given rights and to experience them is to experience the love that God has for each of us. Don Juan wants to emphasize the love and mercy of the God of the New Testament versus the God of anger, sacrifice, and penance of the Old Testament that is taught by the church at that time.

Sheila

Sheila
Author
DouglasAbrams
0 Kudos

smg5775 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Don Juan wants to give his women the knowledge that they are desirable and lovable. He wants them to know that they can choose how they live and love. He wants them to know that sex and desire are as holy as the sacrifice and penance that is preached in the church. They are God-given rights and to experience them is to experience the love that God has for each of us. Don Juan wants to emphasize the love and mercy of the God of the New Testament versus the God of anger, sacrifice, and penance of the Old Testament that is taught by the church at that time.

Sheila

Very interesting. I love the many gifts you see in what Don Juan wants to give the women he knows. What do you think he wants from them in return? Doug
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

DouglasAbrams wrote:

smg5775 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Sheila

Very interesting. I love the many gifts you see in what Don Juan wants to give the women he knows. What do you think he wants from them in return? Doug

I'm not sure Don Juan is looking for anything in return. I believe he wants them to be happy and I think when he knows that he has satisfied them both sexually and emotionally that is enough for him. He doesn't want their fidelity or hearts. I feel he wants them to think well of him but not be clinging vines. I think he has a fear of having to been everything and all to one woman so if he keeps a lot of women happy then he doesn't have to be responsible to one. He wants his freedom but the feeling that he has comforted and aided another.
Sheila
Users Online
Currently online:113 members 587 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: