Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group. And let us know what interests you about this book!

Stephanie
New User
kumanakaya
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi,

My name is Joanne and I'm a recent graduate with a BA in English. I am entering the Master's program in Post Secondary TESL Education in the fall, at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, but my love is literature and history. I am an avid reader, I have written a few short stories, published one, written personal accounts, tons of poetry and am finishing up a novel with my granddaughter who is 14. I am also reserching a novel on the Revolutionary War period in Washington D.C., a murder mystery.

I work in a library as well as our local community college, I'm a computer geek. I have 12 grandkids, three children, one husband, three sisters, a writing group (laundry list) a large veggie garden, a small herb garden (yes, in the desert) and a growing library. The subject of Don Juan sounds fascinating and so I have requested the book from my library and will put it in front of everything else I am looking at reading.

My favorite recent book was "The Historian" I couldn't put it down, the research was excellent. I am really looking forward to reading "The Diary" I still have a couple of months before I have to limit myself to textbooks again and so here I go.

Thanks for offering such a succulent meal for a voracious appetite.

Joanne
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Hi Joanne,

Great to have you here! Sounds as though you have a full plate. I have to commend you on that herb garden in the desert. Pretty impressive! I know I have a hard time keeping mine growing in FL.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm Sheila from Pittsburgh, PA. It's been a while since I've done an on-line book club. I am an avid reader and belong to 6 book clubs in my area. I've had the opportunity to meet some of the authors at our book clubs at the local book store. It is a fun experience.

I'm an avid reader and refuse to limit what I read. Some of my favorite books have been THE MEMORY KEEPER'S DAUGHTER by Kim Edwards, ELANTRIS by Brandon Sanderson, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME by Victor Hugo, THE THREE MUSKETEERS by Alexandre Dumas, THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS by James Fenimore Cooper, CASE HISTORIES by Kate Atkinson, THE THIRTEENTH TALE by Diane Satterfield, REVENGE OF THE MIDDLE AGED WOMAN by Elizabeth Buchan, THE GUARDIANS OF GA'HOOLE series by Kathryn Lasky, THE ASSASSIN'S GALLERY by David (I can't remember his last name), THE GOOD GERMAN by Joseph Kanon, COMMITMENT by Dan Savage, THE WORST HARD TIME by Timothy Egan, GENTLEMEN AND PLAYERS by Joanne Harris, PERSEPOLIS I & II by Marjane Satrap, THE GLASS CASTLE by Jeannette Walls, LEFT TO TELL: DISCOVERING GOD AMIDST THE RWANDA HOLOCUAST by Immaculee Ilibagiza, The HARRY POTTER series by J. K. Rowling and manyh more but space prohibits adding them.

I work full time, love the movies, do counted cross-stitch, knit, cook and bake, and just enjoy life.
Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sheila,

What a great book list! I'm partial to many of those myself.

Have you begun Don Juan yet? It's thoroughly enjoyable. I won't say too much here, but I think you're going to find him much more realistic than his legend.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Sheila,

What a great book list! I'm partial to many of those myself.

Have you begun Don Juan yet? It's thoroughly enjoyable. I won't say too much here, but I think you're going to find him much more realistic than his legend.

I have finished it and enjoyed it. Sensual but not graphic. Excellent!
Sheila
Author
DouglasAbrams
0 Kudos

smg5775 wrote:
Hi! I'm Sheila from Pittsburgh, PA. It's been a while since I've done an on-line book club. I am an avid reader and belong to 6 book clubs in my area. I've had the opportunity to meet some of the authors at our book clubs at the local book store. It is a fun experience.

I'm an avid reader and refuse to limit what I read. Some of my favorite books have been THE MEMORY KEEPER'S DAUGHTER by Kim Edwards, ELANTRIS by Brandon Sanderson, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME by Victor Hugo, THE THREE MUSKETEERS by Alexandre Dumas, THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS by James Fenimore Cooper, CASE HISTORIES by Kate Atkinson, THE THIRTEENTH TALE by Diane Satterfield, REVENGE OF THE MIDDLE AGED WOMAN by Elizabeth Buchan, THE GUARDIANS OF GA'HOOLE series by Kathryn Lasky, THE ASSASSIN'S GALLERY by David (I can't remember his last name), THE GOOD GERMAN by Joseph Kanon, COMMITMENT by Dan Savage, THE WORST HARD TIME by Timothy Egan, GENTLEMEN AND PLAYERS by Joanne Harris, PERSEPOLIS I & II by Marjane Satrap, THE GLASS CASTLE by Jeannette Walls, LEFT TO TELL: DISCOVERING GOD AMIDST THE RWANDA HOLOCUAST by Immaculee Ilibagiza, The HARRY POTTER series by J. K. Rowling and manyh more but space prohibits adding them.

I work full time, love the movies, do counted cross-stitch, knit, cook and bake, and just enjoy life.

Sheila, I'm extremely impressed with the six book clubs and your voracious and varied reading. I'm really honored that the Lost Diary has been included on your book shelf. Are your book clubs focused on different kinds of books or are they just with different people. My Mom is a great knitter, and I wrap many of her sweaters around me when I write. I also see that you like ice hockey. Can't claim any expertise, but I have had some fierce and fun games on frozen lakes as a boy around New York.
Author
DouglasAbrams
0 Kudos

kumanakaya wrote:
Hi,

My name is Joanne and I'm a recent graduate with a BA in English. I am entering the Master's program in Post Secondary TESL Education in the fall, at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, but my love is literature and history. I am an avid reader, I have written a few short stories, published one, written personal accounts, tons of poetry and am finishing up a novel with my granddaughter who is 14. I am also reserching a novel on the Revolutionary War period in Washington D.C., a murder mystery.

I work in a library as well as our local community college, I'm a computer geek. I have 12 grandkids, three children, one husband, three sisters, a writing group (laundry list) a large veggie garden, a small herb garden (yes, in the desert) and a growing library. The subject of Don Juan sounds fascinating and so I have requested the book from my library and will put it in front of everything else I am looking at reading.

My favorite recent book was "The Historian" I couldn't put it down, the research was excellent. I am really looking forward to reading "The Diary" I still have a couple of months before I have to limit myself to textbooks again and so here I go.

Thanks for offering such a succulent meal for a voracious appetite.

Joanne

How marvelous, Joanne, that you are pursuing your love of writing and with your granddaughter. One of my seven year old daughters (I have twins) has been writing many stories, and in the "preface" to one of her adventures, she said, "I would like to recommend the stories of my father, another writer..." 12 grandchildren--how blessed you are! I do hope you enjoy the book when you have a chance to read it. It was quite an amazing journey to excavate history and myth through story.

Doug
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

DouglasAbrams wrote:

smg5775 wrote:

Sheila, I'm extremely impressed with the six book clubs and your voracious and varied reading. I'm really honored that the Lost Diary has been included on your book shelf. Are your book clubs focused on different kinds of books or are they just with different people. My Mom is a great knitter, and I wrap many of her sweaters around me when I write. I also see that you like ice hockey. Can't claim any expertise, but I have had some fierce and fun games on frozen lakes as a boy around New York.

I read many different books and the book clubs I go do reflect that. The ones at the local library vary between fiction and non-fiction. In the one we choose what to read for the year each July or August. Most of those books are ones personally recommended by members of the group. The ones at my local book store have specific themes. Some have ended and some are evolving. Currently we have the Gay and Lesbian book club, the Mystery book club, the Women's Study book club, and the Harry Potter Withdrawal book club. In the past we've done the Movie book club, the History book club, the Sci-Fi/Fantasy book club, the Fiction book club, and the Non-Fiction book club. Sometimes the authors have been part of the book club either in person or via telephone. Those ones are very memorable and special to me. The most recent one was Nancy Martin came in for the Mystery book club for her newest book in the Blackbird Sisters Mystery, A CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED DEATH. I didn't know until then she lived in Pittsburgh. She was delightful but unfortunately I was the only one there. But it was wonderful experience to be able to meet her and let her know what I liked about her book and what didn't work for me in the book. Of course, then I had to buy the rest of the series to find out how everyone fits in.

I've been exposed to some very excellent books via book clubs. Many of the books I would not have read on my own but there have been very few I didn't want to read. I've discovered new authors and try genres I would never have explored.

And I'm glad Anaheim won the Stanley Cup.
Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sheila,

The Harry Potter Withdrawal club? LOL! That's hilarious. I imagine quite a few will need to join that one.

I'm jealous, of course - I have the B&N groups which I love unequivocally and believe are the best thing on the Internet, but alas, no face-to-face group. I've been checking one out though... I'll let you know.
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
smg5775
0 Kudos

I enjoy the face to face book clubs especially when we can have the author there. But the on-line can give you different perspectives from different cultures, different parts of the US, both genders (often face to face are mostly female). Both are fun because they expand my reading list.
Sheila
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Sheila,

What I love about these clubs is that we also get readers from other parts of the world - talk about different perspectives and insights! The odd thing is, if they're not native English speakers, they sometimes apologize for their English - and often their command of English grammar is much better than ours, because they haven't gotten into sloppy habits. :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Users Online
Currently online: 26 members 575 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: